ADVERTISEMENT

Tackling-free Practices

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I know even amongst big time college programs, they've scaled way back on how much they hit during the week.

Focusing on the program I follow most closely, Easton hits a lot in practice. The positive is they always tackle well (in terms of fundamentals) and it certainly encourages their trademark toughness. I also wonder if a lot of the late season swoons and playoff loses can partly be attributed to worn down players after so much contact throughout the year. Not to mention the injury risks that are obviously the source of the Ivy League's concern.

pussification of america
Do you think the increasing evidence about concussions and their consequences should be disregarded?

This strikes me as very different from overprotective parents not wanting their kids to walk to school by themselves. The risks of concussions are quantifiable and we know more and more about what can reduce those risks. Why not reduce the risks?

pussification of america
I disagree. Its a long road from August to November. I think once the season begins it makes sense to scale back the hitting. Too often you lose players from hitting in practice and the long term affects can no longer be denied.

There are proper tackling techniques that reduce concussions increasingly. More young girls playing girls bball and soccer sustain head injuries than football players.
Teach your kids how to tackle people, that's what they're going to tackle on Friday night. Not a bag, not a sack of potatoes, a person that moves and contorts, and runs. People have moving parts, bags don't.

Do you think the increasing evidence about concussions and their consequences should be disregarded?

This strikes me as very different from overprotective parents not wanting their kids to walk to school by themselves. The risks of concussions are quantifiable and we know more and more about what can reduce those risks. Why not reduce the risks?
Yes I do, I think it's a billion dollar industry and it's being blown out of proportion. The docs are getting rich off of this stuff.

Ra...I don't agree with you at all. Just talk to a guy in his 40s/50s who played ball in college. When one of their ex-teammates dies the first thing they wonder about was it the football. I don't think it is out of proportion. I think it is legit. Things evolve.
The drills we used to do...cmon man. Look back at them, you wouldn't have your kids do them in a million years.

Yes I do, I think it's a billion dollar industry and it's being blown out of proportion. The docs are getting rich off of this stuff.
With all due respect yo need to do more research. Its not about that single big hit or head position while using good tech. You dont need to hit everyday to improve as a team. Again, like I said earlier it just wears a team out as the season moves along.

Ra...I don't agree with you at all. Just talk to a guy in his 40s/50s who played ball in college. When one of their ex-teammates dies the first thing they wonder about was it the football. I don't think it is out of proportion. I think it is legit. Things evolve.
The drills we used to do...cmon man. Look back at them, you wouldn't have your kids do them in a million years.
We don't need to do those same drills, with the spread offense and the air raid system trickling down; we have no need for the Oklahoma drill on day 1 of camp anymore.
I still believe you have to fundamentally teach tackling at every practice. Monday-Wed. Tackling circuit has never been man on man for every drill. However, thudding up properly during live team, 7 on 7, and inside run is, I think essential to good tackling. I'm not telling kids to go slam one another to the ground every chance they get.
Wrap up and chop your feet during live action.
During fundy's time they need to have some live tackling on people and some on bags.

Reactions: coach1378

The "Bell Ringer"!! Used to have linemen line up in their stance and fire out, under an iron monkey bar. If you came out too high, you nailed the monkey bar!! Instantly concussed!! Real smart!!!

Freshman year, get called up to do a practice with the older guys. First drill I see is OLB about 10 yards back of scrimmage coming up to meet fullback at full speed from his spot with tailback behind him. CRACK! I almost grabbed a pole vault right there.

Ra it doesn't sound like you are dicing your guys up at practice anyway. You could probably make it work in that environment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT