ADVERTISEMENT

The future??!!

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
With all the speculation going on about La Salle's situation and the coming seasons, I asked a friend, whose son is still in the program, how the future looks. We talked about a few things and then I asked about the traditional feeder schools and if those connections were still strong. He answered that he thinks he sees the beginnings of the "Health Risk" conscience parents' affect on the game. Where you may have gotten 10-15 players from a certain CYO team a few years ago, now you're lucky if you get 5-8 and that's saying something. Parents just don't want their kids getting hurt, especially concussed!!

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

What i have experienced are mothers seem to be the leading cause of this. Back in the day dads were the leading force in getting their sons to play sports and even the mothers got involved, now with fathers either missing from the kids life to dads not stepping in and pushing for it you are seeing the result. Most of the people who have kids playing football in high school right now are around my age and i am telling you they are allowing their sons to be whimps, sad but true. Parents are pushing for what they believe to be safer sports like Soccer(which I hate it is so Un American) which has a ton of concussions and injuries as well.

This post was edited on 2/3 10:52 AM by sammyk

This post was edited on 2/3 10:54 AM by sammyk

The fact is that over the last several years evidence about football-related brain injuries has been increasing. I would argue that it's irresponsible for a parent not to take notice and not to weigh the evidence and consider what particular football programs are doing to try to limit the risk when deciding whether to encourage/allow a kid to play high school football. Of course, it's ridiculous to expect all risk can be removed from just about any human activity--even sitting for long periods has a harmful effect on one's health! But we can't pretend we don't know what we know, and parents sitting in the stands watching their kids taking a hit to the head are not going to be thinking and feeling what they would have even five years ago.

As I've said on here before, the pool of potential high school football players is shrinking some. That's partly because of demographic changes, e.g. the echo-boomers are mostly past their high-school years, and partly because of the increasing popularity of other sports--as un-American as some might find them. (Who would have thought ten years ago how many Americans would be watching international soccer games at least weekly?) We could also look at the rapidly increasing use of social media. Any idea of how teenagers spend their time these days?

Re how this will affect local schools, especially the PCL. SJP has a big advantage in its ability to draw from a wider geographic area than just about any other school. Its pool too is shrinking, but it's a much bigger pool than LaSalle's, for instance. Infante's very visible involvement in the movement to make football safer is also an asset--as is his very deliberate effort to communicate directly with the mothers of players. But the large social trends are eventually going to affect every school and league.

I think the US is too ADD to not have football or a replacement sport like football around. Plus who is with me in thinking those stupid soccer tunnels that the parents make after the soccer games are just too much

Thoughts? Sure; you are going to have fewer and fewer boys playing at all levels each year.

Football is one sport that is no longer a growth business!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT