ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe/La Salle

Very good team, with many great players. I have seen them play a lot over the years and hope the best for the kids. However, the staff is classless, the stunt they pull on the goaline of teeing off on defenseless players is low rent. It's a punk move!

Very good team, with many great players. I have seen them play a lot over the years and hope the best for the kids. However, the staff is classless, the stunt they pull on the goaline of teeing off on defenseless players is low rent. It's a punk move!
Only listened to the game, so this is speculation rather than an "eye-witness account," but it sounded like what the Prep D-line was doing near the goal line was deliberately jumping the count either to increase the chance of a stop or, more likely, to incur the 6-12 inch half-the-distance penalty in order to induce LaSalle to jump next time and thus get a 5 yard penalty. It's the kind of thing Infante, who coaches with something of an edge, does quite a bit. If the intention was to injure the LaSalle players, there's no excuse.

When I was in Little League a long time ago a kid whose family had just moved from Brooklyn joined our team. His father used to sit in the stands and yell things like "The kid swings like a broken gate" when an 11-year old was batting for the other team. Our manager had to tell the father that in the Philly area parents didn't make such comments. The analogy isn't exact, but I think one could say that Infante coaches with an aggression influenced by being a New York-area guy.

Only listened to the game, so this is speculation rather than an "eye-witness account," but it sounded like what the Prep D-line was doing near the goal line was deliberately jumping the count either to increase the chance of a stop or, more likely, to incur the 6-12 inch half-the-distance penalty in order to induce LaSalle to jump next time and thus get a 5 yard penalty. It's the kind of thing Infante, who coaches with something of an edge, does quite a bit. If the intention was to injure the LaSalle players, there's no excuse.

When I was in Little League a long time ago a kid whose family had just moved from Brooklyn joined our team. His father used to sit in the stands and yell things like "The kid swings like a broken gate" when an 11-year old was batting for the other team. Our manager had to tell the father that in the Philly area parents didn't make such comments. The analogy isn't exact, but I think one could say that Infante coaches with an aggression influenced by being a New York-area guy.

The Olinemen is defenseless in this case. So, an injury can easily happen. Really makes Infante look classless. He does it all the time!

The Olinemen is defenseless in this case. So, an injury can easily happen. Really makes Infante look classless. He does it all the time!
What is the "it" you think Infante does all the time? I don't think the Prep plays dirty football if that's what you're suggesting.

What is the "it" you think Infante does all the time? I don't think the Prep plays dirty football if that's what you're suggesting.
I agree the Prep is a good hard hitting team and plays clean football. But what they do on the goal line is a cheap shot to a defenseless player, I don't blame the player as much as I blame the coaching staff. Its not jumping the count, its a blatant cheap shot!

I agree the Prep is a good hard hitting team and plays clean football. But what they do on the goal line is a cheap shot to a defenseless player, I don't blame the player as much as I blame the coaching staff. Its not jumping the count, its a blatant cheap shot!
I guess the question is whether the player did as we was told to do by a coach or whether the player, perhaps over-excited at that point in the game, overdid it and took a cheap shot.

I've seen some cheap shots from them over the years, but no more than any other HS team. Were the d-lineman teeing off on O-line and knocking them down?

It is taught. It is done on purpose and for whatever reason it always happens to LaSalle. I guess they are the only team in the Catholic league capable of getting to the 1 yd line anymore. Center gets creamed and the penalty is only a half a yard. The thought is the next time the center snaps the ball that he will mess up Qb center exchange and will cause a fumble.

It is taught. It is done on purpose and for whatever reason it always happens to LaSalle. I guess they are the only team in the Catholic league capable of getting to the 1 yd line anymore. Center gets creamed and the penalty is only a half a yard. The thought is the next time the center snaps the ball that he will mess up Qb center exchange and will cause a fumble.
How do you know it's taught and when did it happen last against LaSalle since, if you're right, "it always happens to LaSalle"? (Not asking because I don't believe you--I just can't remember it happening against LaSalle.)

Go back and look at tapes of games in years past. Everytime it happens Stiemetz yells over at Prep bench and Infante waves his hand back. Many years ago when Gordon was still coaching, Prep did it and sure enough, the next snap, the exchanged was fumbled and Prep recovered. I have personally seen it happen 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years. It's not a coincidence. That's all I'll say.

Go back and look at tapes of games in years past. Everytime it happens Stiemetz yells over at Prep bench and Infante waves his hand back. Many years ago when Gordon was still coaching, Prep did it and sure enough, the next snap, the exchanged was fumbled and Prep recovered. I have personally seen it happen 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years. It's not a coincidence. That's all I'll say.
Sorry, but I don't keep old tapes of Prep-LaSalle games around the house. But your comments jog a memory of the Prep going offside at least a couple of time in those situations. Was any LaSalle player ever injured? To me, what matters most is whether the Prep player hit the LaSalle player in a way likely to cause an injury. Maybe the Prep guy overdid it last night. Certainly if it appears to be an attempt to cause injury, the officials can throw the player out of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT