ADVERTISEMENT

SJP 2021 Season

scs13

Oct 11, 2003
Anyone close to the Prep program know who will get to take the reigns as QB this year? Will it be their back-up from last year (Picariello)? Tulla had previously mentioned that there were reports of a very talented freshman QB (not sure if it is a true freshman or rising sophomore). I suspect that the D will be stout once again with their returning talent and the emergence of some younger talent. Offensive skill positions look to be inexperienced, so I would expect that it will take a few games to establish a rhythm. Curious to hear from anyone who saw their practices or attended the scrimmage. Thanks!

Anyone close to the Prep program know who will get to take the reigns as QB this year? Will it be their back-up from last year (Picariello)? Tulla had previously mentioned that there were reports of a very talented freshman QB (not sure if it is a true freshman or rising sophomore). I suspect that the D will be stout once again with their returning talent and the emergence of some younger talent. Offensive skill positions look to be inexperienced, so I would expect that it will take a few games to establish a rhythm. Curious to hear from anyone who saw their practices or attended the scrimmage. Thanks!
I've heard (from a distance) that Picariello will be the starting QB. Some of the skill guys on offense may be short on experience but not on talent.

Reactions: scs13
Prep's defense will control most teams they face. They have a DE that very good. The run game will be good this year and like Tulla said they are young on that side of the ball but, they have a lot of talent players. I also think this years QB will be a big surprise to some.

Reactions: scs13
Prep's defense will control most teams they face. They have a DE that very good. The run game will be good this year and like Tulla said they are young on that side of the ball but, they have a lot of talent players. I also think this years QB will be a big surprise to some.
Will this weeks game be streamed anywhere ??

"Great" Dane Picariello will be the starter at QB for the Hawks. Tough, smart kid. Better than average arm, no fear of contact so is a threat to tuck it and run. And obviously well-coached. He won't fill up the stat sheet like McCord, but sleeping on him would be unwise. Prep defense will be stout to say the least, and definitely keep them where they need to be until the offense gels, which likely won't take long. Roken is an offensive savant, and Sugden (who I think should garner more recognition as one of if not the best O-Line coaches in the state) will have the big uglies ready to roll. I expect they stomp a mudhole in St. Mary's Ryken next week at Rutgers, then a run of perennial powerhouses, including what looks to be an improved LaSalle squad, should tell us a lot about the Hawks and how they might fare when the weather gets cold. I'm wagering it'll be Hershey Bars again this year for the boys at 17th & Girard.

Reactions: scs13 and lilromeo
"Great" Dane Picariello will be the starter at QB for the Hawks. Tough, smart kid. Better than average arm, no fear of contact so is a threat to tuck it and run. And obviously well-coached. He won't fill up the stat sheet like McCord, but sleeping on him would be unwise. Prep defense will be stout to say the least, and definitely keep them where they need to be until the offense gels, which likely won't take long. Roken is an offensive savant, and Sugden (who I think should garner more recognition as one of if not the best O-Line coaches in the state) will have the big uglies ready to roll. I expect they stomp a mudhole in St. Mary's Ryken next week at Rutgers, then a run of perennial powerhouses, including what looks to be an improved LaSalle squad, should tell us a lot about the Hawks and how they might fare when the weather gets cold. I'm wagering it'll be Hershey Bars again this year for the boys at 17th & Girard.
I think Dane will be starting on offence but, most likely not at QB

Then who will be the Qb and what position will Dane play ????
I can't answer your question, lil. I too thought Picariello will be the starting QB. There was a promising QB on last year's freshman team and I noticed that one of two freshmen on this year's varsity roster is Anthony Sacca who has to be the son of the QB of the same name who played for Penn State and a few years in the NFL. On his Twitter account he is said to be 6'4 and 190 pounds. He played in the defensive backfield in last week's scrimmage.

Samaj Jones #15 ..I believe Sacca the son of Anthony Sacca will be playing safety
You are correct! Your earlier response surprised me a a bit, so I made a few calls and heard that Jones was named starter earlier this week. This is despite all accounts of Picairello looking like the better QB throughout camp and two scrimmages. I still stand by my statements about the coaches. Not sure if there is a short leash on Jones or that Jones is a QB only and Picairello plays multiple positions or maybe a little of both? Also, Jones is only a sophomore and the presumptive future at QB. The account I heard was that Bucknell offered Picariello as an athlete, as he performed well at multiple positions at their camp. Interesting stuff, can't wait to see them on the field!

You are correct! Your earlier response surprised me a a bit, so I made a few calls and heard that Jones was named starter earlier this week. This is despite all accounts of Picairello looking like the better QB throughout camp and two scrimmages. I still stand by my statements about the coaches. Not sure if there is a short leash on Jones or that Jones is a QB only and Picairello plays multiple positions or maybe a little of both? Also, Jones is only a sophomore and the presumptive future at QB. The account I heard was that Bucknell offered Picariello as an athlete, as he performed well at multiple positions at their camp. Interesting stuff, can't wait to see them on the field!
Any news on whether the game this weekend is a go and, if so, where and when?

Any news on whether the game this weekend is a go and, if so, where and when?
As of this afternoon when I spoke to a team parent, the game is a go. It is tomorrow at 5:00pm at Rutgers as part of the Rumble on the Raritan event. I believe it will be streamed on NFHS.

Reactions: wilson8500
Jones is young but, has a big arm and very athletic. I think they both will be on field together at times this year

I think the game is tomorrow but, in York Pa but, not sure where in York yet
Tweet from SJP:

The football game vs St Mary Ryken has been postponed. They will now play on Saturday at 6:30 pm at Smalls Athletic Fields in York, PA. Tickets are $5 at the gate. Anyone who bought tickets through Rutgers will receive a refund.

Reactions: Bighead75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT