ADVERTISEMENT

SJP-Freedom

Freedom is a nice high school football team. Disciplined, take care of the football, always win the turnover battle (they've been great at taking the football away under Jason Roeder). Quarterback throws a nice ball and is very accurate. Smart kid who makes good decisions. Defensively, run a 3-3-5 stack and scheme very well. They're big up front on both offense and defense (offensive line goes 305-275-310-250-265 and the defensive line is 305-255-225 with linebackers that are 225-220-210). I'll write up a more complete personnel review later in the week.

With all that said, the talent gap between Freedom and SJP is just enormous. Figure the Hawks have have Power 5 type players in McCord, Harrison, Trotter, Burrell, maybe Lombardi, and will probably send Talley, Freeman, Sutton, Mason, Stephenson, Johnson, McGeary, and Kim to Group of 5 or FCS schools (that's 13 of 22 starters). In comparison, Freedom has linebacker Tristan Wheeler going to Richmond, with RB/LB Jalen Stewart, QB Jared Jenkins, and LT/DE Kaden Moore possible Group of 5 or high level FCS players. Maybe Moore with his size gets a shot at a bigger program. Probably will send a couple other kids to Division II or Division III schools. I don't think Prep has anybody who goes both ways, Freedom has six two way starters.

Frankly, I'm not sure who Freedom has that would start at Prep - maybe Kaden Moore at defensive end? Wheeler would play at linebacker, but he's at the same level as Talley, Johnson, Trotter, and Kim. And in our league, he's the Defensive Player of the Year. Freedom also doesn't have the high level skill guys to move the ball against SJP. The strength of the team is their offensive line, but they're not going to win every battle up front against a great SJP defense, and even if their guys get to the second left, they're not the athletes who can break away from the SJP back seven. Defensively, I think they can make SJP work for their yards, but any breakdown is going to be a huge play with the skill guys that Prep has and how McCord can exploit those match ups.

The EPC South all conference team would give Prep a game - none of our teams will for the foreseeable future.

SJP is the only private school left in the 6A bracket.
Wood is the only one left in the 5A bracket.
The 4A bracket has 4 left: BeCaHi, Berks, ECP, & HBG McDevitt.
Scranton Prep & Conwell-Egan are the only left in 3A.
West & York Catholic are the privates left in 2A.
Sacred Heart is the only one left in 1A.

11 of 45 schools. Wow. 24%. What a massive problem! LOL

Forgot Imhotep in 4A. Also, looking at it from a different angle. If LaSalle and even Ryan were not under Prep and Wood respectively, my money says they're good enough to still be alive in a different bracket set-up, just saying.

Reactions: jswigand
SJP is the only private school left in the 6A bracket.
Wood is the only one left in the 5A bracket.
The 4A bracket has 4 left: BeCaHi, Berks, ECP, & HBG McDevitt.
Scranton Prep & Conwell-Egan are the only left in 3A.
West & York Catholic are the privates left in 2A.
Sacred Heart is the only one left in 1A.

11 of 45 schools. Wow. 24%. What a massive problem! LOL

At thIs point, it is only possible for 2 private school teams to be left in 6A. The PCL winner and if PCC wins D7. There are no private schools in 6A in any time other district.

Wood is the only private school in all of 5A.

In 4A, only Bishop Shanahan and the PCL winner are not left. Every other spot that could be filled by a private school is.

In 3A, only two of five possible private school spots are filled with North Catholic, Mercyhurst Prep, and Lancaster Catholic all out.

In 2A, the only other possible private school left would be Seton LaSalle. There are no private schools in any other district.

In 1A, there are private schools in D2, D6, D9, and D11 that are all knocked out.

So the actual numbers are:
6A: 1 of 2
5A: 1 of 1
4A: 4 of 6
3A: 2 of 5
2A: 2 of 3
1A: 1 of 5

Private schools are in 11 of 22 possible games left at this point (50%) and 6 of 9 (67%) in the three largest classifications.

At thIs point, it is only possible for 2 private school teams to be left in 6A. The PCL winner and if PCC wins D7. There are no private schools in 6A in any time other district.

In 4A, only Bishop Shanahan and the PCL winner are not left. Every other spot that could be filled by a private school is.

In 3A, only two of five possible private school spots are filled with North Catholic, Mercyhurst Prep, and Lancaster Catholic all out.

In 2A, the only other possible private school left would be Seton LaSalle. There are no private schools in any other district.

In 1A, there are private schools in D2, D6, D9, and D11 that are all knocked out.

Private schools are in 11 of 22 possible games left at this point (50%) and 6 of 9 (67%) in the three largest classifications.

That is suspect logic/numbers to say the least. There are 45 schools left playing football. 11 are catholic/private. It really is that simple. That argument is simply lowering the denominator to make the problem appear greater than it really is. Is it really a problem in the first place? If the schools are adhering to PIAA rules, what's the problem?

Are there are only 22 catholic schools in all of PA playing football? Because its more like 42 of these schools playing football...out of 567 schools...approx 7%. That's a low number too. How many catholic schools can even afford to field a football team? No one cared about privates/catholics until Philly came into the PIAA...where 14 of the 42 catholic schools are located. 8 more are located around Pittsburgh in District 7. The rest are located near the following urban areas:

Allentown/Bethelehem
Altoona
Erie
Harrisburg
Lancaster
Reading
Scranton
Wilkes-Barre
York

This is nothing more than a nuanced assault to force these kids to their more dangerous local public high schools. "Hey underprivileged kid...be true to your school and go to the knife-and-gun club HS where you belong." Schools are supposed to be there for the kids. Not the other way around.

Folks could live with ECP and McDevitt winning occasionally. Now with D12, its "they must be stopped".

Reactions: lilromeo
Some of those complaining about non-boundary and boundary schools competing against one another seem to want it both ways. If the boundary school wins (e.g. last year's win by P-R over SJP), they take particular satisfaction, as if David has beaten Goliath. And if the boundary school loses, it's because the non-boundary school had an unfair advantage.

Does anyone think P-R would have preferred that SJP had played in a separate "non-public" class last year and that people would still be arguing over who would have won if ...?

Reactions: ptomaselli
Some of those complaining about non-boundary and boundary schools competing against one another seem to want it both ways. If the boundary school wins (e.g. last year's win by P-R over SJP), they take particular satisfaction, as if David has beaten Goliath. And if the boundary school loses, it's because the non-boundary school had an unfair advantage.

Does anyone think P-R would have preferred that SJP had played in a separate "non-public" class last year and that people would still be arguing over who would have won if ...?
Tulla you are correct! I stated before, had the opportunity to hear Coach K from PR speak, he basically made it out to be David versus Goliath. He also stated how we send 8 guys to D1 every year. Of course never mentioned his QB.

Freedom is a nice high school football team. Disciplined, take care of the football, always win the turnover battle (they've been great at taking the football away under Jason Roeder). Quarterback throws a nice ball and is very accurate. Smart kid who makes good decisions. Defensively, run a 3-3-5 stack and scheme very well. They're big up front on both offense and defense (offensive line goes 305-275-310-250-265 and the defensive line is 305-255-225 with linebackers that are 225-220-210). I'll write up a more complete personnel review later in the week.

With all that said, the talent gap between Freedom and SJP is just enormous. Figure the Hawks have have Power 5 type players in McCord, Harrison, Trotter, Burrell, maybe Lombardi, and will probably send Talley, Freeman, Sutton, Mason, Stephenson, Johnson, McGeary, and Kim to Group of 5 or FCS schools (that's 13 of 22 starters). In comparison, Freedom has linebacker Tristan Wheeler going to Richmond, with RB/LB Jalen Stewart, QB Jared Jenkins, and LT/DE Kaden Moore possible Group of 5 or high level FCS players. Maybe Moore with his size gets a shot at a bigger program. Probably will send a couple other kids to Division II or Division III schools. I don't think Prep has anybody who goes both ways, Freedom has six two way starters.

Frankly, I'm not sure who Freedom has that would start at Prep - maybe Kaden Moore at defensive end? Wheeler would play at linebacker, but he's at the same level as Talley, Johnson, Trotter, and Kim. And in our league, he's the Defensive Player of the Year. Freedom also doesn't have the high level skill guys to move the ball against SJP. The strength of the team is their offensive line, but they're not going to win every battle up front against a great SJP defense, and even if their guys get to the second left, they're not the athletes who can break away from the SJP back seven. Defensively, I think they can make SJP work for their yards, but any breakdown is going to be a huge play with the skill guys that Prep has and how McCord can exploit those match ups.

The EPC South all conference team would give Prep a game - none of our teams will for the foreseeable future.
Rover I'd say the lines for Freedom are bigger than Prep's lines. Freedom is coached very well. If they are not intimidated, they can play with SJP.

I don't think there really is an issue with 6A. We've seen some great games over the years involving the PCL vs D1, D7, and even D11. Let's go back to 2003. To this day we all still would have liked to see North Penn play St Joe Prep. Two top 10 teams nationally separated by 25 miles. Hopefully we get the CV-SJP matchup everyone is anticipating this year.

Wood is a local team and I root for them at the state level. The problem is their games are not remotely competitive. They've crushed everyone in 5A (3A before) for several years now. Who wants to consistently see mercy rules in state quarters, semis, etc?

I think P-R definitely wanted to play SJP last year. That P-R team will end up having 3 P5, 1 G5, 1 FCS, and maybe 2 D2 kids. I think the rub is that out here we feel like that was a once-in-a-generation team and teams like SJP have those sorts of teams every year. Now, in 2014, P-R probably should have also beaten SJP if they had any kind of defense at all. And that P-R team only had much less talent than 2017. Still a great team, but you know what I mean.

I don't think its quite a level playing field, but do believe that great coaching and scheme can help level it a lot more than people think.

Its not the quantity of non boundary schools competing overall, but the number of quality non boundary schools that appears to be the issue. At last count, there were 583 schools in the PIAA, with 40 noted as charter schools and 144 as private. So thats 184 of 583 , or about %31. The numbers may be off by a bit for football because some of the 583 may not field teams, or may be all girls enrollment.

So if you just use %33 , you would expect that number across the board in all sports at all levels. And PT is correct, right now the number at %24 would not be a massive problem. But the quality of the non boundary schools wilL rise, so will the overall percentages. You could have 9 of 24 left in the semis, and 7 of 12 playing in the finals, with 3 or 4 overall champs out of 6. Once the number approaches %50, the boundary schools, especially in the middle of the state, start to get antsy.

Don’t want to lose players to non boundary? Speaking strictly from a football standpoint, hire better coaches who kids and families actually trust, instead of passing legislation and letting the dictator control someone’s life and future.

Last edited:
First, here's my data and mathematical point:

Because brackets are regional, there are only so many spots that can have private schools in them. Just providing the raw numbers doesn't take that in to account. So when you say "Wood is the only private school left in 5A", while true, it doesn't take in to account the fact that at this point in the bracket, Wood is the only possible private school in the 5A bracket because all of the private schools in 5A are in District 12. The other seven spots in the bracket cannot be private schools because there are no private schools playing 5A football in D1, D2, D3, D6, D7, D10, or D11.

I'm on a computer, not my phone, so I cross checked all of the brackets and teams in each classification and this is how they lay out. My numbers were a little off in my first post. Here is me showing my work.

The 6A Bracket has the following teams in quarters (2 of 8 can be nonboundary)
D3 Finalist (all public schools in D3)
D1 Finalist (all public schools in D1)
D2/4/6/10 Winner (all public schools in D2/4/6/10)
D7 Winner (Pittsburgh Central Catholic or public school)
D12 Winner (St. Joseph's Prep, LaSalle, Father Judge, Roman Catholic, Olney Charter or public school)
1 of 2 possible spots

The 5A Bracket has the following teams in quarters (1 of 8 can be nonboundary)
D2/6/10/11 Winner (all public schools in D2/6/10 and 11)
D12 Winner (Archbishop Wood, Archbishop Ryan, Palumbo, Simon Gratz, Pickett or public school)
D7 Finalist (all public schools in D7)
1 of 1 possible spots

The 4A Bracket has the following teams in quarters (6 of 8 can be nonboundary)
D2 Winner (all public schools in D2)
D12 Winner (Archbishop Carroll, Cardinal O'Hara, Monsignor Bonner, Boys Latin, Imhotep or public school)
D11 Winner (ACC, Becahi, or public school)
D1/4 Winner (Bishop Shanahan or public school)
D3 Finalist (Bishop McDevitt or Berks Catholic or public school)
D3 Finalist (Bishop McDevitt or Berks Catholic or public school)
D9/10 Champ (Erie Cathedral Prep or public school)
5 of 6 possible spots

The 3A Bracket has the following teams in quarters (5 of 8 can be nonboundary)
D3 Winner (Lancaster Catholic or public school)
D1/11/12 Winner (Bishop Shanahan, Conwell-Egan, Lansdale Catholic, Neuman-Gorretti, Notre Dame (GP) or public school)
D2 Winner (Scranton Prep, Holy Redeemer, or public school)
D4 Winner (all public schools in D4)
D5/6 Winner (all public schools in D5/6)
D10 Winner (Mercyhurst Prep or public school)
D7 Finalist (North Catholic or public school)
D7 Finalist (all public schools because North can't play itself)
2 of 5 possible spots

The 2A Bracket has the following teams in quarters (5 of 8 can be nonboundary)
D6 Winner (Bishop Carroll or public school)
D2/12 Winner (Bishop McDevitt, West Catholic, or public school)
D4 Winner (all public schools in D4)
D3 Winner (Delone Catholic, York Catholic, Trinity, or public school)
D7 Finalist (Serra Catholic, Seton-LaSalle, Shady Side Academy, or public school)
D7 Finalist (Serra Catholic, Seton-LaSalle, Shady Side Academy, or public school)
D9 Winner (all public schools in D9)
D5/10 Winner (all public schools in D5/10)
2 of 5 possible spots

The 1A Bracket has the following teams in quarters (6 of 8 can be nonboundary)
D2/11 Winner (Marian Catholic, Nativity BVM, or public school)
D3 Winner (all public schools in D3)
D6 Finalist (Bishop Guilfoyle, Bishop McCort, or public school)
D6 Finalist (Bishop Guilfoyle, Bishop McCort, or public school)
D10 Winner (all public schools in D10)
D9 Winner (Elk County Catholic or public school)
D7 Finalist (Bishop Canevin, Greensburg Central Catholic, Imani Christian Academy, Scared Heart, Vinecian Academy or public school)
D7 Finalist (Bishop Canevin, Greensburg Central Catholic, Imani Christian Academy, Scared Heart, Vinecian Academy or public school)
1 of 6 possible spots

I’m in Relayer’s camp. Who cares, 6a has been competitive and hopefully we see Coatesville Prep in final as it was a hell of a game last year and most likely could be again. Wood should really move up as it’s not exactly challenging them and not fun to watch.

Second, here is me responding to your points

That is suspect logic/numbers to say the least. There are 45 schools left playing football. 11 are catholic/private. It really is that simple. That argument is simply lowering the denominator to make the problem appear greater than it really is. Is it really a problem in the first place? If the schools are adhering to PIAA rules, what's the problem?

See my last post for the way the brackets actually lay out. Yes, it's accurate to say only 11 catholic/private schools are left playing football out of the 45 teams. But it's also impossible for all 45 of those spots to be filled by private/catholic schools. I just pointed out how many actually could be private/catholic and how many are. Both of our data is true, but I think mine paints a more accurate picture. Feel free to disagree, but that's my logic.

Additionally, where did I say in my first post that there was a problem? I said that SJP has WAAAAY more talent than Freedom and I don't think it will be a competitive game. Am I wrong? MC1975 asked how they matched up. I think all the analysis you need is there are probably 15 scholarship football players in SJP's starting lineup, with 5 probably going to play major college football and Freedom has 4 scholarship football players on the roster, with maybe 1 going to play major college football. SJP is a lot better. And I think they've left D11 in the dust, is that an inaccurate assessment?

No one cared about privates/catholics until Philly came into the PIAA

The Lehigh Valley has blown up three conferences over private/catholic recruiting before Philly ever came to the PIAA. It has been a huge issue here going back to at least the mid 1980s. District 10 has also had incredible turmoil over Erie Cathedral Prep. I don't know D7 or D3 well enough to know the history of how the PCC's and Bishop McDevitts of the world have rankled other schools - but to say that this is an issue that didn't crop up until 2008 shows a total lack of understanding of history.

This is nothing more than a nuanced assault to force these kids to their more dangerous local public high schools. "Hey underprivileged kid...be true to your school and go to the knife-and-gun club HS where you belong." Schools are supposed to be there for the kids. Not the other way around.

I am very thankful that Marvin Harrison Jr. was able to transfer out of the gun and knife club HS he attended last year for the relative safety provided by St. Joseph's Prep.

But seriously, Kids can go wherever they want - I don't begrude them their choice of schools. I coached in Massachusetts for a number of years at a junior high for a big, urban public school. I sent the best athlete I've ever had to St. John's Prep in Danvers (like going to SJP) rather than our high school. It was a tremendous opportunity for the kid and he was right to go there. But those kind of schools should be loaded every year. Because their rosters are handpicked, they are immune to cycles, unlike public schools. So I get the frustration when a schools once in a generation team hits a private school that has a standing date in the state finals every year.

Rover I'd say the lines for Freedom are bigger than Prep's lines. Freedom is coached very well. If they are not intimidated, they can play with SJP.

Actually talking about football. I think the line can do okay. But I think there is a real mismatch at the skill positions. I don’t see SJP ramming it down Freedom’s throat, but I do think they’ll hit on some big plays that I don’t think Freedom can stop.

Put it this way, the only time D11 has won this game is 2015. I don’t think this Freedom team is as close to as good as that Parkland team, and I think this SJP team is better than that LaSalle team.

Don’t want to lose players to non boundary? Speaking strictly from a football standpoint, hire better coaches who kids and families actually trust, instead of passing legislation and letting the dictator control someone’s life and future.

There is some real truth here. The disparity in coaching and commitment level can be stark. Even amongst the boundary schools.

Some public schools that are committed have 15 assistants (including volunteers) and go out and get the best possible guys they can find. Other schools act like it’s 1991 and have 6 coaches based upon who is a science teacher.

Finding good assistants is hard. If the program is run correctly it’s huge time commitment. Want to know you are looking at top notch program, go to practice on Tuesday afternoon and count how many coaches are at practice. Is it equal to the amount of guys running around in the gear on Friday night.

Also look up in the booth on game day. How many guys up there? Is it one or two guys. Then what you have is a bunch of alums, teachers, buddies etc who are essentially game day cheerleaders dressed up in coaching costume. Can’t coach a football team twice a week.

My observation is their are still ADs who think 85 man football team can be coached by 5 people and don’t want volunteers due to liability. Secondarily a lot of volunteers either aren’t knowledgeable, aren’t available enough or aren’t committed enough. Very difficult but how good a program becomes is directly correlated to how good the staff is from head coach to last assistant.

100% agree with Green on this one. It is all about level of commitment from the school, the coaches, alumni, parents and everyone involved. There are a good number of programs in this area that coaches I know consider gold mines if the right guy gets the job with the right support. Then there are other programs that are more than maximizing their potential.

Reactions: Concretechuck
100% agree with Green on this one. It is all about level of commitment from the school, the coaches, alumni, parents and everyone involved. There are a good number of programs in this area that coaches I know consider gold mines if the right guy gets the job with the right support. Then there are other programs that are more than maximizing their potential.

That’s what has happened at Emmaus. Huge school, fantastic overall athletic program, no football success to speak of in school history. Hired Harold Fairclough three years ago (coach of the 2010 ACC state title team with Nosovitch) who is an elite head coach, who brought with him assistants Sam Seneca (Three time state champ DC at ACC and Liberty), Matt Seneca (former Penn State QB, state champ OC at Liberty) Matt Cohen (FCS all American linebscker at Lehigh) and a number of other high profile guys. They’ve had two 10 win seasons in his three years and are knocking on the door to break through and win a D11 title.

Liberty was like that for years too. When Stem resigned at Becahi and that program took a step back, and Moncman got things cranked up, they went to 3 state title games in 4 years.

Are we actually saying that Harrison Jr . , son of a hall of fame receiver , is living in an area where the local public school is a gun and knife club school ?

Are we actually saying that Harrison Jr . , son of a hall of fame receiver , is living in an area where the local public school is a gun and knife club school ?

No, the joke was that he was able to transfer out of LaSalle to SJP for the safety improvement. But yes, I’m sure his home district is also well resourced.

Second, here is me responding to your points

See my last post for the way the brackets actually lay out. Yes, it's accurate to say only 11 catholic/private schools are left playing football out of the 45 teams. But it's also impossible for all 45 of those spots to be filled by private/catholic schools. I just pointed out how many actually could be private/catholic and how many are. Both of our data is true, but I think mine paints a more accurate picture. Feel free to disagree, but that's my logic.

Additionally, where did I say in my first post that there was a problem? I said that SJP has WAAAAY more talent than Freedom and I don't think it will be a competitive game. Am I wrong? MC1975 asked how they matched up. I think all the analysis you need is there are probably 15 scholarship football players in SJP's starting lineup, with 5 probably going to play major college football and Freedom has 4 scholarship football players on the roster, with maybe 1 going to play major college football. SJP is a lot better. And I think they've left D11 in the dust, is that an inaccurate assessment?

The Lehigh Valley has blown up three conferences over private/catholic recruiting before Philly ever came to the PIAA. It has been a huge issue here going back to at least the mid 1980s. District 10 has also had incredible turmoil over Erie Cathedral Prep. I don't know D7 or D3 well enough to know the history of how the PCC's and Bishop McDevitts of the world have rankled other schools - but to say that this is an issue that didn't crop up until 2008 shows a total lack of understanding of history.

I am very thankful that Marvin Harrison Jr. was able to transfer out of the gun and knife club HS he attended last year for the relative safety provided by St. Joseph's Prep.

But seriously, Kids can go wherever they want - I don't begrude them their choice of schools. I coached in Massachusetts for a number of years at a junior high for a big, urban public school. I sent the best athlete I've ever had to St. John's Prep in Danvers (like going to SJP) rather than our high school. It was a tremendous opportunity for the kid and he was right to go there. But those kind of schools should be loaded every year. Because their rosters are handpicked, they are immune to cycles, unlike public schools. So I get the frustration when a schools once in a generation team hits a private school that has a standing date in the state finals every year.

There's a problem with comparing talent at the high school level in terms of where players will play--or are expected to play--in college or whether they have scholarship offers, Lots of excellent high school players get little or no interest from major colleges because of their size. Last year, for instance, Ryan Bryce got lots of D1 attention--and wound up going to Army--while Raysheed Wallace, who was probably a better defensive lineman, got no D1 attention (as far as I know). And I bet that if Myles Talley were two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, he'd have a pocketfull of D1 offers by now.

This might seem I'm trying to argue that SJP is even more talented than they're perceived to be, but what I'm really suggesting is that a high school's team's talent and its quality as a team shouldn't be assessed only or even mainly on the basis of what college offers the players have.

Tulls - I know it’s not perfect, but the best proxy I can have for talent. It’s absolutely not perfect on a player to player basis (the Wallace-Bryce example) but I think tells a story in the aggregate about overall team talent.

And I’m including Talley in my guys who I’d expect at an FCS program in the fall. That’s part of the reason I couch that as Division I and not just major programs - kids that end up at Patriot League or CAA programs are usually also dominant high school plsyers too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT