ADVERTISEMENT

O’Hara HC Search???

ChesterStyle

Nov 7, 2014
Anyone have any info or insight about this job that just became available over the weekend? Seems odd with the timing but what will it take to bring this program back to relevance?

Wow, what happened to Coach Hogan? Is he still the AD? If I remember correctly, he came as a Division 1 position coach. Maybe he is headed back to the collegiate level? Either way, best of luck to him.

Reactions: D1sideline
Anyone have any info or insight about this job that just became available over the weekend? Seems odd with the timing but what will it take to bring this program back to relevance?
I would hope that if Mike Watkins ,former HC at Bishop McDevitt is interested ,He will be a consideration . I believe he is currently an assistant at Archbishop Wood .

As of now, Hogan is still the AD but I can't see that continuing.

Watkins would be a great choice. It seems he really had Mcdevitt headed in the right direction. I think he could get O’Hara back to being competitive in the PCL Blue division (and eventually state-wide). I’m not sure if there are any other intriguing candidates out there?

Reactions: lilromeo
Hogan was asked to resign-he refused, so he was fired. Not only was he retained as AD, he is also in charge of alumni support. Definitely an awkward situation, and probably more to the story to come. The real issue is lack of enrolment. They went from one of the bigger catholic high schools in the country to being smaller than Bonner/Prendie-which was on the Archdiocese death list 10 years ago.

Speed, why the precipitous decline in enrollment at O’Hara? Why hasn’t Bonner been effected as significantly as O’Hara? Just curious as I’m not too familiar with Delco. Thanks

BJ was not asked to resign from what i know. Sounds like it was a shock to him from what I saw in the paper.
I am not Familiar with Watkins. How long was he at Mcdevitt

BJ was not asked to resign from what i know. Sounds like it was a shock to him from what I saw in the paper.
I am not Familiar with Watkins. How long was he at Mcdevitt
Watkins was an all Catholic LB at McD and had been HC for 3 years. Since he has been HC McD made it to the state semi-finals twice and quarter finals once.in 2 A. This year would have been the year McD was to have their best team . Several of their players were all catholic at both Wood and Roman last year and return this year. I was hoping he would eventually take over the Wood program.

Be interesting to see. Sounds like he would be a good choice. Travel could be an issue if he’s coming from that area I assume.

Speed, why the precipitous decline in enrollment at O’Hara? Why hasn’t Bonner been effected as significantly as O’Hara? Just curious as I’m not too familiar with Delco. Thanks
Bonner has been affected. Both schools are similar in size. What I am Told is Bonner is still in financial trouble running in debt each year

Reactions: Bighead75
Bonner has been affected. Both schools are similar in size. What I am Told is Bonner is still in financial trouble running in debt each year
I believe that most of the Philadelphia Archdiocese high schools are in some financial trouble.

Hogan was asked to resign-he refused, so he was fired. Not only was he retained as AD, he is also in charge of alumni support. Definitely an awkward situation, and probably more to the story to come. The real issue is lack of enrolment. They went from one of the bigger catholic high schools in the country to being smaller than Bonner/Prendie-which was on the Archdiocese death list 10 years ago.
You are a Ridley guy. Any truth to Ewing interviewing for the Ohara job

I cannot confirm, but there is an obvious family link there. But his stature as the Ridley OC is probably not going to be any higher coming off a rare season where he had both a 2,000 yard passer AND a 2,000 yard rusher. But I am not sure how desirable the job is. They are going to have to actually get out there and recruit ( this is not a pro or anti recruit post). For years and years, that area of Delco had a steady stream of feeder schools to both Ohara & St James. When St James closed , Ohara got a bulk of those kids as well. So all those local parishes and CYO programs kids automatically went to OHara, so there was very little recruiting done, other than maybe show up at a CYO all star game , etc. Simply put, there are now less Catholic school kids, less catholic parish schools, therefore less of a pool of kids to pick from. So if you want to get that good athlete from St. Dots, you need to show him some love or he's going elsewhere.

Reactions: lilromeo
Anybody know why Brady left his job in MD at St. Mary’s? I know he had some issues when he left Malvern (I believe it was mid season). He seems to be a very good coach. This would be a good get by O’Hara.

I’m assuming that means it is Brady considering he’d have to relocate from MD?

Very well could be, but other rumors said he didn't make it to next round.
not sure what finalist would need a teaching job.

I was told by an alum all four finalist are not teachers. Four out of the six applicants moved on from the first round. They had six candidates apply. Final interviews were last week, not sure why s new coach is not hired.

Fan is spot on, only thing to add is alumni in disagreement holding everything up. I did hear 4 went to 2nd round, but it's down to final 2.
Still hearing 1 wants some type of additional job.

Teaching jobs are tough in the Catholic school system, not like a true private school where you can create a job. Final interviews concluded middle of Last week, announcement should be soon.

Fan is spot on, only thing to add is alumni in disagreement holding everything up. I did hear 4 went to 2nd round, but it's down to final 2.
Still hearing 1 wants some type of additional job.
This is the same alumni who wanted hogan to resign all while having no plan in place. Alumni holding it up doesn’t seem shocking.

Last I heard a decision hasn’t been made yet. Still sorting it all out. decision should be in before the week is over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT