ADVERTISEMENT

Picks Against the Spread - 6A Playoffs

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
At this point in the year, the Born Power Index does a nice job of setting lines for playoff games. With so many mismatches still at this point in the year, thought it would be more fun to make state playoff picks against the spread. I'll try and do this for the rest of the tournament. Call your bookie before 7 to get these games in! The rankings are not mine, they are how teams stack up amongst squads remaining in the Born Index. The best team NOT still playing is Central York, who is #14 in the computer model.

District 1
#20 North Penn at #12 Downingtown West (-7.5)
#18 Haverford at #19 Downingtown East (PICK)
#14 Coatesville (-6.5) at #21 CB West: Coatesville -6.5
#26 Plymouth Whitemarsh (+10.5) at #23 Garnet Valley

The computers DO NOT like District 1 – I cannot remember a time D1 did not have a team ranked in the top 10 in this model. If you’re gambling, there may be some value here. I like Downingtown West to cover 7.5 against against North Penn, and I’d go against the Central League and take Downingtown East in their pick ‘em with Haverford. Coatesville by less than a touchdown also seems like a good bet, give me the road favorite. Don’t have a good feel for the remaining game, but 10.5 feels high when the teams both aren’t world beaters.

District 3
#5 Harrisburg at #11 Wilson West Lawn (+11.5)
#6 Central Dauphin at #3 Manheim Township (-8)

On the flip side, the computer LOVE District 3. From my untrained eye, it’s probably the deepest Central PA has been at the big school level. Like the computers, I really like Manheim Township and I think Harry Kirk and company can cover -8 against Central Dauphin. For my money, they are the second best team in the state. On the flip side, I think 11.5 is way too much to be giving Doug Dahms. Don’t know if I’d go as far as taking the Dogs to win outright, but absolutely give me the points in WWL vs. Harrisburg

District 12
#1 St. Joseph’s Prep (-12.5) vs. #7 LaSalle
#28 Olney Charter vs. #25 Northeast (-29.5)

I’d take St. Joseph’s Prep by any number you put on the board. Tease the Hawks if you can, and I’d definitely take them by less than two touchdowns against pretty much everybody in America. Northeast is pretty decent, Olney isn’t, I’ll lay the points in that one too.

District 11
#24 Easton vs. #13 Nazareth (-12)
#15 Parkland vs. #17 Freedom (+1.5)

I previewed these games in depth on another thread. I like Nazareth and Freedom more than the computers do – particularly the Patriots.

District 7
#22 Mount Lebanon vs. #4 Pittsburgh Central Catholic (-22)
#9 North Allegheny (+15.5) at #2 Pine-Richland

Pittsburgh Central Catholic doesn’t score a ton of points, but I think there is a clear delineation between the top 3 in the WPIAL and everybody else. Mount Lebanon is part of everybody else, give me the Vikings by more than three touchdowns. On the flip side, Pine-Richland is giving way too many against a good North Allegheny team. Their defense will be ready – I don’t think they can score enough to win, but they can stop the Rams enough to cover.

District 2/4/6/10
#10 State College (PICK) at #8 Erie McDowell
#27 Wilkes Barre at #16 Delaware Valley (-28)

The best game of the weekend by line and ranking is a top 10 match up between State College and Erie McDowell. The Little Lions have tons of playoff experience on their side and their top end talent is as good as anybody outside of SJP. Put them in a three team parlay with SJP and Freedom or Coatesville. Wilkes Barre just shouldn’t be playing at this point in the year – Delaware Valley has some firepower on offense and Josh Balcarel is a really nice running back. They can cover four touchdowns.

Good stuff Rover. Last I looked the BPI has Southern Columbia as the #2 team in the state.

They are. I’m not sure exactly what the math is in the model, but it does a decent job ballparking teams within a class and the point spreads are as good as a Vegas college line would be.

Southern Columbia is a 73.5 point favorite this weekend against North Penn Mansfield. Not sure I’d bet that one...

Went 6-8 against the spread last week, and 11-3 straight up. Here’s to a better showing!

Match Ups (Ranking is Overall by the Born Index; Spread with Pick)

“Eastern” Half

#18 Garnet Valley vs. #9 Coatesville (-5)

It’s the precision of Garnet Valley’s option attack against the speed of Coatesville’s spread. I like Matt Ortega’s bunch in October, and getting them by less than a touchdown feels like a win.

#17 Haverford vs. #10 Downingtown West (-3)

Can the Trey Blair show continue? He left last week with a hip pointer, but indications are he should be good to go Friday night. I’ve been picking Downingtown West as the D1 favorite for most of the year, and in the end I think they have more ways to beat you than the Fords. And with a tight spread, give me DTW and the points.

#6 Central Dauphin (+3) vs. #5 Harrisburg

The Rams avenged their lone regular season loss last week in a win over what I presumed to be the second best team in the state. Can they pick up win #2 against Harrisburg this week? Harrisburg is one of the fastest teams in Pennsylvania, but also has a Big Ten recruit on the offensive line. I like the Cougars to win, but I’ll take the points in a nailbiter and CD to cover.

“Western” Half

#7 State College (-11.5) vs. #20 Delaware Valley

State College is one of the most talented teams in the state at the skill spots and Delaware Valley doesn’t have the horses.

#2 Pine-Richland vs. #4 Pittsburgh Central Catholic (+12)

Call me a PCC believer, at least to play within two touchdowns of the Rams. The defense is really good and while Pine-Richland has been the best team out west, they also aren’t the juggernaut of a few years ago.

#12 Nazareth vs. #16 Parkland (+1.5)

I’ve flipped back and forth on this one. I think that Nazareth has legitimate injury questions, and Parkland is really physical, healthy and playing well.

#1 St. Joseph’s Prep (-36) vs. #28 Northeast

Can’t make a line high enough.

Best Teams that are Out
#3 Manheim Central, #8 Wilson West Lawn (actually moved up three spots in their loss to Harrisburg), #11 LaSalle, #13 North Allegheny, #14 Erie McDowell, #15 Central York

They are. I’m not sure exactly what the math is in the model, but it does a decent job ballparking teams within a class and the point spreads are as good as a Vegas college line would be.

Southern Columbia is a 73.5 point favorite this weekend against North Penn Mansfield. Not sure I’d bet that one...

Saw this week that SC is 3rd in the USA Today Regional Ranking for the mid-Atlantic states. Only St Frances and SJP are higher. Too bad they won't be challenged. Must be boring to win every game 65-0.

I can't see P-R being a 12 point favorite against a team that beat them by 22 earlier in the year!!

I can't see P-R being a 12 point favorite against a team that beat them by 22 earlier in the year!!

Call your bookie!!!

Seriously, I use the Born Index computer rankings. The math behind it is proprietary, but it’s designed as a predictive formula, similar to Bill Connelly’s SP+ for college football or Ken Pomeroy’s college basketball algorithms. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I’ve found for a line to pick against in HS football in PA. But yes, take the Vikings and the points if you want a nice vacation this winter.

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT