ADVERTISEMENT

Suburban 1 League

To my point earlier not alot of talent athletes playing, but kids coached well and put in the right spot.

Ha! Not a lot of talent my ass. Also a lot of depth. Check the all conference teams year by year, NP all over it, more than every other team time in time out. Ony has one state championship with a loaded team and Carey as the d-coordinator and mentor to a young Dickie.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
I’ll have a full post on this, but it piqued my interest. Going through the 247 recruiting database, it looks like North Penn has only had two players rated since they won in 2003 - just McManus and Ricky Johns. I didn’t fully appreciate how little top end talent they’ve had.

NP is lucky because they do have numbers, but they also have a sell-out culture. Let's not get it twisted. And there is no evidence students from NP are academically inferior. Let's go through the years, academic performance is not to be taken for granted and there is no evidence NP players underachieve more than any other kids. Let's drop that now.

NPenn still the big dog in S1, but no longer in D1 and more so Pennridge, Neshaminy and Pennsbury have lost their bite. North Penn teams were clones of the great West teams; the last few years they’ve gone after QB’s and been a pass first squad. Good, but not a D1 serious dog like Coatesville. Pennridge lost it many years ago and now Neshaminy and Pennsbury are no longer serious D1 threats like they used to be. I’m hopeful one of these or as a group can take back D1.

Downingtowns no different. When’s the last D1 title? I think 96...that’s a long time ago.

Beck does a great job with what he has, no doubt he doesn’t get the talent or the big bodies up front like he did in the past. I watch them 2-3 times a year, I’d say they lost their edge a bit.

NP is lucky because they do have numbers, but they also have a sell-out culture. Let's not get it twisted. And there is no evidence students from NP are academically inferior. Let's go through the years, academic performance is not to be taken for granted and there is no evidence NP players underachieve more than any other kids. Let's drop that now.

Agreed, they have numbers and they are dropping. Academically all kids have ups and downs, but they have their fair share going college, they just aren't playing football.

I’ll have a full post on this, but it piqued my interest. Going through the 247 recruiting database, it looks like North Penn has only had two players rated since they won in 2003 - just McManus and Ricky Johns. I didn’t fully appreciate how little top end talent they’ve had.

No Kevin Akins? Edit: oops. 2003+ myyyy mistake

NPenn still the big dog in S1, but no longer in D1 and more so Pennridge, Neshaminy and Pennsbury have lost their bite. North Penn teams were clones of the great West teams; the last few years they’ve gone after QB’s and been a pass first squad. Good, but not a D1 serious dog like Coatesville. Pennridge lost it many years ago and now Neshaminy and Pennsbury are no longer serious D1 threats like they used to be. I’m hopeful one of these or as a group can take back D1.

Downingtowns no different. When’s the last D1 title? I think 96...that’s a long time ago.

Beck does a great job with what he has, no doubt he doesn’t get the talent or the big bodies up front like he did in the past. I watch them 2-3 times a year, I’d say they lost their edge a bit.

2018 pennridge team was awesome and probably plays for a district finals if tarburton plays vs Garnet Valley.

2018 pennridge team was awesome and probably plays for a district finals if tarburton plays vs Garnet Valley.
I wouldn’t say awesome. They were ok to good. I saw them play many times. I thought they were a bit wild and I saw them play GValley and didn’t think it made a difference. With all due respect I think the player you mention was a great D1 recruit more than a super high school player. Good, don’t get me wrong. It would of been ugly against Coatesville as the Pennridge O didn’t have the athletes or style of play to hang like GValley did.

Lots of coulda, woulda’s out there they didn’t get past the semi’s.

I wouldn’t say awesome. They were ok to good. I saw them play many times. I thought they were a bit wild and I saw them play GValley and didn’t think it made a difference. With all due respect I think the player you mention was a great D1 recruit more than a super high school player. Good, don’t get me wrong. It would of been ugly against Coatesville as the Pennridge O didn’t have the athletes or style of play to hang like GValley did.

Lots of coulda, woulda’s out there they didn’t get past the semi’s.

i couldnt disagree with you more. pennridge led the state in INTs from 1A to 6A with 25 INTs and were 8th in the state with sacks. A freshman (shane hartzel) replaced tarburton for that game and gave a valor effort. considering the ground and pound offense garnet valley runs tarburton would have stuffed everything. pennridge was leading at half tome 14-13 and lost 28-20.....the defense only let up 14 points as a punt return td and fumble scoop and score... pennridges offense also broke school records for passing yards that season and total yards. tarburton opened up so much more for that defense to make plays. respectfully i 100% disagree with you. tarburton was a 3x all state backer... 25 ints 20 coming from the secondary a lot caused by him rushing the qb and blowing things up.

There is not one program in District 1 who has had tougher luck than Pennridge going back to 2000. In that season they had CBW on the ropes in the second half in a 21-21 tie with the ball driving, only to lose 35-21. Based on that game and season, Pridge was a top 5 team in the state.

2001 was a bizarre season. The SOL had their most competitive year ever. Neshaminy went 10-0 but had to squeak by four 7-3 teams in the waiting seconds. Pennridge with Maryland QB recruit Sam Hollanbach might have been the best of those 7-3 teams. The problem was the playoff system was flawed. Only CB-East qualified on points, and the ridiculous subregion with D1/2/4 kept other SOL teams out.

In 2003 Pennridge had maybe their best squad with Ryan Greiser, but again they were in the same conference with one of the greatest D1 teams ever, North Penn. Like CBW in 2000, no one played NP tougher than Pennridge.

I still get infuriated with the 2004 season. Rams lost a heartbreaker in the District semis to NP 24-21. The problem was NP suspended many starters for the D1 title the following week at Neshaminy. Pridge should have been playing in that game, but the NP administration screwed everyone, knowing those those players would be gone a week later. That D1 championship game was a farce watching Neshaminy score a million points against a JV defense.

In 2012 Pennridge went 13-1 heading into the the D1 semi against Spring-Ford. The problem is they suffered from the Easton T-Day syndrome and tried to play 2 games in 3 days and it didn't work. That overshadowed a tremendous 28-27 comeback win over Pennsbury in the district quarters. I was there, it was great!

And we know about Tarburton getting suspended in 2017 and g=how that might have cost the Rams a D1 title birth.

Hollenbach built a great program. He left it to Cuthbert from 2005-2012 and the only success for Cuthbert was 2012.

Last edited:
Great points about Ridge Relayer. 2003 was their best team, but unfortunately North Penn’s as well. I saw that game too- NPenn was truly an awesome team that year. One minor correction, I think Ridge 2012 they were good too but I recall they held Pennsbury who were behind 2-3 TD’s and then stormed back with 2-3 straight TD’s to miss an extra point. I thought Ridge was gonna smoke Falcons until about the 3rd Qtr and agreed it was a great one. The next week I couldn’t believe what I was watching...I guess you’re right that T-ball killed em. I’m hoping the Ram magic gets going again this year.

Relayer- maybe they just keep getting beat by better teams, and its not luck at all? Would you say Pennridge is the most prominent program in D1 never to win a title?

Reactions: jswigand
So reading the 247 prep site, no
Relayer- maybe they just keep getting beat by better teams, and its not luck at all? Would you say Pennridge is the most prominent program in D1 never to win a title?
I would say either Pennridge and/or Perk Valley

Great points about Ridge Relayer. 2003 was their best team, but unfortunately North Penn’s as well. I saw that game too- NPenn was truly an awesome team that year. One minor correction, I think Ridge 2012 they were good too but I recall they held Pennsbury who were behind 2-3 TD’s and then stormed back with 2-3 straight TD’s to miss an extra point. I thought Ridge was gonna smoke Falcons until about the 3rd Qtr and agreed it was a great one. The next week I couldn’t believe what I was watching...I guess you’re right that T-ball killed em. I’m hoping the Ram magic gets going again this year.

You're right about that, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Speed your point is taken. Yes, they ran into some great teams and could never get over the top.

2001 could have been interesting if they used the current 16 team playoff.

Up front I’ve been concentrating on Mid State so knowing that………….but it sure looks good for Pennridge if they find a quarterback. They should be powerful, knowing the D returns a pile of talent; DE Ferguson 6-2 240, LB Hartzell 6-0 220, DT Phil Long 6-2 275-280, most if not all their secondary led by SS Chaikin, key Rbs and Wrs. Looks potent! I know Kantor is replaceable with no disrespect meant…..47% with 14 or 15 picks can be replaced. Leadership? But they did have some head scratching losses last year?
Their schedule is key especially breaking in a new Qb with 4 of 5 on the road putting the load where it usually is early….on the D, a team strength.

Schedule review:
Game #1;
challenging opening at a team I think will be powerful in Delaware Valley with vets and experienced people everywhere, solid Coach; Qb, Rb, receivers, most of the D. Scillia had his way with Rams last year, 50%, near 200 yards.
Game #2; Neshaminy will be difficult….if....McAndrews is on. But they are rebuilding their defense and coming off the North Penn game after an all-out with some black and blue.
Game #3; Perk Val also looking for a quarterback (hot on the frosh!!) but the Rams catch a break again getting them off the Downingtown East game. Should know by now how the new Qb is fairing.
Game #4; North Penn will be coming off Neshaminy, LaSalle and Pennsbury games with Rams off what could be a solid win vs PV. NP doing another near complete rebuild says Rams should be in this, at worst a Pick em, maybe a slight road favorite. Kidding! They need a win here for a strong year.
Game #5: Souderton was a freaky team last year who beat Rams, catching them this year in their 4th road game of their last 5 games. Veteran team that could be spooky, nothing to overlook if they come in off a North Penn win.

Any word on what the team from Fairless Hills has coming back? I know they always have strong numbers but any idea about how many starters. Assuming they will be favorites along with Neshaminy.

Pennsbury returning starters/key contributors...

QB - SR Drew Hensor (114-230, 1410 yds, 9 td; 423 rush yds, 6 td)
RB - SR Brad Mickles (519 yds, 3 td), SR JayVon McNeill (342 yds, 6 td) (Note: 2018 leading rusher Eddie Dualu has moved out of the district)
WR - SR Josh Boyda (20 rec, 358 yds, 2 td; 4 rush td)
OL - SR John Irvine (10 starts), SR Mike Wallick (10 starts), SR Elijah Slaughter (2 starts), SR Andrew Hamacher (2018 TE)
K - SO Brady Burgfechtel (33-35 XP, 1-1 FG)

DT - SR Trevor Williams (53 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 2.0 sacks)
DE - SR Zach Zauzig (28 tackles, also played LB)
LB - SR Sam Burke (107 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks), JR Jake Schilling (55 tackles), SR Jake Krevetz (48 tackles)
CB - SR Matt Carey (33 tackles, 5 PBU, 2 INT)
S - None
P - JR Tommy Kubicka (37 punts, 29.2 ave)

Reactions: Soup13 and Stalker
Pennsbury returning starters/key contributors...

QB - SR Drew Hensor (114-230, 1410 yds, 9 td; 423 rush yds, 6 td)
RB - SR Brad Mickles (519 yds, 3 td), SR JayVon McNeill (342 yds, 6 td) (Note: 2018 leading rusher Eddie Dualu has moved out of the district)
WR - SR Josh Boyda (20 rec, 358 yds, 2 td; 4 rush td)
OL - SR John Irvine (10 starts), SR Mike Wallick (10 starts), SR Elijah Slaughter (2 starts), SR Andrew Hamacher (2018 TE)
K - SO Brady Burgfechtel (33-35 XP, 1-1 FG)

DT - SR Trevor Williams (53 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 2.0 sacks)
DE - SR Zach Zauzig (28 tackles, also played LB)
LB - SR Sam Burke (107 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks), JR Jake Schilling (55 tackles), SR Jake Krevetz (48 tackles)
CB - SR Matt Carey (33 tackles, 5 PBU, 2 INT)
S - None
P - JR Tommy Kubicka (37 punts, 29.2 ave)
Good stuff 705 Hood. Looks like a good and competitive season ahead.

Rover - So how many kids on Top end talent have come out of the Suburban 1 other than NP in the same time frame w/ the same criteria?

6 Days -
Not sure if this was in reference to my post but have a lot of experience and insight with NP schools. I have zero problem with the school system. Great college prep actually.My point was that over a 10 year period several kids were recruited to FCS but did not have the SAT/GPA to qualify, ended up going PSAC. Bucknell, Colgate,or 'Nova for example are tough schools to get into. Let's not get it twisted that NP leads the league in all conference performers year in and out. They have numbers but also have talent to go with it.

Sol - NP has a lot of talent; just had Udinski break passing records and playing D1,Johns at WVU, 2 kids at Nova, 2 at DE, RJ McNamara commit to DE, I'm sure a few more I am missing. Leads the all conference team every year and def have size. Last years line....Noah Boast (6-0, 260), Ed Harkins (5-11, 225), Noah Fox (6-0, 225), Jake Walton (6-3, 265) and Don Stiles (6-3, 275).

Rover - So how many kids on Top end talent have come out of the Suburban 1 other than NP in the same time frame w/ the same criteria?

Starred players in 247 since the 1999 seasons

SOL - National
Neshaminy - 10
Pennsbury - 8
CR North - 8
CR South - 4
Abington - 3
Bensalem - 0
Truman - 0

SOL - Continental
North Penn - 7
Pennridge - 4
CB South - 3
CB East - 3
CB West - 3
Souderton - 2
William Tennent - 0

SOL - American
Wissahickon - 3
Plymouth Whitemarsh - 2
Cheltenham - 1
Quakertown - 1
Springfield - 1
Hatboro-Horsham - 0
Upper Dublin - 0
Upper Moreland -0

Four Stars
Tom McEowen, Neshaminy
Nick Tarburton, Pennridge
JJ Denman, Pennsbury
Brandon McIlwain, Council Rock North
Da'Rel Scott, Plymouth-Whitemarsh
Chris McKelvy, North Penn
Josh Adams, CB South
Dustin Picciotti, CB West

Nesh really pumped them out for sure. PB caught be by surprise with 8. Good stuff...

Nesh really pumped them out for sure. PB caught be by surprise with 8. Good stuff...

Ten is a pretty solid number. But if you look statewide. Pittsburgh Central Catholic is the leader with 41 (6 four stars) and Woodland Hills leads public schools with 39 (and a state leading 8 four and five stars).

Most in SEPA is SJP with 23 (6 four stars) then Wood with 20 (4 four stars). Coatesville’s 15 (1 four star) is the most in District 1.

Reactions: Soup13
Pennsbury

Year State rank Name School Stars
2006 58 Jordan Jerrold Pennsbury 2
2007 33 CJ Marck Pennsbury 3
2009 36 Steve Marck Pennsbury 3
2010 26 Eric Williams Pennsbury 3
2012 9 JJ Denman Pennsbury 4
2013 72 Daquan Mack Pennsbury 2
2015 30 Charles Snorweah Pennsbury 3
2018 34 Matt Rosso Pennsbury 3

Ten is a pretty solid number. But if you look statewide. Pittsburgh Central Catholic is the leader with 41 (6 four stars) and Woodland Hills leads public schools with 39 (and a state leading 8 four and five stars).

Most in SEPA is SJP with 23 (6 four stars) then Wood with 20 (4 four stars). Coatesville’s 15 (1 four star) is the most in District 1.
NP would have more then 7 if quite few kids who live in the district stayed vs going to Lasalle, Prep, wood and GA. And 3 who are currently listed.

Pennsbury

Year State rank Name School Stars
2006 58 Jordan Jerrold Pennsbury 2
2007 33 CJ Marck Pennsbury 3
2009 36 Steve Marck Pennsbury 3
2010 26 Eric Williams Pennsbury 3
2012 9 JJ Denman Pennsbury 4
2013 72 Daquan Mack Pennsbury 2
2015 30 Charles Snorweah Pennsbury 3
2018 34 Matt Rosso Pennsbury 3
Rosso does not ring a bell. Where did he end up?

Starred players in 247 since the 1999 seasons

SOL - National
Neshaminy - 10
Pennsbury - 8
CR North - 8
CR South - 4
Abington - 3
Bensalem - 0
Truman - 0

SOL - Continental
North Penn - 7
Pennridge - 4
CB South - 3
CB East - 3
CB West - 3
Souderton - 2
William Tennent - 0

SOL - American
Wissahickon - 3
Plymouth Whitemarsh - 2
Cheltenham - 1
Quakertown - 1
Springfield - 1
Hatboro-Horsham - 0
Upper Dublin - 0
Upper Moreland -0

Four Stars
Tom McEowen, Neshaminy
Nick Tarburton, Pennridge
JJ Denman, Pennsbury
Brandon McIlwain, Council Rock North
Da'Rel Scott, Plymouth-Whitemarsh
Chris McKelvy, North Penn
Josh Adams, CB South
Dustin Picciotti, CB West

Looks like McIlwain's football career is over. He will concentrate on baseball only.

https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/24...cilwain-to-prioritize-baseball-over-football/

Rosso does not ring a bell. Where did he end up?

He’s a redshirt freshman at Rutgers. 6’6 330. Looks like he’s their back-up right guard on their preseason depth chart. Bio says he was 6A all state in 2017, which I think I remember? I feel like Pennsbury always has one huge offensive lineman.

Looks like McIlwain's football career is over. He will concentrate on baseball only.

https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/24...cilwain-to-prioritize-baseball-over-football/

What’s unfortunate is he was a first round pick coming out of high school who was in line for a seven figure bonus. I get wanting to play football if that’s your passion, but his value was never going to be higher. Now he is four years older, and hasn’t really developed because it’s just impossible to get enough reps playing two sports. Too bad, though maybe he has a huge spring - Cal is certainly a great program.

another player who never panned out due to drugs and violence from CB South was RB Eric Reynolds. Kid could run the rock.. Shame w the path he took

Reactions: lilromeo
McIlwain is a baseball guy. He has the tools. He isn't Kyler Murray.
Soup...gotcha. You are right, more than the share of very talented kids who couldn't make the grade and went to PSAC etc. But I just couldn't quantify if more than any other district. Perhaps magnified because they have some damn good talent in that district.

What’s unfortunate is he was a first round pick coming out of high school who was in line for a seven figure bonus. I get wanting to play football if that’s your passion, but his value was never going to be higher. Now he is four years older, and hasn’t really developed because it’s just impossible to get enough reps playing two sports. Too bad, though maybe he has a huge spring - Cal is certainly a great program.

I agree with everything you said. Hard to fault him for trying both sports. He could have gave it up after USC, saw him play a couple times for Cal last season and their team struggled in the games I saw.

Great to see a former SOL Great, former Galloping Ghosts Craig Reynolds on the roster for the Redskins. Besides him and former CB South RB for the Eagles Josh Adams, are there any former SOL Players playing in the NFL?

another player who never panned out due to drugs and violence from CB South was RB Eric Reynolds. Kid could run the rock.. Shame w the path he took
Yes, I though he was really good, quick kid. I think he was in the back field with Johns tall qb who played an at Virginia , south paw.

Is Truman going to be any good this year? From what I can remembe

Before I heard Mike LaPalombara left I would say no. It was one of those years where they had a class full of talent and strong coaching. Now that I know LaPalombara is gone, it will be a steeper dropoff?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT