ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassed to be a Roman Fan

TDjones22

Feb 5, 2015
I had the privilege in watching Roman vs CHA yesterday. It was pathetic, Roman looked like a pub team, CHA out played them and out coached them. Roman's staff should be fired asap for the display they put on yesterday. Murphs time needs to end cause that dude is clueless. I am a Roman alum and was totally embarrassed in what I seen. 21-0 CHA with 2 minutes left when Roman finally scored. The play calling for Roman was so bad, Roman has a stud player but they refuse to get the ball in his hands, Overall Roman is a joke and might beat Roxborough to give good old Murph his 1 win of the season...

I had the privilege in watching Roman vs CHA yesterday. It was pathetic, Roman looked like a pub team, CHA out played them and out coached them. Roman's staff should be fired asap for the display they put on yesterday. Murphs time needs to end cause that dude is clueless. I am a Roman alum and was totally embarrassed in what I seen. 21-0 CHA with 2 minutes left when Roman finally scored. The play calling for Roman was so bad, Roman has a stud player but they refuse to get the ball in his hands, Overall Roman is a joke and might beat Roxborough to give good old Murph his 1 win of the season...

TD,
What's happened down there??... is it just the coaching change that's brought this decline?

Roman was so solid from their upset PCL title victory over Prep in '07 thru the LaSalle 5 year title run, they were really good teams. I recall them being the benefactor of some good SJP players when Coach Brooks was "let go", but that wasn't many...... and certainly ended when Coach Infante was brought on board during Prep's resurgence.

Idk.... I always believe it takes a triad of events to create a wining atmosphere; good coaches, good players who follow those coaches and discretionary Administrative support. Our open border schools certainly have an advantage leveeing that procurement whether we agree/deny it occurs or not..

Who is Roman's best player? 28 Copper? He runs hard but doesn't seem to be a shifty back or have great vision. Thought kid they had last year Gaymon was really good when they played Neshaminy. Two years open tough and then not so good.

Is Springside Chestnut Hill bad? I know they don't challenge for the Inter Ac.

Who is Roman's best player? 28 Copper? He runs hard but doesn't seem to be a shifty back or have great vision. Thought kid they had last year Gaymon was really good when they played Neshaminy. Two years open tough and then not so good.

Is Springside Chestnut Hill bad? I know they don't challenge for the Inter Ac.
Cooper is a nice player. Runs hard. I am assuming that he is talking about #1 Malachi Harris. He's a big time play maker when given the opportunity. #10 Malik Griffin is also a threat to score from anywhere on the field.

TD,
What's happened down there??... is it just the coaching change that's brought this decline?

Roman was so solid from their upset PCL title victory over Prep in '07 thru the LaSalle 5 year title run, they were really good teams. I recall them being the benefactor of some good SJP players when Coach Brooks was "let go", but that wasn't many...... and certainly ended when Coach Infante was brought on board during Prep's resurgence.

Idk.... I always believe it takes a triad of events to create a wining atmosphere; good coaches, good players who follow those coaches and discretionary Administrative support. Our open border schools certainly have an advantage leveeing that procurement whether we agree/deny it occurs or not..

Roman's victory was barely an upset over prep in 2007. Lets be honest here. Look at the two rosters. Roman was clearly the more talented team. Given their blow out loss to prep in the regular season I can see why it was perceived as an upset victory.

They have skilled guys...... they always have one and not the other. Lost some key linemen last yr and I think its showing. Qb play is very shaky, but its granted with a first time starter. The play calling is horrendous. I don't know if they're dumbing it down for the athletes or what but it's bad. Seen the game against WC, they continued to throw wr screens. WC played off man most of the game with the safety down in the box, yet they still couldn't take advantage of that. Played tough against neshaminy as they did last yr.DTE start was amazing but murph couldn't adjust after DTE adjusted. No pass plays that attack the middle of the field. Everything is outside even the run plays. Roman needs to open the process and let outside help come in and lead the ship.

They have skilled guys...... they always have one and not the other. Lost some key linemen last yr and I think its showing. Qb play is very shaky, but its granted with a first time starter. The play calling is horrendous. I don't know if they're dumbing it down for the athletes or what but it's bad. Seen the game against WC, they continued to throw wr screens. WC played off man most of the game with the safety down in the box, yet they still couldn't take advantage of that. Played tough against neshaminy as they did last yr.DTE start was amazing but murph couldn't adjust after DTE adjusted. No pass plays that attack the middle of the field. Everything is outside even the run plays. Roman needs to open the process and let outside help come in and lead the ship.

One could argue that last season Roman had both the athletes and the linemen.

Losing there OC from last year doesn't help o_O they need to pull the plug on this staff an retool. Just sucks for the kids involved the next 2/3 years.

Roman's victory was barely an upset over prep in 2007. Lets be honest here. Look at the two rosters. Roman was clearly the more talented team. Given their blow out loss to prep in the regular season I can see why it was perceived as an upset victory.

I don't recall the rosters to be honest, will defer to your knowledge of those particular teams. I do recall that was during a period where Prep was well into their record 55 game PCL regular season win streak. That streak ended 9/20/08, it lasted many years. Probably why I used the word upset.....for the most part they were the dominant team pre-2008.

Last edited:
I don't recall the rosters to be honest, will defer to your knowledge of those particular teams. I do recall that was during a period where Prep was well into their record 55 game regular season winning streak vs all the PCL teams played. That streak ended 9/20/08, it lasted many years. Probably why I used the word upset.....for the most part they were the dominant team pre-2008.
There's was a lot of back-and-forth on here 10 years ago about whether the Prep or Roman had more talent in '07. I thought the Prep had a little more talent and was a somewhat better team, partly evidenced in their victory over Roman during the regular season. But there were circumstances on that Saturday afternoon of the championship game--injuries, a family bereavement situation, even the weather conditions--that tilted things a bit in Roman's favor. And it was my contention at the time that Brooks' intensity sometimes wasn't so helpful in championship games--'04 vs. O'Hara, '06 vs. LaSalle, '07 vs. Roman, and maybe '09 vs. LaSalle.

There's was a lot of back-and-forth on here 10 years ago about whether the Prep or Roman had more talent in '07. I thought the Prep had a little more talent and was a somewhat better team, partly evidenced in their victory over Roman during the regular season. But there were circumstances on that Saturday afternoon of the championship game--injuries, a family bereavement situation, even the weather conditions--that tilted things a bit in Roman's favor. And it was my contention at the time that Brooks' intensity sometimes wasn't so helpful in championship games--'04 vs. O'Hara, '06 vs. LaSalle, '07 vs. Roman, and maybe '09 vs. LaSalle.

Tulla,
'04 was an abortional catastrophic event !!..... No way Prep should have lost the title that year, they were totally dominant at every position on the field.

'06 just one of those games??.... again positional dominance but you get a goal-line pick six, a goal-line 99 yd fumble return an just enough LS passing to keep some possession. The total yards stat on that game was obscene. Give LS credit, despite the line of scrimmage dominance, those kids fought like it was the last day on earth!

Tulla not to bring up an argument from 10 years ago (haha) but I recall in 2007 Roman's passing game being more of a threat than the Prep's. Roman had the leading receiver in the PCL with Desiderio and a Florida State recruit as the 2nd option. And if anything the conditions played to the benefit of the Prep who had maybe the best front 7/8 that decade with that team. McGoldrick was a stud at safety but the corners weren't anything special. Also I don't recall the Prep missing any starters that game. Gil decided to throw the ball 30 times in 40 mph winds. Outstanding game nevertheless.

But I digress. To get back to Roman. Murphy's best year as a head coach was 2007. He went out and brought in assistants who he could trust to take every ounce of responsibility off himself. Murphy's worst trait as a HC before that time was trying to do everything himself. You would think he learned something from 2007. However, it appears he lost many good assistants within the last year who are more up to par on how to call an offense in todays landscape of football. And those assistants left because of Murphy going back to his old untrusting ways of not letting his assistants have a say. Murphy is a great defensive minded coach. As a head coach if he would let others have a bigger piece of the pie in responsibility he could be better. Its just not in his DNA. And its a major flaw

Tulla not to bring up an argument from 10 years ago (haha) but I recall in 2007 Roman's passing game being more of a threat than the Prep's. Roman had the leading receiver in the PCL with Desiderio and a Florida State recruit as the 2nd option. And if anything the conditions played to the benefit of the Prep who had maybe the best front 7/8 that decade with that team. McGoldrick was a stud at safety but the corners weren't anything special. Also I don't recall the Prep missing any starters that game. Gil decided to throw the ball 30 times in 40 mph winds. Outstanding game nevertheless.

But I digress. To get back to Roman. Murphy's best year as a head coach was 2007. He went out and brought in assistants who he could trust to take every ounce of responsibility off himself. Murphy's worst trait as a HC before that time was trying to do everything himself. You would think he learned something from 2007. However, it appears he lost many good assistants within the last year who are more up to par on how to call an offense in todays landscape of football. And those assistants left because of Murphy going back to his old untrusting ways of not letting his assistants have a say. Murphy is a great defensive minded coach. As a head coach if he would let others have a bigger piece of the pie in responsibility he could be better. Its just not in his DNA. And its a major flaw
My memory of 2007 is a bit hazy, but as I remember there was one guy on the Prep offensive line who played but shouldn't have (because of injury) and another who was not at his best because of a family death a couple of days before. And as I recall Roman's strength was its defensive line. But you bring up a good point about Brooks. He was sometimes (almost always?) stubborn and too reluctant to change his game plan for reasons such as the weather--it was very windy that day, as I remember. Another year ('08? '09?) the Prep had a big lead over an undefeated Malvern Prep team on Thanksgiving. But when MP adjusted its defense, Brooks didn't make a counter-adjustment and Malvern came back and won. None of this, though, should obscure the fact that Brooks brought SJP football from the bottom of the barrel to excellence in a fairly short time.

Maybe stubbornness is a trait Brooks and Murphy share. I also think many, maybe most, coaches have a shelf life (at least for when they're at the same school), but some have a hard time recognizing or accepting that.

Speaking from the Roman perspective here, obviously. The 36-7 regular season defeat to the prep was a combination of many things. I would say Roman goes down early and falls into that "here we go again, we cant beat the prep" mentality. Credit to Brooks and those dominant teams that established that mentality in their opponents with pure dominance over that period of time.
Roman was better at QB, RB, OL, WR. RB -Sloan El had 2000 plus yards and 22 TD's.
Edwards-Minnesota, Everett-Oklahoma, Johnson-Villanova, Sloan El-Monmouth, Moody-Florida State
Defensively Prep was pretty special. No denying that. But speaking solely on roster talent, ill take Roman there.

The talent level between the teams in '07 was much closer to the title game final score than it was to the RS game score. Easily. Roman had some dudes that year.

Tom Kearns the DC was the difference along with other good assistants.

The talent level between the teams in '07 was much closer to the title game final score than it was to the RS game score. Easily. Roman had some dudes that year.
I agree, Huck. The talent levels were similar--SJP probably had more depth of talent; Roman had more stars. We had this discussion ten years ago when Slam and FB107 were on this board.

The mystery was why between 2001 and 2009 whenever SJP was in a PCL title game (or in '08 when they played LaSalle in the semi-final) they either won by very wide margins ('01, '02, '03, and '05) or lost by narrow margins ('04, '06, '07, '08,and '09). My guess is that both facts say something about Brooks. He had teams that were well prepared and usually executed very well but that sometimes tightened up in big games.

To some degree you could say the same has happened in the Infante era, but I'd argue LaSalle and Prep were pretty even talent-wise in '12 and you've argued there wasn't much difference in '15. Also, the Prep has won a couple of PCL championship games ('13 and '16) that were close well into the second half and some PIAA playoff games that were quite close (North Penn in '16, P-R and Parkland in '14, Neshaminy in '13).

TD -

Not looking to salt the wound, Thought you were venting and griping but you have a point. I know coaching is a commitment, (been there, understand that) but commitment is a broad category. I recognize that kids will not always pay attention or even care, but there were some simple fundamentals that I witnessed during the game that cannot be pinned on the players. I had a lot of friends and family that are Cahillites and it's hard to conceive the status of that team and program. Truly hope it gets figured out, the league is better with a strong Roman team.

Reactions: lilromeo
Hate to say it , but I think Murph days are numbered. After watching another horrible game I take 2 things from this years team. Coaching staff needs to be revamped and Roman must commit to investing in football like they invest in their basketball teams. Roman does not have the money of a prep or lasalle, so the next best thing is to find a coach that can steal some of these kids away that have a strong neighborhood connection. Despite would some say about Albie he isn't out looking for talent to come his way. It took a summer for him to get athletes to South Philly. Roman loves to keep everything Roman, but its 2017 broaden the search. You have an NFL HOF'r who still supports the program ( even stayed during the debacle against Prep)..who could turn that program around. They have to find a way to secure talent down there. One or two players per year just won't get over the hump of PCL red. You'll continue to beat the teams you're suppose to beat.....even that isn't guaranteed. SAD DAYS AHEAD IF THEY DONT CLEAN HOUSE

Hate to say it , but I think Murph days are numbered. After watching another horrible game I take 2 things from this years team. Coaching staff needs to be revamped and Roman must commit to investing in football like they invest in their basketball teams. Roman does not have the money of a prep or lasalle, so the next best thing is to find a coach that can steal some of these kids away that have a strong neighborhood connection. Despite would some say about Albie he isn't out looking for talent to come his way. It took a summer for him to get athletes to South Philly. Roman loves to keep everything Roman, but its 2017 broaden the search. You have an NFL HOF'r who still supports the program ( even stayed during the debacle against Prep)..who could turn that program around. They have to find a way to secure talent down there. One or two players per year just won't get over the hump of PCL red. You'll continue to beat the teams you're suppose to beat.....even that isn't guaranteed. SAD DAYS AHEAD IF THEY DONT CLEAN HOUSE
Roman is keeping their coach through next year, that's what I've been told. To say Roman does not have the money LaSalle and SJP has is an excuse. The tuition at Roman is more than half of what SJP and LaSalle is. When Roman brought back Coach Murphy, they interviewed six candidates, after first round thy brought three back. The three that were not brought back were never notified. And one of the three who was brought back for a second interview walked away from two high schools as a head coach. ROMAN IS NOT SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR FOOTBALL PROGRAM. At the end of the day Roman needs a coach with a dynamic personality who can bring kids in. Can present coach? It certainly does not look that way. The game the other night was as bad as bad gets. Players are clearly not together and it looks as if the coaches aren't either. I can go on and on. It's really a shame!

Roman is keeping their coach through next year, that's what I've been told. To say Roman does not have the money LaSalle and SJP has is an excuse. The tuition at Roman is more than half of what SJP and LaSalle is. When Roman brought back Coach Murphy, they interviewed six candidates, after first round thy brought three back. The three that were not brought back were never notified. And one of the three who was brought back for a second interview walked away from two high schools as a head coach. ROMAN IS NOT SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR FOOTBALL PROGRAM. At the end of the day Roman needs a coach with a dynamic personality who can bring kids in. Can present coach? It certainly does not look that way. The game the other night was as bad as bad gets. Players are clearly not together and it looks as if the coaches aren't either. I can go on and on. It's really a shame!
Money is a part of it. It's no coincidence that the schools with the most money are successful in PCL red. That's not an excuse but they'll need someone who can get around the money situation.

Money is a part of it. It's no coincidence that the schools with the most money are successful in PCL red. That's not an excuse but they'll need someone who can get around the money situation.
Roman has people on the outside who certainly will help to offset tuition. It's there now.

Reactions: TDjones22
Why go to Roman for Football when you can go to La Salle or Prep? I know i wouldn't if i had to do it all over. As for the NFLer on the sidelines yes that's true but his son is at La Salle for a reason!!! You will see why Saturday when Harrison Jr i will predict has 2-3 TDs with Malle out..... Roman's coaching staff is pathetic, everything about the program right now is pathetic and the Administration is 95% of the blame. I watched the Prep/Roman game and it was comical, the 1st quarter alone was a dam shame. Roman has enough money to do whatever they want, its the ADMINISTRATION......

Why go to Roman for Football when you can go to La Salle or Prep? I know i wouldn't if i had to do it all over. As for the NFLer on the sidelines yes that's true but his son is at La Salle for a reason!!! You will see why Saturday when Harrison Jr i will predict has 2-3 TDs with Malle out..... Roman's coaching staff is pathetic, everything about the program right now is pathetic and the Administration is 95% of the blame. I watched the Prep/Roman game and it was comical, the 1st quarter alone was a dam shame. Roman has enough money to do whatever they want, its the ADMINISTRATION......
I'm not going that far........ this program is bad. He's not scoring twice. Knowing what they have left I would risk dropping my qb back against a roman team.

So Imhotep was built with money? You put Crosby at RC and in 2 years he is keeping competitive with SJP, LS and AW. And beating them here and there in 3-4 years. He will recruit the inner city talent that the others don't get or don't want. Truly believe it could happen.

Roman would never hire Crosby lol. They would never take a influx of Transfers, unless they played basketball.

I don't think Roman would ever consider hiring Crosby, but he would turn the program around in a 2-3 years. I do believe Roman needs to hire some sort of "outsider." They need fresh ideas and a new program building plan. I think they are a sleeping giant along with FJ. With their strong alumni base, get the right guy directing the program and you can compete with LS, SJP, and AW. Wood did it years ago hiring an outsider in Devlin. Prep did it hiring Brooks then Infante. You can't hire the Religion teacher just because he's in the building.

HS it's been this way for years. I agree FJ and Roman could do it, but I am forced to face facts it ain't gonna happen. The level of play in PCL Red outside of Wood/LS/Prep I think is an all time low. You have to pay attention to the trend and it has gotten slowly worse. You can spin it two ways. Either the big three has pillaged the league, or the other teams have philosophically decided they don't want to compete.

I understand it's been that way for years, but 25 years ago you could skate by because you had a select talent pool that had to go to these schools due to boundary rules. Additionally, catholic schools had much larger enrollments then for a multitude of reasons. Point being, it wasn't difficult to have a talented roster.

Now, with catholic schools in survival mode, administration should be doing everything they can to support these programs. They should be trying to run the school like a business. Better sports programs attract students, which naturally means more money.

Carroll shifted to this philosophy a few years back with a new President and I believe you are starting to see some changes. They aren't winning games right now, but I think any fan of HS football would acknowledge they are on an upward trajectory. They hired an outstanding head coach from the college ranks who is technically an outsider. He is attracting talent. They started playing their games at their school.

No longer can catholic schools just say "sorry we're doing it this way because that's what we've always done." It isn't a recipe to compete or be successful. Wake up!!

Yes its time to do away with the Teacher is in the Building Coach, that's public league BS. But Murphy has to go an needs to take his Teacher Staff with him enough is enough 1-9 in 15, 4-8 in 16, possibly 2-10 in 17 my prediction (Roxborough we all hope) so thats 7 Wins-27 Loses is the last 3 years...... I know some ex football Alum (one of the best to play there) from Roman that is sending a letter to the school for the embarrassment he has witnessed at a few games he was at, One being CHA the other being Prep. He couldn't believe what he was seeing, from the body language of the players to the play calling to the lack of players he said was on the sidelines. He was appalled. Change has to come or it will continue to be the laughing stock of the PCL in recent years.

I understand it's been that way for years, but 25 years ago you could skate by because you had a select talent pool that had to go to these schools due to boundary rules. Additionally, catholic schools had much larger enrollments then for a multitude of reasons. Point being, it wasn't difficult to have a talented roster.

Now, with catholic schools in survival mode, administration should be doing everything they can to support these programs. They should be trying to run the school like a business. Better sports programs attract students, which naturally means more money.

Carroll shifted to this philosophy a few years back with a new President and I believe you are starting to see some changes. They aren't winning games right now, but I think any fan of HS football would acknowledge they are on an upward trajectory. They hired an outstanding head coach from the college ranks who is technically an outsider. He is attracting talent. They started playing their games at their school.

No longer can catholic schools just say "sorry we're doing it this way because that's what we've always done." It isn't a recipe to compete or be successful. Wake up!!
You touch on some realities, but it may also be the case that the general pool of players and potential players is just smaller--and getting smaller every year. To be honest, if my sons were at an age where they would be starting to play organized sports I doubt I'd encourage or even allow them to play football (because of what we now know about brain injuries). I know that makes me something of a hypocrite since I still follow and love the game. But I think more and more parents are feeling that way.

If there's one high school coach in the area who's been out in front about the brain injury situation, it's Infante. I don't mean to suggest he's been doing it for selfish reasons, i.e. to help him with recruiting, but his leadership in the area might be reassuring to some parents.

Also, if you take a look at the teams from SJP and Wood--and, to some extent, LaSalle too--you'll notice that there's a much higher proportion of African-American players than there was, say, ten years ago. (I wonder if there is any PCL school where the proportion isn't at least a bit higher.) There are probably several reasons for this (including, I would say, a change in the demographics of who is and isn't starting to play football at age 10 or 12). Some coaches have been better than others in leading / relating to this new mix of players. I'm not suggesting that some coaches are closet racists, but there are all kinds of changes--including some that have nothing to do with race, like the ways kids now use social media--that mean that what may have worked 10 or 15 years ago probably doesn't work so well.

When was the last time someone hired a top assistant from a top program? Was it Devlin at Wood? I could very easily be wrong, but I feel like every time there is a job open in the area the same recycled names are brought up. Former HC that had some success. When is it time for a school to take a shot on a younger coach, or a coach without HC experience from one of the top programs? Devlin clearly learned a thing or two about building a program from Gil Brooks!! When is being a "Judge Guy" or a "Roman Guy" going to stop mattering to these schools? I'm sorry, but I can't stand the excuses anymore. TDjones whoever that alum is, he's right. The numbers on the sidelines, the demeanor on the field/in stands, the absolute lack of COMPETITIVENESS is the thing that bothers me. You can't beat the SJP, LaSalle, and Wood of the world? Ok, I can swallow that, they're the 3/5 best programs in the state the past 15 years. But you better be pushing them, competing with them, not looking like you belong in 2A or 3A. Hell they probably couldn't win state titles at that level!!!! It's embarrassing. I guarantee there is someone from EACH of those top 3 schools that is worth hiring!! But they probably won't get the chance.

Reactions: TDjones22
Tulla is ever the insightful one. SJP and Wood have made grassroot efforts to attract kids from all over the area. Often you see a kid weighing a Tep, Wood, or Prep. LS has also made itself very desirable for kids for kids from all over.
LS hit the heights being led by an outsider, as Prep and Wood continue to do. Yes Carroll has seemed to get in the game, but honestly as I sit here it looks like Roman and Judge are fine with not engaging the pool of players that exist. That means not only going to CYO games. Look at Prep...their success with non cyo players is off the charts. Same with Wood. I agree with you FJ and TD, but until it they will be a couple years away from being a couple years away. If you are a fan you could probably name 4 or 5 names of guys not head coaches that could be dynamic and lead a program. But would they leave their spots now to expose themselves to admins that really won't support them?

FJ, you may be right but similar to any other endeavor, experience matters. It is reassuring for an administration to hire a candidate with head coaching experience. Essentially, it is human nature to gravitate towards someone who has done it before.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it's the truth. Would the younger Gordon (current OC of LaSalle) apply to be Roman, FJ or Ryan's head coach? I doubt it; administrative support matters. Although, those schools should do everything in their power to lure him away.

6days it's football. Coaches have egos. I'd bet a lot of money there is at least one guy at Prep and at least one guy at Wood that would apply for the Roman, Judge, Ryan jobs. I don't know a ton about LaSalle's staff, I don't think Gordon wants/needs to be a HC, but I'd still be willing to bet there's a coach or two on staff that could apply to those jobs.

HSFball of course it is natural to gravitate towards someone who has done it before in any aspect of life. But let me ask you this: Which experience would matter more to you: 5-7 years of HC experience with a .500 record, or 7-10 years as an assistant coach learning under Gordon/Infante/Devlin?

Football is an imitation game. Why not imitate the best?

Is the thought , that if Roman or any red team came knocking Crosby would leave NG?
Is there some reason he would not leave NG for a 6A job? I don't think NG is some super job, it's not. He wants to coach and it was really all that was out there that played to his strength .... that is, appealing to those inner city Philly kids that he engages with year round. I suppose he might have found a D1 job, but being in Bucks would take him from his talent base and connections.

A good football program at RC would raise the bar for the school and make it more desirable. Picture RC as a real power ... getting the guys they get today, plus some of the best NG guys, best 'tep guys, best other guys Albie could recruit, etc. They would be a 4th PCL power. The PCL Red could start looking like the North Jersey Super Football Conference. Why not??

I think Ohara was very creative in hiring Hogan. While not a head coach , they lured him away from a college program , gave him a non teaching job in the school to make it financially attractive for him, and he's an alum with many cyo contacts. I'm not sure they have the numbers to ever be a PCL power again, but they certainly are arcing up , not down

Is there some reason he would not leave NG for a 6A job? I don't think NG is some super job, it's not. He wants to coach and it was really all that was out there that played to his strength .... that is, appealing to those inner city Philly kids that he engages with year round. I suppose he might have found a D1 job, but being in Bucks would take him from his talent base and connections.

A good football program at RC would raise the bar for the school and make it more desirable. Picture RC as a real power ... getting the guys they get today, plus some of the best NG guys, best 'tep guys, best other guys Albie could recruit, etc. They would be a 4th PCL power. The PCL Red could start looking like the North Jersey Super Football Conference. Why not??
There's a real cost to having the kind of conference they have in North Jersey--as attested by lots of accounts of cutting eligibility corners, overlooking some serious behavior problems, and doing the kind of recruiting/stealing of players from other conference schools that we haven't seen in Philly.

Maybe Chesmont1 can bring the making a “better kid for society argument” to Roman... that could maybe help with the current situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT