ADVERTISEMENT

La Salle-St. Joe Prep

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
Let the discussion begin!! Saturday, 1:00 at PW.

I have the Prep favored by 9. It is playoffs though so anything can happen. Password at The Ale House is "Gil". Yesman picked that. I wonder if that's short for Gil Thorpe? Yesman??

I have the Prep favored by 9. It is playoffs though so anything can happen. Password at The Ale House is "Gil". Yesman picked that. I wonder if that's short for Gil Thorpe? Yesman??

Brooks.. :D

Paul,
Yes, I have Prep at 7+ as well, but we are hopeful.. May need a '06 title game like scenario, well maybe not that extreme!!!

prep by14, cant make the ale house, have one for me.

'06 was truly a strange game ... 4 turnovers by SJP inside the LS 5 yard line. And one turnover returned 99 yards for TD and ultimately the difference. The stat lines were disturbingly favored by SJP but the score is what matters ... 'And that's why you play the games'.
I suspect LS is a much different team at this point. And they will make adjustments on defense. This game could be close and may come down to final possession. It's always a spirited contest.
With that being said, I still hope Prep kicks their ass.

LaSalle can't have 5 turnovers give up a kick return and lose 20 yards on a snap from the Prep 3 yard line if they want to have any hope to win. I'll agree with yesman3 and say Prep by 7. The game will all come down to who Ricky picks to win. If he picks the Prep to win by 10+ expect LaSalle to win. Just like 2009.

It wasn't as if SJP played a flawless game against LaSalle last month and for quite a stretch it seemed the refs were doing everything possible to get LaSalle back into it--a double personal foul against SJP resulting from a pile up over a loose ball (anyone ever see one before?), a ruling that Swift had fumbled the ball when it seemed clear to me he was down, and the most egregious spot I've even seen that gave LaSalle a first down late in the third quarter.

I expect a reasonably close game, but SJP had too many offensive weapons--Prep by two TDs.

LaSalle can't have 5 turnovers give up a kick return and lose 20 yards on a snap from the Prep 3 yard line if they want to have any hope to win. I'll agree with yesman3 and say Prep by 7. The game will all come down to who Ricky picks to win. If he picks the Prep to win by 10+ expect LaSalle to win. Just like 2009.

Too funny!!! There is definitely a Ricky "inverse" factor to his predictions when it comes to LS, historically.

Although last week he was dead on..

My mind tells me 7+(plus), my heart tells me otherwise. Got to have faith!! That's why we continue to support the mission of the school and go to the games, even after your son has matriculated! The brotherhood forged with those parents is as strong as it was when the boys where roaming the halls. I'm sure Prep parents/alumni sing the same tune. These are two very special places, our opinion of coarse..
ahhh, enough with the PC, kick-um back behind that barbed wired school at 17th & Girard!! :D

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if it's a repeat of last year. Prep was clearly the better team in the regular season and seemed a little caught off guard by the wildcat with #14. No chance of that happening again. Could be borderline mercy rule again.

Can anyone give a run down of the Prep-LaSalle series from the past 5 years or so?

From the Wizard: La Salle in........

2009....... lost the regular season game and won the PCL Championship game.
2010........won the regular season game.
2011........won the regular season game.
2012........lost the regular season game and won the PCL Championship game.
2013 .......lost the regular season and the PCL Championship game.
2014........lost the regular season and the PCL Championship game.

Those last two lines hurt!!!

Reactions: ed o'brien
Can anyone give a run down of the Prep-LaSalle series from the past 5 years or so?

JK,
SJP on a run currently, haven't lost since class of '13 graduated, LaSalle's last PCL FB title.

Go to lschs.org navigate through the prompts, get yourself to varsity football, may scroll to a particular year if you desire as highlights may present on a given game.

...or you can reach out to "Wizzard of Wyndmoor" on this site, he IS the encyclopedia of LS football. Anything you want to know!!!

Heading to the game this Saturday and hoping to see a great clash. However, Im expecting to see a repeat of last year as well if... LaSalle trots out the same game plan as the first game and think they will exploit St. Joes again. Didn't happen last year, wont happen this year. St. Joe's studies LaSalle from the first game on. They will be the aggressor in taking advantage of LaSalle's schemes just like last year. Expect blitzes that are similar but have not been used by St. Joes. That was what led to the championship BEAT DOWN last year and will lead to another! Not as bad though, Prep by 3 TD'S

Justice Under Guidance

"Barbed wired school" ... We should all hope our property values appreciate as much as Francisville has!!! Yep - new homes within a block or two of the Prep for $400k+ and they are everywhere - some over $500k !?

A lot of energy in that area. Beautiful brownstones and Fairmount. Pretty nice!
Maybe if some of the LS folk weren't so focused on their own utopia, you wouldn't be afraid of the city and would notice it's mostly new construction including to the east. Obviously LS has white boards in the class rooms but they're not used for geography. Directionally, try looking up Fishtown and Northern Liberties.

Heading to the game this Saturday and hoping to see a great clash. However, Im expecting to see a repeat of last year as well if... LaSalle trots out the same game plan as the first game and think they will exploit St. Joes again. Didn't happen last year, wont happen this year. St. Joe's studies LaSalle from the first game on. They will be the aggressor in taking advantage of LaSalle's schemes just like last year. Expect blitzes that are similar but have not been used by St. Joes. That was what led to the championship BEAT DOWN last year and will lead to another! Not as bad though, Prep by 3 TD'S

As said before LaSalle can't make turnovers and expect to win. The past games won by the Prep and the scores had little to do with game plan and more to do about execution. Prep certainly has more talent but then again they had more talent in EVERY PCL championship played between the two since 2006 if you use College offers as the gauge.

I expect a close game but Prep by 7+ however still waiting on Ricky's prediction.

Maybe if some of the LS folk weren't so focused on their own utopia, you wouldn't be afraid of the city and would notice it's mostly new construction including to the east. Obviously LS has white boards in the class rooms but they're not used for geography. Directionally, try looking up Fishtown and Northern Liberties.

Roxy, be serious. To the immediate east is Ridge. You want to tell me that's gentrified. Northern Liberties is down by the river. You've got 16 blocks to get to the river. That my friend is called North Philly!! How's my geography??

As said before LaSalle can't make turnovers and expect to win. The past games won by the Prep and the scores had little to do with game plan and more to do about execution. Prep certainly has more talent but then again they had more talent in EVERY PCL championship played between the two since 2006 if you use College offers as the gauge.

I expect a close game but Prep by 7+ however still waiting on Ricky's prediction.
No way did the Prep have more talent in '10 and '11. In '12 they probably did but whatever talent difference there was was at the underclass level, and in any case the championship game was decided by a PAT.

As for game plans, LaSalle had the better one in the '12 game and really should have been well ahead at halftime. Since then, especially in the last two championship games, the Prep has had the better plan--as well as more talent.

I agree that LaSalle's turnovers have hurt them in the last several games against the Prep, but it's not as is the Prep hasn't made any. (I think they made an equal number in the last game.) One key Saturday will be how well the Prep's passing game works. It doesn't have to be great but just good enough to prevent LaSalle from focusing almost entirely on containing SJP's ground game. Even then, unless the Prep fumbles a few times, their running game alone will put a few TDs on the board.

Roxy, be serious. To the immediate east is Ridge. You want to tell me that's gentrified. Northern Liberties is down by the river. You've got 16 blocks to get to the river. That my friend is called North Philly!! How's my geography??
Paul -
While my intention is to build some lather on the board for this game, Ridge is immediately west of Prep and yes, it is being developed in that area. The biggest project is now the hotel Divine which is on North Broad. Dude, you really need to get off the utopian hill and see what's happening. You must me one of those 'Microsoft Certified' grads.

Paul -
While my intention is to build some lather on the board for this game, Ridge is immediately west of Prep and yes, it is being developed in that area. The biggest project is now the hotel Divine which is on North Broad. Dude, you really need to get off the utopian hill and see what's happening. You must me one of those 'Microsoft Certified' grads.
I wouldn't buy a map from either of you two. Although it does not run parallel to Girard Ave, Ridge Ave is South of the Prep.

I wouldn't buy a map from either of you two. Although it does not run parallel to Girard Ave, Ridge Ave is South of the Prep.
But since it's on a diagonal, it's southeast, west, and northwest--as well as south--of SJP. No?

To me it is Sourhwest, to be precise. I used the axis to my advantage. I should know ... Lived just off Ridge below Girard and baptized at the Gesu.

Ridge runs diagonal, yes. But if you look west from the front steps of the Prep you're looking at Ridge Ave and the BP station on it.

Justice Under Guidance

"Barbed wired school" ... We should all hope our property values appreciate as much as Francisville has!!! Yep - new homes within a block or two of the Prep for $400k+ and they are everywhere - some over $500k !?

Can't believe it took you 3 days to respond Roxy, you're slipping! ;)

Idk, my Prep friends tell me the gating/fencing surrounding Prep "proper" is the same used at Graterford and Holmesburg? :confused:

No way did the Prep have more talent in '10 and '11. In '12 they probably did but whatever talent difference there was was at the underclass level, and in any case the championship game was decided by a PAT.

As for game plans, LaSalle had the better one in the '12 game and really should have been well ahead at halftime. Since then, especially in the last two championship games, the Prep has had the better plan--as well as more talent.

I agree that LaSalle's turnovers have hurt them in the last several games against the Prep, but it's not as is the Prep hasn't made any. (I think they made an equal number in the last game.) One key Saturday will be how well the Prep's passing game works. It doesn't have to be great but just good enough to prevent LaSalle from focusing almost entirely on containing SJP's ground game. Even then, unless the Prep fumbles a few times, their running game alone will put a few TDs on the board.

Tulla I agree with 10 and 11 but my point was PCL Championship games not regular season. So 06, 08, 09 and 12. As for turnovers, sure the prep had turnovers too but the point is if a team has more talent you can't have turnovers and expect to win. Good example would be 2009 regular season with 3 ints as I remember in the lasalle loss

By the way Swift did fumble last game and the spot was made by a LaSalle alumni. I miss Slam asking about all those missed holding penalties.

Should be a good game. The team that wins gets back to Hershey.

Can't believe it took you 3 days to respond Roxy, you're slipping! ;)

Idk, my Prep friends tell me the gating/fencing surrounding Prep "proper" is the same used at Graterford and Holmesburg? :confused:
That would make it a "proper" fence.
My LaSalle friends tell me that parts of gym class include the specialized Wyndmoor arm stretch so self back patting can be done with ease.

Roxy,
Ed's giving you extra bonus points for spelling Wyndmoor correctly, often not done.

Enjoy the day, see you tomorrow..
I have to give credit to Jesuits for that. Let's hope for a safe enjoyable day. Looks like solid football weather.

Reactions: yesman3
Congrats to the Explorers - unfortunately, being out of town, I was unable to be there. Sounds like it did come down to last possession.

Prep has had some offensive dilemmas lately while LS has remained consistent. Also, success lends itself to contempt or content depending on how you see it. It's happened to each staff now at SJP in present and past and LS previous staff. Good luck to Coach Steinmetz and his team as they move forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT