ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff game sites

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
PIAA recently posted all sites for all classifications. Check it out.

Reactions: lilromeo
PIAA recently posted all sites for all classifications. Check it out.
Shanahan got screwed. 120 mile trip to Valley View’s home field.

Sure did, that's a hike. The poIicy is to rotate districts with home district neutral sites, not your home. V.V. hasn't been on the road since Oct 15. Somebody likes them!
Bad enough having to play VV's veteran team (260-280 lineman, all returned), only loss was 3A Scranton Prep who is undefeated looking very special. Believe Wyomissing has hands full there although they typically blow away D3-4 teams.

Last edited:
Sure did, that's a hike. The poIicy is to rotate districts with home district neutral sites, not your home. V.V. hasn't been on the road since Oct 15. Somebody likes them!
Bad enough having to play VV's veteran team (260-280 lineman, all returned), only loss was 3A Scranton Prep who is undefeated looking very special. Believe Wyomissing has hands full there although they typically blow away D3-4 teams.
Shanahan has played some tough teams, has 28 seniors who played on 2019 district 4A championship team/experience and they also have some size too but VV seems very seasoned plus a home game doesn’t bode well for the Eagles. I’ll be pulling for my Alma Mater though. Beating Bonner last week was the first football state win for the school w hopefully more to come.

Reactions: Stalker
Stalker: Play on home field might be a budget change. Your right, it usually is a neutral site. Haven is playing at Rustin. GV is at home. I can remember Haven playing Berwick and Pittston in Scranton Stadium about 2-1/2 hrs away.

Stalker: Play on home field might be a budget change. Your right, it usually is a neutral site. Haven is playing at Rustin. GV is at home. I can remember Haven playing Berwick and Pittston in Scranton Stadium about 2-1/2 hrs away.
Maybe so but it's a bad hand for Shanahan at VV's field. And, Haven at Rustin and Cville at GVal are at highest seed as it's the district final per D1's setup, not PIAA 1st rd, etc which is the case with BS-VV. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Maybe so but it's a bad hand for Shanahan at VV's field. And, Haven at Rustin and Cville at GVal are at highest seed as it's the district final per D1's setup, not PIAA 1st rd, etc which is the case with BS-VV. Maybe I misunderstood you.
Stalker: The district finals have always been at a neutral site and the PIAA state playoffs started last week end. This Friday will be state quarterfinals. The format itself hasn't changed, ie: Haven lost to Wood in the state quarters at Coatesville. We've played Berwick and Wyoming Area at Coatesville in quarters. As you said, somebody has to travel.

Relayer might have the answer, but didn't the PIAA also move D3 out west for a couple of years to switch up districts or am I wrong on that?

Stalker: The district finals have always been at a neutral site and the PIAA state playoffs started last week end. This Friday will be state quarterfinals. The format itself hasn't changed, ie: Haven lost to Wood in the state quarters at Coatesville. We've played Berwick and Wyoming Area at Coatesville in quarters. As you said, somebody has to travel.
Right....and this year is absolutely convoluted throughout the state. I haven't researched to know but evidently PIAA left it up to each district. Eg....Dist-3 allowed all the district finals to be at the highest seeded team this year.
Dist-7 did not; went neutral. It does simplify and is a logical reward for getting top seed, or any high seed should the top seed lose.
PS: congrats to Strath Haven.

Anyone remember why for a couple of years (2018 and 2019) SJP played a team from District 7 (P-R and PCC) in the state semifinal--in Altoona, of all places? Now it looks like they've returned to not having east play west till the state final.
Altoona does have a quality facility at Mansion Park. I don't know the agreement or contract but they do play there from time to time. The joke back home is it's where District-3 teams go to die having lost so often there.

So we have three playoff games Friday, all in a 10-15 mile radius of each other. How about a triple-header at Downingtown and give the fans a chance to see all the games? Or at worse, spread them out over Friday-Saturday. I get it about limited options, but this has been going on forever.

I remember in 2003 seeing Manheim Central - Strath Haven at Coatesville on Saturday afternoon and driving to J Birney Crum for North Penn - Easton Saturday night. That was a fun day.

That was a cold day at Cville in 2003 Relayer. You got my vote for Dtown hosting the games specifically GV-Cville, SH- Rustin and VV-Shanahan as you got 3 Chesmont teams and fan bases packing the stadium

So we have three playoff games Friday, all in a 10-15 mile radius of each other. How about a triple-header at Downingtown and give the fans a chance to see all the games? Or at worse, spread them out over Friday-Saturday. I get it about limited options, but this has been going on forever.

I remember in 2003 seeing Manheim Central - Strath Haven at Coatesville on Saturday afternoon and driving to J Birney Crum for North Penn - Easton Saturday night. That was a fun day.
You remember that Saturday being more fun than I do…

Sounds good! If the idea for inclement weather cancellations is to save the field and avoid gate losses, you'd think they'd at some point employ an idea like yours to maximize gate. Can I get Duhhhhh!? But then relayer you'd need good management and we all know that's lacking at most concerns.

Anyone remember why for a couple of years (2018 and 2019) SJP played a team from District 7 (P-R and PCC) in the state semifinal--in Altoona, of all places? Now it looks like they've returned to not having east play west till the state final.
Because the PIAA was getting complaints about how much better they are so they did everything they could to have them lose.

Reactions: 6-2 Stack Monster
Everything I had heard at the time was it centered around Coatesville wanting to get their QB into the finals but he always had to go through the Prep.

Reactions: Bighead75
Lets be realistic and not let our team loyalty get into the way but is Cville or GV going to beat the Prep? Exactly….

Lets be realistic and not let our team loyalty get into the way but is Cville or GV going to beat the Prep? Exactly….
I'm a Prep guy and want them to win another state championship, but I think they are far from a shoe-in and should not be a prohibitive favorite if they play Coatesville or GV. The Prep lost two games this year, won a very close game against Judge on Oct. 29--granted, in a monsoon--and beat Wood 17-14 on a last-minute FG on Nov. 5.

Reactions: 6-2 Stack Monster
Everything I had heard at the time was it centered around Coatesville wanting to get their QB into the finals but he always had to go through the Prep.
I'm not sure that it was Coatesville specifically, but yeah - it was along those lines. I will say this though, the 2017 C'ville / SJP state semifinal was one of the best games I have ever seen. Instant classic. The following year C'ville may have been looking past Harrisburg while chomping at the bit to get another shot at the Prep...

I'm a Prep guy and want them to win another state championship, but I think they are far from a shoe-in and should not be a prohibitive favorite if they play Coatesville or GV. The Prep lost two games this year, won a very close game against Judge on Oct. 29--granted, in a monsoon--and beat Wood 17-14 on a last-minute FG on Nov. 5.
Tulla - agreed. I obviously would not count them out, but they are a young team not without flaws. They can be had if things break the right way. I'm guessing Steinmetz's phone will be ringing soon, lol.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT