ADVERTISEMENT

Sjp article and controversy

Let’s not forget about the transfer portal 😂😂 transfers show up on their door step each year and with a large class leaving I don’t see any different this off season. When you play that early season schedule, espn games, and the number of guys they’ve put out over the years you get not only the guys who aspire to play at the next level but the good guys at that. How could you blame them?
Last offseason brought in 2 power 5 players. One on each side of the ball.
According to max prep they return 6 players on defense 4 of which are p5 guys. Offense returns 3 players, 2 of which are p5 guys. Like someone mentioned earlier their back ups aren’t normal. They have a freshmen qb with offers from p5 schools who never took a varsity snap. They’ve been in several lopsided wins where their back ups played most of the game. Again, I think next year will be a down year for them but PA may not feel the difference.
Doesn't that say at least a little about PA?

Yes, they've been getting two or three transfers in recent years, but, as I said, they also lose some guys to "the portal." Still, as you've noted, they are getting more guys like Smith and Stewart coming to them. I just think the whole thing needs to be looked at in a wider context.

Is this some type of sick joke? A freshman with offers? It looks like SJP has gold wrapped up until atleast 2027
Doesn't that say at least a little about PA?

Yes, they've been getting two or three transfers in recent years, but, as I said, they also lose some guys to "the portal." Still, as you've noted, they are getting more guys like Smith and Stewart coming to them. I just think the whole thing needs to be looked at in a wider context.
I agree. I can joke about it now bc I know it’s not straight forward like ppl think. Families aren’t transferring in bc they have a mediocre program. In addition to 2 first rounders in the upcoming draft, they’re pumping out prospects left and right. Sacca & Roy will be able to pick which school they’ll attend out of the college football playoffs participants.

They also had 2 four star juniors transfer in this year. One from Roman another from NJ. I get they are your alumni but you really can't see this as fair or an even playing field.
I agree it's not an even playing field. But if SJP wanted to play only teams who were on the same level, they never would have scheduled IMG (gets players from across the country, has vastly superior facilities, boards students on site, pretty much organizes everything academic to fit around the athletic schedule and requirements, etc.) twice. They also probably would not have begun playing Bosco, St. Joe's Regional, St. Frances, St. John's, Evangel, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc. when and where they did given the advantages those schools have that SJP does not have.

Our difference is partly a result of perspective, I've seen how things have developed over the last 25 years or so--and know where SJP was when it all started. So, for instance, I see being on ESPN once a year as more of a result than a cause. But I'm not blind to how and why kids on a team like Nazareth feel like they're being unfairly deprived of a chance to get to a state final and maybe win it because of how for25 years SJP has been able to build on the advantages it has. And I think the PIAA would be perfectly within its rights to make changes--as it did when it went from 4 to 6 classifications and put greater restrictions on transfers--that would make the playing field more level. They might, for instance, require all players to be residents of PA. If they do, that's the end of SJP in the PIAA (and maybe the end of the PCL in the PIAA too). But people should be clear about the reasons for the changes and the likely and possible consequences. They should also make sure of the facts, e.g. SJP has never had players from four states, has rarely had any students/players from DE, and has always had a significant number of students/players from NJ and has never hidden the fact.

I agree. I can joke about it now bc I know it’s not straight forward like ppl think. Families aren’t transferring in bc they have a mediocre program. In addition to 2 first rounders in the upcoming draft, they’re pumping out prospects left and right. Sacca & Roy will be able to pick which school they’ll attend out of the college football playoffs participants.
I too agree it's ridiculous for college to be making offers to 13 and 14 year olds. Among other things, it's not good for the kids. And it's pretty widespread. Heard's brother (who did not come to SJP when he started high school in Sept.) had lots of offers when he was in 8th grade.

I believe if sjp leaves,teams will start to compare the “what ifs” every year after that. PCC and Mt Lebo proved that others can win but if sjp is removed you’ll hear “this team could’ve challenged sjp” every year.

Is this some type of sick joke? A freshman with offers? It looks like SJP has gold wrapped up until atleast 2027
2A Trinity in Camp Hill (Mid Penn Conf) had a frosh rb offered from Tex AM last year. Quite a player, nicked this year but played. That's happening more and more. Definitely not just at SJP.

I believe if sjp leaves,teams will start to compare the “what ifs” every year after that. PCC and Mt Lebo proved that others can win but if sjp is removed you’ll hear “this team could’ve challenged sjp” every year.
I think most people would rather see competitive games with the same rules for every team.

Reactions: Fletchster1
I think most people would rather see competitive games with the same rules for every team.
I agree for now, but I also know how ppl antagonize dogs behind the fence as well. Just look at the comparisons here on the forum. We often compare good teams from the past. Thinking could 21 Lebo compete against some of the great PCC teams of before. There will be a new top dog if sjp leaves and soon you’ll hear the rumblings.

Reactions: lilromeo
I doubt people would say "we could've beat The Prep this year." Maybe 20 years ago before the PCL joined the PIAA, but not now, not after the last ten years.

Tulla, you like to point out the public schools in Florida and Georgia play Prep tough and beat them. Those public schools down there aren't boundary schools, and take in numerous transfers each year. They're recruiting public schools.

St Joes Prep would run a Proverbial train on those CBW teams
Unless you're making a statement about the current state of football vs during the CB West run, there is no objective way for you to defend this comment. West finished in the top 10 nationally 9 times during that era. The 1998 team had 12 Division 1 commits. They played (and so did many other teams back then) with a physicality / violence / pad level that virtually no one does today. And they played in two absolute classic state finals against ECP (splitting the two games) at the end of that run, another team loaded with talent, with both teams being in the top 10 nationally going into both the 1999 and 2000 final.

I doubt people would say "we could've beat The Prep this year." Maybe 20 years ago before the PCL joined the PIAA, but not now, not after the last ten years.

Tulla, you like to point out the public schools in Florida and Georgia play Prep tough and beat them. Those public schools down there aren't boundary schools, and take in numerous transfers each year. They're recruiting public schools.
Nephew went to Lakeland who recruit their butt off. About this year's team. The talent is so good in Florida they were decent (not by their standards, by mine) facing a near full rebuild (all skill) with Coach Castle, one of Florida's best ever, retiring after the 2022 season.

here's my take, and solution:
Nephew went to Lakeland who recruit their butt off. About this year's team. The talent is so good in Florida they were decent (not by their standards, by mine) facing a near full rebuild (all skill) with Coach Castle, one of Florida's best ever, retiring after the 2022 season.

-stop demonizing SJP- they do not cheat, they are great at what they do, we should be "glad they are in PA"
-let's stop trying to separate private/public, it's obviously not a huge problem in PA
-let's just try to "even the rules." Meaning, PIAA should not allow "more permissive rules" from district-to-district- ie I'm pretty sure District 7 "rules" are a lot different than District 12. Not sure that means D7 should be more "flexible" or D12 should be more "strict" but just make them more consistent
-It's the PIAA playoffs- maybe the private, non-boundary "accepts out of state kids" but to be eligible for PIAA playoffs, they have to be PA residents!?! P mean Pennsylvania!

here's my take, and solution:

-stop demonizing SJP- they do not cheat, they are great at what they do, we should be "glad they are in PA"
-let's stop trying to separate private/public, it's obviously not a huge problem in PA
-let's just try to "even the rules." Meaning, PIAA should not allow "more permissive rules" from district-to-district- ie I'm pretty sure District 7 "rules" are a lot different than District 12. Not sure that means D7 should be more "flexible" or D12 should be more "strict" but just make them more consistent
-It's the PIAA playoffs- maybe the private, non-boundary "accepts out of state kids" but to be eligible for PIAA playoffs, they have to be PA residents!?! P mean Pennsylvania!
clarification- what i am suggesting- is what if the PLAYER needs to a PA resident, for PIAA playoffs? Maybe make the playoffs / championship a little more "fair"

G-Val isn't just straight Wing anymore.
2021-1933 pass yds
2022-1397 pass yds
2023-1259 pass yds
**** It's hard arguing success beating Coatesville 54-14 in 2021 (lost to SJP 49-13), DtEast and CB West in 2022 (lost to SJP 48-7) before losing to CB West in 2023 by a point in overtime. Evidently SJP is just too high a mountain unless the staff at G-Val is considered antiquated.

But, back home, everyone flings it and have been flinging it for years. Wilson, Township, Central York, York High, Central Dauphin (still prefer to pound but can pass), McDevitt, Cedar Cliff, State, even Cumberland Valley. Thank goodness for Coach Oswalt coming over from Central York four years ago scraping the Wing-T going to the Spread.
You used to hear it was close to being a necessity at small schools trying to match up having to go with the Wing-T. Tell that to tiny Steel High and their profound passing attack setting state records and winning 4 gold medals since 2007 and going for a 5th. Rollers!
Wing T ????? Yuck

Unless you're making a statement about the current state of football vs during the CB West run, there is no objective way for you to defend this comment. West finished in the top 10 nationally 9 times during that era. The 1998 team had 12 Division 1 commits. They played (and so did many other teams back then) with a physicality / violence / pad level that virtually no one does today. And they played in two absolute classic state finals against ECP (splitting the two games) at the end of that run, another team loaded with talent, with both teams being in the top 10 nationally going into both the 1999 and 2000 final.
Believe me I’m not disrespecting those CBW teams. I hate to say it as a NA super fan, but these SJP teams would run a train on even the BEST Wpial teams, including 2012 NA. SJP is bordering on Wayne Gretzky level of dominance at the highest level. Them losing to IMG by only 3 points opened my eyes to the big picture

Reactions: d1football1
Believe me I’m not disrespecting those CBW teams. I hate to say it as a NA super fan, but these SJP teams would run a train on even the BEST Wpial teams, including 2012 NA. SJP is bordering on Wayne Gretzky level of dominance at the highest level. Them losing to IMG by only 3 points opened my eyes to the big picture
Not sure about that NA. It was a MUCH more physical game then. One of the guys mentioned that. It was more violent and a lot more fun. Like the NBA with Dr. J, the old Detroit teams and Boston muggers. Contact was allowed. Should say full contact.
Not sure the girls today could stand up to that. Half joking but only half. Some mean boys back then and NO Miller Light was served.

clarification- what i am suggesting- is what if the PLAYER needs to a PA resident, for PIAA playoffs? Maybe make the playoffs / championship a little more "fair"
Requiring that all students competing in PIAA playoffs be PA residents will knock SJP out of the PIAA. Even if there were only two or three Jersey players on the team, the school would never agree that some students be left off a team based on residency. (The transfer rule is a whole other issue.)

Some other PCL schools have had Jersey students/players but not to the same degree, and that's because historically SJP's academic reputation has drawn students from across the region since it was founded.

Of course the PIAA can make the change, and I see why people in other parts of the state might fully support it. It would, of course, mark a reversal of what the PIAA implicitly agreed to when the PCL joined.

Requiring that all students competing in PIAA playoffs be PA residents will knock SJP out of the PIAA. Even if there were only two or three Jersey players on the team, the school would never agree that some students be left off a team based on residency. (The transfer rule is a whole other issue.)

Some other PCL schools have had Jersey students/players but not to the same degree, and that's because historically SJP's academic reputation has drawn students from across the region since it was founded.

Of course the PIAA can make the change, and I see why people in other parts of the state might fully support it. It would, of course, mark a reversal of what the PIAA implicitly agreed to when the PCL joined.
Everyone knows that the prep would leave the PIAA if that rule were passed. If it werent that ,they would find some other crap to rid them. Prep got better Prep got to go Thats the mantra.
Things will never be equal in some peoples eyes. Next it will be they have too many students so to equalize things lets create another classification. LOL. If Prep begins to lose this will go away again, its a joke. Not a concern for years .

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I think you’d be more likely to see something like the 70% rule in New Jersey than a ban on outside of state residents on teams.

The 70% rule is that to be eligible for NJSIAA championship playoffs, a team must play at least 70% of its games against New Jersey opponents. Blair Academy, for example, doesn’t meet that so isn’t in the state association.

There is no 6A District One team that has stood a chance outside of 2016 NP & 2017 Cville when SJP played a roster of mostly sophomores.

There will not be a 6A team in District One that will ever stand a chance. SJP has become such a behemoth that there is no neighborhood school that can amass the collection of talent up and down the roster that SJP has.

Let's stop with the "work harder" and "your coaches need to do a better job." The Prep has beaten some very well-coached teams in the Eastern Final-coaching isn't why the Prep has steamrolled D1 teams. They have Jimmies and Joes, and the Prep's second team could compete for a state title on its own.

I take nothing away from SJP, they do a nice job, but there is zero chance of a District One team beating them.

There is no 6A District One team that has stood a chance outside of 2016 NP & 2017 Cville when SJP played a roster of mostly sophomores.

There will not be a 6A team in District One that will ever stand a chance. SJP has become such a behemoth that there is no neighborhood school that can amass the collection of talent up and down the roster that SJP has.

Let's stop with the "work harder" and "your coaches need to do a better job." The Prep has beaten some very well-coached teams in the Eastern Final-coaching isn't why the Prep has steamrolled D1 teams. They have Jimmies and Joes, and the Prep's second team could compete for a state title on its own.

I take nothing away from SJP, they do a nice job, but there is zero chance of a District One team beating them.
There's no doubt the quality of football in D1 has been on the decline. 20-30 years ago I attended playoffs games almost weekly. Sadly, I haven't been to any game in 4 years. The juice and anticipation have all but evaporated for me. Case in point: Neshaminy, Pennsbury and North Penn are all shells of once good/great programs.

I agree for now, but I also know how ppl antagonize dogs behind the fence as well. Just look at the comparisons here on the forum. We often compare good teams from the past. Thinking could 21 Lebo compete against some of the great PCC teams of before. There will be a new top dog if sjp leaves and soon you’ll hear the rumblings.
rch- i agree w u about the comparison thing- but, imo, the idea of comparing teams from 20-30yrs apart is just dumb, too many what-ifs

Everyone knows that the prep would leave the PIAA if that rule were passed. If it werent that ,they would find some other crap to rid them. Prep got better Prep got to go Thats the mantra.

Things will never be equal in some peoples eyes. Next it will be they have too many students so to equalize things lets create another classification. LOL. If Prep begins to lose this will go away again, its a joke. Not a concern for years .
respectfully disagree- to say there will be a "natural changing of the top dog" is just not true. The "landscape" has changed, the "pipeline" form the BEST programs in HS, to the best college teams- is totally different in 2023, than it was in 2013...
1) NIL
2) the NCAA transfer portal
3) schools like IMG
4) big money training and stuff like "national 7v7"
Those things did not exist 10 years ago.
The stakes have changed, and this "non-boundary beheamoth" has gotten bigger and better, being in D12, as a result, i dont see that changing

Not sure about that NA. It was a MUCH more physical game then. One of the guys mentioned that. It was more violent and a lot more fun. Like the NBA with Dr. J, the old Detroit teams and Boston muggers. Contact was allowed. Should say full contact.
Not sure the girls today could stand up to that. Half joking but only half. Some mean boys back then and NO Miller Light was served.
I don’t know, SJP just seems to be on a different level than any in PA football history. Has any other team played the national schedule that SJP has? When SJP plays other top 10 schools in the country, it has to seem like the state championship is a “step down”

I don’t know, SJP just seems to be on a different level than any in PA football history. Has any other team played the national schedule that SJP has? When SJP plays other top 10 schools in the country, it has to seem like the state championship is a “step down”
i totally agree w Stalk- tiger- ratings, rankings and offers, does not mean "best ever"

How about playing another top 10 nationally ranked team IN THE STATE FINAL? That’s a huge step up when everything is on the line… again, to repeat, CB West finished in the top 10 nationally 9 times. They did it playing other nationally ranked teams. St Joe’s run is incredible, and shows no signs of letting up any time soon. They’re an incredible program and deserve all the praise they get. But the idea that they would “run a train” on a top 10 team in the country is a bit far fetched. When have they ever done that?

St Joes Prep would run a Proverbial train on those CBW teams

It's a completely different game now and I think you answered it beautifully. CB West in 1998 would be competitive with any SJP team. The style of scheme and technique employed by that OL is something no HS player has seen in years in this state. When Urban Meyer came to Pittsburgh for a clinic years ago he was commenting about his time with the legendary Joe Moore at ND. He said if someone walked out with the talent and technique that ND employed in the early 90's along the OL, it would be an absolute nightmare for the current college world to deal with. The only type of teams that play with that type of pad level and get off are the academies and we all know how much they give the P5's fits with essentially Patriot League/PSAC level talent.

How well CB West could defend SJP would be a more interesting question.
I'm not sure this IMG team is some kind of legendary type team. They barely beat St. Francis in Baltimore and I have a few friends in that program. I asked them awhile back how their team compares to their 2019 team that destroyed IMG. Their coaches said that 90% of the current St. Francis kids would be JV type players on that 2019 team. That 2019 SFA team had a front 7 that had every starter going to a P5 school and we're not just talking any P5. We're talking Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, Michigan, Oregon, etc.. I think this SFA team finished 5-6 on the season.

Pat Carey once said our OL at CB West is incredibly comfortable at being uncomfortable. That stuck with me to this day.
I saw tonight that St. Edward's won the Ohio big school title 31-21 over Springfield, which had five losses going into the game. The game tonight was tied 21-21 early in the 4th quarter. That suggests the situation in Ohio is different.

Ed’s has only won 7 of the last 14 state titles. Three in a row and four of the last six. It’s also the third straight year they’ve beaten Springfield in the finals.

I don’t know much about Springfield, beyond that’s where Aaron Scott goes - he’s a borderline five star and the top player in Ohio, who is going to play corner at Ohio State. Looks like they use him at option quarterback too, and he threw a TD pass to beat Moeller last week.

I do know Ed’s has two offensive linemen going to Ohio State and one to Michigan, a defensive end going to Notre Dame, a defensive tackle going to Northwestern, and a sophomore running back who will be one of the more sought after players in his class. Their Davidson-bound quarterback got hurt in the regular season and they’ve pretty much stopped throwing it since, because, well have you looked at that offensive line? They’re replaced St. Ignatius as THE power in northeast Ohio.

Big School Titles
St. Ignatius (Cleveland) - 11
Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) - 9
St. Edward (Cleveland) - 7
St. Xavier (Cincinnati) - 4
Canton McKinley (Canton) - 3
Princeton (Cincinnati) - 3
Archbishop Elder (Cincinnati) - 2
Pickerington Central (Columbus) - 2
Hilliard Davidson (Columbus) - 2
Warren G. Harding (Youngstown) - 2
Cardinal Mooney (Youngstown) - 1
St. Frances DeSales (Toledo) - 1
Colerain (Cincinnati) - 1
Upper Arlington (Columbus) - 1
Lima (Lima) - 1
Fairfield - 1

Some facts. This year SJP played a "boundary" public school: Lakeland. The final score (45-24) may indicate it wasn't close, but Lakeland was leading in the middle of the third quarter. Last year the Prep played a public school from NY (Erasmus) and beat them 14-7 in Philly. The game was as close as the score indicates. In 2021 the Prep lost not only to Mount Lebanon but to a public school from Georgia (Milton) in Philly. Milton was not a state champion in their class in GA. In 2020 SJP were supposed to play a public school in Texas but the game got cancelled because of Covid. From what I recall, it was expected to be a very close game, In 2019 (the year they barely beat PCC when McCord and Trotter were injured) they (with McCord and Trotter in good health) lost to a public school (Marietta) in Georgia.

What's the point? In recent years when so many have been saying public (boundary) schools in PA have no chance of beating SJP and really no chance of keeping the game close, SJP has been in very close games with public schools from other states, sometimes losing to them. Maybe this all says something about the quality of hs football in PA (at least in the largest classification) and / or maybe it says something about the attitude of some of the coaches and some people in the media who are likely leaving the players on the public schools SJP plays in the playoffs expecting to be blown out.

(Just saw that Massillon Washington beat Archbishop Hoban in Ohio tonight.)
Lakeland is a traditional Florida powerhouse that would beat most of Pa's best teams in most years

I'm sure it's the same story with those other out of state schools, they aren't agreeing to play private schools from other states unless they are powerhouses

PA football is definitely not as good as Georgia and Florida, not even close

How about playing another top 10 nationally ranked team IN THE STATE FINAL? That’s a huge step up when everything is on the line… again, to repeat, CB West finished in the top 10 nationally 9 times. They did it playing other nationally ranked teams. St Joe’s run is incredible, and shows no signs of letting up any time soon. They’re an incredible program and deserve all the praise they get. But the idea that they would “run a train” on a top 10 team in the country is a bit far fetched. When have they ever done that?
did CB West ever play a team from outside of PA

these national rankings are silly, 2002 Woodland Hills would've finished ranked number 3 in the nation if they didn't play anybody outside the WPIAL, they played Parkland in the state final and got steamrolled

Look at the other side of it. 3 public schools and a traveling all star team. Everyone would rather see the winner on NA and Harrisburg play the winner of what would have been Nazareth and cb south. Instead we will see an all star team mercy rule public schools which don't have the same advantages they do.

It's a completely different game now and I think you answered it beautifully. CB West in 1998 would be competitive with any SJP team. The style of scheme and technique employed by that OL is something no HS player has seen in years in this state. When Urban Meyer came to Pittsburgh for a clinic years ago he was commenting about his time with the legendary Joe Moore at ND. He said if someone walked out with the talent and technique that ND employed in the early 90's along the OL, it would be an absolute nightmare for the current college world to deal with. The only type of teams that play with that type of pad level and get off are the academies and we all know how much they give the P5's fits with essentially Patriot League/PSAC level talent.

How well CB West could defend SJP would be a more interesting question.

I'm not sure this IMG team is some kind of legendary type team. They barely beat St. Francis in Baltimore and I have a few friends in that program. I asked them awhile back how their team compares to their 2019 team that destroyed IMG. Their coaches said that 90% of the current St. Francis kids would be JV type players on that 2019 team. That 2019 SFA team had a front 7 that had every starter going to a P5 school and we're not just talking any P5. We're talking Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, Michigan, Oregon, etc.. I think this SFA team finished 5-6 on the season.
St Francis is a national power. They are loaded and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. They said this could be imgs best team and definitely their most talented defense.

Look at the other side of it. 3 public schools and a traveling all star team. Everyone would rather see the winner on NA and Harrisburg play the winner of what would have been Nazareth and cb south. Instead we will see an all star team mercy rule public schools which don't have the same advantages they do.
ppl would much rather see a mcdevit v quips rematch also but Dallas had other plans. Correct me if I’m wrong but mcdevit operates like sjp? How many times are they mentioned here for unfair advantages?

ppl would much rather see a mcdevit v quips rematch also but Dallas had other plans. Correct me if I’m wrong but mcdevit operates like sjp? How many times are they mentioned here for unfair advantages?
my guess is BM has never had a player living in a different state than PA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT