ADVERTISEMENT

SJP, Swift, etc.

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
I listened to the game tonight. Sounded like Swift was used almost exclusively as a decoy--and often wasn't in. Can anyone who was there report how he looked?

Sounded like the Prep was, like last year, really rusty after the bye week. Hoping for a better performance next week.

I listened to the game tonight. Sounded like Swift was used almost exclusively as a decoy--and often wasn't in. Can anyone who was there report how he looked?

Sounded like the Prep was, like last year, really rusty after the bye week. Hoping for a better performance next week.
Either Swift is hurt or he is the most under utilized big time player I have ever seen . I have been waiting for him to light it up .

Swift was a decoy all night an was non effective. My opinion Roman played well an held prep to 1 TD in 2nd half and only 22pts total. Either prep was playing down or there not as good as what people say without Swift involved. Roman had a lot of open receivers all night and the QB wasn't close in finding them if he was accurate that game is closer. I was impressed by #8 & #10 for Roman, very good players. Prep Plays like that vs LaSalle they might not come out with a W

SJP offensive line did not impress me at all. Roman was in the back field putting pressure on the QB all night. Roman had chances but QB could not connect on anything until final drive. Roman has some nice skill players just no one to get them the ball.

Roman qb should prepare to play another position in college I've been saying he would be a nice de has the frame for it but qb isn't gonna happen

Clearly SJP was off. Give credit to Roman, they were tough and had solid game plan. They have scary speed in the open field with 5 & 10.

One thing of note, the field wasn't mowed, you couldn't see the players cleats, the grass was thick and 6"+ high. I believe this had some effect during the game.

SJP needs to play better and seemed lethargic. If that continues, they are vulnerable. The bye hangover also may play a role, not sure.

Agree with Roxy that SJP was off, but Roman came to play. Great special teams play to start the game and take a possession from SJP. That 10 kid is as quick as I've seen, and Roman D line did a good job all night. Prep O line was down a starter, but still... Swift was used almost entirely in the slot. That may or may not be as a decoy - Waller (32) is also a stud and would be the man just about anywhere else. Bye week blues seemed real for SJP. Slow start and rusty with lots of penalties. Kudos to Roman for their game plan, effort and fight. As for the field conditions, I don't put much stock in that as it is the same for both sides. But reports were as stated above, not great and the sod was 'lumpy'. However, it was nice as a football fan to see actual dirt and grass stains on the uniforms with so many games on turf these days.

Either Swift is hurt or he is the most under utilized big time player I have ever seen . I have been waiting for him to light it up .
I have to admit if that if the most Swift can do, four weeks after the injury against Bosco, is act as a decoy, I have a hard time thinking he's going to be fully recovered in the next four weeks or more.

Tulla,
Even talented teams can be un-focused despite the finest of coaching, after all, they are teenagers.
My sense is this team since the Wood game has been looking ahead to the "revenge" LS game. There is enough talent and fortitude on this team that not playing their A-game will still get them by this part of their schedule.

Huck previously asked the question on another thread, 'Where do I read about Prep's waltz onto the State Championship' (paraphrasing)..
Idk??..... but if this team is healthy and focused, what opponent state-wide in 6A would be favored against them?

Understood with the grass, it slowed both teams. Slowing team speed down affects different dynamics of each team. It was high. Hone team preferred those conditions.

I have only seen Swift vs Wood and that was a brief performance. Having seen him over the years though the kid is going to Georgia for a reason. It will be interesting to see how he does come playoff time.

As for the Roman QB I saw him vs Neshaminy and thought he was off. He forced throws when he could have ran for five yards, was very slow on his reads, and threw an awful interception that cost them the game. 10 and 5 were the fastest kids on field for Roman and the QB couldn't do much vs a cover 3 D. I find it interesting that Roman lost to Prep 22-10 and Neshaminy 28-20. I feel it will be the winner of Penn/Neshaminy vs Prep representing the East in the first 6A title.

Prep is a nice team, always well coached but after seeing the Wood game and hearing from everyone how they didn't play well vs roman, i would say there is a team that can beat them and it's North Penn. Saw NP beat my Rams team and watched them today vs a very tough East squad. NP continues to get better and right now i would rank them as my #1 choice to represent the East in big division. Best QB Ive seen in years....much better than Russo from Wood as he can run. Receivers and skill players everywhere. My opinion only for what its worth

I was in attendance and felt swift wasn't utilized like I thought he would be. Roman won up front to me last night. If Roman qb woulda connected with wide open WRs this game could've been much closer. I seen #9 run uncovered 2 plays in a row and missed throws to #10 a couple times. It looks like they're telling him where to go with the ball rather than him reading it. He took a step back since I seen him against neshaminy. Prep had most of their success in the air though. Not sure why Roman went with moving their senior cb to safety......causing young cb in #12 to match up with probably the best wr in area (my opinion). Prep took advantage of that when they could.

Prep is a nice team, always well coached but after seeing the Wood game and hearing from everyone how they didn't play well vs roman, i would say there is a team that can beat them and it's North Penn. Saw NP beat my Rams team and watched them today vs a very tough East squad. NP continues to get better and right now i would rank them as my #1 choice to represent the East in big division. Best QB Ive seen in years....much better than Russo from Wood as he can run. Receivers and skill players everywhere. My opinion only for what its worth
I watched the Prep's first three games via livestream and listened to the next two. For much of the first two games they looked really good on both sides of the ball--certainly better than the '13 and '14 state championship teams were at that point in the season. They also looked really good for short periods against Wood. Carroll was a big mismatch, so I don't think anything can be taken from that game. By all accounts, last night was a step or two back.

Who's hurt on the Prep O-Line? Sounds like the whole group got pushed around last night. Bad memories of last year's championship game. Did Roman do something the Prep wasn't prepared for or were they just quicker and stronger?

Swift must be nowhere near 100% since he had no rushes and only a couple of passes thrown his way. From what I gathered, he wasn't out to return kickoffs and punts either, something he does better than anyone else when he's healthy. So what's the story?

Last year the Prep played a bad game (against Malvern) after the bye week. Looking forward to much better performances in the next few weeks--with or without Swift.

North Penn is playing great football as is Neshaminy and Coatsville in the East and PCC in the West. The Prep had better get it together or they wont be in the finals .

I was in attendance and felt swift wasn't utilized like I thought he would be. Roman won up front to me last night. If Roman qb woulda connected with wide open WRs this game could've been much closer. I seen #9 run uncovered 2 plays in a row and missed throws to #10 a couple times. It looks like they're telling him where to go with the ball rather than him reading it. He took a step back since I seen him against neshaminy. Prep had most of their success in the air though. Not sure why Roman went with moving their senior cb to safety......causing young cb in #12 to match up with probably the best wr in area (my opinion). Prep took advantage of that when they could.

12 played 1 snap on defense last night.
If you noticed 18 is playing corner and 2 has moved to safety. 18 left the game in the 2nd with an injury last night forcing 10 to play some corner and play both ways. 12 was in for 1 play the entire game last night and it just so happened to be a play that the prep took a shot and went deep.

Last edited:
Swift was a decoy all night an was non effective. My opinion Roman played well an held prep to 1 TD in 2nd half and only 22pts total. Either prep was playing down or there not as good as what people say without Swift involved. Roman had a lot of open receivers all night and the QB wasn't close in finding them if he was accurate that game is closer. I was impressed by #8 & #10 for Roman, very good players. Prep Plays like that vs LaSalle they might not come out with a W[/QUOTE

I would worry about Roman from what I saw with lasalle against Carroll.....

12 played 1 snap on defense last night.
If you noticed 18 is playing corner and 2 has moved to safety. 18 left the game in the 2nd with an injury last night forcing 10 to play some corner and play both ways. 12 was in for 1 play the entire game last night and it just so happened to be a play that the prep took a shot and went deep.
Yes I seen they switched corners around a bunch. Where's #8 playing? He did a bunch of tackling against neshaminy.

North Penn is playing great football as is Neshaminy and Coatsville in the East and PCC in the West. The Prep had better get it together or they wont be in the finals .
I certainly hope the Prep is not just assuming they'll waltz through the PCL playoffs. Certainly their chances of going far are a lot better is Swift is healthy, and I think they could be competitive with anybody even without Swift. But no game, including next week's, is a given.

Reactions: yesman3
Ramgreen, your comparison of Russo and np Qb is crazy talk. Russo finished second in elite 11 finals, there is no comparison . With that being said, having nice year for pass happy knights who also struggled this week on letdown or its not Friday night lights Saturday. Perk valley, coatesville, neshaminy and np probably your final 4 in district one. Wide open ball game. But until coatesville and neshaminy can finally beat np, I'm going np. Coatesville had the studs 4 years ago and np whacked em 31-0 at coatesville. Nesh 28-0 loser last year to np in district semis. All these teams have weaknesses, beck exposes them the best.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Swift was a decoy all night an was non effective. My opinion Roman played well an held prep to 1 TD in 2nd half and only 22pts total. Either prep was playing down or there not as good as what people say without Swift involved. Roman had a lot of open receivers all night and the QB wasn't close in finding them if he was accurate that game is closer. I was impressed by #8 & #10 for Roman, very good players. Prep Plays like that vs LaSalle they might not come out with a W
Why use a player in a game you are gone to win regardless. Running it up against PCL teams just increases complaints by them. He will be fresh when they play Parkland, NP, Nesh. in the 2nd season.

Oh so your already putting them in States? Interesting. I hope LaSalle beats them cause they are more then capable

00Shoe is not coming from a Prep perspective. I haven't seen or heard any evidence that the Prep is taking the PCL championship for granted. Hard to say they played Swift to run up the score when they had only a five point lead till the last minute of the first half.

coverandstop...I'm not comparing Elite 11 bs camps. This is high school football where guys are trying to tackle you and russo doesn't move anywhere near like the NP QB does. Russo was straight pocket guy while Np QB is moving at all times. Both are very good but my choice goes to the NP guy.

Cover, u are clueless! I've been a ref for 28 years and watching for 40 years and There are many great QB's in high school that are maybe an inch too short but can bring both passing and running which is a much more dangerous QB than a guy with a strong arm who can't move. Another example was The QB, Stover from UD who was IMO a much better high school QB than the Wood guy but just not big enough

Last edited:
Cover, u are clueless! I've been a ref for 28 years and watching for 40 years and There are many great QB's in high school that are maybe an inch too short but can bring both passing and running which is a much more dangerous QB than a guy with a strong arm who can't move. Another example was The QB, Stover from UD who was IMO a much better high school QB than the Wood guy but just not big enough enough
Wait ... is this Pete Morelli? That could explain most of this.

Cover, u are clueless! I've been a ref for 28 years and watching for 40 years and There are many great QB's in high school that are maybe an inch too short but can bring both passing and running which is a much more dangerous QB than a guy with a strong arm who can't move. Another example was The QB, Stover from UD who was IMO a much better high school QB than the Wood guy but just not big enough enough

Not sure what you consider big enough for QB.. last year both stover and russo were listed at 6'4" about 210ish each

If you have been a ref for 28 years watching the QBs vs the game it explains why there are so many bad calls...do I think the NP kid is a good QB.. absolutely.. Do I think he belongs in the company below that is made up of the elite 11.. not really.. I hear he is a great teammate and a good kid.. nice player to watch.. but realistically I don't think he is the elite level..

1. Shane Buechele, Arlington Lamar (Texas) — verbally committed to Texas

2. Jarrett Guarantano, Bergen Catholic (N.J.) — verbally committed to Tennessee

3. K.J. Costello, Santa Margarita (Calif.) — verbally committed to Stanford

4. Jacob Eason, Lake Stevens (Wash.) — verbally committed to Georgia

5. Anthony Russo, Archbishop Wood (Pa.) — verbally committed to Rutgers

6. Nick Starkel, Liberty Christian (Texas) — verbally committed to Oklahoma State

7. Brandon Peters, Avon (Ind.) — verbally committed to Michigan

8. Shea Patterson, Calvary Baptist (La.)— verbally committed to Mississippi

9. Messiah deWeaver, Wayne (Ohio) — verbally committed to Michigan State

10. Dwayne Haskins, The Bullis School (Md.) — verbally committed to Maryland

Patrick O'Brien, San Juan Hills (Calif.) — verbally committed to Nebraska

Jett Duffey, Lake Ridge (Texas) — verbally committed to Texas Tech

Feleipe' Franks, Wakulla (Fla.) — verbally committed to LSU

Malik Henry, N/A — verbally committed to Florida State

Brandon McIlwain, Council Rock North (Pa.) — verbally committed to South Carolina

Last edited:
Back to Swift and SJP.

I listened to the game last night. It seemed Swift was in and out and was thrown to three times: once for a short gain, once for a TD, and once when he missed a ball the announcers thought he should have caught. But no rushing attempts. Can anyone who was there report on how he looked--how near or far from normal? Also, any other injuries?

I was there. My sense is that his ankle isn't where it needs to be for them to use him carrying the ball. Possibly, this week vs LaSalle. He was used sporadically and only in the slot. Didn't notice a limp or anything, but not sure he had a full supply of the explosiveness he typically has. The TD was a blown coverage and there wasn't a defender within 15 yards of him. Not sure he should has the other one. I recall it being slightly overthrown. However he was open and that would've been another TD has they connected.

I was there. My sense is that his ankle isn't where it needs to be for them to use him carrying the ball. Possibly, this week vs LaSalle. He was used sporadically and only in the slot. Didn't notice a limp or anything, but not sure he had a full supply of the explosiveness he typically has. The TD was a blown coverage and there wasn't a defender within 15 yards of him. Not sure he should has the other one. I recall it being slightly overthrown. However he was open and that would've been another TD has they connected.
Thanks, Huck. You'd think if it's just the ankle that's injured that running inside would be no harder or riskier than playing in the slot. I really hope he's pretty much back to normal by the playoffs. There's no by week this year for the PCL 6A teams after the regular season, is there?

Will Kidd-Jackson be back next week? I'd love to see them win the week after at O'Hara.

Thanks, Huck. You'd think if it's just the ankle that's injured that running inside would be no harder or riskier than playing in the slot. I really hope he's pretty much back to normal by the playoffs. There's no by week this year for the PCL 6A teams after the regular season, is there?

Will Kidd-Jackson be back next week? I'd love to see them win the week after at O'Hara.

Tulla, not sure if DKJ will be back. I don't think the injury is serious, but he's been up and down recently. The ability is there, but he's pressing and not playing a relaxed game. Needs to have more fun. Mirabile is 17-21 in basically 3 1/2 quarters over the last two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT