ADVERTISEMENT

Devlin leaving Wood

Coach Schmidt is one the area's all-time best coaches. Wood would be lucky to get someone so knowledgeable and committed. Yes I had my moments w him when he screamed at me through an entire quarter but he was just intense and his teams really responded for him. Relayer, i believe your a Rock guy and I think your rivalry has clouded your mind
In this day of entitlement, political correctness, helicopter parents and positive reinforcement over negative reinforcement, I can see why many people on this thread don't like Schmidt's coaching style.

Reactions: vucat1
In this day of entitlement, political correctness, helicopter parents and positive reinforcement over negative reinforcement, I can see why many people on this thread don't like Schmidt's coaching style.

In this day of candyasses...

In this day of candyasses...

As an Ursinus alum, who never went to a game while I was there or since, I personally would not have been in favor of the Devlin hire. He cheats and doesn't think the rules pertain to him, I think they should have found someone better.

As for Schmidt, I've seen his act and I wouldn't want him representing my high school either. There is no way I'd want him to coach my kids.

as most of the board knows I have never been a wood fan (even though my wife went there)... or a Devlin fan for that matter... but I have to say anytime a local guy / or girl does good for themselves.. I want to wish them luck

Are you guys crazy? A Demotion? If public school teaching salaries/pensions were not a factor I would bet that 95% of Pa HS coaches would take a D3 Coordinator job. It is crazy to think this is a demotion for him. And BTW No kid and I mean NO HS PLAYERS get scholarships from AAU 7on7 Teams. College coaches can’t go to those nor do they care. College football recruiting still goes through the HS coaches but at the end of the day the College Coach makes the decision based on game film and camp evaluation. I think this is a good move by Devlin, he’s betting on himself. If he is successful he will move up pretty quickly same with Connor. Prime example is Tim McGorry from ACC he was the OC for those Nosovitch teams he took a D3 Coordinator Job, and is now an FCS coach and was mentioned for several FCS Coordinator jobs this off season. It is very very very hard to break into college football especially D 2/3 when you have never been a GA. Devlin and Connor can always go back to HS if it doesn’t work out. But to think taking a D3 Coordinator Job is lateral to a Head HS job is ludicrous. Most HS are not good enough to be a position coach let alone a D3 Coordinator.
Barkley stayed and played with his friends from Whitehall & Coplay. 2 offensive linemen who played on the line with Barkley graduate in June. They were freshmen his senior year. It didn't hurt Saquon when it came to college. If a player is that good, FBS finds them.
Watching ABWood play, I always wondered what Devlin would do at a Whitehall. No transfers, no shenanigans.

Barkley stayed and played with his friends from Whitehall & Coplay. 2 offensive linemen who played on the line with Barkley graduate in June. They were freshmen his senior year. It didn't hurt Saquon when it came to college. If a player is that good, FBS finds them.
Watching ABWood play, I always wondered what Devlin would do at a Whitehall. No transfers, no shenanigans.

I would imagine Devlin would do about the same as Gilbert has done. And Gilbert would do as good as Devlin has done at Wood. You can screw up good players too if your incompetent. Brian Gilbert is a very good coach and does more with less, I’d imagine he’d do well at Wood. On the flip side Devlin (or any good coach) does just roll the ball out on Friday night. Those kids love Devlin and he is very hard on them. I’d imagine he would get the most out Whitehall kids. Having bad players doesn’t make you a bad coach, but just because you have great players it doesn’t mean you can only win with talent either.

Job has to be posted for a minimum of 3 weeks. I believe that is the Archdiocese rule. I think that means applications are still being accepted until the end of this week, first interviews probably the week after.

In the Centennial Conference which is the conference Ursinus is a part of a typical coaching staff consists of a Head Coach 2-3 Full Time Assistants and 3-4 Interns, and possibly some part time coaches. In this conference the Head Coaches make about anywhere from $70,000-120,000; Coordinators make anywhere from $45,000-65,000; Full Time position coaches make anwhere from $30,000-$50,000. I’d say that is a pretty decent living for a Head Coach and Coordinator. They get paid to do football all day long! D3 has nothing to do with coaches “who are not in demand” or “looking at retirement”. Bobby Acosta was a HS coach who started at D3 Coordinator and was an FBS position coach and now FCS Coordinator, Phil Longo was a HS coach who started as a D3 Coordinator and is now a Power 5 Coordinator. I cannot tell you how hard it is to get a college coaching job at any level. Shoot the D3 schools in New England NESCAC pay better than most FCS jobs in the country, you can there and make almost 200k to be a Head D3 Coach. The lower positions on staff the GA’s so to speak make anywhere from $5,000-$20,000 but other than that thinking these guys work for peanuts is not true. Does anyone know why the Ursinus DC job is open? Because the DC went to Oklahoma State! Does anyone know why the Widener DC job that Connor took was open? Because the DC went to the NFL!

In the Centennial Conference which is the conference Ursinus is a part of a typical coaching staff consists of a Head Coach 2-3 Full Time Assistants and 3-4 Interns, and possibly some part time coaches. In this conference the Head Coaches make about anywhere from $70,000-120,000; Coordinators make anywhere from $45,000-65,000; Full Time position coaches make anwhere from $30,000-$50,000. I’d say that is a pretty decent living for a Head Coach and Coordinator. They get paid to do football all day long! D3 has nothing to do with coaches “who are not in demand” or “looking at retirement”. Bobby Acosta was a HS coach who started at D3 Coordinator and was an FBS position coach and now FCS Coordinator, Phil Longo was a HS coach who started as a D3 Coordinator and is now a Power 5 Coordinator. I cannot tell you how hard it is to get a college coaching job at any level. Shoot the D3 schools in New England NESCAC pay better than most FCS jobs in the country, you can there and make almost 200k to be a Head D3 Coach. The lower positions on staff the GA’s so to speak make anywhere from $5,000-$20,000 but other than that thinking these guys work for peanuts is not true. Does anyone know why the Ursinus DC job is open? Because the DC went to Oklahoma State! Does anyone know why the Widener DC job that Connor took was open? Because the DC went to the NFL!
It's great insight, D-11. But the difference is that Shuey left Widener to coach with Nagy and the Chicago Bears because Nagy had previously coached with Shuey in the NFL. So, Shuey took a step down by going to Widener, but had those relationships with NFL coaches from previous experience. Devlin lacks those relationships because he came from the high school ranks. Just saying that Devlin's chances of making a similar move are almost nil. But it's great to see D-3 coaches make moves to D-1 and the NFL.

A nice member of the press got me on the field. For any fan of high school football, that game was a treat to see in person. Those were 2 of the best 3 teams in the state back in 2015.
That was a good game.

D11

You can't look at this without factoring in the teaching salary. A first year teacher at Ridley makes $45,000 a year. A 15 year teacher at Ridley makes over $100,000 a year. And they are on the low end as far as public schools go. I understand Devlin was at a catholic school , but I would guess that his salary , plus coaching stipend , and whatever other 'perks' he had total more money than he will make at
Ursinus. And while Ursinus is a decent program, there are better athletes and higher profile kids at Wood across the board than ever will suit up for Ursinus. So unless he is using this as a stepping stone to move up the college coaching ranks ( he may be too old for that) I don't see this as a promotion.

Speed:
Devlin was one of the coaches at the Army All-Star game this year. You may be right in it's a stepping stone the Div1 or pro coaches down the road. I see Connor doing the same thing. 4 or 5 years at Widener, then heading to the NFL where he belongs (pro intelligence) IMO.

Relative stability, location and chance for upward movement? All things considered it’s a good opportunity. And you have to figure taking a break from the administrative side of being a HC to going back to about 90% football had to be alluring.

Agreed with all of those reasons. Additionally, could he be striking while the iron is hot? Back to back state championships coupled with the graduation of lots of talent probably played a role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT