ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassed to be a Roman Fan

So Imhotep was built with money? You put Crosby at RC and in 2 years he is keeping competitive with SJP, LS and AW. And beating them here and there in 3-4 years. He will recruit the inner city talent that the others don't get or don't want. Truly believe it could happen.

Not apples to apples. I think Albie could get good players to go to Roman, but not at the level of Imhotep because it's not free and the academic standards at Roman are higher than at Imhotep. The pool of players wouldn't be as deep, IMO.

Is the thought , that if Roman or any red team came knocking Crosby would leave NG?

I don't think this is true. Maybe, a couple of jobs he might explore, but I mostly feel that he stay loyal to NG. At least in the immediate future.

Roman would never hire Crosby lol. They would never take a influx of Transfers, unless they played basketball.

This is true. Even in basketball marquee transfers only really happen 2 per season, if that. Once in a blue moon three. Generally speaking.

I don't think Roman would ever consider hiring Crosby, but he would turn the program around in a 2-3 years. I do believe Roman needs to hire some sort of "outsider." They need fresh ideas and a new program building plan. I think they are a sleeping giant along with FJ. With their strong alumni base, get the right guy directing the program and you can compete with LS, SJP, and AW. Wood did it years ago hiring an outsider in Devlin. Prep did it hiring Brooks then Infante. You can't hire the Religion teacher just because he's in the building.

I think it was a little more than just being a religion teacher in the building that got him hired a second time. One, he stepped away on his own the first time and when he stepped away they were coming off a PCL Red title. He made another title game during his time there, too. He was 63-34 overall, which isn't all that bad. I'm sure there was a comfort level with the administration and Murphy, but I also think they thought he could pick-up where he left off. At least somewhat.

Last edited:
You touch on some realities, but it may also be the case that the general pool of players and potential players is just smaller--and getting smaller every year. To be honest, if my sons were at an age where they would be starting to play organized sports I doubt I'd encourage or even allow them to play football (because of what we now know about brain injuries). I know that makes me something of a hypocrite since I still follow and love the game. But I think more and more parents are feeling that way.

If there's one high school coach in the area who's been out in front about the brain injury situation, it's Infante. I don't mean to suggest he's been doing it for selfish reasons, i.e. to help him with recruiting, but his leadership in the area might be reassuring to some parents.

Also, if you take a look at the teams from SJP and Wood--and, to some extent, LaSalle too--you'll notice that there's a much higher proportion of African-American players than there was, say, ten years ago. (I wonder if there is any PCL school where the proportion isn't at least a bit higher.) There are probably several reasons for this (including, I would say, a change in the demographics of who is and isn't starting to play football at age 10 or 12). Some coaches have been better than others in leading / relating to this new mix of players. I'm not suggesting that some coaches are closet racists, but there are all kinds of changes--including some that have nothing to do with race, like the ways kids now use social media--that mean that what may have worked 10 or 15 years ago probably doesn't work so well.

I definitely agree with the pool of players dwindling. It's survival of the fittest at this point. Also, the emergence of Imhotep is a factor and to a lesser degree developing programs at Gratz, Northeast, possibly Bartram (We'll see after their QB graduates). In 2007 what Pub teams were arguably a Top 25 SE PA program? Washington, right? Anyone else? And outside of say 2008 they probably were backend of the Top 25 SE PA. Now, Imhotep has been a fixture in the top 10 for 4+ years now. Arguably, NE, Gratz, and Bartram are in the 18-35 SE PA range in 2017. So, you have a dwindling pool of players to begin with and now inner-city kids have a few more options with no financial commitment. This isn't going to hurt the LaSalle's or SJ Prep's of the world. It's not going to hurt Wood, who sits out in Bucks County in the middle of flourishing suburban public schools. These programs still get a large portion of their base kids and sprinkle in the talented, skilled, weight ball kid from the Northwest part of the city or wherever else. They can pretty much hand pick who they want. If the kid can do some of the school work, then they'll take care of the financial part of it. At least help in with solid aid. The shrinking pool and emergence of Imhotep and possibly other PUB schools is hurting the other PCL schools the most. Schools like Roman, Judge, Ryan, West, etc....

Reactions: Aragorn
6days it's football. Coaches have egos. I'd bet a lot of money there is at least one guy at Prep and at least one guy at Wood that would apply for the Roman, Judge, Ryan jobs. I don't know a ton about LaSalle's staff, I don't think Gordon wants/needs to be a HC, but I'd still be willing to bet there's a coach or two on staff that could apply to those jobs.

HSFball of course it is natural to gravitate towards someone who has done it before in any aspect of life. But let me ask you this: Which experience would matter more to you: 5-7 years of HC experience with a .500 record, or 7-10 years as an assistant coach learning under Gordon/Infante/Devlin?

Football is an imitation game. Why not imitate the best?

When the Roman job was up a SJP assistant did apply. This individual inquired about traveling and doing some of the things that go on at SJP. This individual wasn't called back for a second interview.

Is there some reason he would not leave NG for a 6A job? I don't think NG is some super job, it's not. He wants to coach and it was really all that was out there that played to his strength .... that is, appealing to those inner city Philly kids that he engages with year round. I suppose he might have found a D1 job, but being in Bucks would take him from his talent base and connections.

A good football program at RC would raise the bar for the school and make it more desirable. Picture RC as a real power ... getting the guys they get today, plus some of the best NG guys, best 'tep guys, best other guys Albie could recruit, etc. They would be a 4th PCL power. The PCL Red could start looking like the North Jersey Super Football Conference. Why not??

Recruit off current HS teams? Of bring in freshman players in that mold and build that way? What do you mean some of the best NG guys, best tep guys? They're NG guys and 'Tep guys, why would they become Roman guys just like that?

Trust me, Roman is solid when it comes to putting students in the seats. NG is not. Therefore, the cutting of corners wouldn't happen as easily at Broad & Vine. Two totally different situations. Two totally different visions.

Recruit off current HS teams? Of bring in freshman players in that mold and build that way? What do you mean some of the best NG guys, best tep guys? They're NG guys and 'Tep guys, why would they become Roman guys just like that?

Trust me, Roman is solid when it comes to putting students in the seats. NG is not. Therefore, the cutting of corners wouldn't happen as easily at Broad & Vine. Two totally different situations. Two totally different visions.
Mostly I mean bring in Freshman that would have gone to the other schools. That would not preclude a couple of transfers that wanted to stay with him. And I'm not suggesting the admin would go for it at Broad & Vine. I am suggesting that if they thought like business people they would consider it. There is a lot of evidence that a successful football program raises the prestige of a school, raises enrollment and other athletic programs. Which raises paid enrollment. Not that simple, I get that. It takes some balance, but schools like RC, FJ, AR are struggling. AW has taken their sports programs to another level and enrollment has followed. They get athletes that could go to other good Bucks county schools for free because they want to play for state championships. Fact.

Mostly I mean bring in Freshman that would have gone to the other schools. That would not preclude a couple of transfers that wanted to stay with him. And I'm not suggesting the admin would go for it at Broad & Vine. I am suggesting that if they thought like business people they would consider it. There is a lot of evidence that a successful football program raises the prestige of a school, raises enrollment and other athletic programs. Which raises paid enrollment. Not that simple, I get that. It takes some balance, but schools like RC, FJ, AR are struggling. AW has taken their sports programs to another level and enrollment has followed. They get athletes that could go to other good Bucks county schools for free because they want to play for state championships. Fact.
Are Roman, Judge, and Ryan all struggling? I understood Ryan was having some enrollment challenges, but I haven't heard anything similar about the other two.

Burrs5 - that is exactly what I mean. How does a top assistant at Prep not get a second interview? I think Roman and Judge both knew who their hires were before the process ever started. And I don't have a problem with either one of those hires at the time. But things are not panning out for whatever reason. Things are getting worse. And I don't want to knock coaches, maybe this is the best they can do with the hand they've been dealt. My point is more directed at these administrations.

Someone said earlier that O'Hara went outside the box to hire Hogan, and that is a great point! I know for a fact O'Hara made it a point to invest in their football program, and I think you will see it pay off in the next few years. Same with Carroll and Connor. They will pass Roman, Judge, Ryan soon.

I also agree with you about Crosby as it pertains to Roman/NG Burrs. Roman does not need Crosby to get kids in the building. NG does. I would worry about a NC situation with Crosby being at these PCL school too. It is nice to have people helping out with tuition, but I think anyone who assumes that those contributions and donations will hold up year to year is being a bit optimistic. NG struggling and taking a chance is a great idea, maybe not so much for other schools.

Tulla - I don't think Roman is struggling. Burrs could probably answer that one better than I ever could. Judge I think is definitely hurting. When the PIAA first added the PCL I believe Judge had the highest PCL enrollment for boys. Now they are 4th...meaning they are the smallest 6A PCL school. Ryan has gone down from where they used to be back in the day, but I believe they have been around the same number for a steady period now.

Last edited:
Does Judge/Roman have a willing alumni booster base to potentially build? I would think Roman certainly does, not sure on Judge. Are they already coordinated? Could they be expanded? I think 'funding' to give these teams a chance to level the playing field would need to come from an active and engaged alumni booster program, not the administrations.

Does Judge/Roman have a willing alumni booster base to potentially build? I would think Roman certainly does, not sure on Judge. Are they already coordinated? Could they be expanded? I think 'funding' to give these teams a chance to level the playing field would need to come from an active and engaged alumni booster program, not the administrations.
I wonder if the assumption that success in football yields substantial enrollment gains is supported by evidence. Also, it may be true for some schools but not for all. How much would becoming competitive in the PCL Red actually help, say, Ryan's enrollment?

The success SJP had in Brooks's early years did seem to help with enrollment, but there's a question about how much of a difference it made and whether the effect lasted. A case could be made that sometimes changing a principal can have more of an effect.

Agree and fair.

Actually 3, 1 was called back haha Just wanted to tell the guy who said he's not scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT