ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe/La Salle

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
Well here goes. What the Explorers need to do to win this weekend is play tough defense and try to limit St. Joe's time with the ball. At the very least...............oh who am I kidding.

St. Joe 42 La Salle 14

Well here goes. What the Explorers need to do to win this weekend is play tough defense and try to limit St. Joe's time with the ball. At the very least...............oh who am I kidding.

St. Joe 42 La Salle 14
Lasalle doesn’t have a chance. Programs going in two different directions! What will this be ?? 5-6 loss of the season.

Reactions: district1elite
They do have a chance, that's why they play the game anything can happen i have seen it. Big deal they might not be favorite, prep is on another level. Yes La Salle is having a down year but they didn't quit. That being said, they will still have 90-100 Kids on the field in August and of them 100 they have 2 Freshman players that are in my opinion the 2 best in the area. Abdul Carter (5Tds) & Sam Brown (8Td's), these are 2 very special players that have contributed a ton on the Varsity level this year. Last week's playoff game vs Judge Carter 7-143-2TDs, Brown 15-168-2TD's.....They will bring La Salle back in the future. Lets not forget there schedule this season, they played the best in the state, Prep 2x, IMHO, Malvern, North Penn. They might not have won any of them but every game besides the prep game was winable and competitive late. To say the direction there going is not good is pathetic.

Despite a (5-5) record LaSalle is a pretty good football team. They lost a lot from last year. They challenged themselves this year and came up on the short side in some tough early season games. Their five losses are to the #1, #3, #5, #6, and #8 ranked teams in my Top 25. As of today, I'd give them a better chance to win two of the games they lost. Nothing to be a ashamed of in their losses, tho. This is probably their best rushing team in some time. Their passing game isn't what's it's been, but it can be functional on some nights. Daly is a tough kid, who can make a play and fight for yards. I give them a chance this weekend, but it will be tough and they probably need SJP to play at minimum a C-level game, while they play close to an A-level game. Need to hold onto the ball and win the turnover battle at least by two. Rainy weather could help them. LS is solid to good on the OL. However, they have had major lapses on defense at different junctures of the season. SJP is so damn efficient in their passing game. They spread it around and the QB gets the ball out. Can't let SJP score on a return. Game plan this (I'm sure they will), but I believe SJP returned the opening kickoff in the first meeting. LaSalle can't fall behind because they aren't built to comeback versus a team of this caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDjones22
Like I said in a previous thread, the preps road to Hershey is a joke. Imagine if Central some how upsets northeast high... 3-9 record going into this week. It’s lame.

Like I said in a previous thread, the preps road to Hershey is a joke. Imagine if Central some how upsets northeast high... 3-9 record going into this week. It’s lame.
Can't blame Prep, well proven that they'll play anyone. It's the path they've been given, not one they've chosen. Got to get past LS in awful weather, anything can happen and frankly, LS is likely better than most in district 1.

Can't blame Prep, well proven that they'll play anyone. It's the path they've been given, not one they've chosen. Got to get past LS in awful weather, anything can happen and frankly, LS is likely better than most in district 1.

Stop it, LaSalle already lost to NP and would lose to at least 4-5 other schools in D1.

Coatesville's path to Hershey is also very difficult.

Stop it, LaSalle already lost to NP and would lose to at least 4-5 other schools in D1.
"At least 4 or 5" ... nope, they're off this year but D1 would not roll them ... compare their losses to entire D1 and I bet if D1 played LS schedule, the results would be the same, look at NP record alone against D1. I give NP credit, over previous 10+ years, they put SJP or LS on their schedule.

They do have a chance, that's why they play the game anything can happen i have seen it. Big deal they might not be favorite, prep is on another level. Yes La Salle is having a down year but they didn't quit. That being said, they will still have 90-100 Kids on the field in August and of them 100 they have 2 Freshman players that are in my opinion the 2 best in the area. Abdul Carter (5Tds) & Sam Brown (8Td's), these are 2 very special players that have contributed a ton on the Varsity level this year. Last week's playoff game vs Judge Carter 7-143-2TDs, Brown 15-168-2TD's.....They will bring La Salle back in the future. Lets not forget there schedule this season, they played the best in the state, Prep 2x, IMHO, Malvern, North Penn. They might not have won any of them but every game besides the prep game was winable and competitive late. To say the direction there going is not good is pathetic.

LaSalle is a very good program, having a bit of a down year compared to most. I got a chance to watch those two freshman play on film. They're both very good. Peek at preps roster and take a look at some of those 9th graders playing up that aren't getting time because of the guys in front of them. I recognize a couple of names. The one kid, Isaac White, if he is the kid from Visitation he is VERY VERY good.
LaSalle will always land talented players and certainly have two big pieces going forward. Prep, however has the same talent (and more) and much more depth.
In a day where many parents are shying away from letting their kids play this sport, prep is able to play starters ONE way! It's pretty remarkable.

With ALL of that being said... I would not be shocked to see LaSalle in the game in the 4th with a chance to win.

Reactions: Hookman2
So you're hoping that someone else would knock off prep because you don't have any faith in a district one school being able to get the job done themselves?

Reactions: paul from philly
LaSalle lost to North Penn by a touchdown. How many teams in D1 are better than North Penn, and is any other than Coatesville much better than NP? Maybe worth noting that Judge, which one all of one game in the PCL this year, beat Ridley by two TDs early in the year.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
In previous seasons, we could definitely say that about LaSalle. This year the Ches-Mont might have the three top teams in D1 followed by Garnet Valley. NP struggled to win many of their games. They should have lost to Neshaminy and CR-South and barely beat Souderton. We'll see how it plays out.

I’m not gonna argue with the prep riders.... it’s a joke when it comes playoff time. D1 won’t have a chance to knockoff prep either look at the brackets d1 plays d3 (unless it’s the state title game itself)

Last edited:
No I would love to see the prep in the district 1 tournament opposed to the city league tournament that’s my point exactly! I wish d1 got to play northeast high or central or the city league champ are you kidding me?? Northeast has it’s best team in years and they still don’t stand a chance... bring wood and Imhotep into 6A now we’re talking good district playoffs for prep and lasalle otherwise it’s 1 tough game until the state semi......

Lasalle is 26-20 over the last 4 years, which includes the self described "miracle catch" in the major upset over Prep and the Roman win when it took 3 chances on a last minute field goal to beat Roman. Roman faithful still talk about those calls. In fairness, if lasalle doesn't commit PI late against Parkland they probably win that one.

But to say they are having 1 bad year is not reasonable with a 26-20 record over the last 4 years. Going 1-12 against your rival with your tradition, facilities, and huge number of boys enrolled and the number that play football (100). Also, losing to Wood all of those last 4 years who is now a 4A team and both schools open enrollment, wood has 1/3 the male enrollment. This is a trend,not one bad year.

Also, having one of the best WR's around leave after freshman year to join your arch rival, isn't something that used to happen.

Lasalle with open enrollment should be better than D1 schools each year.

Coatesville
NP
DTW
DTE
GV
Nesh
maybe truman

But this is not the strongest year in D1 either, looks like a very good CV and everyone else.

The only team that I'd put in as a lock to beat Lasalle today is Coatesville. Yes, other teams could beat them, but LaSalle could definitely beat every other D-1 6A team on a given Friday night.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
I’m not gonna argue with the prep riders.... it’s a joke when it comes playoff time. D1 won’t have a chance to knockoff prep either look at the brackets d1 plays d3 (unless it’s the state title game itself)

D-1 won't have a chance to knock off SJP because they bitched and moaned (Along with D-3) to change the brackets so one of them gets to the final.

Reactions: Concretechuck
No I would love to see the prep in the district 1 tournament opposed to the city league tournament that’s my point exactly! I wish d1 got to play northeast high or central or the city league champ are you kidding me?? Northeast has it’s best team in years and they still don’t stand a chance... bring wood and Imhotep into 6A now we’re talking good district playoffs for prep and lasalle otherwise it’s 1 tough game until the state semi......

SJP would more than likely mercy rule every 6A team in D-1 outside of Coatesville. I don't think most of the D-1 6A teams would love to see SJP in their tournament.

D-1 won't have a chance to knock off SJP because they bitched and moaned (Along with D-3) to change the brackets so one of them gets to the final.

That's why the brackets changed? Seriously? D1 has direct route to the state semis every year. That's more than good enough for me. If anyone should complain it's D11, they still can't avoid D12 in the state quarters.

Reactions: Concretechuck
That's why the brackets changed? Seriously? D1 has direct route to the state semis every year. That's more than good enough for me. If anyone should complain it's D11, they still can't avoid D12 in the state quarters.
Huck is correct. That's why the brackets changed

SJP would more than likely mercy rule every 6A team in D-1 outside of Coatesville. I don't think most of the D-1 6A teams would love to see SJP in their tournament.

Maybe this year sure, but that north penn team with udinksi nearly upset them... coatesville too. My point is d1 has challenges week to week in the district playoffs and beat each other up. Prep playing anyone other than lasalle in their district bracket is bench your stars and rest up. Central is 3-9!!! And if they upset northeast.... it’s ridiculous.

Maybe this year sure, but that north penn team with udinksi nearly upset them... coatesville too. My point is d1 has challenges week to week in the district playoffs and beat each other up. Prep playing anyone other than lasalle in their district bracket is bench your stars and rest up. Central is 3-9!!! And if they upset northeast.... it’s ridiculous.

Well, we’re talking about this year. Sure, Roman wasn’t much of challenge last week and if Central were to win (they won’t) this week that would not be good. However, is it the competition is bad? Or, is the better team just on another level? Northwest isn’t a bad football team generally speaking. As a comparison they beat Abington by 20 points. Three D-1 6A playoff teams also played and beat Abington this year: Neshaminy by 20, Truman by 15, and CR South by 4. Also, what’s this challenged every week nonsense? Coatesville, Garnet, D-East, D-West, and Neshaminy won their games by a combined 150 points. That’s a 30-point average.

Of course the prep is on another level... they recruit serious talent. Yea you say challenged every week nonsense of course there’s gonna be blowouts there’s 16 teams that make district 1 not 1 with a losing record... d12 u got 2-9 central, south philly 4-7, Roman Catholic, preps 1st round playoff game 0-10!!!!, and father judge 2-8... so please. That district playoff is a embarrassment. 8 wins TOTAL of 4/8 teams seeded in that district with losing records.

Last edited:

St. Joe 42 La Salle 14

I want to change my prediction. With this weather, all bets are off!! Windy, cold downpour, anything can happen!! Good luck to all.

Prep 23-13 final. Phantom hold call hurt LaSalle on long play early 4th. Preps D flies around. Looked sloppy on O at times but they have weapons at their disposal. LaSalle kids battled all game.

Reactions: Bighead75
Prep 23-13 final. Phantom hold call hurt LaSalle on long play early 4th. Preps D flies around. Looked sloppy on O at times but they have weapons at their disposal. LaSalle kids battled all game.
Only followed the game on radio and so can't comment on how teams "looked."

I would have been very surprised if it had been another blowout game. First, it remains a rivalry game, which I think puts extra pressure on the favorite. Interesting that in the last six years when the Prep has been the clear favorite (and won 11 of 12) they've never beaten LaSalle twice in the same year by a wide margin. That's understandable.

Also, the fact that the Prep hadn't played a competitive game in two months is not a help going into a game like tonight's. I know some posters on here have complained that the Prep played a winless Roman team in the first round of the playoffs, but there's an obvious downside to that.

Sounds like the weather may have had something to do with the Prep's "sloppiness" on offense. I know both teams played in the same weather, but bad weather often helps the under-dog and probably threw the Prep offense of its game a little more than it threw LaSalle's.

Cerruti being out is a blow since he anchors the O-Line. Is he expected back? And is McKee returning? The announcers also suggested Burrell was playing injured.

Finally, it seems Talley had a great game, especially in the 4th quarter. Didn't he sit out the last couple of games last year because of injury? He could be huge vs. Coatesville.

You are assuming State Final? Not going there yet.... Harrisburg’s is possibly looming
Any idea about the Hsbg quarterback transfer in that is adding a great deal to their offense? Where did he come from ?

ADVERTISEMENT