ADVERTISEMENT

Prep/GV

From watching the game yesterday. I don’t understand how GV goes undefeated yet again. I mean you can’t expect to beat a team in the semis with a system like that. It’s false hope. They would lose to Judge. When your linemen is the size of their linebackers, lining up trying to run dive all day is a bad recipe.

I said this last yr and I’ll say it again. I’m a die hard Roman guy. We’re now beginning to turn things around. I have friends with children that attend prep and play football there. Until other schools invest in their program and find a coaching staff that builds a winning culture. We’ll have this discussion again next year. I use to beat myself up wondering why we couldn’t compete with them. My thoughts shifted to we shouldn’t be able to compete with them. They’re approach to hs football is way different than most of their opponents. 2 of my sons played at Roman. When comparing their schedule with their friends that played at prep is was totally different. Again, why should we be able to compete? And yeah talent have a lot to do with it, but their off season was different than ours, they practiced longer, had more coaches, and played better opponents. I’ll always be a fan of hs football from this area. They’re getting kids who want to play at the next level and we’re getting kids that plays just for something to do.
This isn't a gotcha, its because they all stink. They would lose to most of the Catholic league from 4a up and District 11 6a too
You’re clueless if you believe this statement. 4a- no way. As good as the players are at some of these schools- the coaching is downright awful. I want to throw up everytime I watch most of these 4a and 5a red and blue division schools play. Do you remotely believe garnet would have the same success if they ran a spread offense? Garnet doesn’t measure their success by state championships- you obviously don’t know much about their program.

Everyone is saying district 1 stinks but look at the facts. In Pennsylvania, 75,000 kids played high school Football in 1970 - 25,000 today. I don’t know the exact number but there’s district 1 kids all over private school rosters. Malvern is a Chester county all star team. Episcopal has Chester and Delaware county kids all over their roster. Hav school had a monster oline- all from district 1 areas. Prep, neuman, tep, Bonner, ohara, Roman, lasalle, wood, ohara, Carroll all pull kids from district 1 areas. And I know I’m missing some. I’m not complaining about it but numbers don’t lie. Shrink the pool of players to pull from / increase the recruiting and you have the results we’re seeing.

The other districts are dealing with a smaller amount of players but they aren’t dealing with 12 + private/parochial schools (10 of which are legit) pulling kids from their schools. Even the two that are awful- Carroll and O’Hara have kids on their team that Would help other district 1 teams. One of the best 8th graders in delco goes to garnet valley middle school- he won’t be at garnet valley high school next year. Two very good 8th grade linemen from haverford won’t be at haverford high next year. I can go on and on.

You’re clueless if you believe this statement. 4a- no way. As good as the players are at some of these schools- the coaching is downright awful. I want to throw up everytime I watch most of these 4a and 5a red and blue division schools play. Do you remotely believe garnet would have the same success if they ran a spread offense? Garnet doesn’t measure their success by state championships- you obviously don’t know much about their program.

Everyone is saying district 1 stinks but look at the facts. In Pennsylvania, 75,000 kids played high school Football in 1970 - 25,000 today. I don’t know the exact number but there’s district 1 kids all over private school rosters. Malvern is a Chester county all star team. Episcopal has Chester and Delaware county kids all over their roster. Hav school had a monster oline- all from district 1 areas. Prep, neuman, tep, Bonner, ohara, Roman, lasalle, wood, ohara, Carroll all pull kids from district 1 areas. And I know I’m missing some. I’m not complaining about it but numbers don’t lie. Shrink the pool of players to pull from / increase the recruiting and you have the results we’re seeing.

The other districts are dealing with a smaller amount of players but they aren’t dealing with 12 + private/parochial schools (10 of which are legit) pulling kids from their schools. Even the two that are awful- Carroll and O’Hara have kids on their team that Would help other district 1 teams. One of the best 8th graders in delco goes to garnet valley middle school- he won’t be at garnet valley high school next year. Two very good 8th grade linemen from haverford won’t be at haverford high next year. I can go on and on.
This has been the situation for as far back as I can remember. Years ago it was almost standard that Catholic kids went to catholic high schools that had boundaries called parishes. As the catholic schools began closing those boundaries had to be lifted to give students an opportunity to still attend a catholic school if they chose to do so even if they had to travel .The inner ac has always recruited . IMO not a whole lot has changed in reference to players going to private schools. Less schools = expanded area to draw from.

This is getting a little like the talk of the Prep having players from three or even four states. (It was an opposing coach in one of the state finals who made the statement about four states.) Also, the guys on that show (nice guys trying hard to promote hs football) who said the Prep has a couple of dozen D1 players were also going a little over the top. These days the "offers" kids get when they're freshmen or even in 8th grade are much more plentiful than offers in the past, and they really don't mean much, i.e. they're not commitments the colleges are bound to. When I look at the Prep's roster, I think you'd have to imagine every player with any chance at all of getting an offer getting one to come up with the number cited. I realize they've got more potential D1 players than any other hs team in the state, but sometimes the talk goes over the top.

As for former Prep guys now in the NFL, is John Reid now on anyone's roster?
tulla: Isn't he playing for the Falcons?

only two teams to never give sjp.a game (gv, pennsbury) run outdated one dimensional offenses. its really not rocket science. youre not going to win a state title in PA if you run a wing t/triple option/veer whatever some of there programs do variations of. shouldnt be very controversial
Southern Columbia??

We’ve failed to mention the style of offense deters recruits also. If I lived in GV area and had a son that could play at the next level outside of armed forces I wouldn’t send him there. That cuts your pool down even more. I’m quite sure all the kids that supposedly jumped ship that offense played a part in it as well.

I understand what you're saying. Not sure why the same phenomenon seems to be happening in Bucks Co. where the Inter-ACs can hardly be in the picture and where LaSalle and SJP get fewer students than they've traditionally got from Delaware and Montgomery counties. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Maybe the phenomenon you describe is as much an effect as a cause. Fewer and fewer kids playing football means that quality will suffer unless the most dedicated and/or talented kids go to a smaller number of schools. Throw in things like much earlier college recruiting (e.g. kids getting "offers" before they start high school or in freshman year), the self-marketing of players online, and the lure of being on ESPN, and then add the academic reputation (and record) of the Inter-Ac schools and SJP and LaSalle: BINGO!

Sadly, it's not just the play of football that has declined in District One. The district was always good for state titles in basketball at some level of both boys and girls, as well as soccer. Occasionally the district will win a state title in softball or baseball, but for the largest district, with the most wealth, they don't perform or compete as well as other districts. Like I said, there's a lot going on here that is causing the decline in competitive sports, and it's not the kids playing them.

Sadly, it's not just the play of football that has declined in District One. The district was always good for state titles in basketball at some level of both boys and girls, as well as soccer. Occasionally the district will win a state title in softball or baseball, but for the largest district, with the most wealth, they don't perform or compete as well as other districts. Like I said, there's a lot going on here that is causing the decline in competitive sports, and it's not the kids playing them.
Well for basketball district 1 winner in both 5A and 6A ran into Roman Catholic and Imhotep who are non boundary schools who went on to win the state championship. Again D1 isn’t just losing to public schools they’re running into these non boundary schools which is the hurdle they haven’t overcome yet.

Reactions: delcofootball1
I understand what you're saying. Not sure why the same phenomenon seems to be happening in Bucks Co. where the Inter-ACs can hardly be in the picture and where LaSalle and SJP get fewer students than they've traditionally got from Delaware and Montgomery counties. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Maybe the phenomenon you describe is as much an effect as a cause. Fewer and fewer kids playing football means that quality will suffer unless the most dedicated and/or talented kids go to a smaller number of schools. Throw in things like much earlier college recruiting (e.g. kids getting "offers" before they start high school or in freshman year), the self-marketing of players online, and the lure of being on ESPN, and then add the academic reputation (and record) of the Inter-Ac schools and SJP and LaSalle: BINGO!
LaSalle had 6 players start this year from CB West alone... without straining myself I can think of multiple All-Interac players in the last few years from the CB schools.

LaSalle had 6 players start this year from CB West alone... without straining myself I can think of multiple All-Interac players in the last few years from the CB schools.
Thanks for that. Why do you think those kids/families chose LaSalle and the Inter-Ac schools? I know that some Catholic parents who would probably have sent their kids to Catholic elementary schools are now--maybe because there are fewer such schools and they're not keen on sending their six or seven year old on a bus--sending them to Catholic high schools. Is academic quality--real or just perceived--a factor?

There have always been players from Central Buck that chose to attend both Lasalle and Wood. people act as if this were something new . What if all the Catholics in central bucks went to Wood and LaSalle.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
There have always been players from Central Buck that chose to attend both Lasalle and Wood. people act as if this were something new . What if all the Catholics in central bucks went to Wood and LaSalle.
I understand and agree that there have always been players going to those schools, but there’s probably more top tier players leaving since the “glory days” at West. (I was just responding to Tulia’s question about players leaving central bucks for Lasalle / Interac)

It seems people forget Players have chosen to attend Catholic/Inter-Ac schools for the last 100 years Nothing here has changed except fewer Catholic schools to choose from ..therefore greater distance for the student to travel if that is where they choose. Look at the PCL attendance now vs years ago. IMO this should benefit District 1 and the PPL.

Thanks for that. Why do you think those kids/families chose LaSalle and the Inter-Ac schools? I know that some Catholic parents who would probably have sent their kids to Catholic elementary schools are now--maybe because there are fewer such schools and they're not keen on sending their six or seven year old on a bus--sending them to Catholic high schools. Is academic quality--real or just perceived--a factor?
Multiple factors - unhappiness with coaching staff, ability to re-class which you can’t do in CB schools, being recruited constantly throughout your weight ball / cyo years, the perception of families that moved out of Northeast Philly that those schools are special… some multi sport athletes chose Lasalle bc of the lacrosse program.

I understand and agree that there have always been players going to those schools, but there’s probably more top tier players leaving since the “glory days” at West. (I was just responding to Tulia’s question about players leaving central bucks for Lasalle / Interac)
I would say that if a Mike Pettine were around now ,players would be all over CB West. This may be a recipe in the making with Rob there. These are the changes that have to occur if District one want to regain its competitive position. Administrative support and great coaching are mandatory or they will never get there.

Reactions: bucksftball
I question their success every year

no way they are totally clean, they have been at least playing for a state title on almost a yearly basis for 30 years

all of the perennial powers have some dirt on their hands, but their fans and apologists will tell you "there's something in the water"
The PCL hasn't been in the PIAA for 30 years. Ummmm..............fake news. But I guess that's your "truth"!!

We’ve failed to mention the style of offense deters recruits also. If I lived in GV area and had a son that could play at the next level outside of armed forces I wouldn’t send him there. That cuts your pool down even more. I’m quite sure all the kids that supposedly jumped ship that offense played a part in it as well.
It’s a double edged sword. They’d probably jump ship also if they were 7-3, 6-4, 5-5 every year, which they might be if they tried to run a spread offense with the same talent pool. Their system lets them beat teams with similar/superior talent, otherwise we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Where it runs out of steam is against overwhelmingly superior talent.

It seems people forget Players have chosen to attend Catholic/Inter-Ac schools for the last 100 years Nothing here has changed except fewer Catholic schools to choose from ..therefore greater distance for the student to travel if that is where they choose. Look at the PCL attendance now vs years ago. IMO this should benefit District 1 and the PPL.
Benefit? How so? Less travel is your argument? Public schools are required to provide transportation to a Catholic school. Malvern and the inter acs have busses that ride right through all the school districts. You ever see the trolley stop outside of Bonner at dismissal? Again- I’m not complaining but there’s no other reason district 1 is down other than

fewer number of total football players
- the best football players (recruits)
= district 1 struggles.

Reactions: d1football1

Delco. Malvern or Haverford HS if your kid is a football stud? Malvern blows away the screwed up stuff at public plus provide a very solid education for all. It’s not Haverford’s kid.. it’s the parents choosing the best academic and athletic path for the son. Kids leave private and charter going back to public for sports all the time. It’s coming across as whining because a certain team got its ass kicked. Maybe if some of these public coaches can build a deeper bench and make better coaching decisions they’d lose less.

Delco. Malvern or Haverford HS if your kid is a football stud? Malvern blows away the screwed up stuff at public plus provide a very solid education for all. It’s not Haverford’s kid.. it’s the parents choosing the best academic and athletic path for the son. Kids leave private and charter going back to public for sports all the time. It’s coming across as whining because a certain team got its ass kicked. Maybe if some of these public coaches can build a deeper bench and make better coaching decisions they’d lose less.
You obviously don’t comprehend what you read. I’ve said multiple times that I’m not mad about it. Or Whining. I’m not even a GV guy. Just answering the why? Don’t understand why people are surprised when gv gets blasted by prep.

To answer your question- malvern every single time. I don’t blame anyone for that choice but don’t act like the coaching is inferior in district 1. It’s not. Malvern head coach was 16-18 at west Chester east. Does that mean he was a bad coach. No? He now has talent and knows how to use it. For the record- East went 9-2 3 years after he left chestmont. You should know that.

These teams are very good and they’re using distinct 1 talent to win games. That’s all. Good for them- but don’t be surprised when district 1 teams get pasted by them.

Upper Darby just opened up- I’m sure you’re one of those who thinks it’s a “sleeping giant”- convince the prep/ episcopal/ hav school/ Imhotep/ Roman/ Neumann/ Bonner/ ohara coaches to take it over with the resources available. See how it shakes out.

Benefit? How so? Less travel is your argument? Public schools are required to provide transportation to a Catholic school. Malvern and the inter acs have busses that ride right through all the school districts. You ever see the trolley stop outside of Bonner at dismissal? Again- I’m not complaining but there’s no other reason district 1 is down other than

fewer number of total football players
- the best football players (recruits)
= district 1 struggles.
You didnt get my point. Back then Bonner and Ohara had 3000 or so boys , now probably each has 300. So where did all those students end up . ?

You obviously don’t comprehend what you read. I’ve said multiple times that I’m not mad about it. Or Whining. I’m not even a GV guy. Just answering the why? Don’t understand why people are surprised when gv gets blasted by prep.

To answer your question- malvern every single time. I don’t blame anyone for that choice but don’t act like the coaching is inferior in district 1. It’s not. Malvern head coach was 16-18 at west Chester east. Does that mean he was a bad coach. No? He now has talent and knows how to use it. For the record- East went 9-2 3 years after he left chestmont. You should know that.

These teams are very good and they’re using distinct 1 talent to win games. That’s all. Good for them- but don’t be surprised when district 1 teams get pasted by them.

Upper Darby just opened up- I’m sure you’re one of those who thinks it’s a “sleeping giant”- convince the prep/ episcopal/ hav school/ Imhotep/ Roman/ Neumann/ Bonner/ ohara coaches to take it over with the resources available. See how it shakes out.

I’m well aware of Malverns coaches record at WC East. I know exactly what you are implying. We’ve been in this conversation before and you come across as a whiner. Yes.. Upper Darby is a sleeping giant. Ortega did it at Coatesville and Coach from chester has done a bang up job.

I’m well aware of Malverns coaches record at WC East. I know exactly what you are implying. We’ve been in this conversation before and you come across as a whiner. Yes.. Upper Darby is a sleeping giant. Ortega did it at Coatesville and Coach from chester has done a bang up job.
Sleeping giant? Ask the newest staff who just left about that myth. Obviously you have no idea about Upper Darby so just regurgitate what you’ve heard. Ortega benefited from some VERY GOOD talent over the years. Not saying anything about him as a coach but let’s not act like having the some of the talent that rolled through he didn’t benefit from. Coatesville and Upper Darby are 2 very different situations.

I don’t get your Chester comment at all though

Reactions: d1football1
You didnt get my point. Back then Bonner and Ohara had 3000 or so boys , now probably each has 300. So where did all those students end up . ?
250-300 sounds about right for those two schools nowadays. Think in the 2000-2010 years you were looking at more around 600-1000.

You seem to be saying it's not easier to be able to walk to school than to have to make a long commute if you lack talent, size, or skill. Really?
i'm saying if you are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic etc it won't matter if you have to ride a bus for an hour to get to school

Kyle Mccord or whoever lives far away from SJP isn't going to be a worse QB than some other kid simply because he can walk to school

Besides Coatesville and North Penn, is there a 6A school in district one that has a chance of ever beating SJP?

only two teams to never give sjp.a game (gv, pennsbury) run outdated one dimensional offenses. its really not rocket science. youre not going to win a state title in PA if you run a wing t/triple option/veer whatever some of there programs do variations of. shouldnt be very controversial
Is PA football better then Louisiana?

Might want to go and check out John Curtis or Acadiana...

How about California? Would De La Salle be competing for state titles in PA?

Both run split back veer.

Cocalico dropped 50+ points on Cheltenham a few years ago. They lost the game not because of offense, but they couldn't cover on defense. Cocalico is a flexbone triple option team.

Reactions: bucksftball

Cocalico dropped 50+ points on Cheltenham a few years ago. They lost the game not because of offense, but they couldn't cover on defense. Cocalico is a flexbone triple option team.
It works until you run into a discipline team that’s coached well. The game have evolved so much that it’s much easier to stop nowadays. Look at army ,navy , Air Force and the likes. You may win some but it rarely works against well coached teams. The entire scheme is based off deception. The most dangerous option is the dive. Start by taking it away. Easier said than done.

Not long ago you predicted NA would beat SJP in the final.

Many have done well with the Wing-T, veer...whatever. Wyomissing, Southern Columbia for starters. Governor Mifflin almost pulled it off last year with their veer.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
It works until you run into a discipline team that’s coached well.
So - are there no disciplined teams in Louisiana or California?
The game have evolved so much that it’s much easier to stop nowadays. Look at army ,navy , Air Force and the likes. You may win some but it rarely works against well coached teams.
Army/Navy/Air Force have non-scholarship players where the majority of the roster is the equivalent to the NEC/PSAC.

Might want to go check the NCAA stats on rushing offense over the past 20 years.

It's rare to see to teams "shut down" the academies on offense.

Army took Michigan and Oklahoma to the wire a few years ago.

Navy has beaten Notre Dame, PITT, Houston, etc over the past few years.

I have personally spoken to several collegiate coordinators, and it's the only offense they set aside time to defend weeks/months in advance.

You want to beat this offense - you better have dudes that can beat double teams at DT. If you can't control the ILB's, it's extremely hard to win with this offense.
The entire scheme is based off deception.
No it's not.

It's based on #'s.

There are virtually no counters in the modern flexbone.

The most dangerous option is the dive. Start by taking it away. Easier said than done.

The most dangerous option is the pitch - go look at the stats of when the ball is pitched vs when it's handoff.

------

I coached triple option football for 15 years. I've defended it as well. Is it the "best" offense - no. There are no "best" offenses. But, to act as if it is outdated or inferior is asinine.

Many have done well with the Wing-T, veer...whatever. Wyomissing, Southern Columbia for starters. Governor Mifflin almost pulled it off last year with their veer.
McKeesport and Cocalico have been running the veer since the mid 80's.

McKeesport has 3 state titles all at the highest classifciation.

Cocalico with less talent has won - what? 5 district 3 titles?

Reactions: BJMaher
So - are there no disciplined teams in Louisiana or California?

Army/Navy/Air Force have non-scholarship players where the majority of the roster is the equivalent to the NEC/PSAC.

Might want to go check the NCAA stats on rushing offense over the past 20 years.

It's rare to see to teams "shut down" the academies on offense.

Army took Michigan and Oklahoma to the wire a few years ago.

Navy has beaten Notre Dame, PITT, Houston, etc over the past few years.

I have personally spoken to several collegiate coordinators, and it's the only offense they set aside time to defend weeks/months in advance.

You want to beat this offense - you better have dudes that can beat double teams at DT. If you can't control the ILB's, it's extremely hard to win with this offense.

No it's not.

It's based on #'s.

There are virtually no counters in the modern flexbone.

The most dangerous option is the pitch - go look at the stats of when the ball is pitched vs when it's handoff.

------

I coached triple option football for 15 years. I've defended it as well. Is it the "best" offense - no. There are no "best" offenses. But, to act as if it is outdated or inferior is asinine.
It’s outdated. We can have different opinions. The game will get bigger faster and stronger. Putting priority on the pitch man in a triple scheme is equivalent to putting on your sneakers before your pants.

It’s outdated. We can have different opinions. The game will get bigger faster and stronger. Putting priority on the pitch man in a triple scheme is equivalent to putting on your sneakers before your pants.
Nothing is outdated- and coaches use the system they either know best or the system that gives them the best chance to win. I respect the option teams and the time, commitment, and attention to detail it takes to install. I suppose you think Romans offense of QB drop back to pass and throw it up to one of the best high school wr in the country and hope he comes down with it is a superior offense?

Nothing is outdated- and coaches use the system they either know best or the system that gives them the best chance to win. I respect the option teams and the time, commitment, and attention to detail it takes to install. I suppose you think Romans offense of QB drop back to pass and throw it up to one of the best high school wr in the country and hope he comes down with it is a superior offense?
I’m realistic. I don’t think Roman have the best system but one that suits them. Throwing the ball up to a highly talented receiver in man cover. I’ll take those odds. Besides that Roman does run a variation of the read option with a RPO aspect.

1. What is the "best" system?

2. Sounds like RC has a great system because it suits them.
I think they have a system that allows them to be more competitive as of late. They also have far more athletes than they’ve had for quite some time. I would like a system where they utilize all of their tools.
I’m not hating on the wing T if y’all like it ,I love it but this false hope it’s creating from a district level is insane. We know once they leave district 1 they’ll play far better talent. You’re essentially coming in the game against bigger faster and stronger teams hoping to run the ball down their throat and get on the perimeter against far superior speed.
How can it work?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT