ADVERTISEMENT

LaSalle and Prep out of the PCL????

IrishCB

Jul 4, 2012
I figured I would stir the pot on a slow football week. Can anyone explain to me and the rest of the city why would the new President of West Catholic would put forth such a proposal. This makes no sense to me what so ever. I could see being the new guy wanting to make waves, but this is just plain asinine.

I don't really know anything about this, but just one correction. Brother Richard Kessler isn't a "new" guy. He's been back at WC for a few years now. Served at WC in the past. And in between was at LaSalle. Not sure if he was president there or principal.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing his reasoning, too.

Tulla, I will post more info as I get it. From what I was told this was proposed at a meeting with the school presidents. I should know more shortly.

This will never happen but to think it would never come up is just as preposterous. It's math plain and simple. If you are an archdiocesean high school no matter who comes through your doors you owe downtown a number on a per head basis. No way to avoid it. You get a financial aid package from downtown and can fundraise but at end of day you owe downtown on per pupil basis.

Prep and LaSalle operate on their own. If they want to bring a kid in and within the context of their business plan and they want to write it off they can. From a business model standpoint that is gigantic. School still needs to make money and admittedly both places have garnered way more alumni support than any archdiocesean school but it's a major difference. The presidents at other schools don't have the same flexibility.

Look at Drew Gordon. When people say he lacked the organizational commitment what does everybody think that means? I'll spell it out. It means the administration isn't writing off the same level of tuition and the alumni pure financial support to pay tutition isn't where it needs to be to compete with Prep. Point blank. It's a money game name. La Salle and Prep are only two around that have the ability to do that and not have to pay a nut to downtown. West can fund raise and bring in as many people as they want but downtown needs to be paid first. There's no we are writing off this amount. As the schools are increasingly run by business people as presidents who understand the math first to think they would not question why their are two schools with a different format in their league is laughable. Again nothing going to change but my analogy is it's likely having a bunch of publically traded companies and two privately held businesses. Claerly they can run themselves differently. Both have their own challanges but one can understand why a president would question it. Money,unions, management all issues that are different at those two versus everyone else.

I understand your point but wonder about basketball where the situation seems very different. I know we're talking about a big difference in the number of players, but it's not as if most football players at SJP and LaSalle get substantial financial support.

Huck, you're right; Brother Richard has been on both sides of the fence at LaSalle and West. I would think he has a balanced perspective and a voice that deserves an audience.

I have zero knowledge of the inter-workings of the PCL; why are LaSalle and Prep allowed to operate differently?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Joe,

The other schools are diocesan schools, which means they are the creations of the archdiocese, with the principals appointed by an archdiocesan official, with the teachers under the same contract, the tuition established by the archdiocese, their buildings and land owned by the archdiocese, etc The Prep and LaSalle are both Catholic schools, but they have their own governance, own their own land and buildings, negotiate separately with their teachers, decide on their own tuition rates, etc. They're founding members of the Catholic League and have, at least until very recently, drawn most of their students from archdiocesan elementary schools. (When I was a student at SJP every student was from a Catholic family. Now a number of students, and not just athletes, are not. It's a different world.)

The bottom line in this discussion is that they have financial autonomy while the other league schools do not. Their tuition rates are, last I checked, about four times what the other schools charge. They each have programs to help families who can't afford the full tuition--as do the other league schools, but it's obviously on a different scale. Finally, both LaSalle and SJP are more academically selective and demanding than the other schools, though how much more selective and demanding is sometimes disputed.

Tulla, you forgot to add that Prep and LaSalle have bigger recruiting budgets than the other schools, although Wood is coming up fast! That is what I have heard from some of the experts on this board! Although, with Wood offering signing bonuses to get juniors to jump from area public schools, Wood might even have a higher recruiting budget than SJP & LS combined. Again, just what I have heard on the board!

nj, I'm not on the inside at SJP, so I don't know if there is a recruiting budget per se. SJP, because its tuition is so much higher than that of the archdiocesan schools, has to offer more financial help to many students/families who need it, whether the students are athletes or not. Same must be the case at LaSalle. I'm not sure you can draw a clear line between the financial aid the school offers and any additional support the athletic programs can offer. And just so no one out there thinks this sounds like student-athletes get paid to go to the Prep, what I'm talking about are ways of making it possible or easier for kids from families who can't afford the full cost of going to SJP (which this year is $20,800, not including books, transportation, and fees) to go to the school. It's still going to cost the family a good bit more than if the kid went to a public high school.

What I'm curious about--especially in light of what the fellow at WC is reported as saying--is how RC, NG, and AC manage to get the talent they've been getting for a number of years now for their basketball programs if, as Archdiocesan schools, their hands are tied budget-wise. And your comment about Wood and its football program raises the same sort of questions.

Sorry Tulla, I was just kidding with the recruiting budgets and signing bonuses. Maybe I should have thrown in the "fact" that airline tickets are covered from the budget, to make it more obvious! Kind of a shot at the "recruiting accusations" guys on the board, again all tongue in cheek!

That was my fault, nj. There's been so much talk about SJP and recruiting, especially since December, that I sometimes automatically go into "explaining what should be obvious" mode.

I was at a Prep/Bonner FB game maybe 6 years ago and had a Bonner crew mom tell me that The Prep was paying for housing for the top rowers in the country........I moved to another seat lol!

I heard that The PREP football and crew members do not pay tuition and eat for free in the caf. Any PREP supporters have inside info on this?

It's all rumor. It is amazing how quickly things get exaggerated. The truth is the parents eat for free and the students get free snickers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT