ADVERTISEMENT

Garnet Vs. Pennsbury...??

Oct 15, 2018
Any thoughts or comments on the this one???

I heard from sources that garnet totally dominated... wasnt even a game.

Does quakertown have a chance?

Is Garnet the real deal this year???

GV has been the real deal for a few years now. One of the best programs in the area. Do they have the talent to beat Coatesville? I highly doubt it, but they are very good. I guess it depends on your definition of “the real deal.”

Pennsbury was down this year by their standards. They were a very average SOL team and that won’t get the job done against a team of GV’s caliber. I don’t think the result was the least bit surprising. I’ll take GV over Quakertown by 3 scores this week.

It will be another mercy rule game .Pennsbury lines up in a 1 tech and a 3 tech to triple option veer midline team. By doing that you are basically forfeiting defensively.

I heard from sources that garnet totally dominated... wasnt even a game.

The 49 - 14 score didn't give you a hint?

GV doesn't do anything special. Block and tackle. Their entire O line seems to be 5 yards downfield on every play. Nothing sexy, but damn effective. It was fun to watch them do it to Pennsbury. When they did the same thing to Neshaminy a few years ago, not so much.

Reactions: Concretechuck
Their Achilles heel.... while fundamentally sound, well disciplined, and overall a great team, they don’t have the skill talent to matchup, unless they get favorable weather, which could also affect them with the pitch.

Their Achilles heel.... while fundamentally sound, well disciplined, and overall a great team, they don’t have the skill talent to matchup, unless they get favorable weather, which could also affect them with the pitch.
Couldn’t agree more Concrete; you’ve been calling it correct all year and early. What’s your insights into Skins and Falcons?

Reactions: Concretechuck
Reluctant -

GV has been a strong program for years and that smackdown at "The Ridge" - owwww (I prefer to recall the 21-14 'Skins win down there in the "Ice Bowl").

They'll meet again.

@Sportsguyjimmy1212 - no I am speaking on GV. I am not knocking them, I am saying that as they advance further in the playoffs, the less it will matter how much they do well. Their is a cap on their skill positions abilities, and when your talking about lining up against CV, you have to do everything that GV does well, plus match up up with skills. Guys being in the right position won’t matter “all the time.”

Neshaminy vs NP:

Little bit of payback on the line... however I do not think one team is marginally better. I will wait to make a prediction based off of a potential change in venue due to weather.

Last edited:
It will be another mercy rule game .Pennsbury lines up in a 1 tech and a 3 tech to triple option veer midline team. By doing that you are basically forfeiting defensively.

Thank you for pointing this out. Lined up in the same defense all game with no apparent adjustments. Not that it would have mattered, but expected something (anything) different after halftime, but no such luck. Thank you, sir, may I have another? And it is worth mentioning that I don't recall GV using the third-option pitch man one time. It was really just dive back/second back or dive back/QB keep with a couple counter plays mixed in (and 4 passes, one for TD). Best (worst) play was: QB opened to his right while RBs ran into each other on a mixup. QB waited a second, realized no RB was coming and calmly tucked into the 2-hole himself. He was tackled 77 yards later.

In your opinion, what is the best defense/scheme to stop the GV offense?

I don't know about scheme, but they better have a stud line and backers because GV is coming right up the gut until you stop them. I've never seen so many dives go for 20+ yards.

In watching them play Ridley over the years , you have a few options :

1. Bang the QB on every play. Every play, even at the risk of a penalty. When they play mediocre,they are prone to the QB putting the ball on the ground. The scary thing about the Pennsbury game was they put up 49 with a back up QB .

2. They also have been known in prior years to be much worse on defense than offense. So you can get into a shootout with them if you have the skill to do it ( see Coatesville last year ) . Or you can run the ball like they do and play keep awAy and limit their offense possessions. However , in recent years , they have not gone strictly 2 platoon anymore ( they might play 18-19 guys now ) so the disparity in talent between offense and defense is not as pronounced.

Not an easy answer, but smacking the QB early can help alter the timing

We were saying that all week. If he comes out of there with his arm tucked like he has the ball, whoever is keying him should ignore everything else and waffle him. Don't think that happened once when he faked (didn't happen much when he kept it either).

We were saying that all week. If he comes out of there with his arm tucked like he has the ball, whoever is keying him should ignore everything else and waffle him. Don't think that happened once when he faked (didn't happen much when he kept it either).

In the playoff game a few years ago at Heartbreak Ridge, the Skins allowed the QB (great player!) to run around unscathed. You have to hit the maestro if you want to disrupt the maestro. DE or OLB to whatever side the QB goes hits him every play - a few early smacks can really change the flow of the O. That being said, GV coaching is excellent, so I'm sure they're prepared for that scenario.

The best way to beat GV is to get a lead, make them have to throw. They are a machine as far as understanding of their system. Sure, your going to have to play sound assignment football, hit the QB etc. But the best medicine is a to score when you get stops and get them out of their normal sets.

Probably only want to watch the first half of that North Penn game. I realize it wasnt all the defense but they did blow a 28 point lead in the second half. As far as just hitting the qb, its tough. They run that wide veer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT