ADVERTISEMENT

Reverse the outcome of one past game

northalleghenytiger

Aug 22, 2022
If you had to change the outcome of a game what would it be? It could be a game you played in or watched

For me, It would be 2011 North Allegheny vs Central Dauphin PIAA semi-final. This game was tragic. NA lost 23-20 to the eventual state champion. If the outcome was reversed, I bet we would have won that state championship. Also, this year was in the middle of NA’s two state titles, meaning we would have won 3 in a row, tying CB West and St. Joes

NA was a nice team somewhat one dimensional with a "Leftwich only" attack, at least that day it was limited. CD had one of their quickest teams ever and super special teams that kept NA bottled up with booming 49 and 56-yard punts, then the field goal at end to win it.
Good game with two solid teams. Ditto North Penn. Flip it with all good stuff tho I thought at one point that year NA had the edge with Leftwich.

Reactions: LenEshmont
I've given this one a lot of thought. I think for Easton in the modern era, there are bunch of games that are defensible picks.

Honorable Mentions
I wouldn't take the 1991 Eastern Final against CB West, won by the Bucks 34-12. Easton and CB West were the #1 and #2 teams in the state and there was a lot of hype for the match up. But while the '91 squad was the best Easton team of the playoff era, and I think whoever won this game was going to win the final against Erie Cathedral Prep, Easton was just never in this game and it doesn't feel fair to flip the result, even if it gets Juan Gaddy a possible state championship as the greatest Easton player of the modern era.

It's also tempting to take the 1993 Eastern Final against CB West, won by the Bucks 6-3. This was a crazy game, with CB West scoring as time expired in the first half - they got stopped short of the goal line with the clock ticking, and hurried to the line and ran a QB sneak as the buzzer was sounding for the game's only touchdown. Easton turned it over in the red zone twice in the second half. If I get to wave a wand and make either of those a touchdown, Easton goes on to play North Hills, who needed a last minute score to beat CB West 15-14. All three teams were very evenly matched, but I don't take it because a win over CB West still gets Easton a coin flip game against Eric Kasperowicz, Lavar Arrington, and company.

The closest Easton's come to making it to Hersehy is the 2004 Eastern Final loss to Neshaminy, 21-14. Neshaminy broke a 14-14 tie with under a minute to play, Easton drove to the 8 yard line, and dropped the tying touchdown on the 2nd to last play of the game before throwing a desperation pick as time expired. Still, if I wave a magic wand and John Suozzo catches the TD and say Easton goes for 2 and gets it, reversing this result gets the Hersehy monkey off their back, but doesn't get them a title because 2004 Pittsburgh Central Catholic exists, and murdered this Neshaminy team and would have done something similar to Easton.

The 2000s version of the '91 CB West game is the 2003 Eastern Final against North Penn. North Penn was clearly the better team, though the 2003 Easton team was one of the three most talented Easton teams of the state playoff era. I think they could have beaten the '03 PCC team that North Penn ended up dispatching in the final, but that also is the underclassmen backbone of the '04 team that is one of the greatest of all time, so picking this one feels risky.

Easton's last great team is the 2014 squad that started 12-0, had a 2,100 yard, 42 TD season from Shane Simpson, and lost a brutally heartbreaking 13-10 overtime game to Parkland. A week later, Parkland lost 34-31 to St. Joseph's Prep, with D'Andre Swift scoring a long TD with four minutes left to play to beat the Trojans. Easton beat Parkland 28-21 during the season and held them to 86 yards of offense in the D11 title game loss. Easton had a pass tipped at the line and intercepted in overtime, then Parkland kicked a field goal immediately to win 13-10. Parkland's only touchdown came on a blocked punt in the first half, and they also booted a 45 yard field goal after a short Easton punt out of their own end zone. I think I very publicly melted down on this forum after that game. Magic wand wave those away, and Easton is an undefeated D11 champ that gets a crack at a St. Joseph's Prep team that Parkland gave everything they wanted. It also means that Steve Shiffert may have retired on top - the rumor was had they won he was planning to retire as Shane Simpson's career ended and he went to a final state playoff - rather than hang on an extra two years and have the ugly departure (which means maybe Easton hires Tim Moncman before he takes the Parkland job after 2015). But I don't think Easton matched up with SJP as well as Parkland did (mobile QB in Cross was the x-factor) and even if they pull that miracle, they still have to contend with Ben DiNucci's Pine-Richland team. Tempting for the Shiffert fallout, but no because I think this is the furthest from leading to a state title.

The Actual Choices
The most painful Easton loss since state playoffs started is the 2009 PIAA Quarterfinal against LaSalle, won 17-14 by the eventual state champs from the PCL. East goes up 14-0 on the first two plays of the game, four inches of snow fall during the game. LaSalle gets a long TD drive, then an Easton fumbled kickoff to tie it at 14. LaSalle leans on Easton and plays keep away in the second half, and hits the most clutch kick in state playoff history, a 37 yard field goal in the snow for the only points of the second half. Easton gets tackled from behind on the final play of the first half inside the LaSalle 20 on a breakaway shovel pass, and Easton throws an interception at the LaSalle 10 on their final drive of the game. Wave a magic wand and have Justin Souders not miss his block on the guy that eventually catches Quron Hughes on the shovel pass, have Q not fumble the kick that leads to the second LaSalle touchdown, etc. and Easton wins the game. While this seems like the least sure thing because it's only a quarterfinal - LaSalle is the eventual state champ, and easily beats Ridley (35-7) and State College (24-7) in their next two games to hoist the trophy. I feel confident Easton would have similar results against those two teams, and this was their best path to a state title if I can reverse the outcome of the LaSalle game.

The other choice is the 2001 D11 championship game against Bethlehem Catholic. The 2001 team is the second best Easton team of the state playoff era, after the aforementioned '91 squad. They gave up 4 points per game headed into this game, with the best rush defense we've ever had. Becahi, of course, had an All State and future FBS quarterback and four Division I receivers/tight ends and lit up Easton through the air. However, if I get to flip this result, Easton goes into the 2001 state playoff bracket that we've discussed here before is the most wide open of the playoff era - at least 7 teams I think were good enough to win a state title that year. And Easton's path would have been - Cumberland Valley, Neshaminy, Woodland Hills. Wing-T, power running attack, quarterback option attack. No team that threw the ball more than 12 times a game, and certainly not the spread offense that Bethlehem Catholic threw at them. A path that played perfectly to their strengths, and certainly not a superteam in the bunch like '04 PCC, '91 CB West, '03 North Penn. Becahi lost to Cumberland Valley because they couldn't contain the Wing-T, but Easton's coaching staff bottled up an even more explosive version of it two years later in a PIAA playoff game. Then Neshaminy and Woodland Hills are both two crazy physical, low scoring, old school football games. Flipping this result gets Easton on a great path to win the state title.

In the end, I pick the 2009 LaSalle game. I don't think that Easton team is the best of the ones I listed. But I feel the most confident in them beating Ridley and State College, versus CV, Neshaminy, and Woodland Hills, to get the Red Rovers the title missing from the trophy case.

Addendum for a Weird Historical Change
If I could fix any other weird historical quirk, I'd put the 1990 Easton team into the state playoff. They were D11 champs, but didn't have enough power points in the four-team playoff era to qualify for the 4A tournament over Wilson West Lawn and Ridley. But that Easton team owned a thorough 27-7 beating of 3A champ Bethlehem Catholic, and after starting 1-2, won 10 straight to finish the season. They were excellent - with the core of the '91 team (Juan Gaddy, Mark Libiano, Steve Billman, Dean Jones, Joey Jones) that is amongst the most talented in school history, plus FCS wideout and state 100 meter finalist Bob Apgar as a big play wide receiver. They could have given Ridley or North Allegheny problems if they got the chance, but they got locked out by the old format that only gave out 1 bid amongst all of D11, D2, D4, and D3.

Other Lehigh Valley choices -
Bethlehem Catholic flips either the 1999 CB West game (the punt return) or the 2001 Cumberland Valley game (Becahi was the best team in the state that year, but choked in the fourth quarter). Or the 1994 Holy War with Allentown Central Catholic, so that it's Becahi with Dan Kendra getting the crack at Berwick.

Liberty flips the 2005 McKeesport game - that's the best Liberty team of the 3 finals in four years.

Parkland flips the 2015 Pittsburgh Central Catholic game - gets Jim Morgans a state championship at a second school in his final season as a head coach.

Whitehall flips the 2010 Easton D11 title game, then gets a crack at LaSalle in the quarterfinals. Runner-up is the shocking 1998 playoff loss to Parkland, or the 2013 playoff loss to Parkland when Saquon was a junior. EPC Fan, help on this one?

Freedom flips the 2021 PIAA quarterfinal against St. Joseph's Prep, lost 24-21 and becomes the first D11 team to beat the Hawks.

Allentown Central Catholic flips the 1994 Berwick state playoff game (dubbed the "Eastern Super Bowl" as both teams were in the top 10 in the country by the USA Today) to extend their 27 game winning streak and protect their #3 national ranking, and the Vikings roll to a second straight state championship.

Dieruff flips the 1996 D11 finals against Parkland to make the only state playoff appearance by an Allentown public school.

Nazareth stops Tim Wade on fourth down to flip the 2011 PIAA Quarterfinals and gives the Eagles a shot at a state final with a win over Coatesville, in a game that would have been 95-93 with those two passing attacks.

Emmaus flips one of their recent D11 finals loss to win their only championship in school history.

East Stroudsburg flips the 1995 PIAA quarterfinals loss to Plymouth-Whitemarsh. Gives James Mungro one more game on that magical run in his 3,089 yard season, and a very winnable game with Lower Dauphin to maybe be the only Monroe county team to make a state final.

Northampton flips their regular season loss in 1989 to give them enough power points to make the state playoffs over the Kerry Collins Wilson West Lawn team, and be the first D11 team to make the state tournament.

William Allen flips their regular season loss to Dieruff in 1992, which cost them the East Penn Conference title. They still dont' have enough power points to catch Cumberland Valley for one of the four state playoff spots after they beat Dieruff for the D11 title, but it gets their best team a double championship.

I think that's every good big school in the Valley?

About the SJP-Parkland and SJP-PR games in 2014. One major factor that affected SJP was the absence due to a knee injury of John Reid. He was probably the best hs db in the state that year and went on to play at Penn State and for a few years in the NFL. Both Parkland and P-R passed pretty successfully against SJP--PR was very successful--and it's almost certain they would have been less successful if Reid had played. It may also be the case that both Parkland and P-R were playing without a key injured player. The larger point is that injuries can make a bid difference, especially at the end of the season because they typically increase as the season goes on.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
Other Lehigh Valley choices -
Bethlehem Catholic flips either the 1999 CB West game (the punt return) or the 2001 Cumberland Valley game (Becahi was the best team in the state that year, but choked in the fourth quarter). Or the 1994 Holy War with Allentown Central Catholic, so that it's Becahi with Dan Kendra getting the crack at Berwick.

Liberty flips the 2005 McKeesport game - that's the best Liberty team of the 3 finals in four years.

Parkland flips the 2015 Pittsburgh Central Catholic game - gets Jim Morgans a state championship at a second school in his final season as a head coach.

Whitehall flips the 2010 Easton D11 title game, then gets a crack at LaSalle in the quarterfinals. Runner-up is the shocking 1998 playoff loss to Parkland, or the 2013 playoff loss to Parkland when Saquon was a junior. EPC Fan, help on this one?

Freedom flips the 2021 PIAA quarterfinal against St. Joseph's Prep, lost 24-21 and becomes the first D11 team to beat the Hawks.

Allentown Central Catholic flips the 1994 Berwick state playoff game (dubbed the "Eastern Super Bowl" as both teams were in the top 10 in the country by the USA Today) to extend their 27 game winning streak and protect their #3 national ranking, and the Vikings roll to a second straight state championship.

Dieruff flips the 1996 D11 finals against Parkland to make the only state playoff appearance by an Allentown public school.

Nazareth stops Tim Wade on fourth down to flip the 2011 PIAA Quarterfinals and gives the Eagles a shot at a state final with a win over Coatesville, in a game that would have been 95-93 with those two passing attacks.

Emmaus flips one of their recent D11 finals loss to win their only championship in school history.

East Stroudsburg flips the 1995 PIAA quarterfinals loss to Plymouth-Whitemarsh. Gives James Mungro one more game on that magical run in his 3,089 yard season, and a very winnable game with Lower Dauphin to maybe be the only Monroe county team to make a state final.

Northampton flips their regular season loss in 1989 to give them enough power points to make the state playoffs over the Kerry Collins Wilson West Lawn team, and be the first D11 team to make the state tournament.

William Allen flips their regular season loss to Dieruff in 1992, which cost them the East Penn Conference title. They still dont' have enough power points to catch Cumberland Valley for one of the four state playoff spots after they beat Dieruff for the D11 title, but it gets their best team a double championship.

I think that's every good big school in the Valley?
Wow you seem to have extensive knowledge of D11. Good post

About the SJP-Parkland and SJP-PR games in 2014. One major factor that affected SJP was the absence due to a knee injury of John Reid. He was probably the best hs db in the state that year and went on to play at Penn State and for a few years in the NFL. Both Parkland and P-R passed pretty successfully against SJP--PR was very successful--and it's almost certain they would have been less successful if Reid had played. It may also be the case that both Parkland and P-R were playing without a key injured player. The larger point is that injuries can make a bid difference, especially at the end of the season because they typically increase as the season goes on.
What would you choose? 2015 vs Lasalle? 2017? 2021? Or something other

Noel Brouse separated his shoulder against Easton and didn’t play against SJP that year. Not to Reid’s level, but he was their left tackle and defensive end (listed at 6’4 265 that year as a junior, so had a size element that the Parkland defensive front in particular didn’t really have), earned All State honors in 2015, and played FBS football at UConn. No Brouse was a big loss in their run defense (and run blocking), and certainly would have helped on that last drive. Again, he was nowhere near as good a player as Reid, so it doesn’t work as a 1-to-1 comparison, but on a team less deep than SJP, losing an all state and FBS caliber two way lineman is a pretty tough blow.

Wow you seem to have extensive knowledge of D11. Good post
It’s a hobby.

If I’m picking pre-state playoff era for Easton, it’s definitely the 1967 Phillipsburg game, which finished in a 0-0 tie. That was the final game of legendary head coach Bob Rute’s career, and a win makes the Rovers 10-0 rather than 9-0-1 and gives them a legitimate claim at a mythical state title in Rute’s final season after out scoring their opposition 384-78, including a 34-14 win over fellow Saylor top 10 team Pennsbury. Plus it erases the sting of Rute going out with P’Burg stealing away a chance at a perfect season in his final campaign. Easton obviously would go undefeated and claim the ‘68 crown the following year.

Runner-up to the 1987 D11 title game, where Easton got upset by Lehighton 12-0 while nationally ranked by USA Today and in the midst of a school record 18 game winning streak.

St. Joseph’s Prep has to take the 2015 LaSalle game, right? Or one of the years in the 2000s where they beat LaSalle during the season and lost in the playoffs?

I can’t really remember and I cant find anything online. Regardless, still so close
They weren't down several starters. Pete Kugler had been injured the preceding game vs State. Will say everyone was patched up and hurting that time of the season!
Their WOW team was the following year where they had a truly great team winning it all undefeated with most of their key people back from the 11 team. Would like to have seen that team go up against St. Joe's but LaSalle beat them to the punch by a point. That was a sweet SJP team!

I don’t know the D11 small schools as well, but here are some that are both high stakes and realistic.

Northern Lehigh wins the Darrelle Revis game and the 2003 state championship in 2A, which contrary to legend, was a 32-27 game and Aliquippa needed every one of those Revis super human plays to beat a very good Bulldog team.

Pen Argyl completes their final pass in the end zone with 1:27 left instead of throwing a pick and wins the 2001 state championship over Washington.

Northwestern Lehigh overcomes Mount Carmel in the 2002 Eastern Final and makes their only state final.

Wilson beats South Park in the 2005 state final and goes back-to-back in ‘05 and ‘06.

Bangor beats Wilson for the 2008 D11 championship to end the Warriors dynasty a year early and make their only state playoff appearance.

I don’t think there are any D11 small school people on this board, but this is what I’ve got. A lot of the other schools have “got beaten by Imhotep, West Catholic, or Wood by 1,000” which doesn’t feel like a flipable game, despite how good the 2015 Saucon Valley team was.

I've said this before but i'll say it again. The State Semi final in 2019 Against St. Joes. If our defense just held on a little longer they would have been state champions.

I've said this before but i'll say it again. The State Semi final in 2019 Against St. Joes. If our defense just held on a little longer they would have been state champions.

Hold my beer.

In 2019, if Meckler catches punt at 50 yard line in 4th quarter with P-R ahead of PCC 7-3 at Heinz Field, P-R (might) win another championship!

For my alma mater I'd have to say losing the '99 state championship game vs Tyrone 13-6. Could have been a different story with a healthy Nick Sebes who broke his hand a few weeks earlier but it wasn't meant to be. Regardless, Tyrone was a solid team that year and deserved the win.

For my alma mater I'd have to say losing the '99 state championship game vs Tyrone 13-6. Could have been a different story with a healthy Nick Sebes who broke his hand a few weeks earlier but it wasn't meant to be. Regardless, Tyrone was a solid team that year and deserved the win.
Then that ruins the incredible “state champion every other year” pattern!

• Haha
Reactions: LenEshmont
Harrison's catch of a pass thrown by the scrambling sub QB (Cooper)--playing because McCord was injured--with his foot about an inch inside the back of the endzone on a 4th and about 15 has to be the single most dramatic play in the history of PA state playoffs, even though it was in a semi-final game.

Not only was McCord not playing that day because of injury but Jeremiah Trotter JR. and their best DB that year, Anthony Rightley, were also out--though you can never say for sure how the game might have been different. Maybe McCord would have thrown an INT and fumbled at a crucial moment. SJP's Cris Whitney was a great hs QB but in his last game (against LaSalle in the 2006 PCL championship) he fumbled on the goal line and had at least one other turnover in a huge upset. (LaSalle won 14-7.)

Reactions: newport
Two big ones that stick in my head is the 2017 Harrisburg team losing to governor Mifflin and ruining the wood Harrisburg rematch from the year before. That Harrisburg team was loaded, lead by Micah Parsons, and beat Imhotep pretty easily in the season opener. I thought Harrisburg had a chance of beating wood that year. The following year Harrisburg blew Coatesvilles rematch with sjp from the year before. Coatesville lost a close one to sjp in the eastern finals and returned most their team in 18. Coatesville beat Harrisburg pretty easily in the season opener only to have Harrisburg beat them in the quarter finals.

It’s a hobby.

If I’m picking pre-state playoff era for Easton, it’s definitely the 1967 Phillipsburg game, which finished in a 0-0 tie. That was the final game of legendary head coach Bob Rute’s career, and a win makes the Rovers 10-0 rather than 9-0-1 and gives them a legitimate claim at a mythical state title in Rute’s final season after out scoring their opposition 384-78, including a 34-14 win over fellow Saylor top 10 team Pennsbury. Plus it erases the sting of Rute going out with P’Burg stealing away a chance at a perfect season in his final campaign. Easton obviously would go undefeated and claim the ‘68 crown the following year.

Runner-up to the 1987 D11 title game, where Easton got upset by Lehighton 12-0 while nationally ranked by USA Today and in the midst of a school record 18 game winning streak.

St. Joseph’s Prep has to take the 2015 LaSalle game, right? Or one of the years in the 2000s where they beat LaSalle during the season and lost in the playoffs?
You mentioned the 2015 la salle team I think they got robbed against parkland where the refs gave parkland a pass interference call where the receiver had no chance of catching the ball. That call cost them the game. Should have been PCC and la salle in Hershey.

Reactions: lilromeo
I can’t really remember and I cant find anything online. Regardless, still so close
I thought the 2015 NA could have won states that year. They gave the 2015 PCC team thier only loss of the season and lost the rematch in the playoffs. 2011 NA barley got by USC in the wpial championship and I think dakoda conwell USC QB and best player was injured for that game. Had he played that game could have ended differently.

Last edited:
Two big ones that stick in my head is the 2017 Harrisburg team losing to governor Mifflin and ruining the wood Harrisburg rematch from the year before. That Harrisburg team was loaded, lead by Micah Parsons, and beat Imhotep pretty easily in the season opener. I thought Harrisburg had a chance of beating wood that year. The following year Harrisburg blew Coatesvilles rematch with sjp from the year before. Coatesville lost a close one to sjp in the eastern finals and returned most their team in 18. Coatesville beat Harrisburg pretty easily in the season opener only to have Harrisburg beat them in the quarter finals.
You’d take that one over the 2007 Pittsburgh Central Catholic game where they held the Vikings to 79 yards and lost? The best team of the George Chaump run with Cameron Artis-Payne and Adrian Robinson, would have been favored against a Parkland team PCC beat 21-0.

You’d take that one over the 2007 Pittsburgh Central Catholic game where they held the Vikings to 79 yards and lost? The best team of the George Chaump run with Cameron Artis-Payne and Adrian Robinson, would have been favored against a Parkland team PCC beat 21-0.
Forgot about that team and youre right 07 is another one. Another team that comes to mind is the 99 woodland hills team. Ed hinkel caught a pass with his toes on the sideline under a minute in the game to win that game. Woodland hills had some chances at the end to win. That game was back and forth and ecp had to complete a 4th and long on their final drive. Everyone is big on the 01 and 02 woodland hills teams but I think the 99 team was their best. I think 99 had the best quad A teams that year. Parkland, woodland hills, Bethlehem Catholic, ecp, North Penn and cb west all could have beaten one another.

I thought the 2015 NA could have won states that year. They gave the 2015 PCC team thier only loss of the season and lost the rematch in the playoffs. 2011 NA barley got by USC in the wpial championship and I think dakoda conwell USC QB and best player was injured for that game. Had he played that game could have ended differently.
Yes tough one in 2015. PCC was very talented

Forgot about that team and youre right 07 is another one. Another team that comes to mind is the 99 woodland hills team. Ed hinkel caught a pass with his toes on the sideline under a minute in the game to win that game. Woodland hills had some chances at the end to win. That game was back and forth and ecp had to complete a 4th and long on their final drive. Everyone is big on the 01 and 02 woodland hills teams but I think the 99 team was their best. I think 99 had the best quad A teams that year. Parkland, woodland hills, Bethlehem Catholic, ecp, North Penn and cb west all could have beaten one another.
Late 90s early 2000s Woodland Hills might be the most overrated teams ever

I think 99 had the best quad A teams that year. Parkland, woodland hills, Bethlehem Catholic, ecp, North Penn and cb west all could have beaten one another.
At the end of the regular season, CB West, Erie Cathedral Prep, and Parkland (plus 3A Strath Haven) were all nationally ranked.

Then in the playoffs, you had insanely close games from the top competitors.

-Easton beats Parkland 7-6
-Bethlehem Catholic beats Easton 21-20 on a stopped two point conversion.
-CB West returns a punt for a TD with three minutes left to break a 14-14 tie with Bethlehem Catholic
-Erie Cathedral Prep scores with 1:27 left to beat Woodland Hills 27-23
-CB West blocks a punt for a TD to beat Erie Cathedral Prep 14-13 in the state final.

You also had a 9-1 Glen Mills team that beat Becahi, but got locked out of the playoffs due to a loss to St. Ignatius (the D1 champs in Ohio) and North Penn-CB West was a 17-7 game in the regular season finale and a 21-0 game in the playoffs.

Mike Mischler said 99 Woodland Hills was better than CB West

sour grapes maybe, but that is what he said

what if CB West won a 4th state title in a row in 2000?

would that have changed their future, or was Pettine leaving the year before the beginning of the end?

Mike Mischler said 99 Woodland Hills was better than CB West

sour grapes maybe, but that is what he said
Mischler didnt have to face Dustin Picciotti all state Tailback due to an injury at the beginning of the game. West would have been a more explosive offense if he were not injured.

Mischler didnt have to face Dustin Picciotti all state Tailback due to an injury at the beginning of the game. West would have been a more explosive offense if he were not injured.
ECP gets no credit for knocking him out of the game?

they punched the bully in the mouth and sent him home

ECP gets no credit for knocking him out of the game?

they punched the bully in the mouth and sent him home
He twisted his ankle and BTW West won so looks like he went home a winner.ECP didnt knock him out of the game.

what if CB West won a 4th state title in a row in 2000?

would that have changed their future, or was Pettine leaving the year before the beginning of the end?
West lost two of the great HS coaches in PA history with Pettine and Carey leaving. Then they lose their talent pool with CB South opening. Carey winning a 4th straight wouldn't have mattered unless he chose to stay after that. Even if he sticks around, once South opens it's a whole new ballgame.

West lost two of the great HS coaches in PA history with Pettine and Carey leaving. Then they lose their talent pool with CB South opening. Carey winning a 4th straight wouldn't have mattered unless he chose to stay after that. Even if he sticks around, once South opens it's a whole new ballgame.
Is the game West would like to flip the 1988 thanksgiving tie with CB East? A win puts them in the first state tournament (that Pettine helped lobby for) and they almost assuredly would have beaten Cedar Cliff and PCC?

Or is it the ‘96 game with PW?

Is the game West would like to flip the 1988 thanksgiving tie with CB East? A win puts them in the first state tournament (that Pettine helped lobby for) and they almost assuredly would have beaten Cedar Cliff and PCC?

Or is it the ‘96 game with PW?
I'd pick the East game, for the fact that 1. it was East and 2. I'm sure Coach wanted (and maybe expected) that first state title.

As for all those Easton games you've noted... will be fun to have those games back next year even if they are week zero.

I'd pick the East game, for the fact that 1. it was East and 2. I'm sure Coach wanted (and maybe expected) that first state title.

As for all those Easton games you've noted... will be fun to have those games back next year even if they are week zero.
That’s what I thought.

And they definitely will (if we are actually any good). The home-and-home in ‘03 and ‘04 were a ton of fun, and kick started two excellent Easton years. When we have scheduling flexibility, we’ve done a nice job getting games with historical significance - CB West, Pennsbury, Altoona, Northeast coming up. Right way to do it.

The 1st play of the game - Picciotti completely flattens Bob Sanders in comic book fashion. If he doesn't hurt his ankle, CB West wins comfortably. Not saying it's 40-0, but the game doesn't stay close.
And people forget that other backs also got hurt and West finished the game with a 4th string player in the backfield.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT