ADVERTISEMENT

SJP

scs13

Oct 11, 2003
Full disclosure, I did not see or listen to the game between the Prep and St. Peter’s last night, but read an article that stated the the Prep held the #7 ranked team in NJ to 28 total yards for the full game and forced a running clock for the full 2nd half even without the services of their star QB. Is this a down year for SPP or the is the SJP defense really going to be that dominant? I always thought that nothing would top the COVID year Hawks D with the 2 Trotters, Johnson, a younger Dumond, and other stout kids. While early in the season, this could be an indication that this D has a chance to be their best one yet.

Tulla or other Prep followers, were you able to watch or listen to the game? Would welcome your insights here. Is Samaj out with a major injury? Any other injuries from the IMG game?

PCC certainly looks like a contender, as well, among others.

Last edited:
Full disclosure, I did not see or listen to the game between the Prep and St. Peter’s last night, but read an article that stated the the Prep held the #7 ranked team in NJ to 28 total yards for the full game and forced a running clock for the full 2nd half even without the services of their star QB. Is this a down year for SPP or the is the SJP defense really going to be that dominant? I always thought that nothing would top the COVID year Hawks D with the 2 Trotters, Johnson, a younger Dumond, and other stout kids. While early in the season, this could be an indication that this D has a chance to be their best one yet.

Tulla or other Prep followers, were you able to watch or listen to the game? Would welcome your insights here. Is Samaj out with a major injury? Any other injuries from the IMG game?

I listened to the first half.

Samaj Jones has a shoulder injury. The suggestion was that it's not so serious, but I don't think the broadcasters knew a lot. The article on Eastern PA makes you think he could be back next week,

I didn't hear Kady Phillips's name called. It would be too bad if he's hurt, but SJP is not short of very good running backs. Agard injured himself when he came down with an interception late in the first half, but it didn't sound so serious, i.e., he didn't have to be helped off the field or anything.

My guess is that St. Peter's Prep is relatively weak this year. They have a sophomore QB who was under siege all game. Last week they lost by three TDs to a very good team in Georgia, but they at least got two TDs themselves.

You'd have to say, based on the first two games, that the Prep's D may be their strongest ever. Roy may be their best DT since at least the oldest Johnson brother--and he's only a junior. And Sacca is just getting used to being a LB.

The next two weeks on the road in Florida and North Jersey will be a huge test. Even if Samaj is back, hard to think he'll be 100%.

I listened to the first half.

Samaj Jones has a shoulder injury. The suggestion was that it's not so serious, but I don't think the broadcasters knew a lot. The article on Eastern PA makes you think he could be back next week,

I didn't hear Kady Phillips's name called. It would be too bad if he's hurt, but SJP is not short of very good running backs. Agard injured himself when he came down with an interception late in the first half, but it didn't sound so serious, i.e., he didn't have to be helped off the field or anything.

My guess is that St. Peter's Prep is relatively weak this year. They have a sophomore QB who was under siege all game. Last week they lost by three TDs to a very good team in Georgia, but they at least got two TDs themselves.

You'd have to say, based on the first two games, that the Prep's D may be their strongest ever. Roy may be their best DT since at least the oldest Johnson brother--and he's only a junior. And Sacca is just getting used to being a LB.

The next two weeks on the road in Florida and North Jersey will be a huge test. Even if Samaj is back, hard to think he'll be 100%.
#10 is a monster player as #10 always is.

I went to the game yesterday. This might be their fastest defense as of late. Moving Sacca to linebacker and the addition of Smith makes them faster than any group i remember. Roy may be their best traditional defensive tackle I’ve seen. I’m use to seeing smaller wrestler style tackles at SJP. They are extremely deep at rb. As expected West carried the load yesterday. I believe 4 different rbs scored in total yesterday. #24 may be their fastest back and he’s fresh/soph. Not sure if film showed SPP as an inferior opponent but SJP didn’t play many starters on offense long. Seen a bunch of young wrs and backs. The back up qb controlled the game well. Tossed it around a bit and didn’t commit any turnovers.

There defense kept them in the game against img. Any team that lost to img by a field goal and had a chance to win that game is at a whole different level then other high schools. This was a team of sophomores that lost to lebo two years ago and won a title last year. This group is now seniors and are loaded. They are one of the best teams In the country and is full of D1 talent. I think this might be there best team yet.

Reactions: Bighead75
There defense kept them in the game against img. Any team that lost to img by a field goal and had a chance to win that game is at a whole different level then other high schools. This was a team of sophomores that lost to lebo two years ago and won a title last year. This group is now seniors and are loaded. They are one of the best teams In the country and is full of D1 talent. I think this might be there best team yet.
There is a long way to go ,but presently I would bet its PCC/ST Joe for the title.

That’s bad optically
But apparently no one in western PA has had a problem with PCC not having boundaries. Does that change when they have a really good team?

A question about Samaj Jones. Was he hurt before, during or after the IMG game?

But apparently no one in western PA has had a problem with PCC not having boundaries. Does that change when they have a really good team?

A question about Samaj Jones. Was he hurt before, during or after the IMG
He finished IMG. Seen him running and throwing pregame. Not sure of his injury though.

My hunch is SJP and Lakeland both held out key players who were a tad banged up. They'll probably both be mostly full strength tomorrow.

A question about Samaj Jones. Was he hurt before, during or after the IMG game?
No one is able to do what prep does. Prep has advantages that even other private schools don't have. They are able to pull from a greater talent pool (NJ Philly) and with them playing a national schedule against other nation teams draws in the talent. They play on ESPN yearly which brings in the talent and money to the school. This is a generational team for PCC. PCC didn't even win the wpial last year. Prep pulls this talent every year. Prep never has down years and will continue not to have to rebuild. PCC will have a rebuilding year next year. PCC's last appearance in Hershey was 2016 (a 42-7 loss to prep) and has won one state title in the last decade. Prep has made 10 out of the last 11 and soon to be 11 out of 12 and has won 7 titles probably 8 after this year. I don't have an issue with prep but you comparing prep to other Pennsylvania high schools is just silly. Prep is in the same category as mater dei, bishop Gorman, St John's, and St Francis. Those are the schools you should be comparing prep to.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcc64 and new2pa
No one is able to do what prep does. Prep has advantages that even other private schools don't have. They are able to pull from a greater talent pool (NJ Philly) and with them playing a national schedule against other nation teams draws in the talent. They play on ESPN yearly which brings in the talent and money to the school. This is a generational team for PCC. PCC didn't even win the wpial last year. Prep pulls this talent every year. Prep never has down years and will continue not to have to rebuild. PCC will have a rebuilding year next year. PCC's last appearance in Hershey was 2016 (a 42-7 loss to prep) and has won one state title in the last decade. Prep has made 10 out of the last 11 and soon to be 11 out of 12 and has won 7 titles probably 8 after this year. I don't have an issue with prep but you comparing prep to other Pennsylvania high schools is just silly. Prep is in the same category as mater dei, bishop Gorman, St John's, and St Francis. Those are the schools you should be comparing prep to.
How many other private schools does PCC compete with for students, including football-playing students? SJP competes with more than a dozen in SE PA and SW Jersey--as well as with IMHOTEP and with all the suburban public schools. That's not saying SJP doesn't have advantages; it's just a different situation.

You’re obviously new to the board in name and comment. Prep has drawn from same area for almost 100 years and started their 173rd year this week. To say PCC doesn’t have the same advantage is laughable. Prep is nowhere near the category of schools you mention. But, SJP has raised the bar for all. They are part of PCL which has proven competitive in PIAA. Open boundary is an advantage, but these kids are within 45 minutes of SJP. Yes, Prep created a competitive football environment of playing out of state 35+ years ago and that has now become a draw. PIAA wanted the PCL for competition and visibility and here we are. SJP has no fields and a very limited weight room.

You’re obviously new to the board in name and comment. Prep has drawn from same area for almost 100 years and started their 173rd year this week. To say PCC doesn’t have the same advantage is laughable. Prep is nowhere near the category of schools you mention. But, SJP has raised the bar for all. They are part of PCL which has proven competitive in PIAA. Open boundary is an advantage, but these kids are within 45 minutes of SJP. Yes, Prep created a competitive football environment of playing out of state 35+ years ago and that has now become a draw. PIAA wanted the PCL for competition and visibility and here we are. SJP has no fields and a very limited weight room.
I have nothing against prep but you are delusional if you think you can compare prep to anyother school in pa. Ive heard they have over 20 D1 kids. 3 of the top 10 recruits from Pa in next years class are prep football players. Prep isn't like anyother school in pa.

How many other private schools does PCC compete with for students, including football-playing students? SJP competes with more than a dozen in SE PA and SW Jersey--as well as with IMHOTEP and with all the suburban public schools. That's not saying SJP doesn't have advantages; it's just a different situation.
Here you go https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-private-high-schools/m/pittsburgh-metro-area/ PCC plays other wpial schools. If prep only draws kids from Philly and not NJ and only played a local schedule they wouldn't be nearly as good or have the amount of talent they pull. I'm not a prep hater but to say they are the same as all other pa schools is crazy. Prep gets D1 talent and kids looking for major college scholarships because they play img, st peters, don bosko, St Thomas Aquinas and on ESPN. I believe they are playing Lakeland from Florida this weekend. Not to mention pulling from Philly and NJ. No other school does that. Theres a reason they are top 25 in the country year in and year out and pull D1 talent unlike another school. Prep never has to rebuild. Tulla we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Here you go https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-private-high-schools/m/pittsburgh-metro-area/ PCC plays other wpial schools. If prep only draws kids from Philly and not NJ and only played a local schedule they wouldn't be nearly as good or have the amount of talent they pull. I'm not a prep hater but to say they are the same as all other pa schools is crazy. Prep gets D1 talent and kids looking for major college scholarships because they play img, st peters, don bosko, St Thomas Aquinas and on ESPN. I believe they are playing Lakeland from Florida this weekend. Not to mention pulling from Philly and NJ. No other school does that. Theres a reason they are top 25 in the country year in and year out and pull D1 talent unlike another school. Prep never has to rebuild. Tulla we are just going to have to agree to disagree.
PCC pulls from Ohio. Or did that stop ? Could you imagine if Prep got the kids from imhotep ? Not only would they compete they would be top 5 year after year.

It should be noted that part of the reason for SJP's strength is that they've been "playing up" for over 20 years. They lost to Bosco three times before they beat them, to Iggy two times before they beat them, and now they've lost twice to IMG. In fact, most of the time they've been on ESPN (Marietta, IMG, STA, etc.) they've lost.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
PCC pulls from Ohio. Or did that stop ? Could you imagine if Prep got the kids from imhotep ? Not only would they compete they would be top 5 year after year.
Which one of their players is from Ohio? please tell?

Which one of their players is from Ohio please tell? Put it out there?

It should be noted that part of the reason for SJP's strength is that they've been "playing up" for over 20 years. They lost to Bosco three times before they beat them, to Iggy two times before they beat them, and now they've lost twice to IMG. In fact, most of the time they've been on ESPN (Marietta, IMG, STA, etc.) they've lost.
tulla- i am not a "prep hater."
but- most schools in Pa have never had the ability to "play up." This is an advantage allowed/enjoyed by sjp

roxy- for 30 years, PCC has had different and more strict rules than sjp in the following areas- recruiting, feeder programs, eligibility for players and students, and rules for scheduling games. To compare PCC and SJP is barely even "apples and oranges." Yes, they have raised the bar, and im glad- but their path has been much different than PCC.

in addition to the 120 publics- these are the private, non-boundary schools in pgh area (@30 mile radius), that PCC is "competing with" to get kids, with all having played for football championships, either district or state-8
North Catholic
Greensburg Central Catholic
Shady Side Academy
Seton Lasalle
Imani Christian
Serra Catholic
Bishop Canevin
Our Lady of Sacred Heart

roxy- for 30 years, PCC has had different and more strict rules than sjp in the following areas- recruiting, feeder programs, eligibility for players and students, and rules for scheduling games. To compare PCC and SJP is barely even "apples and oranges." Yes, they have raised the bar, and im glad- but their path has been much different than PCC.
really curious what eligibilty for players and students means

Agreed I'm not a prep hater or a PCC fan. I'm just a fan of Pennsylvania football. I don't have a dog in the fight. I'll be pulling for prep against Lakeland this weekend but to compare prep to anyother high school football team in Pa is crazy. Kids want to play for prep because they are a traveling team that plays a national schedule against other traveling all star teams. You will get more notary playing along side other D1 kids against D1 kids on ESPN sometimes. I can't blame the kids. If I was a major football talent that's where I'd be playing. You will get more recognition. PCC is allowed to schedule 1 week 0 game against a a non wpial team, that's it! RCH13, I'm still curious who's on the roster from Ohio. Fill me in?

Last edited:
in addition to the 120 publics- these are the private, non-boundary schools in pgh area (@30 mile radius), that PCC is "competing with" to get kids, with all having played for football championships, either district or state-8
North Catholic
Greensburg Central Catholic
Shady Side Academy
Seton Lasalle
Imani Christian
Serra Catholic
Bishop Canevin
Our Lady of Sacred Heart
Do all those schools have competitive football teams? In the Philly area there are 12 other PCL schools that have football programs (some of which, e.g. LaSalle, Roman, Wood, etc.) have been quite strong in the last couple of decades, the six Interac Schools (including Malvern Prep and Haverford), IMHOTEP (which, like all PPL schools, can draw from the entire city), JPII and Shanahan. Then there are the several south Jersey privates.

I understand the WPIAL rules leave PCC--and others--seriously limit games outside the WPIAL. Of course, the WPIAL could change that.

I posted this on another thread but it's probably more relevant here:

Roxy and I have seen SJP building its program for nearly 30 years. It's been very incremental and at times there have been some rough patches--and not just right after Brooks left. And while everyone knows there are advantages to being able to draw players from all parts of the Philadelphia area, we're aware of all the hurdles the program has had to deal with. Not having a practice field on site IS a disadvantage and players having to commute 30-60 minutes each way is a challenge. And the academics can be a hurdle that doesn't apply to all schools. In recent years students from more far-out parts of the Philly area have been coming to the Prep; that's largely because the quality of the program is better-known, partly because of things like the ESPN appearances. Again, we know most schools cannot build their programs this way, but it should be seen that the Prep has had to build theirs brick by brick.

yes, all of those schools had, still have decent or good football programs- and yes, i agree and respect that sjp has built a great program- but my point and that of others, is the rules and restrictions of wpial make it near impossible to build up the way sjp has

yes, all of those schools had, still have decent or good football programs- and yes, i agree and respect that sjp has built a great program- but my point and that of others, is the rules and restrictions of wpial make it near impossible to build up the way sjp has
It seems some like the WPIAL the way it is and others want changes, big ones in some cases. There are no doubt good reasons for the WPIAL wanting to keep teams playing all but one of their games within the league, but that clearly is a disadvantage for some schools that for one reason or another want to play more games outside the WPIAL. It's really a self-imposed disadvantage or limitation, isn't it?

One further thought, this one about ESPN. Yes, playing on ESPN raises the profile of a program but it comes with some risk. What if you get blown out? I can hear the chorus of "OVER-RATED" ready to sound.

Last year SJP went to FL to play St. Thomas Aquinas. The game was on ESPN and in the middle of the second quarter it looked as if STA was on a different level altogether. Fortunately for the Prep, they made an impressive comeback. This year, again on ESPN, they opened the season against IMG which was playing its second game. You could say SJP (which draws all its players from within commuting distance of Philly) shouldn't be playing a school that draws its players from all across the country. When the Prep kids are travelling 5, 10, 20 miles to early morning summer workouts in North Philly, the IMG players are all in dorms next to their magnificent practice facilities. I know: you're shaking your head at the unfairness of it all. The Prep just plays the game.

really curious what eligibilty for players and students means
D7 / wpial rules kids ineligible all the time, and most families know that in burgh
It seems some like the WPIAL the way it is and others want changes, big ones in some cases. There are no doubt good reasons for the WPIAL wanting to keep teams playing all but one of their games within the league, but that clearly is a disadvantage for some schools that for one reason or another want to play more games outside the WPIAL. It's really a self-imposed disadvantage or limitation, isn't it?
yes, 100% spot-on

I think we still have a long way to go before we call Central Catholic "generational" but even if they are, I would bet they still won't be good enough to beat this SJP team

timing is everything and Central seems to have their best teams the same time SJP has theirs over the past decade

Lakeland up 7-0 on Prep. Long TD on a double pass. 538 left in first

How is this a generational Pitt CC team........?........with the same personnel from last year that had narrow wins in most of their games and were hammered by Pine Richland 35-13. Hammered!
And they lost to North Allegheny twice; 7-3, 35-21. Lost to Lebo 17-16 and were trounced by St. Eds 42-10.
All this with generational talent?

Hey, maybe they are. But I've asked this a few times and no one seems to have ANY answer. How are they a generational team?

These items are all subjective commentary with the exception of the PCC schedule. Ironically, WPIAL has a stronger depth of league, but the PCL has played by same rules for as long and likely longer. SJP consciously chose to play a challenging preseason schedule for over 30 years now. It was a battle test strategy and of all those games, they are likely 50/50 over the years. They are playing by the rules that existed before and after PIAA. If the same process exists for WPIAL, before and after PIAA, then it is what it is, just like PCL - play by your rules. If the rules are a disadvantage to WPIAL, then that’s not an SJP issue.

How is this a generational Pitt CC team........?........with the same personnel from last year that had narrow wins in most of their games and were hammered by Pine Richland 35-13. Hammered!
And they lost to North Allegheny twice; 7-3, 35-21. Lost to Lebo 17-16 and were trounced by St. Eds 42-10.

Hey, maybe they are. But I've asked this a few times and no one seems to have ANY answer. How are they a generational team?
They are not. Not even sure their better than the 2019 team just yet

Last edited:

i agree my guess is people think Ryan Lehmeier their new coach is the difference maker

he was the most hyped offensive coordinator I've seen since Mike Martz with the Rams Greatest Show On Turf offense from over 20 years ago, the only high school offensive coordinator i've ever seen get mentioned in a news article

despite failing to get Seneca Valley to the playoffs last year and PR winning another state title without him

their old coach Terry Totten is back at Central as an assistant now, how weird is that?

Do all those schools have competitive football teams? In the Philly area there are 12 other PCL schools that have football programs (some of which, e.g. LaSalle, Roman, Wood, etc.) have been quite strong in the last couple of decades, the six Interac Schools (including Malvern Prep and Haverford), IMHOTEP (which, like all PPL schools, can draw from the entire city), JPII and Shanahan. Then there are the several south Jersey privates.

I understand the WPIAL rules leave PCC--and others--seriously limit games outside the WPIAL. Of course, the WPIAL could change that.

I posted this on another thread but it's probably more relevant here:

Roxy and I have seen SJP building its program for nearly 30 years. It's been very incremental and at times there have been some rough patches--and not just right after Brooks left. And while everyone knows there are advantages to being able to draw players from all parts of the Philadelphia area, we're aware of all the hurdles the program has had to deal with. Not having a practice field on site IS a disadvantage and players having to commute 30-60 minutes each way is a challenge. And the academics can be a hurdle that doesn't apply to all schools. In recent years students from more far-out parts of the Philly area have been coming to the Prep; that's largely because the quality of the program is better-known, partly because of things like the ESPN appearances. Again, we know most schools cannot build their programs this way, but it should be seen that the Prep has had to build theirs brick by brick.
North Catholic, Seton

It feels that way to me but only time will tell. They have the talent and there passing game is much improved. It seems much more organic then this year rather than forced and there's a lot of kids that started as sophomores and are now seniors.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...a-cole-sullivan-ty-yuhas/stories/202308200012 most these kids were underclassmen that have started for 2 years now and are now seniors. They have a big line and a much improved passing attack. The passing attack looks much more organic this year rather than forced. They don't have near the firepower as sjp prep but they are good. Much improved from last year.

Agreed I'm not a prep hater or a PCC fan. I'm just a fan of Pennsylvania football. I don't have a dog in the fight. I'll be pulling for prep against Lakeland this weekend but to compare prep to anyother high school football team in Pa is crazy. Kids want to play for prep because they are a traveling team that plays a national schedule against other traveling all star teams. You will get more notary playing along side other D1 kids against D1 kids on ESPN sometimes. I can't blame the kids. If I was a major football talent that's where I'd be playing. You will get more recognition. PCC is allowed to schedule 1 week 0 game against a a non wpial team, that's it! RCH13, I'm still curious who's on the roster from Ohio. Fill me in?
It was a question. Didn’t mean currently.

Thanks NA, BP and Drip. I'm the last one to get after PCC with family from there.

Thanks for the response, trying to get a handle on 6A beyond SJP. I think its WAY up in the air.
* PCC looking formidable with a schedule that supports notion. 46 allowed to Bethel?
* NA too with a far less formidable slate tho PCC's teams were rebuilding.
Thing about 6A Wpial is they'll work it out next few weeks with rematches in post season.

* State College lost to a very good Dtown East team, will rep D6
* Harrisburg usually responds after a bad loss but still a very young team.
* Township; My favorite with premature call last year but did a number on Hbg last week 38-6
* Central Dauphin coming on per last week's rout of a decent Coatesville 35-13
Like Wpial, these teams all play each other then rematch.

* Parkland is blowing teams away allowing 21 total
* Naz as above at Park next
Neither Emmaus or Freedom can stay handle these two with SJP waiting.

That's my take on things to date.

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT