ADVERTISEMENT

IMG

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
Very interesting and revealing article in the New York Times about IMG:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/s...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Given the real risk of career-altering or career-ending injuries in football, the actual chances of a player making the NFL, and the average length of an NFL career, it seems a terrible idea to give up a normal experience of high school for a few years in a football academy. I wonder how many of the players there do community service or join the chemistry club.

Reactions: lilromeo
Very interesting and revealing article in the New York Times about IMG:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/s...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Given the real risk of career-altering or career-ending injuries in football, the actual chances of a player making the NFL, and the average length of an NFL career, it seems a terrible idea to give up a normal experience of high school for a few years in a football academy. I wonder how many of the players there do community service or join the chemistry club.
Tulla, thanks for posting. I think IMG is ok for the right kind of kid, one who is very serious like Patterson is. It's not really the start of a huge national trend nor the true end of high school football, as one other poster said. And, you have to consider that it's the New York Times, which loves to attack successful organizations; they recently did an article about how difficult it is to work at Amazon.com, as if it's just a walk in the park working for a highly successful company. And Cocoa was never going to be a match for IMG; they have had some good teams, but don't field a huge roster any more, just some good athletes and tough kids, but no depth. I am going to try to get up to IMG in two weeks, when they host St. Joe (Montvale). Their game at Bergen Catholic tomorrow will be interesting.

Not saying Europe does it right but their sports clubs in Italy, Spain, and Germany (and likely elsewhere) have academies like IMG. They take promising young soccer (and basketball) players and train them correctly starting at an early age...AND give them an education. If they pan out, they're pros. Its an alternative.

How will 7 on 7 passing leagues be the downfall of high school football ?

7 on 7 leagues run and coached by High School coaches wont be a problem. Its when kids start listening to their AAU 7on7 coach and not playing with their HS team is when problems arise. Most of the AAU 7on7 teams are coached by guys who dont know a thing about football and its a bad habit creator. Look what AAU has done to high school basketball. AAU hoops is a joke. You dont want that element creeping into high school football

Reactions: lilromeo
yep

you are 100 percent right.. Keep them dirty aau wannabe street agents OUT of football.. they are trying to creep into the 7 on 7 world... Well said.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Agreed.
They're the same guys who take credit for the kids success. It's pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT