ADVERTISEMENT

Prep vs Coatesville

28-25 Ville. Prep looks like Prep in the 2nd half. Should be a great finish

Prep woke up and rolled CVille. They do look vulnerable to a good attack like PR has though.

On sides kick recovered and Bryant from Ortega again set up a TD by Simmons after a 4th and 20 conversion (Bryant from Ortega) 53-49.

Great game, but Prep is in victory formation as the clock is running out on Coatesville. This game could easily have gone the other way. Turnovers and a drop cost Coatesville a win here.

Listened to the broadcast and what an absolute choke job by Coatseville. Seemed like they had multiple chances to put it away and then they made a crucial mistake everytime. Fourtunately they may have exposed SJP to PR, prep is gonna have their hands full with PR and jurkovec.

Last edited:
Great job, Coatesville! I’m very impressed they were able to take Prep down to the wire. Maybe next year is the year?

Great job, Coatesville! I’m very impressed they were able to take Prep down to the wire. Maybe next year is the year?
Incredible game! Great effort by C-Ville against a really powerful and talented Prep. Sat behind some Prep fans who were possibly the most obnoxious I have seen and heard in a long time! Too bad they were like that cause their team is really top notch.

Incredible game! Great effort by C-Ville against a really powerful and talented Prep. Sat behind some Prep fans who were possibly the most obnoxious I have seen and heard in a long time! Too bad they were like that cause their team is really top notch.

Those fans must have been related to the SJP announcers.

Reactions: newport
Listened to the broadcast and what an absolute choke job by Coatseville. Seemed like they had multiple chances to put it away and then they made a crucial mistake everytime. Fourtunately they may have exposed SJP to PR, prep is gonna have their hands full with PR and jurkovec.
Pipe down ... choke job? Go back to the eternal PR thread. Coatesville was lightning at multiple positions. They are well coached and seemed to stray from their game plan. Prep made some adjustments and was very fortunate to pull this out. In the end, it's about making plays. PR is the favorite but I think they should still play the game.

Well coached! They gave up 43 points in a half, 6 or 7 TD? They couldn't adjust? Forget next year, historically CV never wins a big game, always a brides maid. 5 schools at this level have won state titles from district one, never Cv. never will. Talented, entertaining but never can win the big one.

Sat behind some Prep fans who were possibly the most obnoxious I have seen and heard in a long time!

APboy, maybe I was sitting near you. Was there with my son and his girlfriend. Wasn't going to post about it but I have to second your observation. They were a very entertaining side show to us!

Roxy, there are no adjustments for a CV receiver dropping a sure TD pass. Wasn't there, but were the two turnovers forced or CV blunders?

Well coached! They gave up 43 points in a half, 6 or 7 TD? They couldn't adjust? Forget next year, historically CV never wins a big game, always a brides maid. 5 schools at this level have won state titles from district one, never Cv. never will. Talented, entertaining but never can win the big one.

Were you in a coma in 2012?

Why did Coatesville throw a bounce pass at their own 20? That turnover changed the momentum. Feel bad for #6 and the dropped TD pass-he was incredible tonight. Will be fun to watch him, Ortega and Young next season.

Roxy, there are no adjustments for a CV receiver dropping a sure TD pass. Wasn't there, but were the two turnovers forced or CV blunders?
Two picks by SJP, one returned to C-vile 10, a muffed punt by C-vile that I thought he had time to kick it and initially profiled as a fake which seemed bizarre from own 10 and the lateral pass for fumble ... I'm not sure of your context, but C-vile seemed to go way off their game plan when things were still working - granted, SJP made adjustments but they were aided by some strange calls.

Were you in a coma in 2012?

00shoe is one of those posters that I can't wait to see what he says next. Never met him, and he probably goes back further than me. I do appreciate his knowledge of the old Bucks-Mont, LBCL, and SOL.

That said, I will say he probably forgets that CB-West lost the initial D1 Championship game in 1992 to Coatesville 29-12 which ended West's modest 29 game unbeaten streak.

APboy, maybe I was sitting near you. Was there with my son and his girlfriend. Wasn't going to post about it but I have to second your observation. They were a very entertaining side show to us!
Entertaining alright! “F” words flying from the ladies and “G..D...” about their own coaches all night! It was like “The Soprano’s” up there!

Relayer, you are correct about 1992, and then CV went on to loose to John Ritchie and Cumberland valley. West beat CV the next year and CV had 4 division one players. CV. had the best team, West had the best coach. West lost the state final to North Hills in the last minute. Did CV. win a state title in 2012? No, how many points did they give up in the state title game? You can go back to the Al Black days at CV., always talented, just can't finish.

00shoe is one of those posters that I can't wait to see what he says next. Never met him, and he probably goes back further than me. I do appreciate his knowledge of the old Bucks-Mont, LBCL, and SOL.

That said, I will say he probably forgets that CB-West lost the initial D1 Championship game in 1992 to Coatesville 29-12 which ended West's modest 29 game unbeaten streak.
I was at that game! CB West had that big full back and everyone said they were unbeatable

Admittedly, I didn't see most of the first half, but picked up the blogpost radio broadcast when it was already 14-3 'Ville. I watched the entire second half on the livestream. SJP was fortunate to escape with a victory as the Red Raiders had no issues moving the ball on the Prep's vaunted D. The Prep was able to get pressure on Ortega, but he was very elusive and was able to find receivers time after time. He was accurate at times and, other times, he just put it up there and let his athletic receivers make a play. #6 put on a show and the Young brothers are as good as advertised. Ortega deserves a lot of credit as he played a hell of a game.

As much as their O dominated this game, their D could not stop the Prep. At times, they seemed to bottle up the Prep's running game, but were very susceptible to McCray taking off up the middle and there was questionable tackling throughout the game.

IMHO, there were a few critical moments (most have already been mentioned) as follows:

1.) The dropped pass by #6 was a killer. I hope he doesn't hang his head because he almost single-handedly won that game for 'Ville. Lost in the drop was just how amazing that play was. Ortega was under massive pressure, kept the play alive with his legs, and made a remarkably accurate through down the field.

2.) The backward pass was a questionable/risky call at that point in the game. It was a close game, the Raiders were deep in their territory, and the Prep was giving them the short 3-5 yard routes as they were playing back for fear of receivers getting behind them.

3.). I've been saying all year that this is the best Prep secondary I've seen. The Raiders receivers made them look ordinary and routinely got behind them or outmuscled and/or outjumped them on 50/50 balls. This is not to knock the Prep D...just taking my hat off to a better receiving corps.

4.) The Prep benefitted from lots of penalties charged to 'Ville in the second half. Some were self-inflicted, including several false starts. There was a really interesting 15 yard penalty called on the Raiders sideline for not staying far enough back. It came at a pivotal time when they had pinned the Prep back at their own 5 after a great punt (the Raiders' first punt of the night). The Prep got a nice 11-yard run from the 5, then got lots of breathing room from the additional 15 tacked on. You hate to see these type of killer penalties when they don't even occur on the field.

5.) The Prep went to the end zone on a 3rd and long in the second half. The streaming video seemed to indicate a touchdown as it looked as though the receiver caught the ball, but then dropped it as he hit the ground on the slide out of bounds. The receiver, Cherry, was slow to get up and I was thinking that the Prep would be forced to kick a long field goal that would not have been a gimme. After the injury timeout, the announcer relayed a "pass interference" call that gave the Prep a manageable 3rd and 2. There was no replay on the streaming video, but just seemed like a surprising call that saved the Prep. Perhaps those who were in attendance can shed more light.

6.). I agree with Roxy, who mentioned that there seemed to be enough time for the Coatesville punter to get the punt off deep in their territory late in the 3rd quarter. This turnover on downs, coupled with a few other turnovers that gave the Prep excellent field position, ultimately gave them the opportunity to get the 43 second half points that the Hawks needed to win the game.

7.) The Red Raiders almost recovered the second straight onside kick and the Prep was again lucky that the ball squirted out of bounds. Something tells me that will be a focal point of Infante's practices this week.

Finally,

8.). The Raiders pressed a bit too much on the deep passing game in the second half, which led to the 2 interceptions. If they were more patient and had taken the underneath short throws that the Prep was giving them (and which their athletes were routinely turning into 6-7 yard gains), then the outcome would have been different.

Good luck to all Eastern PA teams that are still alive. Bring home the hardware for our side of the Commonwealth!!

Very exciting & entertaining game. Coatesville was not intimidated and left everything on the field. I can't wait til next year where I have no doubt we'll be seeing both teams playing in the same game!

Reactions: chiefredraider
I'm pretty sure the Prep's defense will play better next week. It'll have to if they are to have any chance against P-R. Actually, they've shown some vulnerability (e.g. against St. Peter's and in the first half of the first LaSalle game) against teams that can pass well. And everyone knows P-R has a great passing game.

I was feeling very pessimistic after Coatesville scored on its first possession of the second half last night, putting them up 28-10. But the Prep showed resilience and composure--until they seemed to lose focus when they went up by 18 in the middle of the fourth quarter.

Infante has proved that he is a great recruiter and builder of a program, maybe a better recruiter than Devlin. But with a extremely more talented team, three non-recruiting Public School teams in essence gave Prep three State Championships in the Eastern Final. ‘13 Neshaminy, ‘16 NP and this year. I think Infante is a good program developer, much like Devlin, but they are fortunate not to be HC’s at places like Truman, Bensalem, and Tennent. Where their deficiencies in X & O’s would be exposed.

Infante has proved that he is a great recruiter and builder of a program, maybe a better recruiter than Devlin. But with a extremely more talented team, three non-recruiting Public School teams in essence gave Prep three State Championships in the Eastern Final. ‘13 Neshaminy, ‘16 NP and this year. I think Infante is a good program developer, much like Devlin, but they are fortunate not to be HC’s at places like Truman, Bensalem, and Tennent. Where their deficiencies in X & O’s would be exposed.

You say much more talented. Can you name the kids on the Prep who are 1A players??I can think of 2. I know they have a few 1AA guys but do they have kids going to play in the Big 10? And don't drop Simmons name. He didn't play.

You make it seem like Ortega took Infante to the wire with the little sisters of the poor.

Coatesville is a very good team and gave Prep a great game. However they could not get past them and Prep will go to states. Coatesville absolutely destroyed Pennsbury and shut them out, Pennsbury blew out Neshaminy really shows the how weak the SOL national was this year. Funny I didn't see anyone on here slamming Pennsbury or Neshamny coaches after their embarrassing blowouts...BTW Infante and Devlin won, again.

Funny I didn't see anyone on here slamming Pennsbury or Neshamny coaches after their embarrassing blowouts...BTW Infante and Devlin won, again.
So true...They wouldn't even talk about Wood or Prep on this site until now !!!

Wait what? I get the grumbling of public vs recruiting schools. As has been pointed out there are more than enough questionable situations at public schools where things are stretched etc. It doesn't equate to being able to pick all your players. So we all understand the advantage. However I don't understand this comment at all.

Infante and Devlin have proved also to be very good coaches. There are a lot of good coaches. The two guys they went against last night Ortega and Clark are excellent. The coaching in this area is pretty strong right now across the board. A lot of great programs. You know who else would be exposed at Truman, Bensalem, and Tennent. Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichek and Jesus Christ himself. The talent isn't good enough there compared to these teams. This fantasy that coaching is the ultimate reason for winning and losing the majority of these games is crazy for those of us who have been in the profession. As a HS coach even the best of coaches would tell you that in a given year they might be able to steal one and a year of blue snow two from a team better than them.

While most won't believe it Infante correctly assessed that Coatesville was tough matchup. Coatesville's offense is more athletic on the outside then them. Quite frankly Coatesville might be more athletic than anyone in state offensively. Everyone overreacted to Garnet Valley performance. Garnet Valley guy also an amazing coach and did great job in that one. Coatesville one of the best offenses on this side of state over last ten years. The fastest team I have seen over that period and the QB is a winner, a real coaches kid.

Now everyone will overreact to Prep defense performance and say Pine Richland will kill them. Won't happen. Prep secondary will match up better with Pine Richland then Coatesville. PR won't be as athletic outside. The X factor is the the QB will be the best they have seen by far Prep won't give up 49 to them. Going to be great game. Would not want to play this defense after giving up 49. In fact in traveling around and watching these games at different levels I'm beyond impressed who well coached most of these teams are both from a plan and adjustment basis. SEPA has closed that gap significantly over past 15 years compared to other parts of state. No more Double tight wing and if we can't physically beat the hell out of you we are done frauds running around anymore. Still a couple of those guys at top programs on other side of state.

Wait what? I get the grumbling of public vs recruiting schools. As has been pointed out there are more than enough questionable situations at public schools where things are stretched etc. It doesn't equate to being able to pick all your players. So we all understand the advantage. However I don't understand this comment at all.

Infante and Devlin have proved also to be very good coaches. There are a lot of good coaches. The two guys they went against last night Ortega and Clark are excellent. The coaching in this area is pretty strong right now across the board. A lot of great programs. You know who else would be exposed at Truman, Bensalem, and Tennent. Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichek and Jesus Christ himself. The talent isn't good enough there compared to these teams. This fantasy that coaching is the ultimate reason for winning and losing the majority of these games is crazy for those of us who have been in the profession. As a HS coach even the best of coaches would tell you that in a given year they might be able to steal one and a year of blue snow two from a team better than them.

While most won't believe it Infante correctly assessed that Coatesville was tough matchup. Coatesville's offense is more athletic on the outside then them. Quite frankly Coatesville might be more athletic than anyone in state offensively. Everyone overreacted to Garnet Valley performance. Garnet Valley guy also an amazing coach and did great job in that one. Coatesville one of the best offenses on this side of state over last ten years. The fastest team I have seen over that period and the QB is a winner, a real coaches kid.

Now everyone will overreact to Prep defense performance and say Pine Richland will kill them. Won't happen. Prep secondary will match up better with Pine Richland then Coatesville. PR won't be as athletic outside. The X factor is the the QB will be the best they have seen by far Prep won't give up 49 to them. Going to be great game. Would not want to play this defense after giving up 49. In fact in traveling around and watching these games at different levels I'm beyond impressed who well coached most of these teams are both from a plan and adjustment basis. SEPA has closed that gap significantly over past 15 years compared to other parts of state. No more Double tight wing and if we can't physically beat the hell out of you we are done frauds running around anymore. Still a couple of those guys at top programs on other side of state.
Spot On!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT