ADVERTISEMENT

SJP Next Year

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
I can't remember seeing Myles Talley in last night's game. Did he play? I expected he'd be a major part of the defense this year. Maybe he was dealing with an injury.

The Prep returns a great deal on offense next year: most of the line, both running backs and a number of receivers. Duell should be fine as QB. The big question mark on defense will be the line. Will they try to have some guys go both ways?

I can't remember seeing Myles Talley in last night's game. Did he play? I expected he'd be a major part of the defense this year. Maybe he was dealing with an injury.

The Prep returns a great deal on offense next year: most of the line, both running backs and a number of receivers. Duell should be fine as QB. The big question mark on defense will be the line. Will they try to have some guys go both ways?
Duell may not be the QB.

You think McCord might be?

I wouldn’t put it any higher than 50/50 and that might be high. My sense is that the freshman has the higher upside and from limited observations possesses the “look.” I think Duell can be pretty good, too. Again, based on limited observations. The Hawks have a tough decision ahead of them. I’ll be curious to see if they split time to keep both happy. However, if the younger of the two gets the nod, then I could envision the other looking for another situation.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
As far as next year...

SJP suffered a season-injury to a sr. OL very early this year, so that allowed them to play with four underclassmen up front this year. I think three are sophomores. That's a good place to start. The Qb position should be in capable hands after some growing pains early. The return Burrell and Mason in the backfield. That's a good 1-2 punch. I could see Burrell grabbing more of the PT next year, but I think Mason has a good skill set as a multi-purpose type player; getting carries and playing some slot. Maybe, the freshman RB Nobel House makes a move up the the depth chart. They'll lose Sanders and Cherry, but Freeman will be back and I expect big things from soph. Anthony Rightly. Maybe, the kid Whitmore takes over for Cherry; similar build and skill set, I think. Rightly could be a really good pass-catching TE down the line. I see him topping off in the 6'4", 220+ range when it's all said and done. Shamir Hagans was a freshman that dressed varsity this year and saw some action. I could see him stepping up. Anytime a freshman plays up for SJP you'd have to think they have high hopes for them down the line.

Defensively, they will lose plethora of quality seniors. The entire DL moves on. That will be the area they need to develop the most and the quickest. I see Anthony Leneghan moving to that area. Strong looking kid. SJP doesn't employ too many two-way players, but I'd consider Rightly for this role without hesitation. I think you could probably plug in him at DE. He was their leading tackler on special teams, so a nose for the ball exists. He's rangy and athletic. They're going to lose some quality LB's in O'Connor, underrated Cobaugh, and Snyder (Hurt a lot of the year after a strong start to the season), but I think they are ok at that position with the likes of Johnson, Trotter, Bikah is a kid I like, and Cooper Kim, maybe a DE candidate. Bougess returns to secondary and Talley will probably grab a safety spot I'm thinking has experience. Tho, he made more of an impact as a sophomore than this past year. I think injuries may have played a part.

In the end, there is a lot in place to pick-up where they left off.

I don't know much about them, but with 4 OL coming back and a good TB, they are going to be strong. P-R went through the process of having 3 sophomore OL last year and it was rough. That experience will pay off in the future.

I wouldn’t put it any higher than 50/50 and that might be high. My sense is that the freshman has the higher upside and from limited observations possesses the “look.” I think Duell can be pretty good, too. Again, based on limited observations. The Hawks have a tough decision ahead of them. I’ll be curious to see if they split time to keep both happy. However, if the younger of the two gets the nod, then I could envision the other looking for another situation.
You think McCord might be?

I think you will see the younger kid out there. He's already has a D1 offer and looks like a lot more to come. Plus he's already 6'3" 190 lbs in 9th grade. I found this article on him...

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...s-off-career-ar-st-joseph-prep-with-an-offer/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT