ADVERTISEMENT

Decker to step down

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Step down"

Thinking there might've been a little bit of ushering...

Well, JK, you know delco times won't throw anyone under the bus and the family thing has a nice holiday sentiment to it.

I'm sure admin/alumni have a short list of people they want to coach. Any ideas of who could be on that list. Do Waller and batty come back as a tandem? They're not getting any younger though. Anyone on the current staff or in the district? Is there an alum who currently coaches somewhere else? Vosheski at ap, pidgeon at lower merion, vasso at Kansas City (I know that's not happening). Or do they open it up and see how many applicants they get and see who they like. Let's just say Ridley football has hit that "fork in the road" with this decision.

Great kids, great area. Hope they find a quality person to put Ridley back where they belong in ChestMont

I'm sure admin/alumni have a short list of people they want to coach. Any ideas of who could be on that list. Do Waller and batty come back as a tandem? They're not getting any younger though. Anyone on the current staff or in the district? Is there an alum who currently coaches somewhere else? Vosheski at ap, pidgeon at lower merion, vasso at Kansas City (I know that's not happening). Or do they open it up and see how many applicants they get and see who they like. Let's just say Ridley football has hit that "fork in the road" with this decision.
Rumors are already starting to circulate, as you can imagine. One of them being Waller coming out of retirement, but who knows how much truth there is to that. Vosheski's name has always been tossed around, but that's been because it's just a logical link with him being an alumni; not sure how much interest either side actually has. I'm sure all alumni would be thrilled to have a young, enthusiastic coach with NFL experience like Dino Vasso; but I'm gonna say that has zero shot of happening. I'm assuming he has his eyes on a bigger prize.

So to answer your question, I haven't heard any credible names thrown out yet (it did just happen last night, after all). But I'm sure names will start popping up soon, and when they do they'll be posted here.

Ridley has several good candidates right under their nose, within their school. School board needs to step up, give these candidates what they need, put aside politics and cronyism and get this program back to its rightful place.

The current staff is also gone with Decker, so it's not likely it will be anyone there. I think the 'fork in the road' decision is whether they limit the search to just Ridley grads-which is what they have always done- or open it up to any outsiders.

Despite the fact that it just happened last night , the wheels for this were in motion back in October and discussed at great lengths here. So the search or feeling out process has also been In motion since October as well.

School is basically out of session until January 4, which is the official date Decker is giving up the position. It's also the date for the next school board meeting. Any coach would have to be approved by the school board. Unless they already have someone in mind , I'm not sure interviewing takes place over the holiday break. That puts the next logical date at the February school board meeting.

The current staff is also gone with Decker, so it's not likely it will be anyone there. I think the 'fork in the road' decision is whether they limit the search to just Ridley grads-which is what they have always done- or open it up to any outsiders.

Despite the fact that it just happened last night , the wheels for this were in motion back in October and discussed at great lengths here. So the search or feeling out process has also been In motion since October as well.

School is basically out of session until January 4, which is the official date Decker is giving up the position. It's also the date for the next school board meeting. Any coach would have to be approved by the school board. Unless they already have someone in mind , I'm not sure interviewing takes place over the holiday break. That puts the next logical date at the February school board meeting.
Speed;
Does your school board ever have emergency sessions?

Im not going to sugar coat this one bit. This is the best thing to happen to Ridley Football. Deckers so called "Resigning" only screws 2 people over. Coach Bell and Coach Bonner worked there asses off, were at every practice, kept this team together when everything else was falling apart, and pretty much were HC the last few years. If Coach Bell or Coach Bonner arent either a part of, or HC (Bell) of the next regime, they are doing Ridley a disservice. Both Ridley guys, both worked tirelessly with there positions over the last few years, and are disguisted with how this team was run the last few years. Vo's not coming, he just got AP AD job, and Ridley would have to blow him away with an offer, which probably wont happen. Coach Bell knows whats wrong with this program, and he has a plan to fix it.

Championship weekend and you guys are talking ridley. Does it matter? If they stay 6A + playing in the weak central League they will continue to be nothing..

Heard the same thing coach bell does a great job of creating the defensive game plan and countless hours of breaking down film. Bonner is a great oline technician and spends a lot of time in the off season working with his boys and has developed 2 college lineman and one being pursed right now by multiple colleges who was a 2x time all league and 2 nd team all delco and heard he has an offer from coatesville to become their new oline coach

Thought this was a free country and you could talk about anything. Who cares to talk about the 4A title game when u can watch it. What else could be said for teams not even in this area. People just love Ridley!

Championship weekend and you guys are talking ridley. Does it matter? If they stay 6A + playing in the weak central League they will continue to be nothing..
Little jealous of the legacy aren't you shoe?

Little jealous of the legacy aren't you shoe?

What legacy? Made state finals once in 25 years. Never won anything of importance. Did nothing but beat up on the fish of the central league, some legacy.! Can't find their way out of Delaware county.

BINGO. Whenever Ridley is on here, there is educated banter. You can talk all you want about all those teams that can recruit, im not interested. That makes it easy. Weak Central League maybe. 3 of 16 finalists in 4A state playoffs and more in 3A playoffs. Say what u want, but only one league on this side of the state that sent more finalists to the playoffs.

Did shoe not read Kane's summary of playoffs from 2006-2015. I believe these stats , games are outside of central league.

I think most unbiased followers of high school football in the area would consider Ridley to be a top program. When any of those top programs lose a head coach you can expect a decent amount od dialogue on the topic.

I think back to last year at this time when we were also talking about the jobs at lasalle and neshaminy -2 other top programs.

Coach Bell is a good man and a good x/o guy as well Not sure he is head coach material though. He has limited success as a head coach at Springfield and SunValley. And he has twice interviewed for the head job at Ridley and been turned down both times. Even though there is a new administration and new AD at the high school , it's still the same old school board.

If they do decide to go old school, I think Bell has a spot on that staff. Not sure if they bring in an outsider. Right or wrong, the current staff is tainted by the work ( or lack thereof) of the head coach.

Hey Speed, I dont think Coach Bell was ever coach at Sun Valley. I cant find any stats that say he coached there. If he did, i cant find it

Mr Bell was never HC at Sun Valley, and he only interviewed once at Ridley. He was, and still is, way more qualified than the guy they hired instead of him at Ridley. Oh yeah, its the same guy who just got fir..., i mean resigned there....

Guys, please don't feed the troll. Shoe is just a jealous, bitter, old hater who has literally never posted anything positive about anything on this board. I take pity on him during this holiday season, as his world must be a cold, gray existence.

Coverandmove is right, this board is the definition of a free market. See a post about something you don't like? Don't read it. Want to talk about something? Post about it. There's a reason threads about Prep-LaSalle, PCL and Ridley get views and posts; because there's posters on this board who care about that stuff. Supply and demand.

PS - Makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy to know that this thread irks Shoe so much.
Kane, out.

So who are the candidates?

Let's assume they look in and out of the family wether thats true or not.

The home growns:
Vosheski
Bell
Waller
Who else?

Old rumors
Steve Lennox has been mentioned before,
Joe Valerio was mentioned last time around

Asst at successful delco programs?
Academy Park : besides VO they have his brother on staff I believe who was a raider. Anyone else there? Track record winning last 5 years is undeniable

Haverford : good staff, just lost their top asst to Harriton a year or two ago so don't know if they have anyone that would move

GV : quite a few good coaches including some former HCs They have had a ton of success against Ridley since entering the league

Springfield: has had some impressive success last few years as a smaller school

Interboro: hasn't had the success they did for so long. Think that staff has had a lot of turnover but is there anyone?

Outside the county
Pat Clark
An asst at a downingtown/coatesville
Anyone in suburban one?

Have at it

Guys, please don't feed the troll. Shoe is just a jealous, bitter, old hater who has literally never posted anything positive about anything on this board. I take pity on him during this holiday season, as his world must be a cold, gray existence.

Coverandmove is right, this board is the definition of a free market. See a post about something you don't like? Don't read it. Want to talk about something? Post about it. There's a reason threads about Prep-LaSalle, PCL and Ridley get views and posts; because there's posters on this board who care about that stuff. Supply and demand.

PS - Makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy to know that this thread irks Shoe so much.
Kane, out.

Not true, I am Positive. Positive Ridley will never go to Hershey other then a spectator.

Cmon Shoe, youve got bitten by Ridley somewhere in your life, and now your bitter and nasty because you got lit somewhere along the way. Let me guess who your favorite team is this yr.... Hmmmmm, Pittsburgh CC or Imhotep Charter??? Your mad because something this lil to you has over 30 responses, and your the only negative nancy... How about some more brilliant insight to go with your elegant banter chief???

Not sure if they would go in this direction , but there has been a consistent rumor of putting the old boys back together. That staff would consist of Waller , Batty , Thompson , Bowden and Bell And would coach circles around the most recent staff. Walller and Batty are in their late 60's, so not sure either of them would be head coaches. But the others are in their 40's and could conceivably put another solid 10-15 years in.

You are right , Bell was never a head coach at Sun Valley , but he did coach there a while and was passed over as a head coach in favor of Posenti years ago. I seem to recall he was either offered the job then had it taken away or that there was some sort of grievance with the union. But he was defensive coordinator there with not much success.

Free- are you going to change your screename now ?

Speed, that would be an impressive staff and would most certainly get the most out of the kids, but as much as the blame falls on the coaches for the debacle that was Ridley football this year, has the talent pool dried up in Ridley? Again, I'm an outsider but things are cyclical and sometimes the talent stops. I know the youth programs and middle school programs have been commented on in past posts and none of them seem to be dominant. I watched Ridley play several times this year and outside of a few players there wasn't much to see. I saw a few games where others teams skill players were far and away the better players on the field. When was the last time Ridley had the 3/4th best qb in the central league, the 3/4th best rb, and not much on the outside? Also, GV and UD line dominated Ridleys. And if you want to count stoga. I'm not bashing anyone, just trying to keep the discussion going for shoe.

Well, whoever takes over would be responsible for the entire program , not just the high school team. And the program would extend from the myriad of youth programs , through middle school right up to high school. There cetainly is a perception that the talent level has dropped. I cannot recall the last time Ridley did not have a first team All Delco. But I also firmly believe that Ridley was never the most talented team in the league, they just got the kids to play harder and out executed the more talented teams. Part of that is the expectation that they would win after years of winning from youth ball on up. The other was the fear other teams had of Ridley. Not sure the fear factor is there anymore. I may be looking at it through green colored glasses , but I think with that old staff in place , they beat both Haverford and Upper Darby and still lose to GValley ( not a good matchup for Ridley). Stoga- who knows. They blew out Ridley in a game Ridley clearly quit after being knocked out of the playoff chase the week before. So that said , giving an L to Stoga , they go 8-2 and make the playoffs. Not sure they do anything in the playoffs , but at least they would be relevant again.

Hey Speed, i just might have too, but it worked, lol. Im gonna change it to BELL2016 and see if that works. I also know that Chris Bell led a vicious D that year at SV to within 1 game of a state playoff berth. That never happened before, or after he left, and have been consistent cellar dwellars ever since. Look at the pattern. Hes definitely HC material, hes actually been one behind the scenes the last few years. He probably wont even apply, but he deserves a shot...

If an outsider were to apply, would the Ridley administration be able to offer them a teaching position
? Would make the job more attractive and open up the door for more candidates.

I am not sure if the job comes with a teaching position( I am not sure they will even post the job). But for the last 2 hirings (Waller & Decker) jobs in the school were made available to them as part of the incentive to take the coaching job. I also hope the administration understands that no top tier coach anywhere actually teaches a full schedule. You cannot expect to attract top coaching talent ( either in house or outside) if you are going to ask them to teach 7hours a day and then coach. It does not work that way now.

To the Ridley faithful on the board. I have heard they actually asked Waller about interest in coming back a month or so ago, and he said no. Not sure how true just a rumor.

But, aside from Vosheski who I think who be a great hire, do you think the admin would be doing a disservice to the program by only limiting the candidates to alums? Its one thing if you have an alum like Vosheski who is also qualified to be the coach. It is another to limit your search to only alumni, when like a previous poster wrote, there are a ton of non-ridley alums out there who are great coaches. Making the first criteria that you had to go to high school at Ridley drastically decreases your prospective coaching pool.

Not to kick a guy when he is down, but one could argue that the outgoing head coach wasn't the most qualified of the candidates when he got the job (from a coaching standpoint), and that his best attribute was that he was a hall of fame QB there. He was a coordinator for a few yers and have a little success, but nothing overwhelming. Because you were a great player doesn't always make you a great coach.

Thoughts on opening the job applicants up to "outsiders"?

Just to piss in shoe's Cheerios I may keep this thread at the top of the boards for the entire off season; we're going for triple digit posts!

I could see Waller and Batty coming back for a couple seasons just to get the program back on track, and then passing off again to a younger candidate. But that is all purely conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT