ADVERTISEMENT

Prep/GV

So - are there no disciplined teams in Louisiana or California?

Army/Navy/Air Force have non-scholarship players where the majority of the roster is the equivalent to the NEC/PSAC.

Might want to go check the NCAA stats on rushing offense over the past 20 years.

It's rare to see to teams "shut down" the academies on offense.

Army took Michigan and Oklahoma to the wire a few years ago.

Navy has beaten Notre Dame, PITT, Houston, etc over the past few years.

I have personally spoken to several collegiate coordinators, and it's the only offense they set aside time to defend weeks/months in advance.

You want to beat this offense - you better have dudes that can beat double teams at DT. If you can't control the ILB's, it's extremely hard to win with this offense.

No it's not.

It's based on #'s.

There are virtually no counters in the modern flexbone.

The most dangerous option is the pitch - go look at the stats of when the ball is pitched vs when it's handoff.

------

I coached triple option football for 15 years. I've defended it as well. Is it the "best" offense - no. There are no "best" offenses. But, to act as if it is outdated or inferior is asinine.
the most dangerous option is the dive. the pitch works bc of the danger of the dive and not vice versa. any coach will tell you they want to force the pitch and run to it. no one wants dudes running clean upfield between the B gaps.

the most dangerous option is the dive. the pitch works bc of the danger of the dive and not vice versa. any coach will tell you they want to force the pitch and run to it. no one wants dudes running clean upfield between the B gaps.
We have different definitions of the word "dangerous".

The most consistent feature of the option is the dive. The most dangerous is the pitch. Army and Navy have the data to prove it.

The reason we see more zone dive then inside veer nowadays is because we are literally trying to get to the pitch phase (midline triple). Most teams who face triple teams have no idea what the zone dive even is. They think it's option ball.

Navy/Army data - today

1. Zone Dive
2. Midline Triple
3. QB Power

Navy/Army Data 10-15 years ago
1. Inside Veer
2. Midline Double
3. Zone Option

They also have far more athletes than they’ve had for quite some time. I would like a system where they utilize all of their tools.
ah hah.. This is the key. 90% of games are won with the team who has better players. Scheme is important but like Jimmy Johnson used to say "you don't win with x's and o's, you win with Jimmy's and Joe's."
You’re essentially coming in the game against bigger faster and stronger teams hoping to run the ball down their throat and get on the perimeter against far superior speed.
How can it work?

Because when you run triple option you get the #'s advantage because you aren't blocking 2 defenders on ISV or MID TRIPLE.

Now if someone has 2 war daddy's lined up DT that you can't double team, then you know what you're probably going to have a rough day on offense. That is pretty rare though.

We have different definitions of the word "dangerous".

The most consistent feature of the option is the dive. The most dangerous is the pitch. Army and Navy have the data to prove it.

The reason we see more zone dive then inside veer nowadays is because we are literally trying to get to the pitch phase (midline triple). Most teams who face triple teams have no idea what the zone dive even is. They think it's option ball.

Navy/Army data - today

1. Zone Dive
2. Midline Triple
3. QB Power

Navy/Army Data 10-15 years ago
1. Inside Veer
2. Midline Double
3. Zone Option
I get what you're saying but the semantics of 'dangerous' doesnt matter. when you prepare for any of those teams you build your plan from dive out. if you don't stop the dive there isnt a game to be played.

I get what you're saying but the semantics of 'dangerous' doesnt matter. when you prepare for any of those teams you build your plan from dive out. if you don't stop the dive there isnt a game to be played.
If we're purely talking ISV - Inside Veer and not any other type of option - zone/midline/counter/tetc..

I've coached this offense for a long time.

I've never had a FB average more yards per carry then a SLOT - never.

Why do you think college coaches rejoiced around the country when the NCAA banned cut blocking on the perimeter? It's because it isn't hard to stop the dive/qb in and of themselves. However, if the defense has been slowed down to play those phases and gets that ball pitched on the edge - adios.

Mike Wallace was never a better receiver then Hines Ward. But, Hines Ward was never more dangerous then Mike Wallace.

GV has won over 150 games in the last 15 years-I think they are doing something right. People want to bash their offense but they have found a way to compete with the Coatevilles, North Penns and bigger schools without their levels of talent.

I saw them when they played DT East. Not big, but smart, physical football players.

If we had Horvath the entire game we may have won. But after watching the Prep-LaSalle game, there is no way DTE would have beaten SJP. Maybe a little closer of a game (getting mercy ruled in the second half instead of halftime), but there is nobody in D1 that would have played within 4TDs of them. They are loaded at every single position, they have no weakenesses.

SJP 45 Harrisburg 14

Reactions: BJMaher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT