ADVERTISEMENT

Decker to step down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to piss in shoe's Cheerios I may keep this thread at the top of the boards for the entire off season; we're going for triple digit posts!

I could see Waller and Batty coming back for a couple seasons just to get the program back on track, and then passing off again to a younger candidate. But that is all purely conjecture.

Maybe Shoe can reach out to Brett and Drew Gordon on their availability. 2009 is still hurting.

I don't see waller coming back as a full head coach. theres a reason he retired in the first place. But ithink he would love to step in as QB coach, weight room monitor etc.

As for the Ridley v non Ridley issue, I personally see nothing wrong with opening it up to all comers. Maybe someone with no Ridley ties just blows you away in an interview. But you have a Ridley grad as the new AD plus all influential members of the school board being Ridley grads as well and that's always been the way they've done business.

As for Ridley grads, you could do worse than this pool of potential applicants: Waller, Thompson, Bell, Bowden, Vosheski, Vasso, Valerio, Pidgeon, Signor, Randolph, Clark( St James grad-=but grew up in Ridley)

Maybe Shoe can reach out to Brett and Drew Gordon on their availability. 2009 is still hurting.
Is shoe friends with the Gordons? Are either one of them looking for a job, didn't one just start at Imhotep? I am not in the camp that the hire HAS to be a Ridley alumn, so if one of them were to apply I would definitely consider them for the position.

Not gonna comment how attractive the Ridley job is or not outside of Delco but it seems it would be a great job for someone like the Springfield or Haverford coaches who have put pretty good products on the field the last several years plus they are familiar with the Central League.

Not sure I would call it an "attractive job" to an outsider. let me explain.

Look, its great tradition and you get "football" kids and its a football school. But those that aren't "in the know" see a coach who won 50 more games than he lost basically get fired. Now, I am not saying it wasn't justified at this point, because I, along with some others who post on here, understand that the reason for the "resignation" has less to do with wins and losses and more to do with the type of product that was put on the field and the personal issues of the head coach bleeding into the running of the program. But the expectations are extremely high at Ridley, and the recent results, while not helped by the level of coaching the players were receiving, may become more of the norm then the 9-1 days of years past.

On the surface, yes, very attractive job to a Delco assistant or former head coach. But, you have to wonder if the expectation level is such that the coach will need to annually be in the running for the district title or be afraid he will lose his job. As many Ridley backers have posted, things aren't the way they used to be where Ridley is a 1 loss school every year any more, due to the erosion of talent in that area as well as other local programs catching up.

Will 7-3 be good enough at Ridley?

People keep bringing up assistants from Haverford, Springfield, Garnet. Are there any names of assistants who would be qualified? I know that Garnet has a former HC on the staff and their OC is good, but the rumor was that the OC is next in line when Ricci steps down.

As for Ridley grads, you could do worse than this pool of potential applicants: Waller, Thompson, Bell, Bowden, Vosheski, Vasso, Valerio, Pidgeon, Signor, Randolph, Clark( St James grad-=but grew up in Ridley)

Speed, with all due respect, I think you may be making my point. Aside from Vosheski, and taking out Waller, what has that list of names done at the Varsity level that makes you think they would be good head coaches and the right fit, other than the fact they are Ridley guys?

Valerio took a step back this year because of family time, and was an above average OLine coach. Thompson has been passed over twice for the job for some reason due to personality issues; Vasso is working on his pro career and truthfully I have no clue what kind of coach he is. Pidgeon is the OC at perennial doormat LM. We all know Randolph's history and issues he has had at previous stops; not sure we want to invite that back in. Bell was a head coach for Springfield and they were a doormat, he left, and Dan Ellis helped them become a playoff team a few year later. But at least he has HC on his resume.

Again, not to single guys out, but none of those names, aside from the ones I said to throw out, have done anything at the high school level to warrant serious consideration for the job.

I think Ridley would be better served looking for the "right guy" and not 'the most qualified Ridley guy". Again, I have no horse in the race here.

If they can get him, Vosheski addresses both the alum and the qualified part....but he was recently named AD at AP, so they would have to back up the brinks truck to get him.

To SHfoot, If you are referring to Clancy at Haven, how do you figure? District Champs in 2010, District runner ups in 2011 and playoff team in 2012. Lost Qb to injury in 2013 which hurt bad and then 2014 best player was out of multiple winnable games with academic issues. This year, the talent was just down and they were competitive in most games. Who has a better record then him in the playoffs? Who has ever won a state championship in delco but him? Who is a more decent guy who teaches kids about respecting their opponents with no showing off when they win and no pouting when they lose?

Must be a personal axe to grind because the majority of the coaches on staff are the same ones that have been there from the start of their run to the recent struggles.

GV has two former head coaches on staff, Scott Green and Paul Graham. Green at Kennett, Graham at Penncrest. Have to say what GV is from a "program" perspective with participation numbers and overall big picture stuff would have to appeal.

Def:

Im with you that the job should be open to all candidates. Just not sure it will be. I was just listing the ridley guys who have coaching experience. Im not sure you are going to get a head coach from one school to take the head coach job at ridley unless its a sweetheart deal. Without a teaching job thrown in, why would anyone lave where they are head coach to go to ridley? I think the next guy will be an up& coming assistant with an offensive background in DELCO.

To SHfoot, If you are referring to Clancy at Haven, how do you figure? District Champs in 2010, District runner ups in 2011 and playoff team in 2012. Lost Qb to injury in 2013 which hurt bad and then 2014 best player was out of multiple winnable games with academic issues. This year, the talent was just down and they were competitive in most games. Who has a better record then him in the playoffs? Who has ever won a state championship in delco but him? Who is a more decent guy who teaches kids about respecting their opponents with no showing off when they win and no pouting when they lose?

Must be a personal axe to grind because the majority of the coaches on staff are the same ones that have been there from the start of their run to the recent struggles.
I was referring to "coaches in Delco" Like I said, Ridley gets it, some school districts don't. And you don't have to tell me what Clancy has done, I know it. No axe to grind.

Shoe, take a look in the dictionary for Legacy, synonyms = Green Raiders, Phil Marion and Joe McNicholas

Shoe has no idea about legacy, they dont teach that to the home schooled. His legacy is hes the only strap on this thread. Being a waterboy on a sideline of a flag game, and being able to read a paper dont make u an expert about Delco football...

Heres a rumor I have heard, and again, just a rumor. David Wood, most recently with U of Penn, and Widener. I know he has ties to the new AD at Ridley (thru Widener), and has made it known hes interested in coaching at the HS level. Stay tuned for more info as its whispered....

Heard the same rumor. Also heard he is the front runner for Bonner job. Solid lifelong delco football guy , but nothing in his past head coaching jobs jumps off the table for me.

David Wood won a couple titles at Widener I beleive won the MAC in 2007. Had one of the best Defenses in the country in D3. I think he is what Ridley needs! He is a great coach. Will see what happens i'm sure there will be alot of great coachs putting in for this job.

Dave Wood is a great coach! I am sure he would do well. Have known him for years. Being a former Delco guy who played Ridley back when they were RIDLEY...

Is this still the JOB that it was 20 - 30 years ago. Is the talent still there? Do they still have the tough, blue collar kids.. etc..

Speed, I don't understand you some times. I respect your opinion on Ridley football, but how can you make a statement that Ridley alums who literally have done nothing to prove they are any type of head coach material would be OK to hire, but a guy like Wood who was a head coach in college for 7 years with good success doesn't jump off the table?

I heard that Wood all but has the Bonner job if he wants it. But, with the Ridley job now open and it being a better job, Bonner may be out of luck. The Ridley job is a much much better gig than Bonner.

How much longer will Bonner be able to keep its doors open? Has to be a question candidates have to ask themselves?

Bonner is not a attractive job! I hear they always promise money and never come through with it. Plus you will always lose the better kids to Malvern, EA and the Prep.I think the Ridley job is a good one. They always have tough ass kids that fight. They are never big but always physical.

DEF:
Sorry but as I get older in life more people seem to not understand me. But if you look back through this thread, I NEVER said they should only consider Ridley alums. I clearly think they should open it up to all comers and Im not advocating that any Ridley guy would be a better hire than anyone else. I was merely listing the Ridley guys who would have interest in the job should the administration choose to stay "Ridley only". I just have a gut feeling that they will not go outside and make a hire. Doesn't mean Im condoning that approach.

As for Wood, I too heard he has the Bonner job if he wants it, and Im sure he knows his football. But his head coaching stint at Widener was essentially one year where he won the MAC and 6 years of mediocre 6-4 seasons-which is pretty much what they just got rid of.

Apples and Oranges..

Now way compare college coaching v high school. Especially at Widener.. Not exactly a powerhouse small college program. Very average.
His college background shows he has the organization, understanding, structure, discipline to run a high school football team efficiently.

Coach previous to Wood went 54-14

Coach after Wood went 25-8, (20-3 after a .500 first year)

Wood went 41-32

I wouldn't mind seeing a college coach step in. I'm sure he would bring a level of organization and structure that didn't exist under the previous regime. I'll also confirm that I've heard the rumor about Waller coming back for a few seasons to right the ship then passing off to a younger coach. Hopefully they make the right choice this time.

I hear rumors of waller going to Springfield and being the OC! Not sure how true but herd it from a few people.

I would think if Waller would come back to coach and Ridley has an opening it would be at Ridley and not Springfield. With that said, Springfield needs to hire an OC. We have a lot off speculation for the Ridley job, any speculation on the Springfield OC? Bernhardt from bonner is still out there or do they hire within?

is the Springfield OC job officially open, or is this one for the rumor mill?

That said, I had heard they may be talking to Thompson about a position on the staff, but I always dismissed it because I didnt think he would go there to be a position coach. But if the OC job is open, that would definitely interest him I would think. Plus, Al Humes, a Ridley grad, was on Springfields staff last year. Him and Thompson would definitely help improve an offense.

Can someone 100%, non rumor confirm that the OC spot is open?

I haven't heard anything BUT rumors at this point. I wonder if they will let this coaching search drag on into spring like they did with the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT