ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe's Prep and Widener parting ways???

IAdelco

Nov 7, 2011
Word on the street is St. Joe's maybe playing their home games at Wissahickon next year. Is this a better site than PW?

I much prefer the stadium at Wissahickon. Better sight lines because the bleachers are higher.

I much prefer the stadium at Wissahickon. Better sight lines because the bleachers are higher.

Is the Linc not available for Fri/Sat. games?.... or as a back-up, Franklin Field?

It's only befitting that the reigning City/State/National champions are viewed in a venue considering their stature and those proclaimed in total envy withdraw.

I think its a disgrace that SJP Administration allow these gridiron warriors to play on a field that's not of national or city historic quality... IMO.

I'm sure the monies saved from cutting most of the school's service missions can be used to buffer the brunt of the rental expenses. I believe the Eagles and/or Univ. of Penn should shoulder all of the rental costs deferring to the privilege that this opportunity presents..

Is the Linc not available for Fri/Sat. games?.... or as a back-up, Franklin Field?

It's only befitting that the reigning City/State/National champions are viewed in a venue considering their stature and those proclaimed in total envy withdraw.

I think its a disgrace that SJP Administration allow these gridiron warriors to play on a field that's not of national or city historic quality... IMO.

I'm sure the monies saved from cutting most of the school's service missions can be used to buffer the brunt of the rental expenses. I believe the Eagles and/or Univ. of Penn should shoulder all of the rental costs deferring to the privilege that this opportunity presents..
You epitomize yourself. You must have been the head of the father's club when we visited the open house and the envy and disdain came flowing out without one mention of SJP by anyone in the group. All in all, Sal is still a good neighborhood school.

You epitomize yourself. You must have been the head of the father's club when we visited the open house and the envy and disdain came flowing out without one mention of SJP by anyone in the group. All in all, Sal is still a good neighborhood school.

:DWINNER..:D WINNER..

Just won a side bet with a fellow poster that Roxy's dander would prompt a hairball re-gurge within 2 hrs.

@#epitome of predictability..

Envy (definition from Merriam-Webster):
Being highly successful in one's professional career and life, and not needing a diploma from the school at 17th & Girard to achieve it.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the idea of them building a field on a site they own around Roberts and Wissahickon?

Whatever happened to the idea of them building a field on a site they own around Roberts and Wissahickon?
Never owned it ... had an option on it for short period of time ... was never to be a stadium, only practice facility for majority of sports. Property around SJP has skyrocketed. The games will be at a separate site for some time.

Never owned it ... had an option on it for short period of time ... was never to be a stadium, only practice facility for majority of sports. Property around SJP has skyrocketed. The games will be at a separate site for some time.
Maybe laying in wait for the Girard College site??

Maybe laying in wait for the Girard College site??
Ff - it's the obvious best option and has been modestly pursued in the past, however, the Girard Trust is its own obstacle. Unfortunately, the trust hasn't been beneficially managed over time. The infrastructure of the buildings is in dire need of improvement, specifically mechanicals. There was recently an appraisal done on the property as part of the suit to mandate the students continue to be boarded. It's my understanding that the property could garner $35m+ on the open market due to demand in that immediate area. It would be cost prohibitive. If you haven't been in that area recently, it's worth a visit, development is incredible. The former Septa site was the best option but it didn't materialize due to combination of factors.

Ff - it's the obvious best option and has been modestly pursued in the past, however, the Girard Trust is its own obstacle. Unfortunately, the trust hasn't been beneficially managed over time. The infrastructure of the buildings is in dire need of improvement, specifically mechanicals. There was recently an appraisal done on the property as part of the suit to mandate the students continue to be boarded. It's my understanding that the property could garner $35m+ on the open market due to demand in that immediate area. It would be cost prohibitive. If you haven't been in that area recently, it's worth a visit, development is incredible. The former Septa site was the best option but it didn't materialize due to combination of factors.

Roxy- I know nothing about that area but just curious, would SJP be able to position themselves to take over that property and expand entire campus?? Kind of like Episcopal did but on a smaller scale??

Roxy- I know nothing about that area but just curious, would SJP be able to position themselves to take over that property and expand entire campus?? Kind of like Episcopal did but on a smaller scale??
V - it would be ideal but simply cost prohibitive. The value of the land alone, not to mention the expense for improvements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT