ADVERTISEMENT

Prep, Imhotep, NG

Best game will probably be Imhotep v O'Hara ........Don't think Northeast have a chance in this one, but it'll be good to see how they come out.

Prep will win. Maybe, easily. Not sure how NE's one-dimensional offense will be able to score on the Hawks. NE's defense is pretty athletic and sturdy. They might throw up resistance. Tho, I think SJP's passing game could do some things here. Might be a slow, methodical death for the Vikings.

Imhotep has too much for O'Hara, but a expect the Lions to compete for a solid stretch of play. Imhotep's discipline issues and O'Hara's don't hurt themselves tendencies could keep it a little closer than one might expect. At the end of the day, I think IC wins rather comfortably.

N-G should win and possibly keep SH at arm's length throughout. Hard to tell how good SH is, tho. They lost their first four games of the year to teams in higher classes. Since then they have basically walked thru the last eight teams they have played. I suspect SH is down from last year, as they entered this game vs WC undefeated. NG needs to finish drives and lower the penalties. I don't see a blowout here, but possibly somewhat comfortable win for the Saints. Even if the final score doesn't depict it.

Prep will win. Maybe, easily. Not sure how NE's one-dimensional offense will be able to score on the Hawks. NE's defense is pretty athletic and sturdy. They might throw up resistance. Tho, I think SJP's passing game could do some things here. Might be a slow, methodical death for the Vikings.

Imhotep has too much for O'Hara, but a expect the Lions to compete for a solid stretch of play. Imhotep's discipline issues and O'Hara's don't hurt themselves tendencies could keep it a little closer than one might expect. At the end of the day, I think IC wins rather comfortably.

N-G should win and possibly keep SH at arm's length throughout. Hard to tell how good SH is, tho. They lost their first four games of the year to teams in higher classes. Since then they have basically walked thru the last eight teams they have played. I suspect SH is down from last year, as they entered this game vs WC undefeated. NG needs to finish drives and lower the penalties. I don't see a blowout here, but possibly somewhat comfortable win for the Saints. Even if the final score doesn't depict it.

Pretty accurate rundown Burrs! I think you're spot on in each class.

I see Prep winning and NE one dimensional offense stagnating their ability to utilize some good talent on that team. But hey, who are we to critique their offense that falters to tougher competition each year.

Tep does have to be mindful of the penalties. Ohara is a one player team. Santilla getting shut down and Tep will run the table as it will anyway.

NG again, as Tep will have to keep their discipline and not take points from off the board. I've seen tape from last years game versus WC. I think WC gave up points and field position too much. Also the WC QB did not take advantage of the average SH secondary. He tried to run too much. Which was effective in first half. WC never adjusted to SH running backs attacking the "C" gap. If the DEs crashed the C gap, the SH RBs don't have a lane to run. SH don't pull their linemen much, but allow they DE's toward the wingback side to rush outside. NG puts hats on #28 (40 carries last week)...and the SH defense is not that agile. NG run game should click. The NG passing game has the potential to open up, as I don't see SH secondary being able to cover the speed of NG receivers.

Speaking of #28, if I read this correctly fo SH, he has 291 carries for 2665 and 43 TD? What division they play? Or is he the next great running back? Those are big numbers in 12 games

Speaking of #28, if I read this correctly fo SH, he has 291 carries for 2665 and 43 TD? What division they play? Or is he the next great running back? Those are big numbers in 12 games

I believe he is only a sophomore. He played a lot last year as a freshman. I wonder what his numbers were in the games they lost this year. The 2A competition up there is much weaker than it was in the last cycle for the simple fact that there used to be more teams.

I see Prep winning and NE one dimensional offense stagnating their ability to utilize some good talent on that team. But hey, who are we to critique their offense that falters to tougher competition each year.

Tep does have to be mindful of the penalties. Ohara is a one player team. Santilla getting shut down and Tep will run the table as it will anyway.

NG again, as Tep will have to keep their discipline and not take points from off the board. I've seen tape from last years game versus WC. I think WC gave up points and field position too much. Also the WC QB did not take advantage of the average SH secondary. He tried to run too much. Which was effective in first half. WC never adjusted to SH running backs attacking the "C" gap. If the DEs crashed the C gap, the SH RBs don't have a lane to run. SH don't pull their linemen much, but allow they DE's toward the wingback side to rush outside. NG puts hats on #28 (40 carries last week)...and the SH defense is not that agile. NG run game should click. The NG passing game has the potential to open up, as I don't see SH secondary being able to cover the speed of NG receivers.

Owl, I'll add that I'm fairly certain that SH was a stronger team last year and that WC last year was weaker than it was this year, especially defensively. WC's D-Coord called an ill-advised timeout in the final thirty seconds of the half with the score 7-6. SH was running the ball and wasn't going to call timeout. Once WC did used the TO, SH went into their bag of tricks and hit them with like a 45-yard halfback pass. WC never recovered.

As far as O'Hara goes, Santilla is their best playmaker, but I think Jones is capable of moments and collectively they run a nice team approach. They will struggle to run the ball on IC. Their QB has gotten better. Also, on defense I think O'Hara uses a nice team approach, has some pretty good individuals in Gould, Redd, Wertz, etc, and they play together. Not sure if it's enough, tho. Probably not.

He's a system kid from what I see. He is a sophomore. The offense is vanilla. He is their vital organ. To say that, they lost their first 4 non-league games to teams that have not nearly the amount of athletes NG has on their roster. Their overall team speed is not that great. The kid runs a small set of plays. Those league wins on tape appear to be bully type ball where no one wants to tackle the kid. They run single and double wing but not an Army/Navy tempo. His favorite runs are off tackle. The opposing teams DEs run upfield outside of the wing backs and give the C to him easily. The LBs do a poor job of gap coverage. I saw a few good plays from Palmerton and they made great stops on those runs but were too inconsistent throughout the game. Palmerton passed the ball easily on SH, but again were not consistent.

NG should come out flying around on defense and their offense has to set the tone against a slower SH defense who does more arm tackling than full fits. SH league is weak IMO and this weekend they will have to face a machine.

Last edited:
Owl, I'll add that I'm fairly certain that SH was a stronger team last year and that WC last year was weaker than it was this year, especially defensively. WC's D-Coord called an ill-advised timeout in the final thirty seconds of the half with the score 7-6. SH was running the ball and wasn't going to call timeout. Once WC did used the TO, SH went into their bag of tricks and hit them with like a 45-yard halfback pass. WC never recovered.

As far as O'Hara goes, Santilla is their best playmaker, but I think Jones is capable of moments and collectively they run a nice team approach. They will struggle to run the ball on IC. Their QB has gotten better. Also, on defense I think O'Hara uses a nice team approach, has some pretty good individuals in Gould, Redd, Wertz, etc, and they play together. Not sure if it's enough, tho. Probably not.

What I see them doing is this week, is what they did against NG...dial up more trick plays. They don't stand a chance with Imhotep straight up. They used some crafty plays to throw off NG. Santilla is an athlete. I can see that they play a team oriented style, but they know they'll have their hands full tomorrow night. Imhotep will be the away team (I think) at their home field. I'm sure the kids will use that as motivation to jump on O'hara early and often.

IMO the ONLY way NG and TEP lose from now on is if they beat themselves with penalties. You know when either plays upstate they will be watched closely by the Refs so lets hope they score a bunch .

IMO the ONLY way NG and TEP lose from now on is if they beat themselves with penalties. You know when either plays upstate they will be watched closely by the Refs so lets hope they score a bunch .

If NG wins this week then they more than likely get a really good Southern Columbia team. Not sure they'd be the favorite in that one.

Imhotep should be the favorite until the state finals and Erie Cathdral Prep comes calling. Then, all bets are off.

Does southern Columbia have the same type of talent as NG burrs, or are they just a very good, and well coached team? I’m talking division 1A , type players

Does southern Columbia have the same type of talent as NG burrs, or are they just a very good, and well coached team? I’m talking division 1A , type players

Do they have as many potential D-1 players as NG? Probably not. Who are NG's clear cut D-1 players (Today) after Johnson, Barmore, and Brown? NG's talent probably lies in that they have a boatload of D-2 type guys, IMO. And there is nothing wrong with that because most HS teams can't boast that.

Anyway, I don't know SC's roster inside and out. They have a really, really good Sophomore WR who already has some D-1 offers. Yes, they are extremely well-coached and disciplined on most days. They have a capable QB, who has produced and a good sophomore RB. They returned a lot of talent from last year's state runner-up team.

Hey, I'm not saying NG can't win that game if they find themselves in it. I'm just not sure they'd be favorite. That SC team should be respected.

Sounds good, thanks I only asked cause I really only follow city teams, and mainly pcl teams

No problem. SC has a long history of success in the state playoffs. They have won a handful of state titles if my memory serves me correct.

Julian Fleming from Southern Columbia already has offers from Penn State and Michigan as a sophomore. 247 has him as the #1 wide receiver nationally in the sophomore class and the #5 player overall.

I don't think Gaige Garcia is getting huge football recruiting attention yet, but he's already gone over 3,000 caree rushing yards as a sophomore. He's also one of the nest wrestlers in America. Top 10 national recruit after taking 3rd as a freshman at 152 last year. He may get football offers, but I'm expecting he'll go to a Penn State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State type wrestling program as an upper weight.

Read an update on the N-G game. Lots of SH fans made the trip and no one is on the N-G side except for players from Southern Columbia...lol

Also read there are no accommodations for visiting media in the press box.

N-G up 24-7....2nd qt

https://twitter.com/Pubsportsboss

Last edited:
And I was wondering why NG was playing without a few players tonight, #3 starting qb, and #19 and #64 , here report cards came out and they were suspended, good job to that school for taking academics over sports, and that defense is sick, 28 got up every play not wanting to play, this weeks game in my opinion, southern Columbia vs NG, should be the state chip

Schuykill Haven did have more fans there and that is a shame. If I'm a fan of high school football in this city then the NG-SH game is the one I want to see out of the 2 played in the city last night. Lets face it high school football in some of the towns upstate is truly a "Friday Night Lights" affair and they take that on the road too. The problem was that the stuff that comes out of their mouths is sickening! I commend the NG players for holding their composure as well as they did last night because I don't know if I could have done it. I hear all this talk about "athletes vs team" and yes maybe NG does have better players but they really do play as a team. I see these kids on a fairly regular basis and how they pick each other up in practice and the games. I also see how they encourage each other to do better for the team. It's not the coaches that have to do it as with many high school teams but rather the players who expect better from not only themselves but from their teammates. Yes this attitude may have started out with the coaches but the players picked it up early and have continued it throughout the season and not just in games. Southern Columbia is probably the team to beat due to their success and State Championships and NG Coaches and players know they'll have to bring their A game to win and their practices this week will reflect that. I don't think you get to this level with just a bunch of better "athletes" no matter what part of the state you come from. I believe it takes a "team" to accomplish what both teams have accomplished. No matter what the results will be next weekend NG players will look back on this one day and see what they accomplished as a team and be proud of how they represented the city of Philadelphia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT