ADVERTISEMENT

Running backs 2017 season

lilromeo

Gold Member
Apr 14, 2014
Who are the projected top RBs in the state for this coming season ?

I believe Abington, Wood, Coatesville all have running backs back that are division 1 talents. Anyone else in District one? Im sure District 12 has some others.

Imhotep does as well
I believe Chris Wells and Isheem Young will share the RB duties at Tep,and they probably have others . Wood graduated their duo and I haven't heard if they have any really good backs returning. The Prep lost the main man and the kid that was injured towards the end of the year ,so I haven't a clue who will fill the vacancy.

In “State” as you asked lilromeo, last year’s sophomore in District-3, Ignacion Reynosa (5-11, 210, 1684) was the real deal at Wilson….who will likely 4-peat in the district. Loaded! CD East will be a bad ass. Oops…I won’t get started.

In 4 at AA, Southern Columbia’s freshman was around 1900 or more. Got hammered by Steel Val (who didn’t?) and will likely rep the East again. Super, super young group last year, tons of frosh-soph talent. Just what everyone wants to hear about Southern!

Reactions: lilromeo
I believe Abington, Wood, Coatesville all have running backs back that are division 1 talents. Anyone else in District one? Im sure District 12 has some others.
who is the back at Wood? Will that be Peoples now or is there a pending free agent?

I believe Chris Wells and Isheem Young will share the RB duties at Tep,and they probably have others . Wood graduated their duo and I haven't heard if they have any really good backs returning. The Prep lost the main man and the kid that was injured towards the end of the year ,so I haven't a clue who will fill the vacancy.
The Prep had a couple of very promising young guys last year: Kolbe Burrell (a freshman) and Marquez Mason (a sophomore). Each got some more than a bit of varsity time. You'll also likely see someone like Phil O'Connor, who played offense some last year, coming into the backfield with more frequency next year.

McNeal from Ryan returns. Say what you want about his production and when/who it took place against. He is 6'1 and a load to tackle.
Roman returns Cooper for his senior year. Mostly a one trick pony, hard downhill style runner. Decent set of hands. They are also big on a current freshman, Malik Griffin.
Judge will return their two leading backs in Weldon and Joseph. Weldon more of a bruising back, Joseph zone scheme back with nice speed.
Prep, probably the sophomore Burrell. You know they will have other options in the mix as well. They always seem to have a senior back that earns his way into the game plan.
Carroll loses its leading rusher, Christian Smith. Carroll hardly made an attempt to establish the run game this past season. With a talented sophomore class to be I put my money on one of those kids rising and becoming their guy at RB. Who it will be, I don't know.
LaSalle returns Quiles. Quiles is a nice back but certainly not an every down back that they are accustomed to having with Madden departing. I am hearing rumors about a possible transfer from Conwell Egan. Don't know if that story has legs or if its he said she said.
Thats about all I can offer for the PCL red...

In the Lehigh Valley:

The list starts with Sone Ntoh and Lubens Myers from Emmaus. The two sophomores combined for over 2,000 yards last year and 31 touchdowns. Myers is a burner with a 1,300 yard season under his belt while Ntoh runs over people and is already 200 pounds. Both are on the radar as potential D1 running backs and make emmaus the favorite going until next year.

Jahan Worth from Parkland was an All State linebacker and will be their feature back. He ran for 930 yards and 11 TDs as a junior. He's 6'0 230 with low level FBS offers as a linebacker.

Nasir Legree from Liberty is a rising junior who already has more than 1,000 career yards, though he was plagued by injuries as a sophomore. He's 5'10 180 with good speed and could be a real breakout candidate.

Daizhun Rhoades at Bethlehem Catholic had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage and scored 10TDs last year. The senior scat back will be a bigger part of their every down offense this season, though don't be surprised if sophomore Tavion Banks is the breakout star in D11.

Harold Reynolds of Easton ran for 780 yards and 9 TDs as a sophomore last season. He's 5'8 175 but has good genes (his brother, a 1,000 yard rusher, was 5'11 205 as a senior) and could get a lot bigger in the offseason. He showed real vision and balance and will be the guy in the offense this season.

Last edited:
In “State” as you asked lilromeo, last year’s sophomore in District-3, Ignacion Reynosa (5-11, 210, 1684) was the real deal at Wilson….who will likely 4-peat in the district. Loaded! CD East will be a bad ass. Oops…I won’t get started.

In 4 at AA, Southern Columbia’s freshman was around 1900 or more. Got hammered by Steel Val (who didn’t?) and will likely rep the East again. Super, super young group last year, tons of frosh-soph talent. Just what everyone wants to hear about Southern!
There is a RB from the Wiliamsport area that I understand is a D-1 player ,but cannot recall his name. I do remember the Abington back who had a big year .

The Prep had a couple of very promising young guys last year: Kolbe Burrell (a freshman) and Marquez Mason (a sophomore). Each got some more than a bit of varsity time. You'll also likely see someone like Phil O'Connor, who played offense some last year, coming into the backfield with more frequency next year.
O'Connor as a blocking back? The last time O'Connor ran the football was in 8th grade.

O'Connor as a blocking back? The last time O'Connor ran the football was in 8th grade.
That's why I said "blocking back." Infante has often used a linebacker to play in the backfield, especially in short yardage situations. e.g. DuMond. And I think O'Connor caught a few passes last year--for extra points?--though I don't recall whether he lined up as an end or in the backfield.

There is a RB from the Wiliamsport area that I understand is a D-1 player ,but cannot recall his name. I do remember the Abington back who had a big year .

Treyson Potts is the Williamsport running back. He's probably the best back in Pennsylvania. Rushed for 2,000 yards and 34 TDs as a sophomore on his way to first team all state honors. I believe he already has Pitt and Penn State offers. At 5'10 185 he has great size for a high school sophomore and has a 4.6 40 time. He'll be a national level recruit in the 2019 class.

That's why I said "blocking back." Infante has often used a linebacker to play in the backfield, especially in short yardage situations. e.g. DuMond. And I think O'Connor caught a few passes last year--for extra points?--though I don't recall whether he lined up as an end or in the backfield.
Actually Tulla you made it out as if O'Connor would be a runner. Don't forget Talley

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Actually Tulla you made it out as if O'Connor would be a runner. Don't forget Talley
My mistake was was thinking potential "backfield" rather than "runner." I recall Talley occasionally on offense this past year and in looking at his size, strength, and skills I have no problem seeing him as similar to Waller. Does that seem right to you?

Garwo from Egan. Rising Sophomore..... speed & strength. Has a compact frame that can handle the workload. Think he's leaving Egan and coming to PCL, my bet would be Wood.

Garwo from Egan. Rising Sophomore..... speed & strength. Has a compact frame that can handle the workload. Think he's leaving Egan and coming to PCL, my bet would be Wood.
Egan is also in the PCL. I heard he was going to LaSalle. Not sure if that's true.

Out west:

Kenny White from West Allegheny is a three-star running back coming of of a 1,000 yard season and has offers from Pitt, Iowa State, and Buffalo.

Micah Morris from Fox Chapel is a mosnter, 6'2, 230, and ran for 1,300 yards last season at almost 9 yards per carry.

In 6A, no 1,000 yard rushers return. Jordan Crawford of Pine-Richland is the leading returning rusher after a 731 yard junior season. The speed merchant also caught 40 passes and tallied close to 1,300 yards from scrimmage on the season.

Last edited:
maybe a carry here, a carry there. both kids are equal on running skills, can both block

I heard LaSalle also but I guess since he's working out with Wood, you would have to assume that's where he is going. Wood is cheaper than Egan anyway.

I heard LaSalle also but I guess since he's working out with Wood, you would have to assume that's where he is going. Wood is cheaper than Egan anyway.
True, but Lasalle could make tuition go away completely. Wherever he decides he'll be a great addition.

Out west:

Kenny White from West Allegheny is a three-star running back coming of of a 1,000 yard season and has offers from Pitt, Iowa State, and Buffalo.

Micah Morris from Fox Chapel is a mosnter, 6'2, 230, and ran for 1,300 yards last season at almost 9 yards per carry.

In 6A, no 1,000 yard rushers return. Jordan Crawford of Pine-Richland is the leading returning rusher after a 731 yard junior season. The speed merchant also caught 40 passes and tallied close to 1,000 yards from scrimmage on the season.

Before Jurkovec got hurt, he was on pace for almost another 1000 yard season... Not an RB, but I'm sure he will be a big part of PR's running game.

Oh Jurkovec is a monster. Very well might be the best running threat on the list. Definitely the best offensive player in 6A in 2017. With all the spread zone read stuff they run, I'd bet he puts up another 1,000 yard season as long as he stays healthy.

Last edited:
Out west for PCC they had a few freshman RB's that saw varsity time. The notable one was dontre jones who is 5'6 185. If your a freshman seeing varsity time at PCC then I guess you must be pretty good.

Pine Richland ran a trio of backs last year with crawford being the main do it all run it catch it etc with two complementary backs. one of them was a freshman who also started on defense for them the second half of the year. Name is Luke Meckler. His brother Jesse was a senior and also apart of the trio for PR and started on defense as a linebacker. He's 5'9 150 but will more than likely get bigger this offseason. Had 300 something yards with 3 TDs, not huge stats but was very explosive when he got the ball and might end up being faster than crawford. PR's offense will be very scary next year with what they return imo as long as jurkovec is healthy.

True, but Lasalle could make tuition go away completely. Wherever he decides he'll be a great addition.
I have never heard of LaSalle putting anyone on a full ride. Actually neither does SJP. That is the common thought amongst the other schools/ teams in the PCL bc of their sustained success with bringing in talent.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
If he decides on Wood ,It would fill the void at RB and make them a real power again this year. Wood appears to have a strong lineup with only that one position being a question mark.

If he decides on Wood ,It would fill the void at RB and make them a real power again this year. Wood appears to have a strong lineup with only that one position being a question mark.
Same idea I had...... If it was my kid I would look at the need at each school. Wood certainly is in need of a RB that's why I lean towards Wood. Coming from the CE to Wood is what straight up Street Rd ( I'm guessing)?

Same idea I had...... If it was my kid I would look at the need at each school. Wood certainly is in need of a RB that's why I lean towards Wood. Coming from the CE to Wood is what straight up Street Rd ( I'm guessing)?
i'm told there also is a younger brother

Treyson Potts is the Williamsport running back. He's probably the best back in Pennsylvania. Rushed for 2,000 yards and 34 TDs as a sophomore on his way to first team all state honors. I believe he already has Pitt and Penn State offers. At 5'10 185 he has great size for a high school sophomore and has a 4.6 40 time. He'll be a national level recruit in the 2019 class.
Is Potts going into his Jr year?

Twitter reporting that Kenny White from West A has transferred to Pine Richland.

Kenny White ruled ineligible by WPIAL. Assume they will appeal to state. It was reported that Pine-Richland checked a box on the transfer form that indicated they thought there was athletic intent! That could be a first.

Interesting to see what happens. Lots of grumbling.

Went to P-R spring practice today. Jurkovec looked 100% healthy and their offense looks fast and athletic. They have a stable of WRs that can run and catch and Crawford and White at RB look lethal. Combine those two with Jurkovec and they probably have the best 3 RBs in the WPIAL. OL looks much bigger than last year. They were missing Falcone who I guess tweaked his knee and was being held out and the Meckler boy who is at the state track meet and can absolutely fly. Add those two with the kids I saw and they will be a very tough matchup.

Didn't see any defense but I know they've got a couple pluggers back at LB and their entire secondary back including a couple all conference kids, plus the White kid.

Went to P-R spring practice today. Jurkovec looked 100% healthy and their offense looks fast and athletic. They have a stable of WRs that can run and catch and Crawford and White at RB look lethal. Combine those two with Jurkovec and they probably have the best 3 RBs in the WPIAL. OL looks much bigger than last year. They were missing Falcone who I guess tweaked his knee and was being held out and the Meckler boy who is at the state track meet and can absolutely fly. Add those two with the kids I saw and they will be a very tough matchup.

Didn't see any defense but I know they've got a couple pluggers back at LB and their entire secondary back including a couple all conference kids, plus the White kid.

Falcone tore his miniscus from what I heard, expected to be out first couple weeks of the season. They are very deep at skill positions this year, I don't think their passing attack is gonna miss much of a beat while he's gone, it will be very explosive once he returns. This offense has the potential to be on the 2014 team level or better. The defense has a good first test during the week 0 game on ESPN against Wayne, who has a 5 star reciever recruit and a potent offense. That game will probably light the scoreboard up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT