ADVERTISEMENT

So

The only classifications that did not have private schools in the finals. Hmmmmm

Just stating the obvious have not said anything g about recruiting or anything like that but we may be seeing the end of public school football being able to compete

Just stating the obvious have not said anything g about recruiting or anything like that but we may be seeing the end of public school football being able to compete

Well, you don't really have to say it. People are quite capable of reading between the lines.

Anyway, I guess we'all start to see PUBS discontinue their programs since they can't compete. That stinks.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Well that was the case this year for sure. What was the closest game this weekend Pub vs Private

Sam: What I'm saying here is- Look at the 2A and 3A private schools and their locations. Does the location dictate the number of players on a team? Does budget affect sports? Does pulling kids/players from the area a difficult task for the schools? It's not just an open enrollment issue for some schools.

Reactions: EPC FAN
In 6A there are only a handful of public schools that will ever have a chance to compete for a state championship:
North Penn
Parkland
Neshaminy
Pennsbury
Coatesville
Spring-Ford: That district is still growing, will have the #'s as the above schools
North Allegheny
Pine Richland
There's prob another District 7 team I am forgetting in 6A
And every few years a team that has a little magic and goes on a run

Other than these schools, it's Prep, LaSalle, and PCC. The rest of the 6A schools, their goal becomes to make noise in districts. Not sour grapes, simply fact.

And an empty Hershey Park Stadium for 6A final. Something has to change.
The crowd looked OK to me, especially on the Prep side.

I watched only the 6A final--I'm out of state now and so had to watch it via the pay stream on the net--and am wondering about attendance at all the games. I would expect lots from Harrisburg given that Hershey is so close--and from Middletown too. Tep doesn't get much of a crowd even when they play in Philly. I was surprised by the small number of Parkland people who came to Philly for their game against SJP. (SJP got criticized a lot a few years ago for the size of their crowd in the Lehigh Valley.) We know about the small numbers at the Big 33 game. So my question is what are realistic expectations for crowds at state playoff games at this point in time--not 20 years ago?

D1

Using your logic that is only 3 open enrollment 6a schools that can compete out off 96? 3 Prep, PCC, and right now a distant LaSalle.....

I would put Cumberland Valley, Central Dauphin, and State College just off top of my head not to mention Easton or another EPC team to your list.....

Harrisburg had a great crowd being so close....I thought SJP and Wood both had a nice crowds as well....With TV and PA demographics, PA HS football crowds will never consistently be what they once were. The TEP game and BG game were light, heard 1800 for Friday afternoon game.....

D1

Using your logic that is only 3 open enrollment 6a schools that can compete out off 96? 3 Prep, PCC, and right now a distant LaSalle.....

I would put Cumberland Valley, Central Dauphin, and State College just off top of my head not to mention Easton or another EPC team to your list.....

Harrisburg had a great crowd being so close....I thought SJP and Wood both had a nice crowds as well....With TV and PA demographics, PA HS football crowds will never consistently be what they once were. The TEP game and BG game were light, heard 1800 for Friday afternoon game.....
Live television has killed attendance. There is no question about. I remember Ridley and North Allegheney filled the place. No live TV for that game.

In 6A there are only a handful of public schools that will ever have a chance to compete for a state championship:
North Penn
Parkland
Neshaminy
Pennsbury
Coatesville
Spring-Ford: That district is still growing, will have the #'s as the above schools
North Allegheny
Pine Richland
There's prob another District 7 team I am forgetting in 6A
And every few years a team that has a little magic and goes on a run

Other than these schools, it's Prep, LaSalle, and PCC. The rest of the 6A schools, their goal becomes to make noise in districts. Not sour grapes, simply fact.

In the WPIAL that's about it. MAYBE Lebo or Penn Hills once in a blue moon, but I doubt it. As long as ECP is good McDowell will likely not be a power either.

D1

Bucks:
They are the only 3 open enrollment schools in 6A with a chance. Nobody else in the west, and I don't see any other PCL teams who have a remote chance of catching up with the big two.

I figured I forgot a few schools in the middle part of the state. CD did it in 2011, but it seems the other two and Wilson West Lawn can't ever go over the hump against whomever the D7 school is.

Question...
Why are both Pope John Paul and Bishop Shanahan both not in the PCL?
Isn't Pop JP the old Kennedy Kendrick??

CYO: I believe it was a combination of KK and the St Pius school in pottstown. i think St. Pius was just down the street from Pottsgrove. Why those 2 aren't in the PCL is a mystery. Maybe one of the Chestmont guys know about Shanahan.

CYO: I believe it was a combination of KK and the St Pius school in pottstown. i think St. Pius was just down the street from Pottsgrove. Why those 2 aren't in the PCL is a mystery. Maybe one of the Chestmont guys know about Shanahan.

Shf.. I'm not sure about KK.. but I think the issue for St. P had to do with travel time to and from to the city... when you take all sports into consideration.. I know LC has been debating the same issue the last couple of years.. on one hand they want to play in the PCL.. but on the other hand traveling in and out of the city eats up a lot of time.. makes it hard for fans to watch games the games that are after school (i.e baseball, soccer etc).. plus you miss playing the local teams

Reactions: Jimbo17
makes sense, good call. What I meant about KK and St Pius was the merger of the two schools to create PJP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT