ADVERTISEMENT

TEP....DAVID OR GOLIATH?

Dec 4, 2015
Albie, you are the Shepherd. Exodus 13:21: “He went before them by day in a pillar of cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire.” Like Moses, you are leading your flock to the Promised Land. The naysayers and critics will say Imhotep Charter is a football factory, that academics are not important. SEVENTY FIVE colleges and universities have visited the campus this school year, including extended offers from Stanford, Army, Duke, Vanderbilt and see others below. They will accuse you of “being a charter school with unfair advantages”. They would be correct. Please, Albie, allow us to elaborate these injustices and “Wonderous Stories”. What other head man is dropping off kids to homeless shelters and have players whose parents were once on crack? A quote from a current parent: “My main goal was not to lose my son to the streets. Where we are from, a lot of people don’t make it past 18”. You share your “practice field” with a Pop Warner team. It has no goalposts, no wonder you always go for 2. How do you sleep at night (in your car to get to school early) with all these “perks”? That cavernous weight room is a huge draw too. Keeping the extra lunch in your office because you KNOW one or more of your boys won’t have one (you learned that one from Gabe with the Power Bars).The irony is striking. No gray here. White is worried about not being able to afford The Inter-Ac, SJP and LSCHS, and Black is being lambasted for taking advantage of the opportunity. Let them continue throwing stones from their glass houses. “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” Teddy Roosevelt
Mark 9:35 “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant to all.” It is well known that the so-called gurus will say it is about the X’s and the O’s. The fans and observers will say it is about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. The football gods proclaim it lies in the intersection. To take it to the next level, you added X (Gordon) and O (Schmidt). X knows this motto well: “Come to Learn and Leave to Serve”. Exodus 2:22 “I have been a stranger in a strange land.” X learned, assimilated to the new environment and helped serve the first ever Public League hubcap with Y to culminate “The Miracle on 21st Street”.
The journey is complete but many missions are not yet fulfilled. Exodus 3:17 “On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of the land of Egypt (Lonnie Young Rec Center) into a land that I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands (college). This has been going on for decades all over the state in towns such as Elysburg, Mt Carmel, Berwick, Ridley, Coatesville, Uniontown, Aliquippa, Bethlehem, York etc. The gods ask, “Why not East Germantown”? The coal cracker, steel mill and farmer’s sons got their “rides” out and many were the first to hang their diplomas on the backs of this great game.
From Mama Chris: “At a time when our country is talking about young men being shot, being on drugs, being on the streets, look at these scholar athletes. These young men have been working hard all year long, I just really want you to understand the power of what you’re seeing.” Albie, we attest that you have come to serve and have others leave to learn.
MISSIONS ACCOMPLISHED:
TWENTY TWO
sheep led to a greener pasture to feed and grow into rams under your watch.
2 at La Pierce (LA) JUCO: soph DB and Frosh RB
2 at local D-III Delaware Valley: Soph WR and Frosh OL
9 at D-II PSAC schools: 3 Frosh @ IUP (what a pull for the Crimson Hawks) a WR, QB, and DL. 3 at West Chester: Frosh LB, Soph RB and JR DE. 3 more Frosh scattered: DB at Kutztown, CB at Millersville and LB at Lock Haven.
2 at FCS colleges: Frosh DL @ Rhode Island and Soph DB @ Maine.
7 at FBS schools: 3 Freshmen: WR at Maryland, and two OL at Temple, 3 Sophomores: WR at UMASS, DB at Arizona State, RB at South Carolina, Senior TE at Temple
MISSIONS TO BE COMPLETED: (from the only Philly school ever to win 15 games in a season):
JUNIOR TE committed to Florida State (offers from USC, Michigan, Alabama, Miami, Oregon, Auburn and others—over 20 offers in total)
SENIOR OL offers from several schools including Auburn, Oklahoma, UCLA, Purdue, VA Tech and Wisconsin
SENIOR RB committed to Arizona (offers from Maryland, Syracuse, UCONN and others)
SENIOR OLB committed to Penn State (offers from Duke, UNC, Vanderbilt—our guess is he got through the clearinghouse)
OL offers 6 FBS schools including Arizona State and Illinois
OL 7 total offers including Villanova, Delaware and Temple
WR offer from Youngstown State
OLB offers from Army and Duke (Stanford visited—-admissions must have been snowballed….everyone gets into these places….)
RB offer from Monmouth
SR ATH interest from Missouri, West VA
JUNIOR has Princeton and Yale poking around, any questions from the peanut gallery?
SOPH Safety already offers from UNC, Temple and Wisconsin
SOPH OL (listed 6’7” 342lbs) offer from Texas Tech, we think there could be more, just a hunch.
This does NOT include JUCO, Divison II or III commits.
Albie, since being courted from West Catholic, the record stands at 55-6, 4 Public League chips, 3 District 12 trophies and two appearances in the state finals, including a first ever hubcap for a Philly Public League squad this past season. Both the PA AAA COY and Top 10 USA Today national ranking are also impressive. More importantly, however, the football gods affirm your character development and exemplary leadership of impressionable (almost oblivious and naïve) young men. You have instilled a sense of unity and perseverance that has motivated your team to overcome adversity against the odds. For several of these boys, you ARE the family. “Keeping the kids humble is a priority….one of the things we talk about is being your brother’s keeper”, you have said. You are the mentor to them that Leroy Keyes was to you and your crew at Penrose Park. Current player, “I don’t know where I would be without him, he gave me a purpose.” Kudos to your yeoman effort, you have fostered an atmosphere conducive to camaraderie and winning on and off the field. “Winning” is defined differently by you. Despite losing on the scoreboard with your first trip to Hershey, your kids were winners. Endowed with the dignity of an inaugural hotel visit, you asked for no sympathy. The team dinner was the first time many of your players ever “dined out.” You have attracted prospective student athletes, like the Pied Piper. Heed the prior warnings (see Chad’s Verdict and Steve’s Verdict) and beware the pack of rats, who will attempt to infiltrate and infest your village. “Still not done” is an outstanding motto, keep playing that tune. Albie, the tragic flaw is always hubris, avoid the missteps of your contemporaries and remain triumphant in the end. “The football gods applaud but warn you. We have seen all good people turn their heads each day….The scales of Divine Justice always balance—if not here, then hereafter.
We, the football gods, endorse your guidance and program. Uphold your credo and continue imparting lessons of life to the young men you serve. Actions speak leader than words, and yours speak volumes. You are a trailblazer. Plenty of other charter schools and “Philly’s most prestigious public school” are in the neighborhood. Why haven't they gotten it done? Nice job, COACH.
We, the football gods, beg the question…..TEP…..David or Goliath?

Albie, you are the Shepherd. Exodus 13:21: “He went before them by day in a pillar of cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire.” Like Moses, you are leading your flock to the Promised Land. The naysayers and critics will say Imhotep Charter is a football factory, that academics are not important. SEVENTY FIVE colleges and universities have visited the campus this school year, including extended offers from Stanford, Army, Duke, Vanderbilt and see others below. They will accuse you of “being a charter school with unfair advantages”. They would be correct. Please, Albie, allow us to elaborate these injustices and “Wonderous Stories”. What other head man is dropping off kids to homeless shelters and have players whose parents were once on crack? A quote from a current parent: “My main goal was not to lose my son to the streets. Where we are from, a lot of people don’t make it past 18”. You share your “practice field” with a Pop Warner team. It has no goalposts, no wonder you always go for 2. How do you sleep at night (in your car to get to school early) with all these “perks”? That cavernous weight room is a huge draw too. Keeping the extra lunch in your office because you KNOW one or more of your boys won’t have one (you learned that one from Gabe with the Power Bars).The irony is striking. No gray here. White is worried about not being able to afford The Inter-Ac, SJP and LSCHS, and Black is being lambasted for taking advantage of the opportunity. Let them continue throwing stones from their glass houses. “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” Teddy Roosevelt
Mark 9:35 “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant to all.” It is well known that the so-called gurus will say it is about the X’s and the O’s. The fans and observers will say it is about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. The football gods proclaim it lies in the intersection. To take it to the next level, you added X (Gordon) and O (Schmidt). X knows this motto well: “Come to Learn and Leave to Serve”. Exodus 2:22 “I have been a stranger in a strange land.” X learned, assimilated to the new environment and helped serve the first ever Public League hubcap with Y to culminate “The Miracle on 21st Street”.
The journey is complete but many missions are not yet fulfilled. Exodus 3:17 “On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of the land of Egypt (Lonnie Young Rec Center) into a land that I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands (college). This has been going on for decades all over the state in towns such as Elysburg, Mt Carmel, Berwick, Ridley, Coatesville, Uniontown, Aliquippa, Bethlehem, York etc. The gods ask, “Why not East Germantown”? The coal cracker, steel mill and farmer’s sons got their “rides” out and many were the first to hang their diplomas on the backs of this great game.
From Mama Chris: “At a time when our country is talking about young men being shot, being on drugs, being on the streets, look at these scholar athletes. These young men have been working hard all year long, I just really want you to understand the power of what you’re seeing.” Albie, we attest that you have come to serve and have others leave to learn.
MISSIONS ACCOMPLISHED:
TWENTY TWO
sheep led to a greener pasture to feed and grow into rams under your watch.
2 at La Pierce (LA) JUCO: soph DB and Frosh RB
2 at local D-III Delaware Valley: Soph WR and Frosh OL
9 at D-II PSAC schools: 3 Frosh @ IUP (what a pull for the Crimson Hawks) a WR, QB, and DL. 3 at West Chester: Frosh LB, Soph RB and JR DE. 3 more Frosh scattered: DB at Kutztown, CB at Millersville and LB at Lock Haven.
2 at FCS colleges: Frosh DL @ Rhode Island and Soph DB @ Maine.
7 at FBS schools: 3 Freshmen: WR at Maryland, and two OL at Temple, 3 Sophomores: WR at UMASS, DB at Arizona State, RB at South Carolina, Senior TE at Temple
MISSIONS TO BE COMPLETED: (from the only Philly school ever to win 15 games in a season):
JUNIOR TE committed to Florida State (offers from USC, Michigan, Alabama, Miami, Oregon, Auburn and others—over 20 offers in total)
SENIOR OL offers from several schools including Auburn, Oklahoma, UCLA, Purdue, VA Tech and Wisconsin
SENIOR RB committed to Arizona (offers from Maryland, Syracuse, UCONN and others)
SENIOR OLB committed to Penn State (offers from Duke, UNC, Vanderbilt—our guess is he got through the clearinghouse)
OL offers 6 FBS schools including Arizona State and Illinois
OL 7 total offers including Villanova, Delaware and Temple
WR offer from Youngstown State
OLB offers from Army and Duke (Stanford visited—-admissions must have been snowballed….everyone gets into these places….)
RB offer from Monmouth
SR ATH interest from Missouri, West VA
JUNIOR has Princeton and Yale poking around, any questions from the peanut gallery?
SOPH Safety already offers from UNC, Temple and Wisconsin
SOPH OL (listed 6’7” 342lbs) offer from Texas Tech, we think there could be more, just a hunch.
This does NOT include JUCO, Divison II or III commits.
Albie, since being courted from West Catholic, the record stands at 55-6, 4 Public League chips, 3 District 12 trophies and two appearances in the state finals, including a first ever hubcap for a Philly Public League squad this past season. Both the PA AAA COY and Top 10 USA Today national ranking are also impressive. More importantly, however, the football gods affirm your character development and exemplary leadership of impressionable (almost oblivious and naïve) young men. You have instilled a sense of unity and perseverance that has motivated your team to overcome adversity against the odds. For several of these boys, you ARE the family. “Keeping the kids humble is a priority….one of the things we talk about is being your brother’s keeper”, you have said. You are the mentor to them that Leroy Keyes was to you and your crew at Penrose Park. Current player, “I don’t know where I would be without him, he gave me a purpose.” Kudos to your yeoman effort, you have fostered an atmosphere conducive to camaraderie and winning on and off the field. “Winning” is defined differently by you. Despite losing on the scoreboard with your first trip to Hershey, your kids were winners. Endowed with the dignity of an inaugural hotel visit, you asked for no sympathy. The team dinner was the first time many of your players ever “dined out.” You have attracted prospective student athletes, like the Pied Piper. Heed the prior warnings (see Chad’s Verdict and Steve’s Verdict) and beware the pack of rats, who will attempt to infiltrate and infest your village. “Still not done” is an outstanding motto, keep playing that tune. Albie, the tragic flaw is always hubris, avoid the missteps of your contemporaries and remain triumphant in the end. “The football gods applaud but warn you. We have seen all good people turn their heads each day….The scales of Divine Justice always balance—if not here, then hereafter.
We, the football gods, endorse your guidance and program. Uphold your credo and continue imparting lessons of life to the young men you serve. Actions speak leader than words, and yours speak volumes. You are a trailblazer. Plenty of other charter schools and “Philly’s most prestigious public school” are in the neighborhood. Why haven't they gotten it done? Nice job, COACH.
We, the football gods, beg the question…..TEP…..David or Goliath?
Now this piece my man is just outstanding !!!!!!!!! Great work.

It is truly refreshing to read a post like this on this site especially with all the work that Ed does on this site and the trials and tribulations Coach Crosby has gone thru.

Being a part of SEPA football (either attending or covering) for the last 40 years and sometimes getting an up and close connection with any coach I have always had one negative or one positive impression of HS coaches. The negative being that some feel as though they have a sense of entitlement either it be with players, other coaches, parents, reporters, etc, The positive being that it is amazing how many of these coaches literally volunteer all their free time to assist in everything that is needed for their team to be as prepared as they can be physically, mentally, emotionally, academically and sometimes spiritually. Most of these coaches make literally nickels on the dollar doing this when all is said and done. Combine all this with the fact that you are dealing with a completely different culture than your customary one in an upscale area and that is where you place this coach. That is why I myself, felt a sense of entitlement to the Imhotep program two Fridays ago and three weeks prior vs Wood. I couldn't have wanted a team to win as badly as them although I had no connection at all.

Crosby knew in his heart that the team that lost the state title game vs South Fayette two years ago was not the same team he knew he had as the one who defeated LaSalle in week 2. However one real quality I discovered in him that day was the fact that he consoled those kids afterward as though he were their father and also stayed longer than any coach I ever remember answering whatever questions reporters had for him (most not good) after that game. I've seen many coaches in that situation leave without saying a word to anyone.

Finally, I've heard the talk as many of us have heard that this team got a real boost with Schmidt and Brett Gordon coming on board. They absolutely were a major part of this team's success. Schmidt and Gordon were perfect for their roles here. To Crosby's credit he was able to recognize he needed this help and delegating his authority and getting those two coaches absolutely contributed to his success here as the HC.

Having a vote for Pa state coach of the year (with 2 syndicates) my choice was an easy one.

Reactions: lilromeo
instead of just offering your opinion on tep and albie you make it racial with this quote. "White is worried about not being able to afford The Inter-Ac, SJP and LSCHS, and Black is being lambastedfor taking advantage of the opportunity. " This completely turned me off to your stats, your opinion and your religious connection. There are plenty of white people who cannot afford those schools, or cannot pass the entrance exam but that's another story. I've said it several times- I'm all about kids having a better life/opportunity and if tep provides that than great but don't sit there and cry poor tep, or poor coach or inner city problems. Facilities may not be the best but they sure don't deal with the problems public schools in the city face. And yes, it's great they have athletes moving onto college but I hope in 4-5-6 years I hear success stories. And to answer your question- when you have 6' 7" lineman and multiple division 1 offers on both sides of the ball you are, without a doubt, Goliath. Don't cry underdog. It's amazing there's a lottery to get into tep but somehow they end up with so many large outstanding football and basketball players. May need to check the lottery balls.

In the words of my favorite actor, Bill Murray, "lighten up Francis". You missed point. But the fact remains the kids from Tep have different worries from the kids from say Marple Newtown. Guess what in the area, the circle, that Tep exists you have LS/SJP/IA's close by. For those who know Tep only through the newspaper......it's a line that can be used. Not sure it was meant to divide. Let's Take it to your area......would you take Albie at upper Darby? Would you bet on him in that situation? I would. And not too long after we would hear about the families moving in from other districts becausethat talent couldn't just be there untapped could it? I say good post. But make no mistake, the stakes are raised. David will become Goliath and it will be fun to see who challenges the throne.

saying lighten up is your response to my post? Enlighten me further of the situation. Funny you bring up upper Darby because I happen to know the program well. Are you saying the cosches at upper Darby don't make a difference in their kids lives? And no I wouldn't bet on albie in that situation- can he not coach division 1 talent and win? Don't think so. Needed to bring in two stellar cosches to get over the hump this year. I could probably work up some long-winded response like the original post on this topic but I won't. Coach Murphy doesn't positively affect his kids at haverford school? or bj hogan at Ohara? Different kid, different backgrounds than the tep kid but All are being positively influenced by their coach. I'm just tired of people making this guy out to be far and away better than all other coaches when he does what so many cosches all over the country do. He has super talented kids who he steers in the right direction and is a father figure to some. Kudos to him. Again, give me success stories after high school.

You mean to tell me there is not division 1 talent in upper Darby? Oh poor you, one of the biggest schools in pa and you have no talent. and of course the majority of coaches are 100% positive. Let's talk about both UD. Rather than complain why don't you compare. You need to tell me why we don't see a post about UD in the same vein. The successes of an area facing change both economically and socially. the point is Albie has taken an area that traditionally in football has largely been ignored. Not tough enough smart enough and not committed enough to win a state title. Let's talk about success stories from him also. His previous stop was WC with coach Fluck. How many service academy players was he around? Many many. They graduated and are serving the country proudly. Oh and by the way I do enjoy watching Jalen Strong on Sunday's and David Williams down in SC on Saturdays. I say Teps success is good for all. Now embrace it and get to work. Or don't and just complain.

Going in circles here Plc- 1) I like success and congratulate Tep on their success. It's a great story but let's not crown albie as this savior as the original post did. 2) I never said UD had no talent but they sure don't have several 6'7" linemen. Their All state RB Bruce is getting PSAC looks and some 1aa looks but it sure isn't Arizona like Teps RB. Unlike Imhotep, UD has what it has. Teams poach the districts talent every year. Their one WR Barry left last year to go to WC. West catholic, Imhotep, the preps, the interacs, etc take a lot of the talent that is in the school district. You'll say well why don't they build a winning program and those kids will stay. Maybe that's the case but most parents would rather send their kid to a private school for very little money than a school with 3700 kids from all sorts of backgrounds. Don't think it's fair to compare the two schools. 3) Wasn't Jalen strong a west catholic kid? I know albie was there so my point remains can he win without d1/nfl talent? Stop crying that he has it so hard- he doesn't. Put him at penn wood- does he change that? Lincoln, who was with albie, is trying like hell and is positively influencing those kids but they still aren't winning games. Happy new year.

It's the same everywhere. Nothing special going on in your area. You don't think now people will try to take Teps kids? Point is in a tough area Albie was the first (I say along with Fluck) to make a splash. Happy new year and good luck to all the players this upcoming year.

The one advantage Tep has is the ability to bring in talent from virtually anywhere he wants. I'm sure he does yeoman work with kids coming from very troubled backgrounds. So do coaches at UD, Chester , etc. I'm sure those coaches make differences in their kids lives as well. Except they can only coach those kids who show up for practice in August. They do not have the ability to go out and accumulate talent like perhaps no other school in Pennsylvania because unlike other private or schools that can recruit, he does not have to worry about entrance exams, academics or the affordability of the school. I think if you asked any high school coach would they rather have 7 D1 prospects dropped on their doorstep in exchange for giving up the weight room, they take the D1 prospects every time.

In the words of my favorite actor, Bill Murray, "lighten up Francis". You missed point. But the fact remains the kids from Tep have different worries from the kids from say Marple Newtown. Guess what in the area, the circle, that Tep exists you have LS/SJP/IA's close by. For those who know Tep only through the newspaper......it's a line that can be used. Not sure it was meant to divide. Let's Take it to your area......would you take Albie at upper Darby? Would you bet on him in that situation? I would. And not too long after we would hear about the families moving in from other districts becausethat talent couldn't just be there untapped could it? I say good post. But make no mistake, the stakes are raised. David will become Goliath and it will be fun to see who challenges the throne.

Great quote/movie reference but Bill Murray didn't say it. Warren Oates (Sergeant Hulka character) said it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT