ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky on Transfers

fbfan1225

Sep 11, 2009
Our favorite writer at the Inquirer, Ricky O, has made the focus of his past two weekend articles about transfers, by calling them out. Not sure his reason for the slant but it did bring up an interesting point. Two weeks ago he pointed out the best Upper Dublin lineman is a LaSalle senior transfer, he did not mention the kicker is also a senior transfer. This week it was the LaSalle Junior transfer from Chestnut Hill. Next weekend he could easily be talking about North Penn's QB. So where is Ricky going with this?

The Bozo running Easternpafootball put out a survey asking if Public and Private schools should be split. He couldn't even get the questions right as I believe the argument is about open boundary schools and not Private, or is ITEP OK? But he hates anything non his version of "Public". But what about the transfer issue, is that a bigger problem? Did not see his survey on that topic.

Here is my question. Should there be a PIAA transfer rule that says you can't play for a year or for some set number of games at your new school if you transfer after 9th grade for any reason? I say yes, sit out a year.

Our favorite writer at the Inquirer, Ricky O, has made the focus of his past two weekend articles about transfers, by calling them out. Not sure his reason for the slant but it did bring up an interesting point. Two weeks ago he pointed out the best Upper Dublin lineman is a LaSalle senior transfer, he did not mention the kicker is also a senior transfer. This week it was the LaSalle Junior transfer from Chestnut Hill. Next weekend he could easily be talking about North Penn's QB. So where is Ricky going with this?

The Bozo running Easternpafootball put out a survey asking if Public and Private schools should be split. He couldn't even get the questions right as I believe the argument is about open boundary schools and not Private, or is ITEP OK? But he hates anything non his version of "Public". But what about the transfer issue, is that a bigger problem? Did not see his survey on that topic.

Here is my question. Should there be a PIAA transfer rule that says you can't play for a year or for some set number of games at your new school if you transfer after 9th grade for any reason? I say yes, sit out a year.

Not sure, maybe too strong?? As much as I hate the Sr. mercenary transfers (we know who is main culprit), kids transferring prior to their Jr. year with parental desires and signed off by the exiting school as a legitimate circumstance should be given some latitude.

Senior(Sr.) transfers should have to sit for some period and not be available for post season play unless their exiting school closes or the family moves into school district from a "distant" locale. Could be other circumstances like death of a parent/parents that warrant a move to guardian district. Also financial, if the school attended is no longer affordable(non-pubs), would hate start looking at W-2's to legitimize a case.

Good question..

Not sure, maybe too strong?? As much as I hate the Sr. mercenary transfers (we know who is main culprit), kids transferring prior to their Jr. year with parental desires and signed off by the exiting school as a legitimate circumstance should be given some latitude.

Senior(Sr.) transfers should have to sit for some period and not be available for post season play unless their exiting school closes or the family moves into school district from a "distant" locale. Could be other circumstances like death of a parent/parents that warrant a move to guardian district. Also financial, if the school attended is no longer affordable(non-pubs), would hate start looking at W-2's to legitimize a case.

Good question..

Good question..

Going from a private school to your home public school is not a transfer. I was aware of a couple of situations where it happened for financial reasons. What you don't mention is those that go back to their local public school who don't see the field or even play a sport. This has been going on as long as I can remember.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Let's be honest. No one cares about transfers if it isn't LS, SJP, IMHO, or Wood. Kids transfer all the time public to public, the parents pay to put their kids in other school districts, no one cares. No one cares if it is LS, SJP, IMHO, Wood to a public, or another public in Imho case. No one cares if a kid goes from Strath Haven to Ohara, or to Bonner. No one cares if a kid goes from NP or QT to LC. No one cares if a kid goes from CHA to Wissahickon..they care if he goes to LS. Go from Dtown to Shanahan? Major offense. Go from Shanahan to DTown...who cares. You talk about the NP kid...but you don't really care, because you know when you peel back all the public schools it happens. You care about 4 schools. You don't care if a kid goes from HH to GA. You care when he goes to Wood. I have no issue Rick pointed it out, I think it's part of the story. No outrage on kid going from Norristown to Malvern...nice story though. I just say watch out for what you wish for. Watched on TCN a bit of the Lenape/Shawnee football game...so they throw up the state championship schedule. Games are spread out at various locations,...oh...except the Private School big school....played at MetLife stadium. Which game is the big game? You tell me....I am from a different time. The PCL didn't play the PIAA...of course the PCL was enormous back then and the quality of play matched. If you made the playoffs you were a helluva team. PCL champ and Pub champs were different bird.
So I for one am not looking forward to the irrelevance this brings: http://www.maxpreps.com/playoffs/brackets.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&state=nj But maybe people want it.

Reactions: lilromeo
I guess then you can have a champ of kids who went to middle school together.....why is that a thing? Is that a thing?
Guess so. UD has that this year...if they lose....are we going to hear that the kids who played in middle school didn't win when they are supposed to?

Let's be honest. No one cares about transfers if it isn't LS, SJP, IMHO, or Wood. Kids transfer all the time public to public, the parents pay to put their kids in other school districts, no one cares. No one cares if it is LS, SJP, IMHO, Wood to a public, or another public in Imho case. No one cares if a kid goes from Strath Haven to Ohara, or to Bonner. No one cares if a kid goes from NP or QT to LC. No one cares if a kid goes from CHA to Wissahickon..they care if he goes to LS. Go from Dtown to Shanahan? Major offense. Go from Shanahan to DTown...who cares. You talk about the NP kid...but you don't really care, because you know when you peel back all the public schools it happens. You care about 4 schools. You don't care if a kid goes from HH to GA. You care when he goes to Wood. I have no issue Rick pointed it out, I think it's part of the story. No outrage on kid going from Norristown to Malvern...nice story though. I just say watch out for what you wish for. Watched on TCN a bit of the Lenape/Shawnee football game...so they throw up the state championship schedule. Games are spread out at various locations,...oh...except the Private School big school....played at MetLife stadium. Which game is the big game? You tell me....I am from a different time. The PCL didn't play the PIAA...of course the PCL was enormous back then and the quality of play matched. If you made the playoffs you were a helluva team. PCL champ and Pub champs were different bird.
So I for one am not looking forward to the irrelevance this brings: http://www.maxpreps.com/playoffs/brackets.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&state=nj But maybe people want it.
I agree with you about what people who complain so much about transfers are really complaining about.

One could add that transfers between schools for all students--not just for those who play a high-profile sport--seem to be on the increase. Maybe that's a reflection of parents' worries about whether there's a particular school is meeting their child's needs or maybe it has more to do with money, especially where one school charges tuition and the other doesn't--or one charges much higher tuition. It's also a fact that whereas in the past only students from Catholic families went to Catholic schools and many Catholic families didn't consider sending their kids to any school that wasn't Catholic, that's all changed--which of course makes transfers much easier and more common. It bears emphasizing that this is something that applies not just to athletes.

To what degree was the PIAA decision to go to 6 classes driven by a concern that too many Catholic / private schools were wining championships? Regardless of the reason, I think it'll backfire in the long run as people see the state championship as less meaningful. You can't say we'll have 6 champions rather than 4 and we'll require fewer playoff games and expect that each championship will feel as special and as hard-won.

Right now you have 8 private schools and one Charter school out of 32 teams left, So I do not think it is has gone too crazy. Many would say it is an advantage and perhaps it is more so in the PCL (some schools get NJ kids to play). But even at that how many times was there a private school so dominant that it just blew through the PIAA playoffs?

Ricky pointed out another transfer in his article today. He seems to be on a roll. I guess he is making some point. Here's hoping he has LaSalle as the underdog this week. By 10+ plus points and it is a lock LaSalle wins. But maybe he will talk to Huck.

00shoe,

I agree with you, just wondering why Ricky is making it a point this playoff season. Highlight the player is fine but then ask him why he left? Did it matter on why he had a great game? Tough for a kid to say it was because he wasn't playing, or my school closed, or my parents are crazy, or I want to play on a better team.

Right now you have 8 private schools and one Charter school out of 32 teams left, So I do not think it is has gone too crazy. Many would say it is an advantage and perhaps it is more so in the PCL (some schools get NJ kids to play). But even at that how many times was there a private school so dominant that it just blew through the PIAA playoffs?
Sammy, the "some schools get NJ kids to play" line needs a rest. As far as I know, only SJP has ever had more than one or two Jersey kids, and I can't recall any school other than SJP where a Jersey kid was a real impact player. And as for SJP itself, largely because of the school's location and because of its profile (as the only Jesuit school in the Philly area) and its reputation, it has always had lots of students--not just football players--from Jersey. The PIAA must have known that when the PCL joined. Certainly SJP has never hidden the fact. The school's location is both an advantage (because it means it can draw from all over the Philly area) and a disadvantage (because it means nearly all the students have a relatively long commute, a particular problem for football players who don't have an onsite practice field).

OK I was just stating where that could help a team and I am in favor of private schools playing in the PIAA, sheesh ever read Shakespeare. "Methinks you protest too much"

OK I was just stating where that could help a team and I am in favor of private schools playing in the PIAA, sheesh ever read Shakespeare. "Methinks you protest too much"
Sammy, When I referred to the line needing a rest I wasn't thinking of you particularly. It seems that in the last year or two it's been used so much more, usually in the context of claiming that SJP therefore has a huge and terribly unfair advantage and often coupled with the crazy notion that SJP gets players from four states and even that it recruits up and down the eastern seaboard.

I never said that and I think everyone knows that SJP has Jersey kids. It is what it is and like I said I think the PCl makes PA football better

What about Avon Grove to O'Hara? Everyone cried like a big pussy on this site when that happened.

Please take the Obama Care to the politics board (cough, cough). Lay off Rick fbfan, you've been an obsessed stalker for years. I had a blast hanging out with him on Saturday. He was welcoming, informative, and had a GREAT sense of humor. As I said earlier, Wood-Imhotep was the best game I've seen this year, bar none! fbfan, I hope to see you on Saturday! Where is your tailgate?

Last edited:
Please take the Obama Care to the politics board (cough, cough). Lay off Rick fbfan, you've been an obsessed stalker for years. I had a blast hanging out with him on Saturday. He was welcoming, informative, and had a GREAT sense of humor. As I said earlier, Wood-Imhotep was the best game I've seen this year, bar none! fbfan, I hope to see you on Saturday! Where is your tailgate?

Relayer we love Ricky. Yes it is an ongoing thing with Ricky who has picked against LaSalle in most of LaSalle's big wins. The reverse Ricky factor will continue, if he picks Parkland by 10+ bet the house on LaSalle, You got to love Hucks comment that Ricky felt LaSalle could beat the Prep then picks the Prep by 14.

I still find him pointing out transfers in recent articles as an agenda with him going out of his way to mention it. I just don't see the relevance asking a kid why he transferred when writing about a great game he had in the playoffs 13 games into the season. He even called out a ITEP transfer from West Catholic who transferred at the time the school was closing. Its an agenda.

Tailgate in the school parking lot behind the home stands. Same location since 2009.

Relayer we love Ricky. Yes it is an ongoing thing with Ricky who has picked against LaSalle in most of LaSalle's big wins. The reverse Ricky factor will continue, if he picks Parkland by 10+ bet the house on LaSalle, You got to love Hucks comment that Ricky felt LaSalle could beat the Prep then picks the Prep by 14.

I still find him pointing out transfers in recent articles as an agenda with him going out of his way to mention it. I just don't see the relevance asking a kid why he transferred when writing about a great game he had in the playoffs 13 games into the season. He even called out a ITEP transfer from West Catholic who transferred at the time the school was closing. Its an agenda.

Tailgate in the school parking lot behind the home stands. Same location since 2009.
Never understood why you call Rick O'Brien "Ricky." No one else does it. It just seems like a lame attempt to patronize.

Especially since Ted Silary has gone further into retirement, we're lucky to have a journalist who takes as much interest in high school sports as he does--and he really does seem interested as opposed to doing what he has to do to keep his job.

As for his picking against LaSalle against SJP, as I recall every LaSalle supporter on this board whom I can recall, including you, picked SJP in this year's championship game.

Met him in the stands one time. Very nice guy, very open and friendly. Tulla you're right about being lucky to have him since Ted retired.

Never understood why you call Rick O'Brien "Ricky." No one else does it. It just seems like a lame attempt to patronize.

Especially since Ted Silary has gone further into retirement, we're lucky to have a journalist who takes as much interest in high school sports as he does--and he really does seem interested as opposed to doing what he has to do to keep his job.

As for his picking against LaSalle against SJP, as I recall every LaSalle supporter on this board whom I can recall, including you, picked SJP in this year's championship game.

Tulla I said I thought the Prep would win unless Ricky picked them by more than 10 then I was going with LaSalle. He picked PB and NP over LaSalle too.

Sorry I don't agree that going out of your way to make a point about transfers which does nothing but expand the Open Boundary debate is good for High School sports and that we are lucky we have someone to point that out. It was a grab to write something that gets people fired up. Maybe that is what he is suppose to do but then he puts the kid on the spot to explain himself, thats the low part of the slant. EasternPafootball is doing the same thing. As a private school supporter I would think you would understand the message he was trying to deliver. Ted never had to stoop that low to get people to follow him. Even Relayer in his writeup on the site felt compelled to point out the private school transfers but omitted comments on the public school transfers.

It is interesting that all the discussion we have had on the board about Wood that few have actually responded to my question. What should we do about transfers, if anything. The IntAc does not permit a transfer from playing in any league game of a season. That pretty much eliminates transfers to their schools.

Sammy, the "some schools get NJ kids to play" line needs a rest. As far as I know, only SJP has ever had more than one or two Jersey kids, and I can't recall any school other than SJP where a Jersey kid was a real impact player. And as for SJP itself, largely because of the school's location and because of its profile (as the only Jesuit school in the Philly area) and its reputation, it has always had lots of students--not just football players--from Jersey. The PIAA must have known that when the PCL joined. Certainly SJP has never hidden the fact. The school's location is both an advantage (because it means it can draw from all over the Philly area) and a disadvantage (because it means nearly all the students have a relatively long commute, a particular problem for football players who don't have an onsite practice field).
Come on Tulla. When Roman beat SJP they had a few NJ kids. Don't forget Fisher who played football and basketball at Roman

Didn't Fisher move to Jersey after he had already been at Roman for a couple of years? I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

If there have been a total of 10 Jersey guys on Roman's football teams in the last 10 years I'd be very surprised. Have there been any in the last three years? In any case, Roman has never had the steady stream that Prep has, especially with some families like the Quinns in the past and the Johnsons more recently. And I'm perfectly comfortable with SJP drawing 20% or so of its players from Jersey, especially since it draws about the same percentage of its students from there--and has done so for many decades.

Always laughed at the statement that was thrown out there, to see if it would stick I guess, that St. Joe's had players from 4 states on their team.

Public school kids should stay in their geographic region. Play for your school, your community and if you're good ,you're good, someone will find you. Plenty of camps , showcases for kids to show their talent and get noticed. To many selfish people out to improve their situation at the expense of others and to few administrations/coaches who have the conscious to do whats right. It's very simple, if you don't like the coach, your team is lousy , you got into hot water at your school, you don't want to compete for your spot, or maybe you"ll get a scholarship at a more prominent school "you can transfer. Teaches kids nothing. If you transfer for whatever reason, you sit a year. Period.

Tulla I said I thought the Prep would win unless Ricky picked them by more than 10 then I was going with LaSalle. He picked PB and NP over LaSalle too.

Sorry I don't agree that going out of your way to make a point about transfers which does nothing but expand the Open Boundary debate is good for High School sports and that we are lucky we have someone to point that out. It was a grab to write something that gets people fired up. Maybe that is what he is suppose to do but then he puts the kid on the spot to explain himself, thats the low part of the slant. EasternPafootball is doing the same thing. As a private school supporter I would think you would understand the message he was trying to deliver. Ted never had to stoop that low to get people to follow him. Even Relayer in his writeup on the site felt compelled to point out the private school transfers but omitted comments on the public school transfers.

It is interesting that all the discussion we have had on the board about Wood that few have actually responded to my question. What should we do about transfers, if anything. The IntAc does not permit a transfer from playing in any league game of a season. That pretty much eliminates transfers to their schools.

FB, for the sake of accuracy, but Rick did pick LS over both NP & PSB at the beginning of the year.

Also, in reference to the IC player who transferred from WC. That occurred after the school was going to close. Not before. He played at WC as sophomore the year after they kept the d hooks open. However, he just didn't "leave" WC. Made a mistake. Administration overreacted (probably ?). He was ranked top 5 in his class. Good kid, too.

You're a little over-sensitive with his stuff.

Last edited:
FB, for the sake of accuracy, but Rick did pick LS over both NP & PSB at the beginning of the year.

Also, in reference to the IC player who transferred from WC. That occurred after the school was going to close. Not before. He played at WC as sophomore the year after they kept the d hooks open. However, he just didn't "leave" WC. Made a mistake. Administration overreacted (probably ?). He was ranked top 5 in his class. Good kid, too.

You're a little over-sensitive with his stuff.

As Roxy would say, feeble mind, remembering what Ricky picked. I agree I am a little sensitive about Ricky but then if us and the Prep guys didn't post there would be nothing on here.

On the WC player, I think we are saying the same thing. The school closing caused the transfer.

When you asked Ricky about his transfer slant discussion in the playoffs what did he say?

As Roxy would say, feeble mind, remembering what Ricky picked. I agree I am a little sensitive about Ricky but then if us and the Prep guys didn't post there would be nothing on here.

On the WC player, I think we are saying the same thing. The school closing caused the transfer.

When you asked Ricky about his transfer slant discussion in the playoffs what did he say?

We're not saying the same thing about the WC transfer. It had nothing to do with school closing. Follow the timeline.

Spring 2012: School might close, school is saved.

Fall 2012: Said player enters WC as a freshman.

Fall 2013: Said player contributes on WC football team as sophomore.

Spring 2014: said player leaves WC.

Rick said his angle was more on Madden. It was the first time he wrote about him this year. He felt inclined to reference his brothers and that he transferred. He said he understands that it's late in the year, but his focus wasn't about bringing up the transfer issue. Again, you're sensitive and looking for things to complain about.

I didn't remember what Rick picked, so I asked him. He went back and looked and gave me the scores that he picked. I knew he didn't pick PSB, tho. Why would he? One-dimensional and LS had already beaten NP.

I hope the LS & SJP faithful continue to frequent the board. I'm entertained by the whose dick is bigger commentary :)

Reactions: pclfan1
We're not saying the same thing about the WC transfer. It had nothing to do with school closing. Follow the timeline.

Spring 2012: School might close, school is saved.

Fall 2012: Said player enters WC as a freshman.

Fall 2013: Said player contributes on WC football team as sophomore.

Spring 2014: said player leaves WC.

Rick said his angle was more on Madden. It was the first time he wrote about him this year. He felt inclined to reference his brothers and that he transferred. He said he understands that it's late in the year, but his focus wasn't about bringing up the transfer issue. Again, you're sensitive and looking for things to complain about.

I didn't remember what Rick picked, so I asked him. He went back and looked and gave me the scores that he picked. I knew he didn't pick PSB, tho. Why would he? One-dimensional and LS had already beaten NP.

I hope the LS & SJP faithful continue to frequent the board. I'm entertained by the whose dick is bigger commentary :)

The future of West Catholic has been in question and still is given the student numbers. Not surprised on any changes. I was giving him a pass on why he transferred but I guess you wanted to call him out. I don't know why he transferred.

Ricky's focus on the UD transfer is the one that got me going. Why call them out?? It was three weeks in a row with a transfer focus.

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/high_school&id=356457491

Last edited:
Public school kids should stay in their geographic region. Play for your school, your community and if you're good ,you're good, someone will find you. Plenty of camps , showcases for kids to show their talent and get noticed. To many selfish people out to improve their situation at the expense of others and to few administrations/coaches who have the conscious to do whats right. It's very simple, if you don't like the coach, your team is lousy , you got into hot water at your school, you don't want to compete for your spot, or maybe you"ll get a scholarship at a more prominent school "you can transfer. Teaches kids nothing. If you transfer for whatever reason, you sit a year. Period.
CLUELESS!! I'm sure you think everyone should get a participation trophy also.

I didn't call him out. I said he was a good kid, bright, ranked top 5 in the class, and that maybe the administration overreacted. Simply saying he didn't leave because of the threat of closure like you inaccurately stated. Carry on...

I didn't call him out. I said he was a good kid, bright, ranked top 5 in the class, and that maybe the administration overreacted. Simply saying he didn't leave because of the threat of closure like you inaccurately stated. Carry on...

And now it starts with the Basketball season, Ricky calling out transfers in the preseason reviews. I see that PW has some more. Sorry I just don't see the need.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT