ADVERTISEMENT

Scores

shfoot

Sep 1, 2001
Manheim Central 34 vs Upper Dublin 12 FINAL

Last edited:
Must of been a great game to watch ! Actually I’m surprised that Wood lost.... such a great program.

Aside from Wood-PH, once again we get nothing but blowouts. Going to six classes is part of the problem. There are 8 teams playing this weekend whose season would already be over in the old set-up with four classes.

Other scores:

3A: Middletown 35 Scranton Prep 21

2A: Wilmington, 26 Steel Valley 6

1A: Farrell, 41OLSH 10
1A: Lackawanna Trail 24 Juniata Valley 14

Can anyone give us a run down of the Wood game ? Just shocked that they lost. Didn’t see this coming as I said today Wood was a shoe in to win it all.... but then again I though Pennridge would beat North Penn

Wood couldn’t run the ball and couldn’t covert great field position on 3 bad punt snaps by PH into TDS. Also, gave up at least 2 long TDS on a run and a pass, and another on a trick play I believe.

I’ve watched PH all year and didn’t think they would have a chance because they weren’t very good up front. But PH speed really hurt Woods offense.

Also, Woods offensive scheme leaves something to be desired. Reminds me a lot of NA out here. Very old school. But whatever works I guess. Woods defense was pretty good except for those three plays.

Wood couldn’t run the ball and couldn’t covert great field position on 3 bad punt snaps by PH into TDS. Also, gave up at least 2 long TDS on a run and a pass, and another on a trick play I believe.

I’ve watched PH all year and didn’t think they would have a chance because they weren’t very good up front. But PH speed really hurt Woods offense.

Also, Woods offensive scheme leaves something to be desired. Reminds me a lot of NA out here. Very old school. But whatever works I guess. Woods defense was pretty good except for those three plays.

That translation to me means Wood was not the same team without Devlin on the sideline. I'm sure the new coach gained lots of experience though. Take nothing away from Penn Hills, that's a great win for their program. Where have you gone Bill Fralic?

Why is everyone shocked? Wood not same as they have been in past few years. Still excellent but not a dominant Wood team.

Also while we are at it can we please retire the argument that when a non boundary school gets beat in the semi finals or finals that it proves to that everything is grand on the ole Orinoco and nothing needs to change. It’s silly.

Before the torches come out. Dyed in the wool Catholic League guy here literally out of the womb. Love the league, it’s history and what it is and represents about greater Philadelphia Metro Area. But being able to accumulate players is huge advantage. We knew this before joined PIAA and now.

Reactions: new2pa and Relayer
That translation to me means Wood was not the same team without Devlin on the sideline. I'm sure the new coach gained lots of experience though. Take nothing away from Penn Hills, that's a great win for their program. Where have you gone Bill Fralic?

Wood was without their MVP player all game, and their second best player was out for almost 3 quarters of the game. Talked to a Wood coach earlier in the year and he said they may have had more injuries this season than previous 10 years combined. Idk if i would blame the coach there.

Reactions: Relayer
Southern Columbia 42 West Catholic 6....4th

C'mon PIAA, time to kick out the public's, not a level playing field.
That's a good one Relayer! Stretching your humor a little but gotta say, SCA's been too good for TOOOOOOOOOO long. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Relayer
Wood game was badly played on both sides, wood wins that game with Devlin. No flavor in offense, Santiago sat most of second half, hurt, idk. Penn hills cant snap to punter, 3 times in first half, wood gets 2 fgs, minimal mis direction attempts against fast defense, threw fb or flat pass barely to los and several times to short side of field where there was no room at all. Wood gets back in game with long td pass where had kid one on one through their formation and never goes back to it. Penn hills doesn't kick xpts, and most of the time, 2 pt attempt is back yard football play, with muddle huddle look. Best play of the game was penn hills trick play, little jet sweep reverse pass, executed really well. PH goes up 20-6 and inexplicably calls an onside kick, which fails plus 15 yard penalty to give wood ball at ph 35. Presto td pass and now 20-13 with 9 minutes to go, 2 more times wood gets possession in plus territory and does nothing, besides on one ph punt, instead of burning 20 more secs off clock with minute and half left and wood with no timeouts, ph runs punter on field and snaps ball quickly. Puzzling stuff all game long, i thought both teams were poorly coached in this one, wood had more than enough opportunities to put this away.

Let’s remember these are boys playing in these games and not men... anything can happen y’all need to chill with the boundary non boundary crap

Wood game was badly played on both sides, wood wins that game with Devlin. No flavor in offense, Santiago sat most of second half, hurt, idk. Penn hills cant snap to punter, 3 times in first half, wood gets 2 fgs, minimal mis direction attempts against fast defense, threw fb or flat pass barely to los and several times to short side of field where there was no room at all. Wood gets back in game with long td pass where had kid one on one through their formation and never goes back to it. Penn hills doesn't kick xpts, and most of the time, 2 pt attempt is back yard football play, with muddle huddle look. Best play of the game was penn hills trick play, little jet sweep reverse pass, executed really well. PH goes up 20-6 and inexplicably calls an onside kick, which fails plus 15 yard penalty to give wood ball at ph 35. Presto td pass and now 20-13 with 9 minutes to go, 2 more times wood gets possession in plus territory and does nothing, besides on one ph punt, instead of burning 20 more secs off clock with minute and half left and wood with no timeouts, ph runs punter on field and snaps ball quickly. Puzzling stuff all game long, i thought both teams were poorly coached in this one, wood had more than enough opportunities to put this away.

Someone told me Bishop was 1 vote shy of league MVP as an OL. He was on crutches. The other starting OT has been out for weeks now. Wood had 3 guys under 6' 200 lbs playing OL last night. It's easy to say run a counter or misdirection, but if you're OL is that short handed it's going to be tough. And Penn Hills was putting 7-8 guys on the line.

The 1 on 1 TD I am pretty sure the DB fell down.

Santiago didn't play on either side of the ball from mid 1Q to beginning of the 4Q? I'd imagine he was hurt. The kid had about 1800 rushing this year?

I think it's easy to say poor coaching due to being too vanilla, not opening up, no creativity when you don't know the whole picture.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I'm not sitting here saying they called a perfect game, but give credit where credit is due. Wood is a 4 loss team and missing 3-4 of their best players. Penn Hills is undefeated. And a LOT more talent at skill positions.

And I guess I have a hard time just accepting the whole "Devlin would've won" comment because Devlin told a former assistant that lack of talent was a factor in the decision to move to college.

Seen PH a couple times. Athletes all over the place and messy all year but seem to make the big play. Can’t teach speed cover...

Reactions: new2pa
soup, i got you. How about the genius coaches from coatesville, messy just like ph, undisciplined again and again. Very true, ph had athletes but you can't tell me wood shouldn't have won that game, especially if devlin on sideline. Fj completely understand and i guess doesn't speak well of devlin that he bailed when talent dried up..

Reactions: Soup13 and CYOBALL1
Devlin wins that game last night, even with injuries. New coach doing a fine job, but cover a NP guy and New a Pittsburgh guy are right. Offensive play calling was poor and not getting plays in time was a major problem. Most of the people in the stands and media there who knew the whole picture were saying the same thing.

I also made the Prep game today in the rain, and PR just way too one dimensional to compete with Prep.

soup, i got you. How about the genius coaches from coatesville, messy just like ph, undisciplined again and again. Very true, ph had athletes but you can't tell me wood shouldn't have won that game, especially if devlin on sideline. Fj completely understand and i guess doesn't speak well of devlin that he bailed when talent dried up..

1) there was plenty of talent at Wood this year, more than enough to win it again !!! It seems like there injuries may have caught up with them a little and maybe a little bit of inexperience by the new HC but overall a good year for 1st year HC
2) Devlin didn’t leave cause talent dried up , he left cause he got the deal of a lifetime for his son to go to school for free at a great college and what Father wouldn’t do that for his son ??? So, please don’t act is if SD ran cause he thought he couldn’t win ... that’s just an absurd statement !!!

I don't post on here unless I am very confident in what I am saying. I'm going to go ahead and trust what I have heard on what Devlin himself said to his assistants more than this boards posts/conjecture. Devlin had been making contact with several college coaches for over a year before he left.

The new HC was the DC the past two years. The coach that calls the offense has been there 12 years now. There was not much change in what they did this year in terms of scheme/play calling. All week this board said PH more athletic but Wood will beat them up on the LOS. The problem is that Wood OL nowhere near what they were the past 2 years. And that was before missing both starting OT. So it's hard to say that was an advantage at all.

Someone said they ran most plays to one side....maybe that's the side where the actual OL were? They took a long time to call play....maybe when a team puts 9 in the box and press covers you outside with better athletes it leaves you with limited options?

Yes Wood had opportunities they needed to capitalize on. But PH was also a more talented football team. Both are allowed to be true.

FJ

You are either a coach or a friend of a coach. You said 2 things that struck me, blaming the loss on a lack of talent and the reason devlin left. Anyone that watched that game saw it was not called well, including many fans of other teams. Scary that you get your info as a coach or a friend of a coach and don't see that while penn Hills is good the play calling could have been better as well, both can be true. If the coaches don't take accountability they will not grow.

Please don't paint SD that way based on hearsay.
Devlin wins easily, not as easy as it looks.

Reactions: lilromeo
I never said wood is not a talented team. I am saying they were not nearly as talented as the past two years. I think that may be the easiest thing in the world to prove. How many of those kids went D1 or D1AA? How many kids on field last night for Wood team are D1/AA? I said they were not the more talented team on the field last night. If you can't admit that both of those things are true, you're just wrong.

I also said play calling could have been better, and that it obviously was not the best called game. I also tried to give a little insight why the play calling was that way. But to say Devlin wins that game "easy" is just a lazy comment to throw onto a message board.

I have not posted one thing about Devlin that is hearsay. The only things I have posted here about him are facts that he himself has admitted or things plenty of people already know. I have not and will not post the entire thing here bc there is no point.

It's not a lazy comment. It is my opinion and many other fans and media members who were at the game. You stated you heard from an assistant coach, that makes it hearsay. Some of us talk to SD directly.

BTW. Everyone knows what Wood had the last 2 years and simply saying PH was more talented is lazy, instead of looking in the mirror, being accountable, and do better next time.

people are saying because the new coach lacks experience......the new coach calls the defense not the offense. The coach that calls the offense has been there for 12 years. People are also assuming they'd know how Devlin would call last nights game....based on what? The past two years of play calls with D1 OL/WR/RBs/TEs? So yes I am saying it is lazy because there are a lot of other factors no one is even mentioning.

Thinking Penn Hills did not have more talent on that field last night is hysterical.

And yes, I will 100% stand by every single thing I have said on the Devlin situation.

Devlin called the plays. Not as easy as it looks. Wood defense is fine and very well coached. I'm just agreeing with what everyone who there was saying including new2pa and cover.
Pretty defensive about wood coaching for a judge guy....

Reactions: DCSOL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT