ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern 6 A favorites this year

lilromeo

Gold Member
Apr 14, 2014
We might as well get this started. My 3 favorites so far based on limited information would be laSalle St. Joe Prep and Neshaminy. Rover, could you provide your thoughts about 6 A favorites from Districts 2, 4 and 11. I'm wodering if Coatsville is gearing up and how about the 2 Downingtowns ? North Penn is always a threat and this year their QB should be a star.

Both Downingtown schools lost a ton, so it will be tough to gauge until camp. I know East will be smaller along the OL than in the past.

Skins lost a lot as well - I'm not sure why they're being touted as a favorite.

Fletch -

Actually on the offensive side 4 of the 5 starters at QB, FB, HB and the wide receiver slots are back this year (that's Mason Jones, Hayden Rooney, Will Dogba and Zach Tredway with Denzel Hughes the lone non-returner). On the line four of six are back -- AJ Sanko, Eddie Parry, Kyle Osterhouldt and Chris Wilson with Hunter Kelly and Bill Ritchey gone. And all the returners are seniors while I understand they have the TE spot fleshed out already and then they had a number of guys rotating in along the "interior five" group (and at wideout too) so all in all, they're very solid offensively. Of course, last year Dogba had just about 1500 ground yards in 13 games and Tredway was the leading receiving with almost 700 yards on 42 receptions.

So as it is, the guys coming back have over 4,000 offensive yards between them (rushing and passing) and with Jones a scrappy leader starting his third season this should be a prolific scoring group (and last year saw Wilson listed at 6'5", 290, Osterhouldt 6'1", 245 and Parry 6'1", 285 so they have plenty of beef with only Sanko the "kinda" undersized center at sub-six foot, 200 pounder - but those are tough feet and pounds).

The kicking game should be "Kevin Kellyish" as senior and at least two-year-starter Dylan McDonald is back handling kickoffs, PATS and FGs. Last year he averaged just about 50 yards a shot on his 59 KOs and he hit 5 of 6 FGs with his longest from 40 (I don't think he missed but one or two PATs - maybe). He also handled 21 of the team's 35 punts so as said, watch for a very strong kicking game.

Now defensively it's a little more wide open with Hughes, Ritchey, Kelly and then Harmon Yarlati, Daulton Fox, Kyle Smith, Cole Creighton and Dave Nuckles gone. But back are Tredway, Oleh Manzyk (last year's freshman LB phenom - think Denny Lord) and Jacob Gordon (remember the pick late against Pennsbury). And I will add that there are a bunch of guys who should step-up along the front line with the same said for the backers (I'll dig in a bit more when I can).

Then this will also be a year that sees less, if any, distraction due to the coaching rearrangement which added some "noise" following the departure of "he needs no introduction" and longtime boss, the great Mark Schmidt, in early 2014, with 'Skins alumni and then Virginia/NFLer Mike Frederick filling in that season before Steve Wilmot became the big cheese last year. And needless to say, with coach Wilmot on the staff since 1996 or so and his frosh year at 9-4 out of the way, and his staff well intact, coaching is not really an issue at all except to say they're a good crew top-to-bottom.

Then I might add that with the reset SOL (and some coaching turnover within their regular league opponents) the 'Skins regular season line up sees that the National will not be as "tough" as usual with Abington probably well down along with CR North "Brandon-less" and then Pennsbury somewhat stripped out (and with a new but longtime assistant coach) so the ability to look "perfect" might not be as difficult as you might expect (how is CR South looking, by the way - are they a not-so-dark dark horse this year??). I'm not thinking Bensalem and Truman are gonna be too far out of their comfort zones either.

And non-league they open with Roman Catholic (home) and then it's Pennridge and D-Town West on the road (the Rams should be solid but I believe Roman was so-so last year/this year -- although they have that QB I think -- with D-Town probably not quite the group they were last year). Mid-season they also play CB South (non-league) and I'm not aware that they will be a world beater this year either. So with what little I know right now I'm thinking Pennridge and Pennsbury are probably the "tough" games (a less-than-top shelf Pennsbury can be a pain so you have to keep your guard up -- and I'm not saying they won't be good just a little off perhaps).

No disrespect to any teams just sorta sticking the wet thumb in the air and making some assumptions and "guesstimates" (please fill in details - anyone).

Anyway, and as I see it, I can't in my wildest nightmare imagine the Moleskinners are not in the playoffs while you'd have to at least give it a thought that they may be there without any smudges on their record (okay, okay - just saying). And then who is tough in D1 overall that they will see post-season? North Penn comes to mind -- and?? (And I'm not dissing anybody here - just don't have tons of info yet.)

Thus, and using my powers of observation, you'd have to think they get deep and are certainly in the small group of faves to take D1 which sees them then meeting one of the PCL clubs (I'd think it's the PCL as I believe Parkland will be regrouping and I don't have a grip on Easton or really anybody else up North -- and I also assume that the playoff structure will remain the same in terms of what District champ plays what other District champ -- and in what order).

So there you go. By the way, having a somewhat less demanding schedule than you'd like to see doesn't get me excited but that's the way it is.

What other D1 teams are looking like they can be a contender this season at 6A? Anybody got some thoughts or juice?

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
Fletch -

Actually on the offensive side 4 of the 5 starters at QB, FB, HB and the wide receiver slots are back this year (that's Mason Jones, Hayden Rooney, Will Dogba and Zach Tredway with Denzel Hughes the lone non-returner). On the line four of six are back -- AJ Sanko, Eddie Parry, Kyle Osterhouldt and Chris Wilson with Hunter Kelly and Bill Ritchey gone. And all the returners are seniors while I understand they have the TE spot fleshed out already and then they had a number of guys rotating in along the "interior five" group (and at wideout too) so all in all, they're very solid offensively. Of course, last year Dogba had just about 1500 ground yards in 13 games and Tredway was the leading receiving with almost 700 yards on 42 receptions.

So as it is, the guys coming back have over 4,000 offensive yards between them (rushing and passing) and with Jones a scrappy leader starting his third season this should be a prolific scoring group (and last year saw Wilson listed at 6'5", 290, Osterhouldt 6'1", 245 and Parry 6'1", 285 so they have plenty of beef with only Sanko the "kinda" undersized center at sub-six foot, 200 pounder - but those are tough feet and pounds).

The kicking game should be "Kevin Kellyish" as senior and at least two-year-starter Dylan McDonald is back handling kickoffs, PATS and FGs. Last year he averaged just about 50 yards a shot on his 59 KOs and he hit 5 of 6 FGs with his longest from 40 (I don't think he missed but one or two PATs - maybe). He also handled 21 of the team's 35 punts so as said, watch for a very strong kicking game.

Now defensively it's a little more wide open with Hughes, Ritchey, Kelly and then Harmon Yarlati, Daulton Fox, Kyle Smith, Cole Creighton and Dave Nuckles gone. But back are Tredway, Oleh Manzyk (last year's freshman LB phenom - think Denny Lord) and Jacob Gordon (remember the pick late against Pennsbury). And I will add that there are a bunch of guys who should step-up along the front line with the same said for the backers (I'll dig in a bit more when I can).

Then this will also be a year that sees less, if any, distraction due to the coaching rearrangement which added some "noise" following the departure of "he needs no introduction" and longtime boss, the great Mark Schmidt, in early 2014, with 'Skins alumni and then Virginia/NFLer Mike Frederick filling in that season before Steve Wilmot became the big cheese last year. And needless to say, with coach Wilmot on the staff since 1996 or so and his frosh year at 9-4 out of the way, and his staff well intact, coaching is not really an issue at all except to say they're a good crew top-to-bottom.

Then I might add that with the reset SOL (and some coaching turnover within their regular league opponents) the 'Skins regular season line up sees that the National will not be as "tough" as usual with Abington probably well down along with CR North "Brandon-less" and then Pennsbury somewhat stripped out (and with a new but longtime assistant coach) so the ability to look "perfect" might not be as difficult as you might expect (how is CR South looking, by the way - are they a not-so-dark dark horse this year??). I'm not thinking Bensalem and Truman are gonna be too far out of their comfort zones either.

And non-league they open with Roman Catholic (home) and then it's Pennridge and D-Town West on the road (the Rams should be solid but I believe Roman was so-so last year/this year -- although they have that QB I think -- with D-Town probably not quite the group they were last year). Mid-season they also play CB South (non-league) and I'm not aware that they will be a world beater this year either. So with what little I know right now I'm thinking Pennridge and Pennsbury are probably the "tough" games (a less-than-top shelf Pennsbury can be a pain so you have to keep your guard up -- and I'm not saying they won't be good just a little off perhaps).

No disrespect to any teams just sorta sticking the wet thumb in the air and making some assumptions and "guesstimates" (please fill in details - anyone).

Anyway, and as I see it, I can't in my wildest nightmare imagine the Moleskinners are not in the playoffs while you'd have to at least give it a thought that they may be there without any smudges on their record (okay, okay - just saying). And then who is tough in D1 overall that they will see post-season? North Penn comes to mind -- and?? (And I'm not dissing anybody here - just don't have tons of info yet.)

Thus, and using my powers of observation, you'd have to think they get deep and are certainly in the small group of faves to take D1 which sees them then meeting one of the PCL clubs (I'd think it's the PCL as I believe Parkland will be regrouping and I don't have a grip on Easton or really anybody else up North -- and I also assume that the playoff structure will remain the same in terms of what District champ plays what other District champ -- and in what order).

So there you go. By the way, having a somewhat less demanding schedule than you'd like to see doesn't get me excited but that's the way it is.

What other D1 teams are looking like they can be a contender this season at 6A? Anybody got some thoughts or juice?
Getting to the district semi as a 13th seed last year suggests they'll be a strong favorite for the district crown and more with what they have coming back.
Coatesville graduated a lot of bodies and gets Cumberland Valley in the opener so you'll know about them early. CV graduated big numbers too from a typical powerful edition that lost to Pitt CC in states but broke in high quality sophomores, especially at linebacker to give them another strong group there while the offense rebuilds.

Says on the schedule Coatesville opens up with Gratz after scrimmaging Easton.

Says on the schedule Coatesville opens up with Gratz after scrimmaging Easton.

Here's CV, see easternfootball site for schedules including Coats (click on) posted to date.
Date Opponent Kickoff Result Game Notes
9/02
@ Coatesville (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
9/09
@ Central York (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
9/16
Bishop McDevitt (AAAA) 7:00 pm
9/23
@ Chambersburg* (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
9/30
Central Dauphin* (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
10/07 @ State College Area* (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
10/14
Carlisle* (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
10/21
@ Lower Dauphin (AAAAA) 7:00 pm
10/28
Central Dauphin East* (AAAAAA) 7:00 pm
11/04
Harrisburg* (AAAAA) 7:00 pm

North Penn will be very different this year than in recent memory because they look set to be based on an arial attack. They lost West, Isabella and Ostopowicz in the running game so they will need to find some ball carriers. Dan Drop did see some time at fullback last year but outside of that it's an unknown. With the three headed monster they had last year there wasn't much room left for other rushers so it remains to be seen if there is someone coming up. Then again, North Penn has always been able to find someone. It may take them a few games to really get the running game going. However, they return what could be a very impressive passing attack. Reece Udinski returns as the starting QB and has a nice arm and can make a lot of throws. He completed 154 of 251 attempts for 2,471 yds and 20 TDs last year. He also has some decent size at 6'4". He can sit in the pocket or throw on the run as well. He was one of the best QB's I have seen at NP in terms of skillset and ability to throw as a Junior. It goes far beyond him though as they return almost their entire receiving core as well. The biggest weapon in that regard is 6'3" WR Ricky Johns. He has some speed to go with that size too. He already holds offers from Villanova, Temple, and West Virginia. He had just under 1,000 yds receiving and 11 tds last year. After him they also return their #2 receiver Jake Hubler. Hubler came on as the year went on and was very good for the second half of the season. When teams would focus on Johns, Udinski would often look to the tight ends or Hubler. Speaking of Tight Ends, NP will return 2 of the 3. Nick Vasger and Owen Thomas are the returners. Their big loss here is Keith Earle. Earle is a bigger loss on D though because he was often left in to block due to his size while the others caught passes. Vasger and Thomas are both very capable pass catchers and contributed strong games when called upon last year. Thomas had a couple of playoff TDs if my memory serves me correctly. It would not shock me to see Vasger move to fullback either. Lastly, Justis Henley earned a lot of playing time as a Sophomore, especially as a starter on D. He did have his fair share of catches on offense though as well. I wonder if he could potentially switch to running back. Expect to see more of him this year as he has the potential to make a lot of noise because of his all around athletic ability. The offensive line loses most of the starters but many of the underclassmen saw playing time last year and played well. Keith Caputo (6'1" 260) is the sole returning starter As with the running backs it may take a game or two to really settle in. However, Beck has always been good at developing good line play and I would expect that to continue.

On the defense North Penn will be looking to replace Keith Earle at defensive end. He was a stud and could single handedly change a game. They will also be looking to rebuild their linebacking core. Nick Vasger, Owen Thomas, Ricky Johns, and Justis Henley will be the key figures on this side of the ball as well. Vasger plays D end and linebacker while Thomas played linebacker last year but I would imagine can play D end as well. Johns plays the hybrid safety/linebacker role that Beck uses in that 4-4. Henley will be one of the starting corners and Hubler will probably be the safety. They did rotate a lot of underclassmen in at times last year and will need a couple of them to step up. Dan Jasinski is one of those underclassmen who saw a fair amount of time last year on the D line and Dan drop will probably start at linebacker after seeing some time there as well.. For the most part North Penn tends to find good linebackers in their system.

If North Penn can develop the running game and O line they should be a force. I would expect them to be a major factor in districts once again. It will be very tough for any team to stop their passing attack not just because of the quality of players but the depth. Beck opened up his playbook in the passing attack more last year and I would expect even more this year. Do not expect them to have a big line. Though I think it will be bigger than last year they will be focused more on technique and overall strength. It will be vital for them to find someone to carry the ball consistently to keep teams honest. While they lost some very good players in Earle, Osto, Isabella and West this is a team that returns a lot of starters and players that saw significant playing time in their District final run last year. Also, a lot of the returners are hungry after the blowout loss to Upper Dublin in the D1 final. A number of key players were carrying some injuries they were playing through and to top it off they didn't play well. Upper Dublin came in focused and ready and played with more determination. They deserved every bit of that score and they deserve a ton of credit. I just happen to know that the NP players feel they could have steyed with and even beat that team and are using it as motivation this offseason. As with any team new leaders need to step up and everyone needs to work hard. Just as importantly, a little luck is needed to keep the key players healthy.

This is the most wide open the Lehigh Valley has been in some time. There is significant turnover at all of the key programs from 2015, most notably at the quarterback position. Last year, ten of the twelve teams in the EPC South had a returning starter under center. This season, there are only three, Freedom, Nazareth, and Northampton. Similary, the only 1,000 yard rushers returning are Libety’s Gunner Anglovich and Nazareth’s Travis Stefanik. It’ll be fun. Below are initial thoughts on the contenders, organized by projected order of finish.

The early favorite seems to be Freedom, who brings back three year starter Joe Young at quarterback and 4/5ths of their offensive linemen, and defensive stalwarts Brady Hornbaker (middle linebacker) and Alex Huertas (cornerback). Young is a next level talent, but has had trouble staying on the field in the previous two seasons. A hip injury prematurely ended a very promising sophomore season, then a knee injury cut short his junior year. When he’s on the field, he’s a big, athletic quarterback with a career completion percentage above 65%. He makes great decisions in the read option and throws the best deep ball in the Valley. They need to replace all five of their leading receivers and their two leading rushers, but they have the QB and linemen to ease the transition. Defensively. Hornbaker is the reigning EPC DPOY, a big, hard hitting middle linebacker who will be in his third year as a starter. Huertas led the squad in interceptions as a sophomore, and could be the premier defensive back in the area, and also figures to be a key piece at receiver. They also return depth along the defensive line.

Four time defending champion Parkland needs to replace one of the best classes in school history. Gone are three first team all state picks at three of the most important positions on offense (QB, WR, and LT) and they also lose a 1,000 yard rusher, a slot receiver with 1,000 all purpose yards, and their right tackle. The strength of the offense will be the interior offensive line, which brings back all three starters, including massive left guard Patrick Ferry (6’3 325) a three year starter with FCS offers. New coach Tim Moncman has referenced a slight return to a power run game based on personnel, and that likely entails pounding fullback Jahan Worth (6’1 220) behind Ferry and company. Offensive coordinator Brett Comp is a quarterback whisperer, so whoever wins the job under center will be working closely with one of the best QB coaches in eastern Pennsylvania, and will have senior receiver Zach Bross (6’4 205; 40 catches and 5 TDs in 2015) to rely on. Defensively, Parkland brings back defensive ends Palmer Kerch and DJ Hohman, who combined for 19.5 sacks last season as juniors. Worth is the man of mystery, he filled in masterfully at defensive tackle last year, leading them in tackles during the state championship game and playing the game of his career against LaSalle, but is a linebacker by trade and has the size and explosiveness to be one of the best in the state at that position. Bross is the only returning starter in the secondary.

Replacing a four year starter at quarterback will be a serious priority, but Liberty will have the most experienced ground game in the Valley. Nasir Legree started as a freshman last season, and rushed for over 600 yards in the first six games of the year before an ankle injury cut his season short. He had been sharing the load with Gunner Anglovich, who received all of the carries when Legree went out. Anglovich responded with 390 yards and 7 TDs in his first start as the feature back, and finished the year with 1,400 yards and 20 TDs. Both will be back as a thunder and lightning combo. They also bring back FBS recruit Darian Street (6’4 195; 29 catches) at wide receiver for likely new starter Todd Erney to rely on. The big question on offense is, how will they replace all five starters on the offensive line? They made the playoffs for the first time since 2009 last year, largely because they could run block and protect the quarterback for the first time in ages. The succession plan will be critical. Defensively, they must replace the entire back seven, but first team all state defensive end Jaohne Duggans (6’3 250) will be a star to build the defense around. He’s a three year starter and the best pass rusher in the Valley.

It will be a fascinating year in Easton, where they have one of the tiniest seniors classes that I can remember. Only four juniors started last season, and it’s not out of the question that there will be only five seniors in the lineup this year. The bad news is, they’ll be young and could take some lumps. The good news is, there is a lot of talent in the sophomore and junior classes. Offensively, guard Liam Ekoko (5’10 225) and tackle Mike Pugilese (6’1 240) are back, with Pugilese primed to be one of best tackles in the conference. Sophomore Albert Gayle (6’0 255) and junior Ayyub Dail (6’1 260) are both options along the line with major size and potential. Sophomore Elek Ferency (6’3 245) also has enormous physical potential. It’s obviously a running back oriented offense, and there will be an open competition there. Seniors Katrell Thompson (5 TDs, 6.2 yards per carry) and Jahmel Foreman will be pushed by junior Israel Selassie, sophomores Gernard Finney (who flashed his potential with 76 yards and TD against Whitehall during his freshman season) and Harold Reynolds, and freshman Tavion Banks. Thompson received regular time at fullback, but is more ideally slotted as a slasher/scat back type. Finney, Reynolds, and Banks are the future, and how physically mature they are by the time camp rolls around will go a long way to determining their playing time in 2016. Finney and Banks both just medaled at PJW state wrestling tournaments at 167 (5th) and 157 (3rd), respectively, and if they’re cutting to get there, that’s a good sign. Reynolds is the younger brother of 1,100 yard rusher Dalvyn Reynolds, who was 5’11 190 as a senior, so the genes are there. Ben Nimeh received some time at quarterback last year due to injury and figures to be the starter. He’ll have fellow senior Trey Bailey (6’1 185; 25 catches and 5 TDs in 2015) as his main target, with a plethora of big sophomores and juniors competing for the rest of the receiver spots. They have five underclassman receivers and tight ends who are at least 6’2, including 6’7 junior Trevor Storm, so in the coming years this could look like Parkland’s ’15 receiving corps. Defensively, only Thompson and Foreman, the two corners, return with significant playing time. They always seem to find a way to reload on that side of the ball, but it’ll be a wholesale rebuild. It will likely be centered on the secondary, with Thompson and Foreman the best corner pairing in the Valley and Selassie a very promising candidate at safety. Ekoko is a likely starter at middle linebacker. There is also this winter's community coaching mutiny to watch.

No team took a bigger offseason loss than Nazareth when it was announced that rising junior Jahan Dotson would be transferring to Peddie School for the fall of 2016. Dotson is already Nazareth’s all time leader in every receiving category and has football offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, and a dozen other schools. He’s also on pace to score 1,000 points in hoops, and is a contender this spring to win state titles in the 100, 200, and long jump. Replacing Dotson will be impossible, but they do return the other leading receiver in the Valley, junior Julian Liaci. Liaci is one of the best sprinters in the state (6th in the 100 as a freshman last spring, ran a hand timed 10.5 100 earlier this year, and their 4x100 relay team with Liaci and Dotson this spring has run the fastest time in the state) and is uber dangerous in the open field. He caught 55 passes for 663 yards and 7 TDs last year, mostly in screens and short routes designed to get him the ball in space. Quarterback Travis Stefanik is one of two returning QBs in the state who threw for 2,000 yards and rushed for 1,000 yards last year. The rising senior totaled 38 TDs passing and rushing. Stefanik is slightly undersized, but an excellent athlete (he finished the 2015 season ranked #7 in the country at 152 pounds in wrestling) who really executes in Tom Falzone’s offensive. Defense and line play are always a problem at Nazareth due to being on the smallish side of (now) 6A, but Liaci is as good as they get in the secondary. If Dotson was also coming back, I’d pick them as the favorite, but I think without such a transcendent talent, they’re a step behind the leaders.

Whitehall and Wyoming Valley West both move down to 5A, so it will be easier making the playoffs in 2016 with two of the most consistently strong programs no longer there. That provides the opportunity for an Emmaus, Williamsport, Hazleton, or a possibly improved Northampton squad another opening to qualify for the postseason.

North Penn will be very different this year than in recent memory because they look set to be based on an arial attack. They lost West, Isabella and Ostopowicz in the running game so they will need to find some ball carriers. Dan Drop did see some time at fullback last year but outside of that it's an unknown. With the three headed monster they had last year there wasn't much room left for other rushers so it remains to be seen if there is someone coming up. Then again, North Penn has always been able to find someone. It may take them a few games to really get the running game going. However, they return what could be a very impressive passing attack. Reece Udinski returns as the starting QB and has a nice arm and can make a lot of throws. He completed 154 of 251 attempts for 2,471 yds and 20 TDs last year. He also has some decent size at 6'4". He can sit in the pocket or throw on the run as well. He was one of the best QB's I have seen at NP in terms of skillset and ability to throw as a Junior. It goes far beyond him though as they return almost their entire receiving core as well. The biggest weapon in that regard is 6'3" WR Ricky Johns. He has some speed to go with that size too. He already holds offers from Villanova, Temple, and West Virginia. He had just under 1,000 yds receiving and 11 tds last year. After him they also return their #2 receiver Jake Hubler. Hubler came on as the year went on and was very good for the second half of the season. When teams would focus on Johns, Udinski would often look to the tight ends or Hubler. Speaking of Tight Ends, NP will return 2 of the 3. Nick Vasger and Owen Thomas are the returners. Their big loss here is Keith Earle. Earle is a bigger loss on D though because he was often left in to block due to his size while the others caught passes. Vasger and Thomas are both very capable pass catchers and contributed strong games when called upon last year. Thomas had a couple of playoff TDs if my memory serves me correctly. It would not shock me to see Vasger move to fullback either. Lastly, Justis Henley earned a lot of playing time as a Sophomore, especially as a starter on D. He did have his fair share of catches on offense though as well. I wonder if he could potentially switch to running back. Expect to see more of him this year as he has the potential to make a lot of noise because of his all around athletic ability. The offensive line loses most of the starters but many of the underclassmen saw playing time last year and played well. Keith Caputo (6'1" 260) is the sole returning starter As with the running backs it may take a game or two to really settle in. However, Beck has always been good at developing good line play and I would expect that to continue.

On the defense North Penn will be looking to replace Keith Earle at defensive end. He was a stud and could single handedly change a game. They will also be looking to rebuild their linebacking core. Nick Vasger, Owen Thomas, Ricky Johns, and Justis Henley will be the key figures on this side of the ball as well. Vasger plays D end and linebacker while Thomas played linebacker last year but I would imagine can play D end as well. Johns plays the hybrid safety/linebacker role that Beck uses in that 4-4. Henley will be one of the starting corners and Hubler will probably be the safety. They did rotate a lot of underclassmen in at times last year and will need a couple of them to step up. Dan Jasinski is one of those underclassmen who saw a fair amount of time last year on the D line and Dan drop will probably start at linebacker after seeing some time there as well.. For the most part North Penn tends to find good linebackers in their system.

If North Penn can develop the running game and O line they should be a force. I would expect them to be a major factor in districts once again. It will be very tough for any team to stop their passing attack not just because of the quality of players but the depth. Beck opened up his playbook in the passing attack more last year and I would expect even more this year. Do not expect them to have a big line. Though I think it will be bigger than last year they will be focused more on technique and overall strength. It will be vital for them to find someone to carry the ball consistently to keep teams honest. While they lost some very good players in Earle, Osto, Isabella and West this is a team that returns a lot of starters and players that saw significant playing time in their District final run last year. Also, a lot of the returners are hungry after the blowout loss to Upper Dublin in the D1 final. A number of key players were carrying some injuries they were playing through and to top it off they didn't play well. Upper Dublin came in focused and ready and played with more determination. They deserved every bit of that score and they deserve a ton of credit. I just happen to know that the NP players feel they could have steyed with and even beat that team and are using it as motivation this offseason. As with any team new leaders need to step up and everyone needs to work hard. Just as importantly, a little luck is needed to keep the key players healthy.
npfan, nice overview of the knights . They always seem to find the players necessary to compete and with the qb this year they could be interesting to watch. The early season LaSalle game should provide some insight for what to expect .

npfan, nice overview of the knights . They always seem to find the players necessary to compete and with the qb this year they could be interesting to watch. The early season LaSalle game should provide some insight for what to expect .
The early LaSalle game is always a nice barometer but with the need to replenish the line and running backs I would expect a few hiccups early. As we saw last year NP lost to Downingtown East in game 2 but beat them as a much better team in the playoffs. Any idea as to how LaSalle looks this year?

Great write-up on the Knights by NP and then RoverNation, as always, gave us some great detail in his "thumbnails" on the "faves" up there in D11.

The early LaSalle game is always a nice barometer but with the need to replenish the line and running backs I would expect a few hiccups early. As we saw last year NP lost to Downingtown East in game 2 but beat them as a much better team in the playoffs. Any idea as to how LaSalle looks this year?
The LaSalle guys know this years team much better than I do , but I do know that Isiah Jones and Seyere Madden return to the backfield and they have good size coming back. I think they will be a very good team.

This is the most wide open the Lehigh Valley has been in some time. There is significant turnover at all of the key programs from 2015, most notably at the quarterback position. Last year, ten of the twelve teams in the EPC South had a returning starter under center. This season, there are only three, Freedom, Nazareth, and Northampton. Similary, the only 1,000 yard rushers returning are Libety’s Gunner Anglovich and Nazareth’s Travis Stefanik. It’ll be fun. Below are initial thoughts on the contenders, organized by projected order of finish.

The early favorite seems to be Freedom, who brings back three year starter Joe Young at quarterback and 4/5ths of their offensive linemen, and defensive stalwarts Brady Hornbaker (middle linebacker) and Alex Huertas (cornerback). Young is a next level talent, but has had trouble staying on the field in the previous two seasons. A hip injury prematurely ended a very promising sophomore season, then a knee injury cut short his junior year. When he’s on the field, he’s a big, athletic quarterback with a career completion percentage above 65%. He makes great decisions in the read option and throws the best deep ball in the Valley. They need to replace all five of their leading receivers and their two leading rushers, but they have the QB and linemen to ease the transition. Defensively. Hornbaker is the reigning EPC DPOY, a big, hard hitting middle linebacker who will be in his third year as a starter. Huertas led the squad in interceptions as a sophomore, and could be the premier defensive back in the area, and also figures to be a key piece at receiver. They also return depth along the defensive line.

Four time defending champion Parkland needs to replace one of the best classes in school history. Gone are three first team all state picks at three of the most important positions on offense (QB, WR, and LT) and they also lose a 1,000 yard rusher, a slot receiver with 1,000 all purpose yards, and their right tackle. The strength of the offense will be the interior offensive line, which brings back all three starters, including massive left guard Patrick Ferry (6’3 325) a three year starter with FCS offers. New coach Tim Moncman has referenced a slight return to a power run game based on personnel, and that likely entails pounding fullback Jahan Worth (6’1 220) behind Ferry and company. Offensive coordinator Brett Comp is a quarterback whisperer, so whoever wins the job under center will be working closely with one of the best QB coaches in eastern Pennsylvania, and will have senior receiver Zach Bross (6’4 205; 40 catches and 5 TDs in 2015) to rely on. Defensively, Parkland brings back defensive ends Palmer Kerch and DJ Hohman, who combined for 19.5 sacks last season as juniors. Worth is the man of mystery, he filled in masterfully at defensive tackle last year, leading them in tackles during the state championship game and playing the game of his career against LaSalle, but is a linebacker by trade and has the size and explosiveness to be one of the best in the state at that position. Bross is the only returning starter in the secondary.

Replacing a four year starter at quarterback will be a serious priority, but Liberty will have the most experienced ground game in the Valley. Nasir Legree started as a freshman last season, and rushed for over 600 yards in the first six games of the year before an ankle injury cut his season short. He had been sharing the load with Gunner Anglovich, who received all of the carries when Legree went out. Anglovich responded with 390 yards and 7 TDs in his first start as the feature back, and finished the year with 1,400 yards and 20 TDs. Both will be back as a thunder and lightning combo. They also bring back FBS recruit Darian Street (6’4 195; 29 catches) at wide receiver for likely new starter Todd Erney to rely on. The big question on offense is, how will they replace all five starters on the offensive line? They made the playoffs for the first time since 2009 last year, largely because they could run block and protect the quarterback for the first time in ages. The succession plan will be critical. Defensively, they must replace the entire back seven, but first team all state defensive end Jaohne Duggans (6’3 250) will be a star to build the defense around. He’s a three year starter and the best pass rusher in the Valley.

It will be a fascinating year in Easton, where they have one of the tiniest seniors classes that I can remember. Only four juniors started last season, and it’s not out of the question that there will be only five seniors in the lineup this year. The bad news is, they’ll be young and could take some lumps. The good news is, there is a lot of talent in the sophomore and junior classes. Offensively, guard Liam Ekoko (5’10 225) and tackle Mike Pugilese (6’1 240) are back, with Pugilese primed to be one of best tackles in the conference. Sophomore Albert Gayle (6’0 255) and junior Ayyub Dail (6’1 260) are both options along the line with major size and potential. Sophomore Elek Ferency (6’3 245) also has enormous physical potential. It’s obviously a running back oriented offense, and there will be an open competition there. Seniors Katrell Thompson (5 TDs, 6.2 yards per carry) and Jahmel Foreman will be pushed by junior Israel Selassie, sophomores Gernard Finney (who flashed his potential with 76 yards and TD against Whitehall during his freshman season) and Harold Reynolds, and freshman Tavion Banks. Thompson received regular time at fullback, but is more ideally slotted as a slasher/scat back type. Finney, Reynolds, and Banks are the future, and how physically mature they are by the time camp rolls around will go a long way to determining their playing time in 2016. Finney and Banks both just medaled at PJW state wrestling tournaments at 167 (5th) and 157 (3rd), respectively, and if they’re cutting to get there, that’s a good sign. Reynolds is the younger brother of 1,100 yard rusher Dalvyn Reynolds, who was 5’11 190 as a senior, so the genes are there. Ben Nimeh received some time at quarterback last year due to injury and figures to be the starter. He’ll have fellow senior Trey Bailey (6’1 185; 25 catches and 5 TDs in 2015) as his main target, with a plethora of big sophomores and juniors competing for the rest of the receiver spots. They have five underclassman receivers and tight ends who are at least 6’2, including 6’7 junior Trevor Storm, so in the coming years this could look like Parkland’s ’15 receiving corps. Defensively, only Thompson and Foreman, the two corners, return with significant playing time. They always seem to find a way to reload on that side of the ball, but it’ll be a wholesale rebuild. It will likely be centered on the secondary, with Thompson and Foreman the best corner pairing in the Valley and Selassie a very promising candidate at safety. Ekoko is a likely starter at middle linebacker. There is also this winter's community coaching mutiny to watch.

No team took a bigger offseason loss than Nazareth when it was announced that rising junior Jahan Dotson would be transferring to Peddie School for the fall of 2016. Dotson is already Nazareth’s all time leader in every receiving category and has football offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, and a dozen other schools. He’s also on pace to score 1,000 points in hoops, and is a contender this spring to win state titles in the 100, 200, and long jump. Replacing Dotson will be impossible, but they do return the other leading receiver in the Valley, junior Julian Liaci. Liaci is one of the best sprinters in the state (6th in the 100 as a freshman last spring, ran a hand timed 10.5 100 earlier this year, and their 4x100 relay team with Liaci and Dotson this spring has run the fastest time in the state) and is uber dangerous in the open field. He caught 55 passes for 663 yards and 7 TDs last year, mostly in screens and short routes designed to get him the ball in space. Quarterback Travis Stefanik is one of two returning QBs in the state who threw for 2,000 yards and rushed for 1,000 yards last year. The rising senior totaled 38 TDs passing and rushing. Stefanik is slightly undersized, but an excellent athlete (he finished the 2015 season ranked #7 in the country at 152 pounds in wrestling) who really executes in Tom Falzone’s offensive. Defense and line play are always a problem at Nazareth due to being on the smallish side of (now) 6A, but Liaci is as good as they get in the secondary. If Dotson was also coming back, I’d pick them as the favorite, but I think without such a transcendent talent, they’re a step behind the leaders.

Whitehall and Wyoming Valley West both move down to 5A, so it will be easier making the playoffs in 2016 with two of the most consistently strong programs no longer there. That provides the opportunity for an Emmaus, Williamsport, Hazleton, or a possibly improved Northampton squad another opening to qualify for the postseason.
The city of Bethlehem must produce an abundance of good players with Freedom, Liberty and Beca all being rated as solid. I only saw Liberty last year and was impressed.

You just hit on why Bethlehem Catholic was so good at the height of their powers. All of the best kids in Bethlehem used to go there, plus they'd cherry pick from other areas. It's not an accident that two years after Stem retired, Liberty started their 63-9 run with 3 state finals. All of their talent actually played there. Freedom is much less consistent (it's more Bethlehem Township than the city and about 1,000 students smaller than Liberty), but I think Jason Roeder is a really good coach and has them humming.

Bethlehem Catholic doesn't have an overwhelming amount of Bethlehem kids recently. Joe Jay Smith played two years at Freedom before transferring and EJ Fineran and Dante Lonardo were Bethlehem kids, but Spigner and Simmons were from Easton, Antwon Keenan is from Northampton, Blobe is from Saucon Valley as are a lot of others, Ward played two years at Allen, Camacho is from Nazareth, etc. They' E always done well in New Jersey, I'm sure there are kids from there too. But part of the Liberty and Freedom resurgences are Becahi is taking less of their kids.

Other than North Penn and Neshaminy who else in D1 looks to be a real contender? I know Pennsbury lost a lot and heard Coatesville did as well. Rock North lost McIlwan and Quakertown lost a fair amount including Garlick. Both Downingtowns are having to re-stock the shelves as well and Upper Dublin lost just about everyone. So who is lurking!?

The Coatesville-Easton scrimmage should be a great early litmus test for both program's rebuilding projects. I'm glad that Easton has moved to scheduling good out of area scrimmages after losing the scheduling flexibility for the week 1 non-conference game during league realignment.

If I'm not mistaken, two of the Young brothers and Jaden Hudson are back for Coatesville. They should be pretty dangerous at the skills spots if they can build an offensive line and find a replacement for Jordan Young under center.

D12 goes thru Girard Ave as always. Last year, anomaly. Nobody will keep Swift under 175. He'll lay 300 on the Judges and Romans of the world. Assuming he plays the second half. Man vs boys.

Won't happen. SJP likes to spread touches around. They like to throw to Swift and get other players touches. He is never going to get 30 carries a game.

D12 goes thru Girard Ave as always. Last year, anomaly. Nobody will keep Swift under 175. He'll lay 300 on the Judges and Romans of the world. Assuming he plays the second half. Man vs boys.

.."as always"??

Hasn't gone through Girard Ave. 8 of the last 10 yrs!

You must be a young Prep grad, the arrogance is telling and offensive to sight & smell. Wasn't too long ago the Judge's and Roman's were kicking your rear-ends back to 17th & Girard.

He may run for 300, never know?....have the best team money can buy out there, why not. btw...has he committed anywhere?.....any reason why not??

Fact of the matter is SJP has the best top to bottom football roster in the state the last 4 years running and they will again this year, it's more of a story if they don't win it.... and it's no secret to anyone with an IQ higher than a pebble how it got that way.

op-ed....
Comments like yours are why most in the PCL can't stand you clowns. Learn to be more respectful and compassionate to your opponent, now that you CURRENTLY have superior advantage on the football field.
Take a few lessons from Tulla, a knowledgeable, insightful and always respectful Prep booster, he's probably of my age group!!

Last edited:
SJP80 will likely weigh in himself. I hope he does. Of course the "as always" was a mistake. The facts are the facts.

I wouldn't say, though, that SJP has had the most talented roster in the state the last four years. The only year when I think that was certainly true was '14. Maybe it could also be said about '13. Last year, the fact that Swift was returning blinded some (including me at times) to the fact that so many really good players graduated the previous year. No need to list them all. And the addition of Madden certainly made LaSalle better. Huck made a good case on here that talent-wise, LaSalle was pretty much SJP's equal last year. They certainly had a better game plan for the championship game, while the Prep had the better plan the year before. Anyway, I don't think SJP was more talented than the eventual state champs, PCC, and maybe not as talented as Parkland.

I have no idea why Swift hasn't committed yet. Maybe someone with knowledge of the situation will chime in. He's still got plenty of time and maybe he's being pulled in different directions. I think it's well-known that LaSalle was very keen to have him enroll there.

"As always!" "Anomaly" Wow, that's artist's license if I ever heard it. This year might not be an anomaly considering the coaching changes going on. Young Gordon back leaving Steinmetz with more time to build on his defense might just be the ticket for some more fireworks. We shall see. That's why they play the game SJP80!

So other than Swift what does St. Joe's have to offer? What key players return? What young players are coming up? Dare I ask...What new players are enrolling? Surely there is more to say than "D'Andre Swift."

So other than Swift what does St. Joe's have to offer? What key players return? What young players are coming up? Dare I ask...What new players are enrolling? Surely there is more to say than "D'Andre Swift."
As I understand the likely starting QB will be Marquez McCray whom lots of people are very high on, They've got some very good receivers returning, including Terence Greene and Darryle Simmons, the latter having some D1 offers as just a sophomore. Davion Kidd-Jackson is a talented guy who can play lots of positions though I heard he may no longer be at the school. Khari Jones and Christian Waller are RBs with some varsity experience. Up front on offense they're expecting a lot from Carter Lynch who was hurt all of last year. And Mack Grey, Sal Cinaglia, and Jackson Evans are all returning OL starters.

On defense Richard Carr and Ricky Goodson are very good def. backs. James Johnson returns at LB and up front Chris Lowndes and Taron Hampton are returning starters. I'm no doubt missing some guys. Last year's JV team was undefeated and the freshman team lost only to a team from Maryland.

Overall, I expect a lot from this year's team.

As I understand the likely starting QB will be Marquez McCray whom lots of people are very high on, They've got some very good receivers returning, including Terence Greene and Darryle Simmons, the latter having some D1 offers as just a sophomore. Davion Kidd-Jackson is a talented guy who can play lots of positions though I heard he may no longer be at the school. Khari Jones and Christian Waller are RBs with some varsity experience. Up front on offense they're expecting a lot from Carter Lynch who was hurt all of last year. And Mack Grey, Sal Cinaglia, and Jackson Evans are all returning OL starters.

On defense Richard Carr and Ricky Goodson are very good def. backs. James Johnson returns at LB and up front Chris Lowndes and Taron Hampton are returning starters. I'm no doubt missing some guys. Last year's JV team was undefeated and the freshman team lost only to a team from Maryland.

I have heard/know McCray is very good. He was a North Penn kid actually. Played through Junior high in the district then "chose" to go to St Joe's over others. He's a very good athlete and very smart.

Last edited:
If Kidd-Jackson comes back to Easton, the 2017 squad could be very good. We'd even let him play quarterback...

The size SJP returns is overwhelming. Lynch is 6'6 315, Cinaglia is 6'3 275, Evans is 6'4 285, and Grey is the runt at 6'1 275. There are colleges that envy those measurables on the offensive line. Hampton at 6'4 290 and Lowndes at 6'1 225 aren't bad places to start up front on defense either.

Only PCC can match their physicality in Pennaylvania this year. The Vikings don't have a skill guy like Swift, but I think they're a little deeper with more impact guys on the offensive line and in the front 7 on defense. But that that's the presumptive state title game until proven otherwise (and you can probably say that on an annual basis).

Add O'Connor, Fisher, De Ilius and Bryce as names to watch on the defensive side. Fisher will probably assume Dumond's role on offense, also.

SJP80 will likely weigh in himself. I hope he does. Of course the "as always" was a mistake. The facts are the facts.

I wouldn't say, though, that SJP has had the most talented roster in the state the last four years. The only year when I think that was certainly true was '14. Maybe it could also be said about '13. Last year, the fact that Swift was returning blinded some (including me at times) to the fact that so many really good players graduated the previous year. No need to list them all. And the addition of Madden certainly made LaSalle better. Huck made a good case on here that talent-wise, LaSalle was pretty much SJP's equal last year. They certainly had a better game plan for the championship game, while the Prep had the better plan the year before. Anyway, I don't think SJP was more talented than the eventual state champs, PCC, and maybe not as talented as Parkland.

I have no idea why Swift hasn't committed yet. Maybe someone with knowledge of the situation will chime in. He's still got plenty of time and maybe he's being pulled in different directions. I think it's well-known that LaSalle was very keen to have him enroll there.

I strongly disagree. They have had the most talented roster over the past 4 years. Not even close.

I strongly disagree. They have had the most talented roster over the past 4 years. Not even close.
Strange, since before the championship game in 2013 the consensus seemed to be that PCC had more talent. Many didn't even think the game would be close. The year before lots of people on this board thought Wood was more talented and should have beaten SJP. LaSalle was also very talented and should at least have gotten to the state final if they didn't have some crucial injuries against Coatesville. The '14 team was very talented, but the injury to Reid really hurt them against Parkland and Pine-Richland, two teams that had good/great passing games. Last year, I tried to make the argument on here that SJP had clearly better talent than LaSalle. Huck made a good case that that wasn't so. Certainly SJP was dealing with some injuries to important players at the end, but I don't want to make that an excuse. The same perhaps could be said for LaSalle.

A more general point. Emphasizing how much talent a team has and especially emphasizing how much more talent they have than another team can be seen as a way of minimizing their actual achievements. That may not be the intention, but it's almost always the effect. It also makes beating them look like the result of some quality other than talent: more heart, better coaching, a better work ethic, etc.

Strange, since before the championship game in 2013 the consensus seemed to be that PCC had more talent. Many didn't even think the game would be close. The year before lots of people on this board thought Wood was more talented and should have beaten SJP. LaSalle was also very talented and should at least have gotten to the state final if they didn't have some crucial injuries against Coatesville. The '14 team was very talented, but the injury to Reid really hurt them against Parkland and Pine-Richland, two teams that had good/great passing games. Last year, I tried to make the argument on here that SJP had clearly better talent than LaSalle. Huck made a good case that that wasn't so. Certainly SJP was dealing with some injuries to important players at the end, but I don't want to make that an excuse. The same perhaps could be said for LaSalle.

A more general point. Emphasizing how much talent a team has and especially emphasizing how much more talent they have than another team can be seen as a way of minimizing their actual achievements. That may not be the intention, but it's almost always the effect. It also makes beating them look like the result of some quality other than talent: more heart, better coaching, a better work ethic, etc.

I agree. I should have said, in my opinion they have had the most talent.
LaSalle had a VERY GOOD team last season. They were better than SJP on one day, particularly in one half of football. SJP had more talent than LaSalle last year and will have more than them this year and next year as well. I know I'm stating the obvious here but TALENT doesn't always win championships.
I take back my prior comment that it wasn't even close. Those other squads that you mentioned were all very talented as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT