ADVERTISEMENT

Devlin leaving Wood

Wow - this will get the board going! Good luck to Coach Devlin. He did a marvelous job taking over that program.

Wood had a good run before Devlin, but he took them to a completely different level. Will be VERY interested to see what the next guy will do and the direction they go from here. Will be just as interested to see how Devlin adapts to the college game and to becoming a DC. This is a guy who spent the past 20 years(?) calling offenses.

Thats 2 PCL Head Coaches making the jump (?) to DIII schools to become coordinators, not head coaches. Do they know something we do not?

I don't think it's too much of a leap to think he's gotten other offers over the years. that being said, I wonder if they had a plan in place for when this time came.

I’m sure Devlin didn’t make this decision last night. So considering the timing of the announcement being relatively late, I would guess they have a successor lined up by now.

Reactions: newman107
I’m sure Devlin didn’t make this decision last night. So considering the timing of the announcement being relatively late, I would guess they have a successor lined up by now.
I'll also bet Schmidt throws his hat in the ring.Note: is there any truth that Wood's incoming frosh numbers are still relatively very low?

Thats 2 PCL Head Coaches making the jump (?) to DIII schools to become coordinators, not head coaches. Do they know something we do not?
It's rare to go from any level and keep the same title as HC.
Each level is a completely new game with unique and very different problems.

Not disputing its anew game with different problems. But with his resume, the quality of his program, they quality of his coaching staff, I find it hard to beleive he has not had better offers over the years than Ursinus? Even Terry Smith, who chronically under achieved at Gateway, managed to find his way onto the Penn State staff. Without knowing all that much about Devlin and his family situation etc-isnt this a lateral move at best?

I'll also bet Schmidt throws his hat in the ring.Note: is there any truth that Wood's incoming frosh numbers are still relatively very low?

If Wood took any notes of Schmidt's tenure (actions) at LaSalle or Imhotep, it would be in their best interest to not even go there.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Not disputing its anew game with different problems. But with his resume, the quality of his program, they quality of his coaching staff, I find it hard to beleive he has not had better offers over the years than Ursinus? Even Terry Smith, who chronically under achieved at Gateway, managed to find his way onto the Penn State staff. Without knowing all that much about Devlin and his family situation etc-isnt this a lateral move at best?

I don't think Terry Smith was hired at Penn State for his coaching and scheme prowess, but his ability to cultivate relationships and recruit in Western Pa. The high school to college jump is 99.9% about recruiting and pipelines, and Smith has proven very good at that.

Im sure wood won't look to hire any of these "old timers" younger, hungry coach would be the best way to go here.

Interesting decision, last minute, DC at Ursinus is not even a lateral move, Successful HS coaches go DI or DII. Is Wood going in a different direction? Carey assisting elsewhere? Then again every college program needs a recruiting coordinator.

Terry Smith was 1st hired by Matt Rhule at Temple. Then hired by Franklin at Penn State, in both cases his connections to Penn State and his connections to Western Pa were a factor. Imagine Devlin walking into a Public School in District 1 or 12 to recruit a player to go to Ursinus? It will be the 1st time he does it legitimately. The guy is a fraud and a cheat. His State Championships are tarnished. He cheated and with new legislation concerning transfers he saw the hand writing on the wall and got the best job he could get. D1 and D2 saw what a snake the guy is. Hence he ends up at Ursinus.

Terry Smith was 1st hired by Matt Rhule at Temple. Then hired by Franklin at Penn State, in both cases his connections to Penn State and his connections to Western Pa were a factor. Imagine Devlin walking into a Public School in District 1 or 12 to recruit a player to go to Ursinus? It will be the 1st time he does it legitimately. The guy is a fraud and a cheat. His State Championships are tarnished. He cheated and with new legislation concerning transfers he saw the hand writing on the wall and got the best job he could get. D1 and D2 saw what a snake the guy is. Hence he ends up at Ursinus.
Don’t hold back SOL!

Don’t hold back SOL!
Sorry Chesmont. My neighbor in Bensalem cousin was a solid player in Public School, Wood guaranteed he would receive a D1 scholarship and wouldn't get the looks at his school he was playing at. Kid transfers for Senior Year, parents were well educated how to fill out transfer papers by Wood staff so it wouldn't seem like a athletic transfer. Young man becomes a bammering ram at Wood, pays 6k in tuition, starts, no D1 offers. Goes to a PSAC school. There were several players from the school he transferred from playing in the PSAC btw. His story wasn't the only one either. Many of the major D1 kids got it from AAU 7 on 7 teams, not playing at Wood. Devlin and staff could not win within the framework of the rules within the PIAA. And the District they're in, District 12 is the Wild Wild West in regards to following and the enforcement of rules/guidelines. Guy is a fraud, if he wants to show his coaching excellence, go to Tennent, don't recruit, and win. That would be an achievement.

I know of the player you're talking about. Hell of a player and a really nice kid. Nothing in sports is guaranteed. He and his parents took a shot. On the flip side, how many players took the same shot and it worked out by getting D1 offers playing for Wood, LaSalle, Prep, etc? I respect your opinion and what you're saying but sometimes things don't always work out. Just saying......

Reactions: lilromeo and ESG76
Are you guys crazy? A Demotion? If public school teaching salaries/pensions were not a factor I would bet that 95% of Pa HS coaches would take a D3 Coordinator job. It is crazy to think this is a demotion for him. And BTW No kid and I mean NO HS PLAYERS get scholarships from AAU 7on7 Teams. College coaches can’t go to those nor do they care. College football recruiting still goes through the HS coaches but at the end of the day the College Coach makes the decision based on game film and camp evaluation. I think this is a good move by Devlin, he’s betting on himself. If he is successful he will move up pretty quickly same with Connor. Prime example is Tim McGorry from ACC he was the OC for those Nosovitch teams he took a D3 Coordinator Job, and is now an FCS coach and was mentioned for several FCS Coordinator jobs this off season. It is very very very hard to break into college football especially D 2/3 when you have never been a GA. Devlin and Connor can always go back to HS if it doesn’t work out. But to think taking a D3 Coordinator Job is lateral to a Head HS job is ludicrous. Most HS are not good enough to be a position coach let alone a D3 Coordinator.

Are you guys crazy? A Demotion? If public school teaching salaries/pensions were not a factor I would bet that 95% of Pa HS coaches would take a D3 Coordinator job. It is crazy to think this is a demotion for him. And BTW No kid and I mean NO HS PLAYERS get scholarships from AAU 7on7 Teams. College coaches can’t go to those nor do they care. College football recruiting still goes through the HS coaches but at the end of the day the College Coach makes the decision based on game film and camp evaluation. I think this is a good move by Devlin, he’s betting on himself. If he is successful he will move up pretty quickly same with Connor. Prime example is Tim McGorry from ACC he was the OC for those Nosovitch teams he took a D3 Coordinator Job, and is now an FCS coach and was mentioned for several FCS Coordinator jobs this off season. It is very very very hard to break into college football especially D 2/3 when you have never been a GA. Devlin and Connor can always go back to HS if it doesn’t work out. But to think taking a D3 Coordinator Job is lateral to a Head HS job is ludicrous. Most HS are not good enough to be a position coach let alone a D3 Coordinator.

Well said D11, Coach Devlin did a great job at Wood and I am sure will be an asset at Ursinus.

Reactions: lilromeo
I agree D11, really well said. It'll be interesting where the Wood program goes from here. Whoever takes over will have big shoes to fill (figuratively speaking of course lol).

D3 is where young guys who are interested in coaching start, get paid little and get their masters. It, also where veteran coaches go who no longer are in demand or are tired of moving go for retirement. Very few coaches stay in one place for long in college football. Ursinus is in a conference that before expansion was known as the "egg head eight", Johns Hopkins, F & M, Mulenberg and academics are a priority. Maybe the next move is Notre Dame. I believe a former player is now the head coach at Florida.

In the Centennial Conference which is the conference Ursinus is a part of a typical coaching staff consists of a Head Coach 2-3 Full Time Assistants and 3-4 Interns, and possibly some part time coaches. In this conference the Head Coaches make about anywhere from $70,000-120,000; Coordinators make anywhere from $45,000-65,000; Full Time position coaches make anwhere from $30,000-$50,000. I’d say that is a pretty decent living for a Head Coach and Coordinator. They get paid to do football all day long! D3 has nothing to do with coaches “who are not in demand” or “looking at retirement”. Bobby Acosta was a HS coach who started at D3 Coordinator and was an FBS position coach and now FCS Coordinator, Phil Longo was a HS coach who started as a D3 Coordinator and is now a Power 5 Coordinator. I cannot tell you how hard it is to get a college coaching job at any level. Shoot the D3 schools in New England NESCAC pay better than most FCS jobs in the country, you can there and make almost 200k to be a Head D3 Coach. The lower positions on staff the GA’s so to speak make anywhere from $5,000-$20,000 but other than that thinking these guys work for peanuts is not true. Does anyone know why the Ursinus DC job is open? Because the DC went to Oklahoma State! Does anyone know why the Widener DC job that Connor took was open? Because the DC went to the NFL!

I know of the player you're talking about. Hell of a player and a really nice kid. Nothing in sports is guaranteed. He and his parents took a shot. On the flip side, how many players took the same shot and it worked out by getting D1 offers playing for Wood, LaSalle, Prep, etc? I respect your opinion and what you're saying but sometimes things don't always work out. Just saying......

Took a shot?? If a kid has the potential to play at the next level, coaches will recruit him no matter what high school he plays at. Go to camps, get your name out there and put together some solid film. Stop it with this catholic school gets you college looks nonsense!

Reactions: D11_Football
In the Centennial Conference which is the conference Ursinus is a part of a typical coaching staff consists of a Head Coach 2-3 Full Time Assistants and 3-4 Interns, and possibly some part time coaches. In this conference the Head Coaches make about anywhere from $70,000-120,000; Coordinators make anywhere from $45,000-65,000; Full Time position coaches make anwhere from $30,000-$50,000. I’d say that is a pretty decent living for a Head Coach and Coordinator. They get paid to do football all day long! D3 has nothing to do with coaches “who are not in demand” or “looking at retirement”. Bobby Acosta was a HS coach who started at D3 Coordinator and was an FBS position coach and now FCS Coordinator, Phil Longo was a HS coach who started as a D3 Coordinator and is now a Power 5 Coordinator. I cannot tell you how hard it is to get a college coaching job at any level. Shoot the D3 schools in New England NESCAC pay better than most FCS jobs in the country, you can there and make almost 200k to be a Head D3 Coach. The lower positions on staff the GA’s so to speak make anywhere from $5,000-$20,000 but other than that thinking these guys work for peanuts is not true. Does anyone know why the Ursinus DC job is open? Because the DC went to Oklahoma State! Does anyone know why the Widener DC job that Connor took was open? Because the DC went to the NFL!

I was on the Imhotep sideline for the D12 championship against Wood two years ago. His actions were way over the top. He's had his share of controversy at Neshaminy. The guy was a very good coach, I've always said that. At this stage in the proceedings I would go in another direction.

I was on the Imhotep sideline for the D12 championship against Wood two years ago. His actions were way over the top. He's had his share of controversy at Neshaminy. The guy was a very good coach, I've always said that. At this stage in the proceedings I would go in another direction.

Why were you on the Imhotep sideline? You're a Council Rock guy, no?

A nice member of the press got me on the field. For any fan of high school football, that game was a treat to see in person. Those were 2 of the best 3 teams in the state back in 2015.

I've always been a Schmidt fan. He has spent a ton of his own time working with players and has even gotten kids to school for classes. As much as this guy gets bashed on this site, things like this are rarely mentioned. He is a classic case of a coach who makes nickels on the dime for the amount of time spent coaching up players. I think he will be back as a head coach somewhere. I was at that Wood/Imhotep game and he was literally exhausted at the end of it. He put every ounce of energy into that game and the Imhotep team the last couple years. He gets hammered for his style of tough love approach coaching but if he coached during Petine's era the thought process on him would of been different.

I've always believed, and still do, that Schmidt is a very good football coach. I understand people don't like his style, especially in today's climate. I also acknowledge the criticism he receives and to some extent it is warranted. However, it's hard to say he isn't effective as football coach regarding the "on the field product."

I've gotten to know Coach Schmidt (a little bit) over the years and I'm behind him 100%. And that goes back to the first time I met him when my Dad and I were taking a stroll around the school one day and bumped into him (my Dad's an old high school and college player and was into the game to say the least). Despite his schedule Coach made the time to chat with us about football for a good half hour (what a treat that was especially for my Dad).

Some years later when my Dad passed Coach showed up at the viewing out of the blue to pay his respects -- in his coaching gear no less with practice starting soon that afternoon (it was late in that great 2013 season with playoffs then underway). Somewhat astonished Coach told me just how important family is to him and he wanted me to know that.

Then being close to the Neshaminy family as I am, I can tell you plenty of people also think the world of him too -- players, parents, other coaches, admin and on. Plus as alluded to above he's done plenty for the school, the program and his players over the years that wasn't always out front (that's in addition to putting the 'Skins back on top following a not so memorable period in the early 1990s).

So wherever he's heading and whatever he's doing I'm in his corner (if I had a boy and he was playing ball I'd love to have Schmidt as his coach).

Reactions: Fletchster1
Coach Schmidt is one the area's all-time best coaches. Wood would be lucky to get someone so knowledgeable and committed. Yes I had my moments w him when he screamed at me through an entire quarter but he was just intense and his teams really responded for him. Relayer, i believe your a Rock guy and I think your rivalry has clouded your mind

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT