ADVERTISEMENT

Suburban 1 League

Upper Dublin
Neshimany(pennsbury will threaten)
North Penn (there will be a threat but sure if it will be Pennridge, CBE or even Souderton

Why wow?

Let’s hear some explanations on rankings?

Pennridge- 2nd year coach gets them going
Neshaminy - QB is the difference maker, 3 year starter.
U Dub - They seem to get it done.

North Penn seems to be slipping a bit. Pennsbury & Neshaminy lost? Does Abington or Truman threaten again? Would be nice to see Souderton surge again. What’s about West and East threatening? Looks like South of Bucks only hope there.

Anyone with real details?

I’m just guessing.

Peace

Taking a break from the District 3 quagmire with some quick hits on the SOL including most but not all teams.

SOL-1 American, walk in the park for Cardinals (6-0) last year excepting 1-pt win vs Qtown. Probably not as easy this year especially if HH or Chelty step up with big numbers returning.

Hatboro (5-2) will be a factor with Schmidt, a 5-1 finish last year and a PILE of people back. Have Qtown and UD (1st road) at home. Chasing UD for sure but more than a mere Sleeper!
Quakertown (4-2) lost Bryan and Patrick and probably come back to the pack a slot. Skating along last three unimpressively at 6-6, 7-4, 8-4.
Upper Dublin (6-0) has to be the fav with caution per loss of Wrs and Rbs tho Qb returns and a decent D core. One of winningest teams in the East at 63-13 last 6 years. Doesn’t get enough ink except here!
Cheltenham (4-2) Baring loss to Abington (what?), and 1-pt loss to Hatboro these guys are 10-2 last year and almost all return.

SOL-1 Continental, log jammed behind North Penn with many at 4-2, 3-3 last season and probably the same this year.

Pennridge (3-3) a lot of D returns including LB Shane Hartzell with 175 tackles. That’s a lot of tackles !??! But no trigger man with Kantor grad. Nice backs.
North Penn (6-0) Once again the entire OL needs replaced with the graduation of Noah Boast (6-0, 260), Ed Harkins (5-11, 225), Noah Fox (6-0, 225), Jake Walton (6-3, 265) and Don Stiles (6-3, 275). Coach Beck enters his 18th season at 188-42 (81.7%) and will likely challenge for district honors, again. They always do!
Souderton (3-3) return Qb Vince (6-4, 190), running backs and a few receivers. D losses some key people but return a core. Capable team last year winning at CB East and Pennridge, with narrow losses to NP 29-27 and Hatters 8-7 dooming them to a misleading 4-6 season. We’ll get a clue early, opening with Pottsgrove, Qtown and improved HH.
CB East (4-2) Lost Qb and a pile of good D people but return some nice backs.
CB South (3-3) Qb returns but shaky ground game last year, receivers gone and the D was wiped out.
CB West (2-4) I can’t ever get a angle on West and have stopped trying.

SOL-1 National nice race last year with Truman and Skins at 5-1 atop conference edging Pennsbury and CR South both 4-2. No one looks obvious like Neshaminy did last year.

Neshaminy (5-1) Unheralded D that saved the day at 14ppg yield for an inconsistent O losing tough ones (excepting no-show at DWest) losing in ot to NPenn, 1 to Truman and 7 to NP in rematch. QB and good back return. Wide outs wiped out along with a solid defense meaning they’re have to rely on last year’s shaky O with North Penn, Pennridge and DWest at the top.
Truman (5-1) coming off 7-4 and a historic 10-2 season but now new coach Ben Johnson at the helm makes it a wait and see scenario. Mike LaPalombara and company showed it CAN BE DONE!
Pennsbury (4-2) Say what you will but Coach Snyder won, going 116-48 in 14 years (2002-2016). New staff in 2017 went 1-3 vs Neshaminy (twice), North Penn, Coatesville….then 0-4 last year vs Skins, Knights, G-Val and Truman. That’s got to change for Falcons to rebound from last year’s 5-6 outing.
CR South (4-2) wasted their best defense since 2010’s 11-2 team (also allowed 15ppg) per a slumbering offense (for the third straight year; 13, 19, 18ppg), that scored 18ppg. Eliminate the 54 scored against Bensalem (54-14) and you’re looking at a 14ppg seasonal average off 143 total points scored. Just a little more help from this side might have got them past North Penn, a 27-24 ot loss and Pennsbury, a 22-19 loss, getting them to 8-3. That makes it look like last year was the year with such a solid defense that battled hard but couldn’t do it alone. Gonna miss DEs Nick Gallo (6-4, 235) and TJ Pritz (6-1, 220) but return a good one in Shemal Mills (6-2, 240, sr), while losing LBs Kraut and White and a solid DB in Matt Checchia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soup13
Truman/Neshaminy were co-champs
Is Truman going to be any good this year? From what I can remembe
Why wow?

You have to credit Truman for the success they have had the last 2 years! As a Neshaminy fan, I think folks should at least wait and see what Truman has before they are counted out! I am trying to find out what Truman has in terms of talent and returners!

North Penn seems to be slipping a bit. Pennsbury & Neshaminy lost? Does Abington or Truman threaten again? Would be nice to see Souderton surge again. What’s about West and East threatening? Looks like South of Bucks only hope there.

I’m just guessing.

Peace

Why wow?

I’m just guessing.

Peace
Sol,
You have some very good points! It looks like we have to wait and see what Abington and Truman put on the field! Time will tell!! I hear Cheltenham could pose a threat..

Cheltenham returns a boat load of talent, especially at the skill positions. They will have a ton of speed on the field. Truman graduated a lot. I expect them to be a .500 team this year at best.

Cheltenham returns a boat load of talent, especially at the skill positions. They will have a ton of speed on the field. Truman graduated a lot. I expect them to be a .500 team this year at best.
.500 for Truman?? What data do you have to conclude that? But Cheltenham is loaded? Well what will Cheltenham record be??

Just basing it off players and coaches returning. Obviously, it is just a guess on my part. I’m not close to either program whatsoever. I am a fan of District 1. I hope all teams do well.

Just basing it off players and coaches returning. Obviously, it is just a guess on my part. I’m not close to either program whatsoever. I am a fan of District 1. I hope all teams do well.

HSF you are correct. I know Truman got a new head coach, we don't know what he is going to do and we don't know what Snyder and company left behind!! It certainly makes for some excitement! It sure is tough for that new coach to come and follow up 2 successful seasons that Pennsbury crew had! Clearly, with them leaving there must not be much talent at Truman is how I look at it! Who knows!!

Pennsbury (4-2) Say what you will but Coach Snyder won, going 116-48 in 14 years (2002-2016). New staff in 2017 went 1-3 vs Neshaminy (twice), North Penn, Coatesville….then 0-4 last year vs Skins, Knights, G-Val and Truman. That’s got to change for Falcons to rebound from last year’s 5-6 outing.

Minor correction: McShane took over at Pennsbury in 2016.

Totals so far are
NPenn 5 to 2 over Pridge
UD 6-1 over Soud
Nesh 5 to 2 over Pbury, was unclear but lean to Skins.

Last edited:
Well...if we are going to keep score...

Upper Dublin seems like a no-brainer.
Neshaminy, because when the sun comes up every day you start to expect it.
Pennridge...gut feeling.

Totals so far are
NPenn 5 to 1 over Pridge
UD 5-1 over Soud
Nesh 4 to 2 over Psb, was unclear but lean to Skins.
Stalk - Do I have my years mixed up or does Nesh have a new quarterback this coming season? I thought they lost a lot? No ?

Well...if we are going to keep score...

Upper Dublin seems like a no-brainer.
Neshaminy, because when the sun comes up every day you start to expect it.
Pennridge...gut feeling.

Pennridge seems to be a talented squad! Again I think folks are overlooking teams! Cheltenham returns almost everyone but your saying no brainers for Upper Dublin based off of what? Of course you are right about Neshaminy that is my alma mater!! So there is a little bias from me with regards to Neshaminy! However, Truman is the unknown factor! That's all bias aside! We know nothing about that program in terms of returners, talent or depth! I am going to base my opinion on Truman once I see some stats and see what they do! Gotta give that Ben Johnson guy (I think that's his name) a chance to show his product before we have them going back to the Truman of old!! I'll really get a good look at them when they play my skins!! We have them at home this year! They got away with one last year! Same thing with the galloping ghost we don't know much about them at least I don't anyway! Have a great weekend folks!

Reactions: Stalker
Stalk - Do I have my years mixed up or does Nesh have a new quarterback this coming season? I thought they lost a lot? No ?
Senior Brody McAndrews is back for his 3rd year under center. More later Soup.

Thanks! He is a stud and that’s a difference maker for them, Interesting ...

Skins have some firepower in Qb McAndrews and Rb Chris James (1368) and a few linemen returning after replacing all 5 last year. Seemed to manage that well enough as they usually do at the position. But Qb needs to improve from 54% and 16-12 Td/Pik ratio; a real drag on the O. Receiver corps and The D….wipe out city, losing over 460 tackles from starters and 2nd teamers. LB corps is gone with the big loss being Manzyk at FB (+560yds) and LB (#1 84 tackles). Opening schedule same as ‘18 meaning they have to have it together again early playing North Penn (away) and Pennridge (home) before a home encounter with LOADED Downingtown West. A 2-1 start against that bunch would be an accomplishment in my view, but they play it on the field where anything can happen between such great programs.

Reactions: Soup13
Skins have some firepower in Qb McAndrews and Rb Chris James (1368) and a few linemen returning after replacing all 5 last year. Seemed to manage that well enough as they usually do at the position. But Qb needs to improve from 54% and 16-12 Td/Pik ratio; a real drag on the O. Receiver corps and The D….wipe out city, losing over 460 tackles from starters and 2nd teamers. LB corps is gone with the big loss being Manzyk at FB (+560yds) and LB (#1 84 tackles). Opening schedule same as ‘18 meaning they have to have it together again early playing North Penn (away) and Pennridge (home) before a home encounter with LOADED Downingtown West. A 2-1 start against that bunch would be an accomplishment in my view, but they play it on the field where anything can happen between such great programs.

Stalker, those skins are a HUUGE threat!!

Some 26 or so seniors graduated last year and there were a lot of starters in that group so watch for a bunch of new faces (of course, returning senior Brody McAndrews at QB and junior Chris James at RB bring back plenty of experienced offense at those two key positions - and McAndrews will surely be able to demonstrate his leadership skills this season honed while a starter in 24 games during 2017 and 2018).

Then some 30 or so 9th and 10th grade guys (on last year's team) will provide a solid base of experience as returning sophs and juniors along with the roughly 20 juniors -- in 2018 -- who will now be the all important seniors in 2019 (I'll dig in a bit on returning starters and well experienced guys -- besides McAndrews and James -- in another post).

Will admit, though, that it might have been nice to see an easier game in that opening three arrangement as there will obviously be some settling down as the many new guys find their way. But year after year the 'Skins replace as necessary and with head coach Steve Wilmot's four year record as the man at the top coming in at 38-11 (a 78% winning percentage) it does demonstrate his capabilities as far as calling the shots and molding squads.

Go 'Skins!!

Records mean little the last 3 years in Suburban 1 as the league hasn’t looked real good. Last year the Redskins and Falcons did not do well outside of league play. Pennridge didn’t look strong and the D1 final was terribly lopsided. Being a Suburban 1 guy, I want to see a squad or 2 that can compete with Coatesville and takeout the Central and Downingtown power. I don’t consider the league strong unless this happens.

Each traditional Suburban power got easily handled last year. Neshaminy at Downingtown, Pennsbury at Garnet and N Penn Coatesville was not competitive. I thought Coatesville was just too much but losing to Harrisburg and watching the final I changed my mind.

Suburban 1 looks to be in an odd place. Anyone else seeing this, soup? Talent down?

Records mean little the last 3 years in Suburban 1 as the league hasn’t looked real good. Last year the Redskins and Falcons did not do well outside of league play. Pennridge didn’t look strong and the D1 final was terribly lopsided. Being a Suburban 1 guy, I want to see a squad or 2 that can compete with Coatesville and takeout the Central and Downingtown power. I don’t consider the league strong unless this happens.

Each traditional Suburban power got easily handled last year. Neshaminy at Downingtown, Pennsbury at Garnet and N Penn Coatesville was not competitive. I thought Coatesville was just too much but losing to Harrisburg and watching the final I changed my mind.

Suburban 1 looks to be in an odd place. Anyone else seeing this, soup? Talent down?
SOL- I agree. NP who was 13-1 was average in terms of the traditional NP teams. They won several close games; Nesh in OT and then 13-6. OT game with CRS, Came back in Souderton29-27. Coatesville blew them out so that says a lot right there. Runs in cycles and right now it’s down.

NP problem stems from division they play in. Teams with low numbers of players = mediocre teams, and NP is playing down to the competition which shows at playoff time when they play better competition.

NP problem stems from division they play in. Teams with low numbers of players = mediocre teams, and NP is playing down to the competition which shows at playoff time when they play better competition.
Agree. They have lost too many early rounds with superior talent. They have gone far a good amount too but not enough with all the talent there.

Any word on what the team from Fairless Hills has coming back? I know they always have strong numbers but any idea about how many starters. Assuming they will be favorites along with Neshaminy.

Shoe - Coatesville and the Downingtown’s beat up on Henderson WC East Shanahan who are considerably smaller so playing in a division w 1/2 mediocre teams isn’t the main factor. I think especially w Coatesville (vs the Downingtown’). you are seeing an extraordinary long period of talent that most schools will never get. North Penn is very very good and better than pretty much all in District 1 but they just haven’t had a run of consistent college Division 1 players Coatesville is getting. These 3 big schools are going to be very good again this year as will North Penn. I’m waiting for the Perk Valleys and Springfords to eclipse them all.

Chesmont, CV, & DT. schools have a very competitive rivalry. That is not true with NP. Most schools in their division are playing for second or just going through the moves to be .500. The history of NP has always been their large enrollment. They have more male students then most other schools have total enrollment. Numbers have always been their game, they have had few div. 1 players and only 1 NFL player and he is a kicker. Every team in their division has had far more D1 players and more NFL players and none were kickers!

Chesmont, CV, & DT. schools have a very competitive rivalry. That is not true with NP. Most schools in their division are playing for second or just going through the moves to be .500. The history of NP has always been their large enrollment. They have more male students then most other schools have total enrollment. Numbers have always been their game, they have had few div. 1 players and only 1 NFL player and he is a kicker. Every team in their division has had far more D1 players and more NFL players and none were kickers!
Surprising NP doesn’t produce more D1 BCS players but doesn’t take away what Dick Beck built. I’m looking forward to the season and hope to catch a few games.

Shoe - I agree but its hard to quantify that too. NP has a lot of FCS and D2 and more than their share of kids who washed down or out due to academics, etc.. Example; CB West has a D1 lineman or QB and several average football players and NO DEPTH that is not a recipe for winning. I'll take many good high school football players with numbers rather than a couple D1 kids and an average team with no depth. A good bit of D1 players fit the profile with size and/or speed and are not even close to their potential in high school or are just plain soft. No not all but 1-5 maybe 2-5.

To my point earlier not alot of talent athletes playing, but kids coached well and put in the right spot.

Shoe - I agree but its hard to quantify that too. NP has a lot of FCS and D2 and more than their share of kids who washed down or out due to academics, etc.. Example; CB West has a D1 lineman or QB and several average football players and NO DEPTH that is not a recipe for winning. I'll take many good high school football players with numbers rather than a couple D1 kids and an average team with no depth. A good bit of D1 players fit the profile with size and/or speed and are not even close to their potential in high school or are just plain soft. No not all but 1-5 maybe 2-5.
Interesting washed down or out due academics?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT