ADVERTISEMENT

3A STATE Preseason Top 10

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
3A State Preseason Top 10
Here are ten teams that standout and should make a lot of noise this season. Some of the established powers like Wyomissing (13-1) had tremendous grad losses, wiping out nearly the entire team. Same with Danville (12-1) plus their coach. Martinsburg Central’s powerful 12-3 team was ravaged, losing a record setting quarterback responsible for 4759 total yards and a receiver who tallied 1675 yards! Both Danville and the Scarlet Dragons fielded their best teams ever. With so many veteran teams in the classification, it looks like a wide open race for the triple-A crown.

1 Belle Vernon D7 12-2
Who would have picked the Leopards to win the State Title last year opening at 1-2? But they were competitive losses to quality teams, losing to McKeesport (11-2) 14-6 and Penn Trafford (6-5) 14-13. From there, they ran out, winning their next 11 games with impressive playoff wins against Avonworth (11-2) 24-7, Martinsburg Central (12-3) 24-17 (the team I thought might take it) and Neumann Goretti (11-2) 9-8 on a goal line stand with time running out. With almost all that team returning, they could repeat if they navigate another front loaded schedule including three road games; Franklin Regional, Laurel, Penn Trafford. The home games are challenging against McKeesport and Thomas Jefferson. Some of the returning starters are Qb Braden Laux (6-5, 215, 52%-1025py, 11/6 ratio, 482ry), Rbs Quinten Martin (1279ry, 28-424py #1 receiver, 4 picks) and Jake Gedekoh (773ry), plus big numbers from the defense.
2 Neumann Goretti D12 11-3
The Saints like BVA above appear loaded with returning skill despite the graduation of running back Shawn Battle. He ended the year at 916 rush yards while missing the State Final and sitting out the Thanksgiving Day game against Southern (So. Philly). Most of their leading tacklers also return. They played a wicked slate last year against Bonner (11-3), Conwell Egan (6-5) x 2, Scranton Prep (9-4), Northwestern Lehigh (11-3) and Wyomissing (13-1) before losing 9-8 in the final on a failed 3rd and goal/fumble vs Belle Vernon. The schedule this year show them opening at Cincinnati Elder (10-3), then at Penn Charter (5-5) before the home opener against Lansdale Catholic (7-3). Elder is from the renown Greater Catholic League of Cincinnati (Moeller, St. X, LaSalle), and they’re rebuilding, losing eight starters representing 492 tackles from the D and their leading producers at QB (68%-1794py, 665ry), #1 Rb (836yr, 226py) and Wr (803py), making it a good year to play them.
3 Notre Dame D11 9-3
All that kept Notre Dame from a 12-0 slate and a deeper run were tight losses to Southern Lehigh (9-3) 29-28, Northern Lehigh (12-3) 40-33 and Northwestern Lehigh (11-3) 35-34 in the district semifinal. And that was with a young group. For 2023, with one of the most exciting dual threat quarterbacks in the state in Danny Darno (6-2, 190, sr) and most of last year’s starters back, look for them to reverse those losses and then who knows. Last year saw Darno throw for 2669 yards at 67% with a 33/7 Td to Pick ratio while rushing for 1180 yards. All other skill returns along with half the D led by the #1 tackler DE Dainn Vassllo (6-2, 225) with 165 tackles. They open at Southern Lehigh then consecutive homers against Tamaqua and Salisbury.
4 Loyalsock Township D4 11-2
The Lancers also return an exciting dual threat quarterback in Tyler Gee (62%-2627py, 27/8 ratio, 586ry), his top receiver Jalen Andrews (1161) and most of the defense. Gone are Davion Hill’s 1876 rush yards. At 6-2, 215, Hill was a brute. In much the same way Notre Dame had trouble with schools named ‘Lehigh’, Loyalsock’s nemesis was Danville (12-1) who beat them 17-14 in the regular season and 41-20 in the district final. This year’s schedule looks like last year’s with a season opening home game against Berks Catholic followed by a road game at Hughesville. Then its two homers against Southern Columbia and Danville to set the stage for the rest of the season.
5 North Schuylkill D11 11-3
The Spartans had another successful season hitting double digits in the win column for the fourth time in five years. Although it began with a tough 25-17 loss to Mount Carmel (12-1) in the opener and a mid-season loss at Notre Dame 36-24, they breezed past all others by an average score of 40-11. Then came the district final where a red hot Northwestern Lehigh team routed them 34-14.
2023 looks highly promising with only 12 seniors graduating. They played a lot of people last year including freshman and sophomores and always have a large roster. The headliners are quarterback Trevor Minalda (6-1, 205, sr), wide out stand out Joey Flail and lineman Sander Stokes (6-5, 265, jr), Brandlee Himes (6-1, 265, sr), Neekoli Caraballa (6-1, 255, sr) and Rb/LB Jaxson Chowansky (5-11, 220, sr). The schedule opens at rival Mount Carmel, then the home opener against Blue Mountain before going back on the road to play Pine Grove.
6 Scranton Prep D2 9-4
Prep started last year with a young and inexperienced group that matured noticeably by year’s end. Beginning with early season losses to city rival Scranton High (8-4) 21-9 and AA power Lakeland (11-1) 41-14, they developed into a team that by game #11 was losing competitively on the road at AAAA muscle team Valley View (10-3) 22-16. The season ended with yet another competitive loss, this one in the opening round of States to Neumann Goretti (11-4) 22-14, the same Neumann team that lost in the State Final to Belle Vernon 9-8. Coach Terry Gallagher clearly has the program rolling at 72-14 since his arrival in 2016. Last year’s team started a sophomore quarterback in Louis Paris who rushed for 857 and passed for 1008 yards. Running back Quinten Palermo (5-10, 185, jr) also returns after rushing for 1133 yards plus other backs and leading receivers. Most of the D returns setting the Cavaliers up for something special. They open with back-to-back homers against Lakeland and West Scranton before a road trip to Lake Lehman and the LFC-Division 1 opener against what appears to be a loaded Delaware Valley team.
7 West Perry D3 11-2
The Mustangs had their best season last year with a record setting 11 wins advancing them to the District-3 title game where they were swamped by Wyomissing (13-1) 63-7. They beat some good teams along the way in Juniata (8-4) 24-0 and Lancaster Catholic (10-1) 63-20. But they were exposed against the state’s top quality programs losing too Steelton High (14-1) 53-34 who went on to win the 1A State Title and Wyomissing (13-1) 63-7, the 3A semifinal runner-up. For 2023, they return super dual threat quarterback Marcus Quaker (64%-2049, 22/7, 1066ry) and wide out Ian Goodling (71/1236), a devastating tandem. With half the defense returning they will again contender in the division and districts.
8 Grove City D10 9-4
Last year saw the Eagles negotiate their way reasonably well through a tough schedule that included games against Avonworth, Farrell, Hickory and Sharpsville before being eliminated by and Martinsburg Central in the PIAA quarterfinal. The good news for 2023 is almost everyone returns including the Qb Hunter Hollman (61%-2086, 18/14, 177-578ry!), their three leading receivers with 123 receptions for 1849 yards and seven from the defense that needs to improve from 23ppg yield. So does the QB throwing 14 picks. Straighten those issues out and who knows how good they can be in 2023.
9 Northwestern Lehigh D11 11-3
The Tigers recovered from an early season loss to rival Northern Lehigh (12-2) 34-27 to go on a tear, beating quality teams from Southern Lehigh (9-3), Notre Dame (9-3) and North Schuylkill (11-3) before losing at South Philly’s Super Site in the State quarterfinal to Neumann Goretti (11-4) 38-6. For 2023, they graduate quarterback Cade Christopher (49%-799, 11/2, 245-1886ry!) but return running back Dalton Clymer (238-1447) and their top three receivers with six from the defense. Looking at their system and five year won-loss of 48-12, they should be able to replace the quarterback. This year’s schedule will test them with three road games in their first four opening at Tamaqua, home to Northern Lehigh then consecutive road games at Blue Mountain and Penn Argyl.
10 Berks Catholic D3 5-6
Berks Catholic had their first losing season ever since opening in 2011, generating a 108-29 record. The schedule was demanding as always with losses to Loyalsock Township (11-2, D4-3A runner up), Executive Education Academy (8-4, D11-2A champ), Pope John Paul II (10-2, D1-4A runner up) and Wyomissing (13-1, D3-3A champ). For 2023, they graduate some key pieces in Josiah Jordan (1225ry, 219py) and OL/DL Jacob Collazo (6-3, 295). But much of last year’s team is back with the quarterback, the #2 and #3 rushers and their #2 wide out. Eight return to the defense that has been porous the last four years allowing (2019 onward) 20, 32, 25 and 23ppg. Their first four games will tell us about them opening at highly regarded Loyalsock Township, home to Executive Education Academy, then Pope John Paul II before heading to Wyomissing to see what the Trojans have this year.

Others
Hickory D10 5-6
Wyomissing D3 13-1
Mifflinburg D4 9-3
Danville D4 12-1
Palmerton D11 7-5
Western Wayne D2 9-3
Tyrone D6 7-3
Clearfield D9 8-4
Conwell Egan D12 6-5
Lansdale Catholic D12 7-3

re: Belle Vernon

Anyone have any scoop on them? I heard a weird rumor that Martin might not play this year? I would be surprised, but obviously that changes things lot?!?

re: Belle Vernon

Anyone have any scoop on them? I heard a weird rumor that Martin might not play this year? I would be surprised, but obviously that changes things lot?!?
I'm not sure where that rumor got started.

He will be playing for BVA this fall.

I'm not sure where that rumor got started.

He will be playing for BVA this fall.
steel- I agree it makes no sense- I think he would be set back in progress, but these were Belle Vernon parents saying this- reason may be connected to some NIL arrangement- if this happens, likely bad for kid, bad for HS fb

steel- I agree it makes no sense- I think he would be set back in progress, but these were Belle Vernon parents saying this- reason may be connected to some NIL arrangement- if this happens, likely bad for kid, bad for HS fb
He's a really good player, his versatility is reminiscent of Dorin Dickerson. However, I think he's overrated compared to his ranking. Some people think being overrated means you hate on an athlete or they suck. But, he's not good enough to make a decision like this.

I've only seen a few kids who could possibly sit out their senior year and they were ready for p5 football as a junior. Pryor, Arrington, Brian Davis, etc.

He's a really good player, his versatility is reminiscent of Dorin Dickerson. However, I think he's overrated compared to his ranking. Some people think being overrated means you hate on an athlete or they suck. But, he's not good enough to make a decision like this.

I've only seen a few kids who could possibly sit out their senior year and they were ready for p5 football as a junior. Pryor, Arrington, Brian Davis, etc.
steel- agree with you, Martin is very good, but not really good enough for this to make sense, or be a good idea for him- my concern is this is coming from "bad NIL reasons." I'm sure it happens more often, but in the last 5-10 years, I am only aware of one "big prospect" in PA doing a "12th grade opt out" and that was Elliot Donald 3 years ago from PCC to Pitt, and I don't think that has worked out well for him. Donald had lots of big hype, and he is going into year-three and he is not really a "known player." Has played some, but not sure he is even "pegged" to be a #1 this year- maybe not even #2!!

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT