ADVERTISEMENT

Prep vs Coatesville

Wait what? I get the grumbling of public vs recruiting schools. As has been pointed out there are more than enough questionable situations at public schools where things are stretched etc. It doesn't equate to being able to pick all your players. So we all understand the advantage. However I don't understand this comment at all.

Infante and Devlin have proved also to be very good coaches. There are a lot of good coaches. The two guys they went against last night Ortega and Clark are excellent. The coaching in this area is pretty strong right now across the board. A lot of great programs. You know who else would be exposed at Truman, Bensalem, and Tennent. Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichek and Jesus Christ himself. The talent isn't good enough there compared to these teams. This fantasy that coaching is the ultimate reason for winning and losing the majority of these games is crazy for those of us who have been in the profession. As a HS coach even the best of coaches would tell you that in a given year they might be able to steal one and a year of blue snow two from a team better than them.

While most won't believe it Infante correctly assessed that Coatesville was tough matchup. Coatesville's offense is more athletic on the outside then them. Quite frankly Coatesville might be more athletic than anyone in state offensively. Everyone overreacted to Garnet Valley performance. Garnet Valley guy also an amazing coach and did great job in that one. Coatesville one of the best offenses on this side of state over last ten years. The fastest team I have seen over that period and the QB is a winner, a real coaches kid.

Now everyone will overreact to Prep defense performance and say Pine Richland will kill them. Won't happen. Prep secondary will match up better with Pine Richland then Coatesville. PR won't be as athletic outside. The X factor is the the QB will be the best they have seen by far Prep won't give up 49 to them. Going to be great game. Would not want to play this defense after giving up 49. In fact in traveling around and watching these games at different levels I'm beyond impressed who well coached most of these teams are both from a plan and adjustment basis. SEPA has closed that gap significantly over past 15 years compared to other parts of state. No more Double tight wing and if we can't physically beat the hell out of you we are done frauds running around anymore. Still a couple of those guys at top programs on other side of state.

I think coaching does help truman is better and so is bensalem than they have been in the past.The players on Wood ,Prep Lasalle etc may not be D1 football but they maybe D1 lacrosse ,baseball wrestling track.
just like swifts backup was a wrestler and herron from lasalle was a great baseball player Etc .Size speed ratio is the diffrence if you dont think so
your crazy, now all these guys can coach there is no doubt You wont ever know if they leave they will leave for similar type jobs

Wait what? I get the grumbling of public vs recruiting schools. As has been pointed out there are more than enough questionable situations at public schools where things are stretched etc. It doesn't equate to being able to pick all your players. So we all understand the advantage. However I don't understand this comment at all.

Infante and Devlin have proved also to be very good coaches. There are a lot of good coaches. The two guys they went against last night Ortega and Clark are excellent. The coaching in this area is pretty strong right now across the board. A lot of great programs. You know who else would be exposed at Truman, Bensalem, and Tennent. Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichek and Jesus Christ himself. The talent isn't good enough there compared to these teams. This fantasy that coaching is the ultimate reason for winning and losing the majority of these games is crazy for those of us who have been in the profession. As a HS coach even the best of coaches would tell you that in a given year they might be able to steal one and a year of blue snow two from a team better than them.

While most won't believe it Infante correctly assessed that Coatesville was tough matchup. Coatesville's offense is more athletic on the outside then them. Quite frankly Coatesville might be more athletic than anyone in state offensively. Everyone overreacted to Garnet Valley performance. Garnet Valley guy also an amazing coach and did great job in that one. Coatesville one of the best offenses on this side of state over last ten years. The fastest team I have seen over that period and the QB is a winner, a real coaches kid.

Now everyone will overreact to Prep defense performance and say Pine Richland will kill them. Won't happen. Prep secondary will match up better with Pine Richland then Coatesville. PR won't be as athletic outside. The X factor is the the QB will be the best they have seen by far Prep won't give up 49 to them. Going to be great game. Would not want to play this defense after giving up 49. In fact in traveling around and watching these games at different levels I'm beyond impressed who well coached most of these teams are both from a plan and adjustment basis. SEPA has closed that gap significantly over past 15 years compared to other parts of state. No more Double tight wing and if we can't physically beat the hell out of you we are done frauds running around anymore. Still a couple of those guys at top programs on other side of state.
With Truman making the playoffs this year mean that there coaching staff is better than Belichick, Lombardi, and JC? What recruiting goes on at District 1 Public Schools, please tell.

I have seen both teams play and watching the games I agree Infante is a good coach. Devlin still has Carey helping out, so he's hard to judge. As the Unionville coach said, they look like West and not just the color of their uniforms. At this level you do better with a lot of Division II players then you do with a couple division I players. Barkley, Penn State and Adams ND. didn't play on league,District, or state championship teams and many of the players in next weeks state title games will not play football again.

Reactions: lilromeo
All - It was clear that Coatesville had the greater talent. I’m sorry but the so called Recruiting/Transfer did not decide the game. It was coaching. Infante and staff have been there more. Ortega is already up with Coaching legends Al Black, Mike Dominick and Jack Helm who I believe all are in PA football hall of fame. I hope he stays and brings the Red Raiders to greater heights

Pipe down ... choke job? Go back to the eternal PR thread. Coatesville was lightning at multiple positions. They are well coached and seemed to stray from their game plan. Prep made some adjustments and was very fortunate to pull this out. In the end, it's about making plays. PR is the favorite but I think they should still play the game.

Sorry but holding a 28-10 lead then giving up 54 (or whatever the number was) unanswered points is called choking. They had that one and let it go. Also PR may not be favorite right now jurkovec has been very sick along with others and their offensive line play has been sloppy.

Sorry but holding a 28-10 lead then giving up 54 (or whatever the number was) unanswered points is called choking.

Tough to give up 54 unanswered to a team that only scored 53 in the game LOL!

Actually, Coatesville gave up 28 points in a row, but then scored the last 14. If Coatesville gets the second onside kick (and it was close) with 2:32 left and a timeout, I think they win that game. So I personally would not call it choking, but just the way the ball bounced (literally, as in the low punt snap and bad bounce-lateral that both led to very short field Prep TDs).

Reactions: chiefredraider
The one thing we can say is Coatesville is winning with its own talent and most of the all th other pubs can’t say that!

Chesmont

Are you telling me there is nothing out of the ordinary at Ville. How old is the Qb and what grade is he in for example
I could be wrong but I thought 17 and a soph

Chesmont

Are you telling me there is nothing out of the ordinary at Ville. How old is the Qb and what grade is he in for example
Coaches son is QB. I heard he’s a little cocky but hell.. he majorly improved. He’s only a sophomore and I believe is only 15 or 16. I’m not aware of any current issues. Coatesvilles biggest issue is it an urban school district w many kids w from single parents and behavior issues more amplified than most other PA districts. Gonna take a certain coach and Mr Ortega has done it. In my opinion Coatesville is one of top 3 District 1 programs over last 10 years and maybe all time as they will be the first District 1 to eclipse 700 wins next year and so many Chesmont championships, several D1 championships and many players who went to NFL

Reactions: chiefredraider
Coaches son is QB. I heard he’s a little cocky but hell.. he majorly improved. He’s only a sophomore and I believe is only 15 or 16. I’m not aware of any current issues. Coatesvilles biggest issue is it an urban school district w many kids w from single parents and behavior issues more amplified than most other PA districts. Gonna take a certain coach and Mr Ortega has done it. In my opinion Coatesville is one of top 3 District 1 programs over last 10 years and maybe all time as they will be the first District 1 to eclipse 700 wins next year and so many Chesmont championships, several D1 championships and many players who went to NFL

I can understand there issues what Im saying you can pump up your team without throwing other publics under the bus . And I was wrong I actually think hes 18 from what I have heard second hand. Just saying all these top public coaches do what they have to to compete .

With Truman making the playoffs this year mean that there coaching staff is better than Belichick, Lombardi, and JC? What recruiting goes on at District 1 Public Schools, please tell.

Last year a district one finalist had a QB who no more lived in their district than man on moon. Took an address of a one bedroom rental. Minute he was out of eligibility it was rented to a lacrosse kid from out of town. Lots of this happening. Don’t be naive.

Your original comment missed the mark. You want the narrative to be Infante and Devlin are roll the balls out type coaches. It’s not remotely close to true. They would be good wherever. However if they play a team with better talent that other team likely going to win. Players win games. It’s also obvious that if you can pick the players versus not pick the players that is an advantage.

Reactions: lilromeo
00shoe is one of those posters that I can't wait to see what he says next. Never met him, and he probably goes back further than me. I do appreciate his knowledge of the old Bucks-Mont, LBCL, and SOL.

That said, I will say he probably forgets that CB-West lost the initial D1 Championship game in 1992 to Coatesville 29-12 which ended West's modest 29 game unbeaten streak.
Coatesville also beat CB West at West ending thier 28 game win streak in the mid 70’s

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Cmon, the kid is aged appropriately. He played Little Quakers at an appropriate age. Could be be on the old side? I guess, but cmon not 17 or 18. The kid is a real coaches kid. These next two years are Coatesville's run. I expect a great game for them vs Prep next year also in the semi's. We will look back and talk about what fantastic teams and games they were. Much like we look back fondly on that LS/NP semi.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Chesmont

He's a sophomore, and will be 17 next month.

That's 1 year older than his classmates,no big thing for next year.My 2 grandsons are in 9th grade and just turned 15.
You are correct, it's no big deal. Some people like to make it a big deal, but there isn't anything wrong with it.

July 1st 2000 would be cutoff date for eligibility in 2019 PIAA football season 2020 graduating class. Sounds like he is either a 12/00 or 1/01 birthday based upon other posts. I have no knowledge. He is eligible by almost a half year. Some youth leagues use 12/1 of the year instead of 7/1. So reading the tea leaves he probably is exactly as old as you can be to compete in certain youth leagues but he may have played in something different again no knowledge of particular situation.

In today's world not at all unusual. Quite frankly by the time they are seniors it's all out in the wash. When they are younger its a huge advantage. For example in 7th and 8th grade football you could have a 12/00 eighth grader playing in 2015 against a 8/03 seventh grader. Throw puberty in there etc and you get some insane situations. He's on the old end for sure but far from being ineligible. He will play against kids older than him in his grade and occasionally someone 18 months younger. These teams are littered with kids in this exact scenario and they are essentially what back in the old days we would consider hold backs but something that happens fairly regularly now. Not too many kids graduating at 17 these days but still some.

Might not even be a hold back, depending on what the school district policy was in first grade( not sure what school district he lived in back then). But typically, January kids are either the youngest or oldest in the class depending on start dates and school district policy.

Speed unless I’m missing something I’ve never heard of a public district who would have kids graduate at 19 on their normal year. Again could be wrong. September always been the “guideline” I’m used to. That would mean half graduating class would be 19 years old. To me anyone graduating at 19 is a hold back but I may be technically incorrect.

For years people have registered their kids at what was once thought of as "normal". If a kid was on the edge with a birthday the parents entered them early. That trend has changed. Kids are entering kindergarten later, and if there is a question, they wait. If the child is from an athletic family, then all the more reason to be conservative in entering the child in kindergarten. This is not what you would consider normal GG, but I think it will become much more part of the norm. Nothing to see here.

GG : not really a have to , but an option, depending on the school district and parents. You just start kindergarten / first grade one year later.

I thought about holding my son back for Kindergarten but his pre-school teacher said he was ready for it from a develoomental/academic standpoint. That’s really all I cared about. If i held him back then he would have turned 19 in early May before graduating from HS 3-4 weeks later. I didn’t think that was a big deal. Last year as a Kindergarten kid he was the smallest, youngest kid (By 3-8 months on average) of the 16 kids on his flag football team. At the end of the day I get that an extra year could create an advantage or benefits in some ways, but I didn’t want to mess with it. Just took a natural approach, I guess.

Reactions: MC1975
I thought about holding my son back for Kindergarten but his pre-school teacher said he was ready for it from a develoomental/academic standpoint. That’s really all I cared about. If i held him back then he would have turned 19 in early May before graduating from HS 3-4 weeks later. I didn’t think that was a big deal. Last year as a Kindergarten kid he was the smallest, youngest kid (By 3-8 months on average) of the 16 kids on his flag football team. At the end of the day I get that an extra year could create an advantage or benefits in some ways, but I didn’t want to mess with it. Just took a natural approach, I guess.
One year less to wait to become an empty nester

Truman only going to get better. Once they get their entire offensive system installed, look out. This year was just a sample of their offensive capability. Only had about 60% of the offense in.

Might not even be a hold back, depending on what the school district policy was in first grade( not sure what school district he lived in back then). But typically, January kids are either the youngest or oldest in the class depending on start dates and school district policy.
I'm almost 100% sure it was a hold back in middle school, along with some of his classmates/teammates too. It is what it is. If it's within the rules, then there isn't anything wrong with it. Even if he was supposed to be a junior this year, those are some pretty impressive stats/accomplishments for a junior.

There is a compelling study that shows the birthdates of MLB players are skewed dramatically to what you would consider late graduates. Not sure what NFL or NBA stats are but would not be surprised to see similar. If you are an athletic family, err on the side of later. It's a game changer backed by stats.

ADVERTISEMENT