ADVERTISEMENT

PCL Red Slate This Weekend

Steve_pitt64

Apr 27, 2016
Father Judge (0-1) vs Pope John Paul (1-0)
Judge coming off a surprising loss last week 1 to Olney Charter, while PJP comes into this game riding high after a 23-0 rout of Archbishop Carroll. My thought is that this will be a close one down the shore, with both teams expected to have a good showing crowd-wise, should make for a good game!
Roman (1-0) vs Trinity (D3) (1-0)
Roman coming off a big week one win vs a traditional power out of Reading in Wilson West-Lawn. Trinity also coming off a big win against Delone Catholic. Trinity was only 3-6 last year but I heard they have a new coach who is an ex-NFL player, who in scheduling Roman and Wyomissing this early shows that they are looking to take the next step as a program. Roman on the other hand is loaded with talent as we all know, so I am curious to see how this one plays out.
Lasalle (1-0) vs Malvern Prep (0-0)
This is a game that anyone in Southeastern PA knows will be a good one. Hard to predict but know that both teams will be ready to play, and there will be a big crowd on hand. Should be a close game that comes down to the wire and serve as a good barometer for how good each team will be this year moving forward.
St Joes Prep (0-1) VS St Peters Prep (NJ) (1-0)
This like the Malvern-Lasalle game will also be one to watch this weekend. The game is being played at Rutgers stadium, and for good reason seeing as this will pit 2 of the top teams from PA and Jersey vs one another. Interesting to see how the Prep fairs with the injuries they sustained last week defensively.

I'm interested to hear everyone's commentary regarding this exciting slate of games this weekend. As for me, while this is my first post, I have been following the forum for a year or so and am exciting to get more involved throughout this season. I follow the PCL Red and Blue and most of District 1, so if anyone has more information more about schools like Trinity (D3) or St. Peters Prep (NJ), I'd love to hear your commentary regarding those games this weekend.

Judge coming off a surprising loss last week 1 to Olney Charter, while PJP comes into this game riding high after a 23-0 rout of Archbishop Carroll. My thought is that this will be a close one down the shore, with both teams expected to have a good showing crowd-wise, should make for a good game!
Roman coming off a big week one win vs a traditional power out of Reading in Wilson West-Lawn. Trinity also coming off a big win against Delone Catholic. Trinity was only 3-6 last year but I heard they have a new coach who is an ex-NFL player, who in scheduling Roman and Wyomissing this early shows that they are looking to take the next step as a program. Roman on the other hand is loaded with talent as we all know, so I am curious to see how this one plays out.
This is a game that anyone in Southeastern PA knows will be a good one. Hard to predict but know that both teams will be ready to play, and there will be a big crowd on hand. Should be a close game that comes down to the wire and serve as a good barometer for how good each team will be this year moving forward.
This like the Malvern-Lasalle game will also be one to watch this weekend. The game is being played at Rutgers stadium, and for good reason seeing as this will pit 2 of the top teams from PA and Jersey vs one another. Interesting to see how the Prep fairs with the injuries they sustained last week defensively.

I'm interested to hear everyone's commentary regarding this exciting slate of games this weekend. As for me, while this is my first post, I have been following the forum for a year or so and am exciting to get more involved throughout this season. I follow the PCL Red and Blue and most of District 1, so if anyone has more information more about schools like Trinity (D3) or St. Peters Prep (NJ), I'd love to hear your commentary regarding those games this weekend.
If Judge cant beat Olney ,they will get a beat down vs John Paul. What has happened to the Crusaders ?

Good stuff Steve. Get back to you later on D3.

Reactions: Steve_pitt64

Trinity:
The Shamrocks are a AA from Camp Hill in District 3 that have been well off the radar for years with a W/L of 22-64 since 2013. Before this they were a constant force in the district at 97-30 from 2002-2012. Things changed last year with the arrival of HC Jordan Hill. He has quite a history as a local and All-Stater at renown Steelton Highspire (title team 2012), then winning a Super Bowl with Seattle. The turnaround last year was apparent in competitiveness and scores tho not in the win column at 3-6, that doesn’t reflect tight losses and a win again the best 1A and 2A teams (all winners) on their schedule.
This year’s team is wholly veteran with at least 16 starters back. They have a massive O-Line and a freshman running back in Messiah Mickens that already has an offer from TexAM. Won their first game vs the respected tho rebuilding 2A Delone Catholic Squires 35-7.
While they’re certainly back on the radar in a big way with Hill and Mickens, they’re nowhere near the talent level Roman has and displayed against Wilson last week.

St. Peters’ Prep:
Here’s a small write up I put on the board a few weeks ago on St. Peters

St. Peter’s (39-14 last 5, 8-4 last year) plays in the New Jersey Super Football Conference-United Red Division with other impressive teams including Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco Prep, St. Joseph’s Regional (swapped in with Paramus Catholic out this year) and Seton Hall Prep, forming one of the top conferences in the East. For this season, SPP returns good numbers including quarterback Robert Long (55%, 1855, 20/9), 3 of his leading receivers and a good core from the D including DLs London Robinson (6-2, 270, 82 tackles), Bryce Rooks (6-1, 275, 81 stops), Logan Barnes (6-1, 265, 89) and SS Jayden Bonsa (6-2, 200) with 62 stops. Over 400 tackles return to the defense that allowed 14ppg. They were close (sort of) last year with competitive losses to DBP (8-5) 28-14 and SJR (6-4) 21-14, although those were not either’s strongest editions. The other two losses came against national power Bergen Catholic (42-9 last 5) who beat them 21-0 and 35-10.

**** Won their opener vs St. Augustine Prep 41-7. Shaky using this as a measuring stick with SAP rebuilding (10 to D1 schools) off a 9-2 mark last year. For SPP…. QB Long certainly in the groove with 4 Td passes, 6, 8, 52, 56 yds.

**** SJP and SPP play Saturday 9/3, 7 at Rutgers

Last edited:
Results:
Malvern 35 Lasalle 0 (1-1)
Roman 41 (2-0) Trinity 14
PJPII 22 Judge 21 (OT) (0-2)
St Joes 55 (1-1) St Peters 20
Only surprises I saw here was the amount by which St Joes won and Lasalle lost (Makes you wonder just how good Malvern is this year). Will be interesting to see if Lasalle and their Freshman QB can regroup before another big test coming up this week. I'll have the new slate out early next week.

Results:
Malvern 35 Lasalle 0 (1-1)
Roman 41 (2-0) Trinity 14
PJPII 22 Judge 21 (OT) (0-2)
St Joes 55 (1-1) St Peters 20
Only surprises I saw here was the amount by which St Joes won and Lasalle lost (Makes you wonder just how good Malvern is this year). Will be interesting to see if Lasalle and their Freshman QB can regroup before another big test coming up this week. I'll have the new slate out early next week.
Have you heard anything about Wood ??

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/archbishop-wood-coach-says-safety-203742523.html

This article provides insight into why Wood cancelled their first couple of games. Looks like they had a lot of kids transfer out and staff turnover after new coach was hired. Don't understand the logic, seeing as you'd think they want to get as much experience as they can before catholic league play, but who knows could be for the better.
Thanks Steve, Its still a mess it appears.

Roman looks good early in the season. From what I've read, the Frosh qb is starting and playing well. New RB seems to be fitting in nicely as well. Will be interesting to see how they stack up when they play the fellow PCL schools

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT