ADVERTISEMENT

SJP 49 - Wood 14 (Final)

scs13

Oct 11, 2003
Honestly, a bit surprised by this one as I thought Wood would hang with them. I was thinking a few mistakes or turnovers could hurt the Prep and lead to a tight game. The Prep defense looks stoudt, though maybe suspectiple to a good passing game. Wood is hindered with being a bit one-dimensional with injuries, but still surprising. The Hawks have lots of horses on offense and McCord seems mature beyond his years. Tough seeing anyone staying with them until the State semis. A battle against the Western rep and (if they can get by) likely the looming Coatesville will be very interesting tests. With lots of underclassmen, this program looks loaded for the next several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Concretechuck
Saw the game and honestly was surprised. Thought this would be a close game. Prep was bigger, faster and had so many athletes. Probably one of the better teams in the country. Wood is a much different team than past years. Not nearly the athletes they have had in past but probably still a contender in 5 A.

Reactions: lilromeo and scs13
I was also in attendance and was not surprised. Prep is extremely talented. The mismatches at the skill positions were apparent and that is not a shot at the Wood kids. They look like solid high school football players whereas Prep’s kids look like D1 studs.

Reactions: Concretechuck
Good point Concrete Chuck, coaching was like night and day. No fault to Adkins, he is only 24 for heavens sake. I predicted Prep 35-14 and shame on me, didn't factor in the coaching aspect. With Devlin it would have been 35-14 lol. Kidding aside, all the reasons for the blowout stated in this thread are true. I still think Wood muscles their way to a 5A crown in December. I hope so anyway.

How can any team in D11 be a reasonable opponent for SJP in the state quarters? Save your time and money and follow the blowout on twitter.

Freedom and Emmaus are the clear two best teams in D11 and they’re nice high school football teams. If you combined rosters, (mostly to give the Emmaus skill guys Freedom’s offensive line and defensive front 7) they might keep it within two scores.

Reactions: Relayer
I was stunned by the size of the SJP team and the size of the SJP team, in that I thought they would have more players on their roster and I don't think there was one kid under 6' on their sideline. Their Offensive line was ridiculous. I can't wait for that matchup against Coatesville in Hershey. Okay...that's a lie...I'd much rather see it locally at Northeast or Souderton or Plymouth Whitemarsh or....

I was stunned by the size of the SJP team and the size of the SJP team, in that I thought they would have more players on their roster and I don't think there was one kid under 6' on their sideline. Their Offensive line was ridiculous. I can't wait for that matchup against Coatesville in Hershey. Okay...that's a lie...I'd much rather see it locally at Northeast or Souderton or Plymouth Whitemarsh or....
I'm wondering if it's not just a case of SJP being really good but of others teams in the PCL being a fair bit weaker. SJP could have lost the first three games of this year without too much being different. The two teams they beat (St. Peter's Prep and Good Counsel) have since lost a game each to teams in their areas (Maryland and North Jersey.) Clearly this is a relatively down year for LaSalle and Wood. But Roman, Judge, and Ryan don't seem any closer to beating LaSalle and Wood. Take them in order. Two years ago Roman very nearly beat LaSalle and stayed close to SJP. Judge used to field tough teams that rarely lost by large scores. Ten years ago they lost a close game to LaSalle in the championship and had good teams in some of the subsequent seasons. As for Ryan, remember that in 2013 they beat both Wood and SJP teams that went on to win state championships.

Is it partly a case of numbers getting smaller? Last year, as I recall, some of the PCL teams cancelled JV and freshman games because of low numbers and I heard the same thing is happening this year.

Prep is very good imo with a great young QB and receivers and running backs galore. D looked tough also. Wood imo still looks tough (impressed w offensive line ) but not many skill guys (although running back is a nice player ).

Idk how much you can put on coaching for this game. It was like a varsity team playing against a JV team. Wood had 3-4 guys around the ball at times and Prep WR or RB wouldn't even get touched. I saw a couple of other plays that Wood had them outnumbered but a Prep defender would just toss aside a double team from Wood's line.

I have heard that when Devlin left, he admitted to a couple of his assistants that a big part of his reason for leaving last year as opposed to waiting or getting out earlier was because he knew the talent wasn't there at Wood for the next couple of years.

I talked to a couple of Alumni and it seems that Adkins has done a couple of things that have made them happy, embraced them, and is already making some head way in restoring that relationship. I think it will be a down year or two right now (in regards to competing with SJP, not 5A) but by 2020 it will be business as usual at Wood.

Reactions: lilromeo
Idk how much you can put on coaching for this game. It was like a varsity team playing against a JV team. Wood had 3-4 guys around the ball at times and Prep WR or RB wouldn't even get touched. I saw a couple of other plays that Wood had them outnumbered but a Prep defender would just toss aside a double team from Wood's line.

I have heard that when Devlin left, he admitted to a couple of his assistants that a big part of his reason for leaving last year as opposed to waiting or getting out earlier was because he knew the talent wasn't there at Wood for the next couple of years.

I talked to a couple of Alumni and it seems that Adkins has done a couple of things that have made them happy, embraced them, and is already making some head way in restoring that relationship. I think it will be a down year or two right now (in regards to competing with SJP, not 5A) but by 2020 it will be business as usual at Wood.

1. Devlin didn't leave because he wasn't going to beat Prep this year and still have great shot at a 6th ring. He did that the last 2 years. Wood has very strong senior class but Junior class very small, so little depth and key injuries this year, they did not have in recent years. Wood cannot compete with Prep like the rest of the Red division.

2. 2020 Wood will not be competing with Prep, McCord, Trotter, Harrison et al will be seniors and the talent they will contimue to attract with their success and lasalle not wanting to enter the arms race will drive more top talent there by then. They have attracted players from Easton, Pa to Toms River NJ in recent years, good for them, it won't change until Gabe leaves and it may not chnage then......

3. Wood enrollment has been declining and are now a 4A team playing up, has about 350-375 boys 10-12, Prep about 700 and lasalle about 825, tough to compete with those numbers long term.

1. Why would ANYONE be shocked by the score of this game?
-Prep is leaps and bounds better than Wood and anyone else in the PCL for that matter. Its not even close.
2. With McCord at QB and the skill guys they have, Id be shocked if any team in this area keeps them under 40.
-Keep in mind McCord is only a sophomore and will be the best QB to ever play at that school.
3. Teams keep stacking the box and trying to make a soph beat them. Well, he keeps doing it.
-Im not sure how you defend them? They have a plethora of talent on the outsides not to mention two stud RB's hitting it hard along with a solid OL.
4. Don't expect any local team( including wood and LaSalle) to close this gap anytime soon. The teams they roll out there the next two seasons might be the best two teams that they have had since Infante took over the program.

I agree with you, CYO, that McCord (if he stays healthy) will leave the school as their best QB. The team will also have the potential to be very special the next two years, as well, with all of the underclassmen in key roles (including the O-line).

I don’t know much about the Western PA teams, but if it does come down to the Prep and Coatesville as many suggest, then I’m giving the edge to SJP given their depth, the matching of skill on O (C’ville gets the advantage in offensive speed), and (in my opinion) the better defense.

Long way to go though and lots can happen.

• I agree with you, CYO, that McCord (if he stays healthy) will leave the school as their best QB. The team will also have the potential to be very special the next two years, as well, with all of the underclassmen in key roles (including the O-line).
I don’t know much about the Western PA teams, but if it does come down to the Prep and Coatesville as many suggest, then I’m giving the edge to SJP given their depth, the matching of skill on O (C’ville gets the advantage in offensive speed), and (in my opinion) the better defense.

Long way to go though and lots can happen.
Saying the SJP QB will be the best ever would be a true accomplishment and tall order when you consider the following:
* Rich Gannon - NFL MVP & SB QB
* Frank Costa - Miami FL QB All Con
* Chris Whitney - Villanova FBS title
* Kevin Stefanski - NFL QB coach MN

Saying the SJP QB will be the best ever would be a true accomplishment and tall order when you consider the following:
At the high school level. Not talking post HS. I’m strictly talking HS.

Roxy,

I was far from the area when Gannon was at SJP, but from all I heard he really developed as a QB at Delaware. I saw a fair bit of Whitney at the Prep and suspect he may have been a better HS QB than Gannon. (I'm thinking of that game at Bosco in particular. The cruel part of his HS career was the last game against LaSalle where the whole thing turned on his making the extra effort to get into the endzone, resulting in the fumble that was the difference.) And as HS QBs I'd say Martin, Mornhinweg, and McCray were probably better than Stafanski. What do you think?

Roxy,

I was far from the area when Gannon was at SJP, but from all I heard he really developed as a QB at Delaware. I saw a fair bit of Whitney at the Prep and suspect he may have been a better HS QB than Gannon. (I'm thinking of that game at Bosco in particular. The cruel part of his HS career was the last game against LaSalle where the whole thing turned on his making the extra effort to get into the endzone, resulting in the fumble that was the difference.) And as HS QBs I'd say Martin, Mornhinweg, and McCray were probably better than Stafanski. What do you think?
Tulla / CYO -

They were all very good HS QBs. Ironically, Gannon punted left footed, threw right and was drafted as WR. He was an incredible punter (crazy, I know). Stefanski was a cerebral player (believe he played at Penn) and threw the ball a fair amount. Whitney was relative to his time as RPO and very good at it. True, that one game was the fluke of all flukes - 1 in a 1,000 type game. Costa was very athletic with a rifle, went to Miami as part of that line of QBs for the Hurricanes and was highly recruited. I guess you could say that like Whitney, McCord is a relative byproduct of the system (spread), that's not saying that his skill set is not advanced, just a point. I agree Martin was a headsy, game day player. We'll see how it plays out. Infante is a great coach and as mentioned previously, he has become his own best magnet. However, I also agree that the numbers are all down. its very concerning if you're a football fan.

Rox, I haven't seen McCord yet. I saw all the other qb's and as far as tools it's not even close, Costa was hands down the best. He is among the 3 best qb's in terms of arm I ever saw. I'll know within 4 plays when I see McCord in person. But from the video I have seen, given he has 2 years after this, I'm hedging among best ever.

is anyone surprised ? when you have the money to buy whatever talent you need or want you should dominate.woods recruiting class over the last few years way down and st joes has a blank check when it comes to recruiting.besides lasalle if they wanted to spend the money no one is coming close to st joes in the pcl

Prep is on another tier from a talent perspective than every other team in the area. I don’t blame them - Gabe has wanted to take the program national and that’s exactly what he’s done. They’ll win the 6A state championship the next three years (if they are still classified in 6A in the next cycle). I know Coatesville is good (I’ve seen them live), but they are not beating Prep. I’ll be rooting for Coatesville if they get there.

is anyone surprised ? when you have the money to buy whatever talent you need or want you should dominate.woods recruiting class over the last few years way down and st joes has a blank check when it comes to recruiting.besides lasalle if they wanted to spend the money no one is coming close to st joes in the pcl
I love all the "blank check" and 'free ride' talk. If that's the case, explain all the other sports. The coach created a culture and platform that is a draw. He's very well respected regionally and nationally.

Rox, I haven't seen McCord yet. I saw all the other qb's and as far as tools it's not even close, Costa was hands down the best. He is among the 3 best qb's in terms of arm I ever saw. I'll know within 4 plays when I see McCord in person. But from the video I have seen, given he has 2 years after this, I'm hedging among best ever.
I agree in terms of who had the best arm, but I was thinking of everything that makes for a really good HS QB. Martin had a so-so arm but showed incredible leadership those last three games in 2013 when he played with a very bad leg. And last year McCray was just about the only returning offensive starter and had a great season. Think of the second half against Coatesville. Unfortunately, he didn't have a good game against PR, but things might have looked very different if in the first half one TD pass wasn't dropped and the running back didn't fumble the ball as he was about to score.

As for Chris Whitney, take a look at this from the game at Bosco:

Tulla -

I was at that game. One of the best high school games I have seen by two teams on both sides of the ball. Bosco took home field advantage to an entirely new level. Game was robbery and flat out stolen from SJP.

I'll take the kid who has all the records and was 19-3 for the Hurricanes or the NFL MVP.
Time kind of erodes memory. Especially today when everything is on video and you can really see it on demand. From what I have seen McCord is the closest to the big guys I have seen at the Prep. It's a fun debate, and it's why I love this time of year. This debate is kind of like one I like to throw at the Ridley guys. It's emotion almost over fact. McNicholas, Decker or Blundin?

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
1. Devlin didn't leave because he wasn't going to beat Prep this year and still have great shot at a 6th ring. He did that the last 2 years. Wood has very strong senior class but Junior class very small, so little depth and key injuries this year, they did not have in recent years. Wood cannot compete with Prep like the rest of the Red division.

2. 2020 Wood will not be competing with Prep, McCord, Trotter, Harrison et al will be seniors and the talent they will contimue to attract with their success and lasalle not wanting to enter the arms race will drive more top talent there by then. They have attracted players from Easton, Pa to Toms River NJ in recent years, good for them, it won't change until Gabe leaves and it may not chnage then......

3. Wood enrollment has been declining and are now a 4A team playing up, has about 350-375 boys 10-12, Prep about 700 and lasalle about 825, tough to compete with those numbers long term.

I didn't say Devlin left bc he couldn't beat prep this year. I said Devlin admitted that part of the reason he was making the move was that talent at Wood wasn't what it used to be. But two of the biggest reasons the talent was not there anymore is bc Devlin did not recruit the 7th and 8th grade CYO teams like he did in the beginning. Wood started relying more and more on transfers than they did the 7th and 8th grade classes. The school or the diocese then implemented a rule where senior transfers were no longer allowed. Another factor was the relationship with alumni. There was no support because Devlin never made an attempt at establishing a relationship with the alumni at Wood.

I also never said that Wood would beat the Prep in 2020. I said that Wood is down this year due to talent, and will be down again next year due to talent. That is not to say they can't compete for state championships at the 5A level, but I would be shocked if they are blowing everyone out along the way. Yes they have a lot of seniors but the seniors they have are not exactly game changers. They are good, tough HS players and majority of them outside of Bishop will be playing D3 next year.

I said that by 2020 you will see a more return to form with Wood football. And I am saying this because from everything I have heard Adkins has two main focus points. Building a relationship with the alumni, and reestablishing strong relationships with the CYO programs. Now is that going to put you on the same level as Prep? No, but it will be much more competitive than it was this past Saturday.

I didn't say Devlin left bc he couldn't beat prep this year. I said Devlin admitted that part of the reason he was making the move was that talent at Wood wasn't what it used to be. But two of the biggest reasons the talent was not there anymore is bc Devlin did not recruit the 7th and 8th grade CYO teams like he did in the beginning. Wood started relying more and more on transfers than they did the 7th and 8th grade classes. The school or the diocese then implemented a rule where senior transfers were no longer allowed. Another factor was the relationship with alumni. There was no support because Devlin never made an attempt at establishing a relationship with the alumni at Wood.

I also never said that Wood would beat the Prep in 2020. I said that Wood is down this year due to talent, and will be down again next year due to talent. That is not to say they can't compete for state championships at the 5A level, but I would be shocked if they are blowing everyone out along the way. Yes they have a lot of seniors but the seniors they have are not exactly game changers. They are good, tough HS players and majority of them outside of Bishop will be playing D3 next year.

I said that by 2020 you will see a more return to form with Wood football. And I am saying this because from everything I have heard Adkins has two main focus points. Building a relationship with the alumni, and reestablishing strong relationships with the CYO programs. Now is that going to put you on the same level as Prep? No, but it will be much more competitive than it was this past Saturday.
Totally Agree,
Devlin turned off alumni, feeder parish families and CYO programs with his "rental program"
to the point where CYO coaches talked to their 8th grade players and families about the atmosphere
at Wood and weather their hard work in HS would really be enough to get them on the field.
Kyle is committed to returning to the CYO feeder programs and their families.
Looks like real Wood football is returning to Warminster and not the "rental program" for the past 10 seasons. Devlin allowed the rental families to do zero in support of the team while expected the feeder families to handle all the real work and fundraising. Yeah they won but HE created an environment where good families stepped away and some went to their public HS! Now we can get back to Wood football and community! Funny how an awesome 24 year old gets it and a 45 year old man doesn't! Is it "TEAM" or "ME" - Now it's back to TEAM! and YES - prep is very good!

I think the writing was on the wall for Devlin..... 2 years ago he was told internally, NO junior transfer would be granted and last year No senior....... plus PIAA rules changing. He knew it would be harder to get the talented upper classman area skilled players! So move on, get away from all the burned bridges and pissed off families and alumni and start fresh in another town. Time to ruin all the Ursinus traditions (smile)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT