ADVERTISEMENT

Infante to Temple!!

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
Why not? Local guy. Won't have to pick up and move and it seems the Temple job is a stepping stone to the big time programs!! I mean how many state championships do you want to win before it gets old!!

Paul... going from Prep to Temple..as HC will never happen..he needs college experience recruiting, fund raising etc..but I'm willing to have some fun with it... I think you said on a thread... your a Wood grad).. if Infante gets the Temple job I will swear blind loyalty to Wood for a season (actually it would make my wife happy so there's something in it for me LOL)...if he does not.. you have to bring your (how do I say this??? ) "passion" that you have for the PCL to NP for a season...

SammyK... I thought the same thing about Mike Jr. once the announcement was made..

If Temple hires a HS football coach they are the dumbest college on this planet. There are thousands of applicants with finer credentials. I think the usual progression happens like this: Successful HS coach> College position coach> College Coordinator> College HC.

Paul... going from Prep to Temple..as HC will never happen..he needs college experience recruiting, fund raising etc..but I'm willing to have some fun with it... I think you said on a thread... your a Wood grad).. if Infante gets the Temple job I will swear blind loyalty to Wood for a season (actually it would make my wife happy so there's something in it for me LOL)...if he does not.. you have to bring your (how do I say this??? ) "passion" that you have for the PCL to NP for a season...

SammyK... I thought the same thing about Mike Jr. once the announcement was made..

No GB, I'm a La Salle boy so you have to swear blind loyalty to La Salle. It's not so bad! No more football championships mind you but plenty of swimming trophies!!

As an aside question, do you think Temple is a "big time" program? Without a fan base, I don't see it.

They have been solid to good the past couple of years and there is no reason why they can't be a 8-10 game winner every year

They have been solid to good the past couple of years and there is no reason why they can't be a 8-10 game winner every year

That is true but think of the conference they're in. With TV the way it is today, everyone gets air time but you need that fan base to be taken seriously. If Western Michigan had lost the other night, do you think the Cotton Bowl would want anything to do with Temple being a contestant? They have a good basketball team with a rich history but they can't even sell out the Apollo for games!! It's a commuter college, a very, very good college mind you but still a commuter college.

Last edited:
No GB, I'm a La Salle boy so you have to swear blind loyalty to La Salle. It's not so bad! No more football championships mind you but plenty of swimming trophies!!

As an aside question, do you think Temple is a "big time" program? Without a fan base, I don't see it.

LaSalle it is...I think we have a wager...plus I look good in blue and gold.,..

(I went to Temple for my under-grad degree) ..Temple as a big time program..that's a complicated Q...from a wins and loses perspective..it was on it's way a few times..Arians had a good program..when Golden was there he was winning.. he went to the U and fell off the map.. when Rhule took over he was in the process of getting them to the next level (B2B 10 win seasons) wins the last two years against quality opponents.. almost upsetting ND last year...doing it with a lot of tri-state kids.. Rhule was a good recruiter..and got kids to buy into his system (i.e. players having to earn the right to wear a single digit numbered jersey - they took that as a badge of honor)...he was able to get Russo (Nike elite 11 finalist) to commit over other "big" programs

as you get more wins over other big programs the fans will come. but unlike a PSU, ND etc.. they won't last if you have a losing season.... there has always been a strong fan base for college basketball in philly but football has struggled.. I think a large part of it has to do with them playing on the other side of the city.. if you can get the students more involved I think it would have a good chance to build the fan base... they have a good player base this year returning... they will need to get a big name coach in and he'll have to find a way to keep them all there..

The other issue is Philly is a huge sports town (4 pro teams).. plus college hoops has a big following (the old big 5 still draws a big crowd).. in a sense you are competing with 6 or 7 teams to grab your part of the sports fans dollar and there is only so much to go around..... go to state college no pro sports, same with a lot of other college towns..

So I guess the short version is.. they need to get another big time coach in, and they figure a way to get the students more involved..even though school has over 37K students about half commute..in state college you walk accords campus to go to the game.. at Temple it's a subway ride.. I lost track on what was happening with the stadium they were talking about building.. if it ever gets completed that would be a big push in getting them there..

That is true but think of the conference they're in. With TV the way it is today, everyone gets air time but you need that fan base to be taken seriously. If Western Michigan had lost the other night, do you think the Cotton Bowl would want anything to do with Temple being a contestant? They have a good basketball team with a rich history but they can't even sell out the Apollo for games!! It's a commuter college, a very, very good college mind you but still a commuter college.

If W Mich lost.. Temple was one of the teams being considered for the Cotton Bowl..as we both mentioned Temple has a lot of commuting students.. look at USC and UCLA.. very same type of situation.. a lot of the games have smaller crowds.. but they do draw them in for the big games..
Temple has really invented itself over the last 10 years..to get them over the top.. they'll need to bring in a big time name..

If W Mich lost.. Temple was one of the teams being considered for the Cotton Bowl..as we both mentioned Temple has a lot of commuting students.. look at USC and UCLA.. very same type of situation.. a lot of the games have smaller crowds.. but they do draw them in for the big games..
Temple has really invented itself over the last 10 years..to get them over the top.. they'll need to bring in a big time name..

I agree that USC and UCLA are sort of the same but they both have strong history with football and they've been in a conference for a long time. What history does Temple have other than recent? Wayne Hardin? Steve Joachim? Paul Palmer???

PFP you are right about Temple but you have to start somewhere and the past couple of years are a great start. Right now Temple needs to keep playing Penn State get that rivalry going and in the AAC you could build a good rival with UCONN, NAVY, Cincy ect. It is there just have to find a way to keep it going

Reactions: paul from philly

We haven't been a commuter school in over a decade. We have more on-campus housing demand than we have supply. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You could ask Devlin the same question.
Every team recruits in college, not like HS where only a couple teams recruit. Would be interesting to see how these guys would make out on a level playing field. Bud Wilkinson was great at Oklahoma but when he coached in the Pros he was a failure. In the NFL every team gets paid.

Paul you are on fire...swimming! Ha! Temple ain't an easy job, but there is no reason they can't keep it going in the AAC. They have been fun.

We haven't been a commuter school in over a decade. We have more on-campus housing demand than we have supply. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

If that is the case, then I stand corrected. But if that is the case, where are the fans? The attendance for the East Carolina game, the biggest game of the season up to that point, was just 20,000. I would agree there is more competition for the fans dollar but aside from the students where are the fans to support a big time program?

Reactions: lilromeo

JHG.. I agree that the demand for on campus housing does exceed availability .. but that's not really a fair statement without quantifying it.. the off campus choices are pretty bad.. if you move off campus by more then a block or two.. not much to choose from.. and without Temple security close by

also from an economic perspective.. living in a dorm with room and board fully loaded is about 10K using round numbers (one of my kids also goes there).. if you get an off campus option that is with 2 blocks to main campus thats in good shape.. when it's all said and done including food, rent etc.. your looking at about 13K.. to some people 3K is still a lot of money

Last edited:
JHG.. I agree that the demand for on campus housing does exceed availability .. but that's not really a fair statement without quantifying it.. the off campus choices are pretty bad.. if you move off campus by more then a block or two.. not much to choose from.. and without Temple security close by

also from an economic perspective.. living in a dorm with room and board fully loaded is about 10K using round numbers (one of my kids also goes there).. if you get an off campus option that is with 2 blocks to main campus thats in good shape.. when it's all said and done including food, rent etc.. your looking at about 13K.. to some people 3K is still a lot of money

No one said you were required to live within 2 blocks of campus...

Get Joe Moorhead on the phone ASAP if you're temple.

IMO Joe Moorhead didn't take a step down from HC to OC to become a HC at a MAC/AAC school. He wants a P5 HC job. He's probably making at PSU as a coordinator almost what Temple would pay him to be head coach.

Perhaps he takes a P5 job (like Oregon) this year? But I think not.

Instead, with what he has coming back at PSU next year...plus what is coming off RS, they may make the 1994 PSU Offense look like a slow, ball control offense. He'll have his pick of jobs next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT