ADVERTISEMENT

Competitive formula

DripDrop

Aug 31, 2023
I know the competitive formula works and I'm a fan of it. We see more competitive games, especially playoff games, but it only works for 1A-5A. With that being said it has no affect on 6A and I know teams like sjp meet the criteria to be moved up. What changes can the piaa make with the competitive formula to affect these 6A schools?

do we see more competitive games? we rarely saw teams get mercy ruled before the half 20 years ago but that's a common occurrence these days

the only thing that can be done is separate private from public

I don’t think the competitive formula works. You have small schools that are forced to move up because they’re winning ? What happens when they aren’t so competitive? We say classification is based on number of boys between 9-11th but if you win you’re forced to move up. Plus there’s no cap. Imhotep is going to 6A next year but qualifies for 3a at most. How is that formula perfect and why didn’t southern Columbia move yet?

6A is a whole "different bird." Which goes to some of my recent comments, from folks thinking that "PR should play up." 6A teams and enrollment have "minimums" but no maximums. Sounds silly- but some school could consolidate and create the biggest HS ever- and could go from 600 kids to 5000- and still be 6A.

My understanding is that PCC is now "choosing to move up" to 6A in 24 and 25, and might be the first and only team to "voluntarily move up" to 6A in football

rch- my guess on the SC question, is they get the kids "moved in" early, so they avoid the "transfer issue" just my guess.

I again disagree w separating private and public. Maybe add one more requirement for 6A? Just spit-balling- maybe tougher transfer rule for 6A- prob not gonna happen but just an idea

I don’t think the competitive formula works. You have small schools that are forced to move up because they’re winning ? What happens when they aren’t so competitive? We say classification is based on number of boys between 9-11th but if you win you’re forced to move up. Plus there’s no cap. Imhotep is going to 6A next year but qualifies for 3a at most. How is that formula perfect and why didn’t southern Columbia move yet?
You can win all you want as long as you don't have transfers.

6A is a whole "different bird." Which goes to some of my recent comments, from folks thinking that "PR should play up." 6A teams and enrollment have "minimums" but no maximums. Sounds silly- but some school could consolidate and create the biggest HS ever- and could go from 600 kids to 5000- and still be 6A.

My understanding is that PCC is now "choosing to move up" to 6A in 24 and 25, and might be the first and only team to "voluntarily move up" to 6A in football

rch- my guess on the SC question, is they get the kids "moved in" early, so they avoid the "transfer issue" just my guess.

I again disagree w separating private and public. Maybe add one more requirement for 6A? Just spit-balling- maybe tougher transfer rule for 6A- prob not gonna happen but just an idea
Ok thanks for the clarification bc I thought the same but we know SC have transfers each year. If I’m not mistaken they were suppose to move up a few years back and they appealed and won to remain 2A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT