ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Harrisburg

What do you mean by "schools like prep have the funding"? Nobody is paid to come to the Prep and the families of all the students at the Prep, including those of football players, spend much more money to send their sons to the Prep (even if all their tuition is covered) than if they sent them to the local public school.

The Prep will never play a "national schedule" like IMG does. IMG recruits from all over the U.S. and nearly all the players live at the school. Playing a national schedule also means organizing an academic program around a sports schedule, The Prep won't do that.
Recruiting and housing players is just one of many factors that go into a successful program. It really comes down to coaching and player development. IMG starts work outs a 4 am. Schools like Prep need to step up.

By funding I mean alumni and the school dump a lot of $ into the football program. I get it prep will pay to send their team out to California to play top teams on espn. What kid wouldn't want to play on espn. Img does recruit from all over the country and prep will be better then them next year IMO so what's that tell you. Prep grabs players from a pretty wide area. You yourself said how far prep students travel. They are one of the top teams in the entire country every year. Prep football is equivalent to Imhotep in basketball. They never have down years or will ever have to rebuild. They bring in top talent to replace top talent. Tulla do you think it's fair that prep participates in the Piaa playoffs and if so I would like to know why?
Is this an inquisition, as the question in your last sentence indicates?

The Prep has gone to Calif once--in 2016. They generally make one long trip a year, usually before classes begin. I really question whether any high school should be sending teams around the country over a few months to play a "national schedule." Less because of the impact on the players' academic development than because of its likely impact on their social and personal development.

It's not true that SJP has been "one of the top teams in the country every year." In 2013 and 2014 they lost three games each year. In 2015 they lost three regular season games and to LaSalle in the league championship. Yes, in 2016 they had a great team. In 2017 they lost to PR--by three TDs, I think. In 2018 they were very good but not one of the country's best. In 2019 they lost to IMG and Marietta--with McCord as QB. The Covid-year team (2020) was great in the six games they played. Last year they lost two regular season games (including one to Milton, a Georgia pubic school) and to ML in the championship. So the idea that they've been one of the top teams in the country in the great run they've had in the last 10 years is quite an exaggeration.

The Prep and the rest of the PCL joined the PIAA--at the PIAA's invitation--in 2008 when everyone knew that PCL schools were not boundary schools. I've seen some say that the PCL were supposed to take students only from their traditional "feeder schools" but LaSalle and SJP never had such schools and by 2008 the whole "feeder school" system within the Catholic education system in the Philly area was long gone. Everyone also knew that the Prep had always drawn a substantial number of students from Jersey. Yes, there are advantages to the Prep's ability to draw students from such a large and populous area, but the Prep--and the other PCL schools--also deal with disadvantages. So, yes, it's fair in the sense that the Prep plays within the rules. If the PIAA changes the rules, the Prep and the PCL will have to either abide by the new rules or leave.

But if I think of the players on the Harrisburg team--or the players on the Northeast, Parkland, and GV teams--I can certainly see how they might feel they're in a very unfair position playing against the Prep. Most of the Harrisburg and Northeast players, for instance, seemed to be going both ways, largely, I assume, because of low numbers. They may not have the opportunity to practice as much as the Prep players do. Maybe they have fewer coaches or less experienced or talented coaches. And their "natural talent level" may not match that of the Prep players (though again I would point to TEP, which everyone says has more talent than every team it plays).

So I would have been much happier to see a much better Harrisburg team and a closer game last night. And again I would ask if anyone thinks the Harrisburg team last night was anywhere close to the ML team last year or the PR teams of 2014 and 2017, to the PCC teams of 2013, 2016, and 2019, to the Coatesville teams of 2017 and 2018, to the North Penn team of 2016, to the Neshaminy team of 2013, to the Parkland teams of 2014 and 2015, etc. That's not a knock against the kids on Harrisburg or their coaches but a comment on the quality of 6A football in PA this year.

Recruiting and housing players is just one of many factors that go into a successful program. It really comes down to coaching and player development. IMG starts work outs a 4 am. Schools like Prep need to step up.
It would be interesting to see how much time players in various programs spend watching film, how much of their practice time is spent productively, what kind of conditioning and strength-training programs they follow, etc. I ask not because I know the answers but out of real curiosity.

It would be interesting to see how much time players in various programs spend watching film, how much of their practice time is spent productively, what kind of conditioning and strength-training programs they follow, etc. I ask not because I know the answers but out of real curiosity.
I did the comparison a few years back when my son who went to Roman and his friend went to prep. They prepared much longer and tougher than most schools from the look of their schedules.

Reactions: Bighead75
Is this an inquisition, as the question in your last sentence indicates?

The Prep has gone to Calif once--in 2016. They generally make one long trip a year, usually before classes begin. I really question whether any high school should be sending teams around the country over a few months to play a "national schedule." Less because of the impact on the players' academic development than because of its likely impact on their social and personal development.

It's not true that SJP has been "one of the top teams in the country every year." In 2013 and 2014 they lost three games each year. In 2015 they lost three regular season games and to LaSalle in the league championship. Yes, in 2016 they had a great team. In 2017 they lost to PR--by three TDs, I think. In 2018 they were very good but not one of the country's best. In 2019 they lost to IMG and Marietta--with McCord as QB. The Covid-year team (2020) was great in the six games they played. Last year they lost two regular season games (including one to Milton, a Georgia pubic school) and to ML in the championship. So the idea that they've been one of the top teams in the country in the great run they've had in the last 10 years is quite an exaggeration.

The Prep and the rest of the PCL joined the PIAA--at the PIAA's invitation--in 2008 when everyone knew that PCL schools were not boundary schools. I've seen some say that the PCL were supposed to take students only from their traditional "feeder schools" but LaSalle and SJP never had such schools and by 2008 the whole "feeder school" system within the Catholic education system in the Philly area was long gone. Everyone also knew that the Prep had always drawn a substantial number of students from Jersey. Yes, there are advantages to the Prep's ability to draw students from such a large and populous area, but the Prep--and the other PCL schools--also deal with disadvantages. So, yes, it's fair in the sense that the Prep plays within the rules. If the PIAA changes the rules, the Prep and the PCL will have to either abide by the new rules or leave.

But if I think of the players on the Harrisburg team--or the players on the Northeast, Parkland, and GV teams--I can certainly see how they might feel they're in a very unfair position playing against the Prep. Most of the Harrisburg and Northeast players, for instance, seemed to be going both ways, largely, I assume, because of low numbers. They may not have the opportunity to practice as much as the Prep players do. Maybe they have fewer coaches or less experienced or talented coaches. And their "natural talent level" may not match that of the Prep players (though again I would point to TEP, which everyone says has more talent than every team it plays).

So I would have been much happier to see a much better Harrisburg team and a closer game last night. And again I would ask if anyone thinks the Harrisburg team last night was anywhere close to the ML team last year or the PR teams of 2014 and 2017, to the PCC teams of 2013, 2016, and 2019, to the Coatesville teams of 2017 and 2018, to the North Penn team of 2016, to the Neshaminy team of 2013, to the Parkland teams of 2014 and 2015, etc. That's not a knock against the kids on Harrisburg or their coaches but a comment on the quality of 6A football in PA this year.
People assume Prep gets students that live half the state away. It would be interesting to know the actual distance the Prep gets players from. I would guess the furthest could be 20 miles in order to get to school within an hour and a half. The NJ students are probably closer. Why is this different from PCC,McD ECP and the rest of the Catholic schools in the state. The rest of the PCl also has open borders. prep to their credit has established a tremendous program over the years with great coaching and a supportive Administration. I for one admires what they have accomplished. As stated before ,most of the Public schools Adminstration is not as supportive. The fact that Harrisburg and Northeast dont have numbers is no reflection on the Prep. It would be an interesting thought to have the state champions from Pa., NJ. MD and Ohio play in a bowl like situation although it will never happen.

I’m guessing they could start their workouts at 5pm, or skip them altogether and the score would be similar. It’s the Jimmies and the Joes, not the Xs and Os.
Its both !!!! Take a look at Imhotep vs Pine Richland. Tep had the Jimmies and Joes and PR had and the xs and os with one super player.

People assume Prep gets students that live half the state away. It would be interesting to know the actual distance the Prep gets players from. I would guess the furthest could be 20 miles in order to get to school within an hour and a half. The NJ students are probably closer. Why is this different from PCC,McD ECP and the rest of the Catholic schools in the state. The rest of the PCl also has open borders. prep to their credit has established a tremendous program over the years with great coaching and a supportive Administration. I for one admires what they have accomplished. As stated before ,most of the Public schools Adminstration is not as supportive. The fact that Harrisburg and Northeast dont have numbers is no reflection on the Prep. It would be an interesting thought to have the state champions from Pa., NJ. MD and Ohio play in a bowl like situation although it will never happen.
That’s what I don’t understand. I think the ppl that use “they get players from jersey” argument don’t know how close jersey bridge is to the school.

Most Prep players (and students) live 5-15 miles from the school. There have always been a few who commuted from much longer distances (e.g. Trenton and Reading), but I can't recall any football or basketball players among them. What's changed is that there are now five to ten players who live 20-50 miles from the Prep. Brad Harris, for instance, (now at Rutgers) lived in Vineland NJ when he went to the Prep and there's a current player from Little Egg Harbor NJ. Those two places are probably a little over 50 miles from the Prep. And Perkasie PA must by 35 miles from the Prep.

Reactions: Bighead75
ADVERTISEMENT