ADVERTISEMENT

District 11/2/4 Big School Power Rankings: Week 1

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Back for what I think is my fourth year of my District 11/2/4 power rankings, and the second year where I will try to put them out weekly. It won’t be a pure Quad-A ranking, as Bethlehem Catholic and Allentown Central Catholic are so enmeshed with the Quad-A schools in the Lehigh Valley that ranking them provides some context for what’s going on in the Valley as a whole. Therefore, I’ll consider 3A schools in the region as well, though I admittedly don’t follow it as closely.

In my preseason list, I have also listed every District/Subregional title won by each team since the start of state playoffs in 1988 (D11 has been holding a District tournament since 1985 I believe), with bolded and underlined years they also won the state championship, underlined for state finals appearances, and italicized for eastern final (final 4) appearances. Returning starters are broken in to (offense/defense).

Parkland is the obvious favorite, coming off of three consecutive subregional championships. They’re ranked #3 in the Harrisburg Patriot-News poll, #5 in the PaFootballNews poll, and will likely be a top 5 team when this website’s ranking comes out. Bethlehem Catholic slots in second in my rankings. In 3A, they are #6 in the Harrisburg Patriot-News poll and #7 in the PaFootballNews poll. They’re the only teams in the state rankings at this point. Freedom, Wyoming Valley West, and Easton are all teams to watch in the Harrisburg Patriot-News 4A poll, and Crestwood, Scranton Prep, and Lehighton are all 3A teams to watch. PaFootballNews has Saucon Valley, and Scranton Prep as teams to watch in 3A and does not have any D11 or D2 teams on their 4A watch list.

1. Parkland
District Titles: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2007, 2002, 1998, 1996
Returning Starters: 10 (5/5)

Preseason Chatter: The Jahan Worth/Nolan Ridgway dynamic is most interesting to me. It looks like Ridgway, who ran for 610 yards and 10 touchdowns last season after earning the job during the year, has been moved to slot receiver and that Worth is going to be the feature running back. He’s a tremendous athlete (I’m skeptical of Hudl profile numbers but Worth’s are gaudy, and he had an impressive freshman year in both wrestling and powerlifting). Ridgway leads all returning running backs in the EPC South in yards, so Morgans and the staff must be very confident in Worth. One thing is for certain, they need a more dependable running game if they’re going to win a state championship. Against St. Joseph’s Prep, Easton, and Whitehall, their running backs carried the ball 36 times for 132 yards and no touchdowns, and almost 1/3 of those yards came from one Preston Saylor 40 yard run. Factor that carry out, and Parkland running backs averaged 2.6 yards per carry in the four toughest games on the Trojan’s schedule where Parkland went 1-3 (with the lone win being in a game where they did not score an offensive touchdown). Everybody on these boards laments teams that don’t throw the football, but the reverse is just as dangerous and something Parkland needs to address this season.

This Week: Parkland plays the Dieruff Huskies. While Dieruff is a program heading in the right direction (their numbers are up, they’ve been on the edge of a .500 season the last two years), but they’re not on Parkland’s level. Parkland should have it well in control by halftime.

2. Bethlehem Catholic
District Titles: 2014, 2013, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1992, 1990, 1989, 1988
Returning Starters: 14 (7/7)

Preseason Chatter: Head coach Joe Henrich does not seem happy with the way camp went. He has been publically critical of his team so far, and that will be a dynamic to watch. I’m interested whether that is a motivation technique or genuine concern. Recruitniks will find the Golden Hawks to be the most interesting team in the Lehigh Valley because they have a bunch of skill guys holding Division I offers (FBS for Joe Jay Smith and Elijah Fineran, FCS for Julian Spigner and Noah Stewart), but with Beca the last two years, the losses haven’t been about lack of talent. They should cruise through 3A in District 11, but they need to be more disciplined and play much better defense if they have any aspirations of playing deep into December. If they can block, they’re going to score a ton of points, as very few teams in the state have a receiving corps like Beca and Spigner, an All State selection last year, is an accurate and polished quarterback to get them the ball.

This Week: Liberty. See EPC Game of the Week post.

3. Freedom:
District Titles: None (District Finals: 2008)
Returning Starters: 11 (4/7)

Preseason Chatter: The Freedom defense is getting plenty of hype coming in to the season. Last year’s unit forced 33 turnovers in 12 games and they’ll need to replace ballhawks John Callahan (hybrid/strike) and Jake Young (free safety) to have the same kind of success. But they have a boatload of experienced guys ready for more snaps, two outstanding individuals in Cordell Cotto and Brady Hornbaker, and there has been a clear shift to a "rip the ball" philosophy. The offense apparently looked sharp against Central Dauphin, and Joe Young seems to be fully recovered from his hip injury, which did not require surgery. It would not shock me if Young ends up a Division I recruit, as he has the size (6’3 180), accuracy (70% completion percentage last year) and athleticism to play at the next level. If he has a big junior year, expect him to be on a lot of radars.

This Week: Freedom opens with East Stroudsburg South, who is expected to be much improved from last year. ESS quarterback Jeff Cirillo had a very promising freshman year, but last season was marred by injuries. He should give the Freedom defense a nice early season test before getting in to their Lehigh Valley schedule.

4. Wyoming Valley West
District Titles: 1997
Returning Starters: 14 (8/6)

Preseason Chatter: They might be the biggest sleeper in the east. Now, I knock District 2 (and MVC) football with some frequency, and I’ll believe any of the northern teams winning the subregional title when I see it, but the Spartans bring back a ton. Although they’ll need to break in a new starter at quarterback, Devon Weidman, Sean Judge, and LJ Wesneski each caught at least 30 passes last year, which will certainly ease the transition. Wesneski in particular is an All State candidate at tight end who holds a number of FCS offers. They also bring back three of five offensive linemen, including big time sophomore tackle Chris Bleich, a 6’6 315 pound behemoth who will be the most highly recruited player out of District 2 since Geno Lewis. Defensively, ends Wesneski and Chris Reese combined for 14 sacks last year and middle linebacker Billy Davidson is a classic, high motor, physical high school linebacker. They’re going to need to find a quarterback, but WVW’s recent run under center gives me confidence in the programs ability to develop one.

This Week: They open with Wyoming Area as heavy favorites.

5. Easton
District Titles: 2010, 2009, 2004, 2003, 1993, 1991, 1990
Returning Starters: 8 (3/5)

Preseason Chatter: They’re obviously going to run the ball, it’s Easton, but they may look more like the 2010 and 2011 versions of Easton that relied on the arms of athletic, senior quarterbacks as their primary offense. Like those teams, it’ll probably be running back by committee rather than one or two bell cows. The closer parallel is the 2011 team, which like this season, had an entirely new group of receivers and tight ends. Defensively, they might be very good. They have all sorts of athletes up front and in the secondary, and Easton’s had good linebacker play since the McKinley administration.

This Week: Easton hosts Pleasant Valley, who they beat rather soundly in both their season opener and first round playoff game last year. Both teams lost a ton of players to graduation, though PV running back Austyn Borre is back and should break the 4,000 career yard barrier this season (and has an outside shot at 5,000). If Easton’s defense can bottle him up, they should roll.

6. Emmaus
District Titles: None
Returning Starters: 13 (9/4)

Preseason Chatter: Once again, Emmaus is the popular sleeper. They return all five starters on the offensive line, including All EPC tackle Jared Romig, and average 249 across on the offensive line. Tailback Kyle Boney flashed his potential against Coatesville in their first scrimmage. He’s a load to tackle (6’0 225), but also has top end speed and soft hands out of the backfield. Coach Randy Cuthbert seems very confident in new quarterback Derek Schaeffer, who transferred in from Southern Lehigh, so trained in their spread, throw it all over system. He won’t be asked to do anywhere near as much at Emmaus, but does have a pair of monster sized pass catchers in Kyle Carraher (6’4 235) and Josh Artis (6’5 185), plus Matt Bisko, who caught 13 passes as a freshman last season.

This Week: Interesting first week match up with East Stroudsburg North. This game might be over in an hour and fifteen minutes, as neither team is going to throw the ball unless they absolutely have to. ESN runs the triple-option, which may take some of Emmaus’s advantages on the defensive line out of the equation. Emmaus is deeper and bigger, which should prevail in the end, but we’ll see how well their defense makes reads and keeps assignments. Offensively, they should overpower the 3A Timberwolves.

7. Liberty
District Titles: 2008, 2006, 2005, 1994
Returning Starters: 12 (5/7)

Preseason Chatter: If Emmaus isn’t the preseason sleeper than Liberty is. Despite the graduation of their three leading receivers, the Hurricanes still have loads of talent on the perimeter, and quarterback Doug Erney is a four year starter on pace to smash all of Dan Persa’s passing records. However, the Hurricanes are going to need to play some defense, a unit that has let them down, particularly against the run, since the rock-ribbed groups from the 2004-2009 glory years. It’s hard to believe that Liberty hasn’t been to District playoffs since 2009 and has not won a playoff game since beating Bethel Park for the 2008 state title. Head coach John Truby has been effusive in his praise for Erney during camp, and it’s clear that he’s going to be given the controls to the offense.

This Week: Bethlehem Catholic. See EPC Game of the Week post.

8. Stroudsburg
District Titles: None (District Finals: 1995, 1990)
Returning Starters: 13 (6/7)

Preseason Chatter: The Mounties have been the most consistent program in Monroe County over the last half decade, and despite losing five all EPC North selections (including Offensive MVP Gerald Douglas and Defensive MVP Cole Secor) they remain the favorite from the old MVC teams, . He has received little to no preseason buzz, but Jake Jakobson could be in the elite class of quarterbacks in the subregional. The Lehigh bound wrestler has prototypical size (6’4 200) and athleticism, throws a great ball, and had a much better statistical 2014 than you realize (50.8%, 1,173 yards, 17 TDs to 3 INTs). They’re going to throw the ball more without Douglas, who broke Artie Owens’ 44 year old Stroudsburg career rushing record, but Jakobson seems prepped to shoulder the load on offense.

This Week: Stroudsburg hosts Nazareth in Week 1. The Blue Eagles should be better than in 2014, where injuries and youth crushed them. Stroudsburg will have their hands full with sophomore receiver Jahan Dotson, who is a next level talent. But overall depth, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines, should give Stroudsburg a comfortable victory.

9. Scranton
District Titles: None
Returning Starters: 12 (6/6)

Preseason Chatter: They’re going to be massive up front and have some skill guys that can give the EPC teams problems. With an offensive line that goes 305-265-285-225-295, they’ll be the biggest front on most team’s schedule in the northeast. Wide receiver John Marichak and tight end Dylan Granahan are proven weapons, and Jacob Watts had a nice showing at tailback when Jake McCarthy got hurt last season. It looks like Watts will move to quarterback this season, and brings both size and athleticism. The key will be how those big linemen who go both ways, particularly, Nico Bush and Nasir Muhammed, keep their gas tank in physical games as the season wears on.

This Week: Scranton looks to avenge last season’s opening loss to the Dallas Mountaineers. That loss gave Scranton absolutely no wiggle room at the end of the year, which was submarined with the loss of All State running back Jake McCarthy. It ended up the anchor around their neck that kept them out of the subregional playoffs. Revenge will be very much on their mind.

10. Saucon Valley
District Titles: 2004
Returning Starters: 17 (10/7)

Preseason Chatter: Bethlehem Catholic’s competition in D11 3A will be the Saucon Valley Panthers. Head coach Matt Evancho’s team won a Colonial League championship and lost to Bethlehem Catholic in District finals last season. However, to illustrate the gap between the EPC and the Colonial League, Becahi rolled 49-7 in that game. All State candidate Evan Culver returns at running back, where he gained 1,715 yards as a junior. Quarterback Zach Thatcher also returns, as do all five offensive linemen. The offense should be explosive and dominate their conference. Defensively, Evancho is one of the best coaches in the Valley. The former Easton linebacker and Penn State defensive end was the defensive coordinator for the 2006 Wilson team that bottled up Terrelle Pryor in the 2A Championship game, and he’s crafted great defenses in his time as the SV head coach. He also brings back a boatload of starters, including defensive end Matt Kane who led the conference in sacks last year. The Colonial League is a solid small school conference, but the Panthers will be a heavy favorite all year.

This Week: Saucon opens up with Salisbury, who is just 10-32 over the last four years. The Panthers should cruise.

Teams to Watch: Whitehall, Lehighton, Scranton Prep, Crestwood, Delaware Valley, East Stroudsburg South, East Stroudsburg North, Pleasant Valley, Williamsport

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT