ADVERTISEMENT

Aragorn

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Before Shahahan joined the former Southern Chester County League (now it's the Chesmont American basically)) in the early 70s were we in a Suburban Catholic with you Lansdale Catholic and St. Pius of Pottstown among others in 60s and real early 70s?

Chestmont League1- I remember going to LC games as a little kid in the late 60s and early 70s...that was a great all Suburban Catholic League for basketball, including Holy Ghost, Archbishop Kennedy, Bishop Shanahan, St. Pius, Holy Name, and Reading Central Catholic. Every game was a war! Good memories.

Good stuff. Thanks. Wondering out loud if someday PIAA creates a separate Private School classification Shanahan (and Pope John Paul 2) may be forced to join the PCL. I really like the Chesmont but I would be ok if Shanahan went to the Catholic League. We'd have to start sports recruiting which they don't do now.

Paul Meyers spoke to the Marsh Creek Eagles upper weight team about the benefits of coming to Shanahan....and that may be classified as recruiting.

So Paul Meyers showed up to Marsh Creek uninvited and started talking Shanahan football? I think we are missing the full story? Can you please explain it in detail? You know while we are talking Downingtown West - Shanahan football what did you think about Downingtown (specifically the West old timers) denying Shanahan's plea to have the upper Moreland playoff game at Kotmeyer? First 4 o'clock then 7 pm were both denied by the school. Have to admit the Coatesville and Great Valkey folks were very welcoming. Go ahead and check w your folks.

This post was edited on 2/1 3:47 PM by ChesmontLeague1

This post was edited on 2/1 5:48 PM by ChesmontLeague1

Easy my man....you said Shanahan doesn't recruit....I don't know if he was invited or not, I said he talked with those kids about coming to Shanahan...that's it, plain and simple, just a fact.

And we weren't talking Downingtown West, you brought that up, but I'll tell you what I know is true. As far as using Kottmyer for that playoff game, there was another function at West that day which would've made parking an issue. And of course Great Valley was going to be accomodating, they were going to play the winner of that playoff game, so why not host it so your coaches don't have to travel to scout it...

And it sounds like you've got an axe to grind with Downingtown or West in general (and i'm not sure what old timers you're talking about, the admin at West is all new)....and we're getting off base here, but just so you have accurate info about the public schools accomodating the privates........I can tell you this, I constantly see St. Joe's athletic teams using the outdoor fields at DMS and West in the spring and fall on weekdays and weekends. Again, I'm just stating facts not opinions.

DYW - You accused Shanahan of recruiting. Sounds like all you know is Meyers stood up infront of Marsh Creek football and making accusations before knowing facts. My kids attend Dtown West. As you know we are the good neighbor community but if you ask Shanahan and they don't feel very welcomed by west. I can't speak for saint joes but you rent those fields out to lacrosse and soccer travel teams so you can't deny St joes otherwise they'd sue the hell out of the district. If you want to do some good why don't you help the student body and administration reach out to your town neighbors as they are there to stay. Btw - please tel the board of that event the night of the playoff conflict. What school group?

That stadium is owned by the school district, not by West alone. So your underlying issues with West and the fact that they didn't accomodate your alma mater (i'm guessing) need to directed toward the administration of the school district and facilities staff.
What does it matter which school group had a function that night? And boo hoo if they don't feel welcome. I'm pretty sure that no one on this board cares, or even cares about this misguided topic.
I simply pointed out that Shanahan's head coach spoke to a group of prospective student/athletes...fact. And it ticked you off for some reason.

"If you want to do some good why don't you help the student body and administration reach out to your town neighbors as they are there to stay." I have no idea what this statement means. I don't work for the school, and have no input in what those kids do for public service. But I am one of the "town neighbors" as you call us.

You insinuated recruiting. Back it up w fact. There's a little more to the rental and you know it. Yes. I don't like the way Dtown West community acts towards Shanahan.

He went to a game that featured local 8th grade football players and spoke to them afterward, like I said a few times already, that is fact. Connecting the dots shouldn't be this hard.

I guess the DEast community acts differently?

So you added 1 sentence from your last 10 posts. I'm skeptical and would like the full story before accusing of recruiting. I don't find the DTE people to be so narrow minded and same old guard as the townies. They have a good mix that have moved into the district over the last 10-20 years. west includes many of the dtown graduate kids and yes same old culture thAt many of us in the old Chesmont did not care for. If you attended the Cville boys game you'd understand. I have some w me from other former Chesmont schools.

I'm not sure what else is needed to add to the story. And I don't have any other info than what I've posted. Just ask Meyers what he said to the kids the next time you see him.

The only reason that I said anything in the first place is that it bothers me when inaccuracies are posted, and claimed as truth. How do you know that they don't recruit? Are you on their staff? Part of their administration? If the answers are no to the last two questions, then you don't know, so don't say that they don't recruit.
They would be stupid not to recruit. They are the only Ches-mont team that can recruit.

I don't understand anything that you are talking about regarding townies, old guard, many of us in the old chesmont that don't care for West, and I guess something you saw at the cville boys game which I guess means student section behavior. Maybe you're just upset that they neighborhood surrounding Shanahan has fought them on every facility upgrade that they've proposed. But just remember, that neighborhood is DEast territory....so much for not being narrow minded.

You obviously have the mind set that all Catholic schools recruit and recruit for sports. Now I won't waste my breath. #2 - Did it ever come to your mind that maybe Meyers was helping out or a coaching clinic? Did he offer kids these kids tuition money? So because Shanahan gets kids feeder Catholic school kids from all over here the county they are recruiting. I guess that senior basketball player (major contributor) and junior defensive player who (starter) who currently live in Coatesville arent recruits? I'm sure you'll come up w some excuse. My response is Kotmeyer has lights and has very many houses right there. I guess they should take there's down if Shanahan can't? Both Boro schools right? Fair is fair. Actually it was many of the West parents and Old Timers acting like douche bags at the Coatesville game. Students were ok.

I'll just throw this in; all Catholic schools "recruit". They recruit students; those interested in math, English, sciences and the arts. If they don' t "recruit" they have no student body. Whereas, your local public school is always guaranteed an incoming freshman class.

Private schools need to sell themselves; public schools do not!

Back to your joust!

Now you are on to something.....Meyers showed up at the game to tell the kids about the academic programs at Shanahan. Why didn't I realize that from the beginning?

Case closed.

Downingtown East and Downingtown West High School's are two of the best high schools in Chester County and I'd venture to say Top 30 or so in all of PA. You better be selling something besides academics if you are Shanahan.

Cheers,

Busch

Busch - hate to inform you brother but your a little off. No doubt Dtown has good schools but dtown east and west rank right in the middle of Chester county high schools for SAT scores. Check today's Daily Local News.

Stop your inaccurate posts. Until you can advise that scholarships were offered and the nature of the visit you are spreading rumor. It's a shame people like you harp on the Catholic schools for winning and providing a great education instead of making your own football team or school better. Post facts my man... Not speculation.

Fact....Downingtown STEM Academy (which is a combo of East and West students) was 4th in the STATE....not county.... for SAT scores. Check the beginning of the same article you referenced.

Speculation.....I would say that it's pretty respectable that DEast and
DWest are still ranked in the middle of the county for SAT scores, with most of their top students at STEM.

Easy down there cowboy. Nobody said they were bad Per the numbers Stem is tops and east and west are in the middle. Again per the numbers east and west are in the middle. If you want a top school you go to stem cones toga or Unionville. The rest are pretty close

The Catholic Church and morality...jeeze man you're sitting on top of the pole now.

Way more to an education than SAT scores, if that's your only angle that's pathetic.

East: http://paschoolperformance.org/Profile/6517

West: http://paschoolperformance.org/Profile/6518

Why waste the money on Shanahan?

Cheers,

Busch

So you categorizing Shanahan and indicating they are part of the Catholic church issues. You are sure narrow minded and obviously uneducated about academic offers. Besides being a top notch academic institution offering a wide variety of AP classes plus add in the religious, Christian values, community service and the great family atmosphere that Shanahan offers over those two schools. Yeah.... I'd say Shanahan has those two beat pretty good as a well rounded school.
This post was edited on 2/3 7:17 PM by ChesmontLeague1

Chest : I have no horse in this race, but domyou be,Lieve it's only recruiting if scholarships are offered ? If a coach , teacher , band director , etc reaches out to a prospective student and tries to sell his school in order to get said student to enrol , thatv is recruiting

Let me ask you a question? What about kids attending Ridley school district with a Chester address and they play a sport? Is that recruiting? What about two kids in Downingtown West (football starter and basketball top contributor) who live in Coatesville? The funny thing is that this has happen other times and I doubt the Dtown folks see it as an issue. Remember the twins that played basketball a few years back at Coatesville and ended up at Dowingtown. BTW - they sucked at Cville but were good enough to start at West. Yeah... they would be recruits. Just as if a scholarship is offered and the kid is already attending another high school or say if he moves from one Public School district to another and happens to be a pretty good sport player. (basketball, football, etc) Scholarships, transfers (that term is only used in Public schools otherwise if a private school .. its a recruit)
This post was edited on 2/3 7:26 PM by ChesmontLeague1

I made no distinction between public/ private . Any kid who is solicited to attend a certain school is recruited, regardless of scholarships/public/private , etc. there are thousands of kids playing college at a division III level paying their own tuition to attend school , yet they were recruited to the school.

Let me ask you. Especially Delco with the heavy Catholic population. So if a kid attends St Madelines or OLP in Ridley, Holy Cross in Springfield all his/her life then makes transition over to O'Hara is that recruiting?
This post was edited on 2/3 8:23 PM by ChesmontLeague1

"Top notch academic institution", I guess DSD is chop liver. This is laughable.

I'm sure DSD has no community involvement, jeeze man. I'm narrow minded? I believe you were looking for the word "options", not offers. You got your head so far up the good ole bishops rear end you're coming out with pink eye.

Best of luck with your lights, field, and those rigorous theology courses.

Cheers,

Busch

Ches1...you talk about kids playing sports for West that live in Cville, and that may be true, but they were only "recruits", as you call them, if a coach/teacher/admin recruited them to go to West. Do you have proof of that? I highly doubt it. Especially if these kids "sucked" as you say, which is a terrible description of a high school athlete by the way.

And the train from dtown to cville rolls both ways my man. Example, the kid that started at QB for Cville in the game against West (when Jordan Young was injured), he played for West as a freshman, "transferred" to Cville for soph and jr years, then came back and played for West last year as a senior. He never moved his dtown boro residence, just changed his address. This kid was not a star by any stretch, so I highly doubt that any contact was made by Cville or West to recruit the kid.

It's very clear that you have strong anti-West opinions, but have very sketchy facts to back them up other than some old townies and west bball parents acting inappropriately, in your opinion, at a game. I was at that game, and can remember more than a handful of the cville faithful loudly berating the officials during a timeout. Your hatred of West is blinding you from seeing both sides of the story.

Chest:

Under your scenario, that is not recruiting. But if Hogan, the new coacch at Ohara goes to an OLP practice( or even Decker from Ridley) and gives a speech to the kids where he is essentiallly selling his program, then i would call that recruiting. I do not think recruiting is a dirty word-most schools do it-and all private schools do it or they would be out of business.

I knew I'd dig the anti Catholicism out of ya! Your problem not mine. Proving my point further check where our top notch player is going Princeton. I'm seeing my public school kids in my district hit prep school. Go ahead and check the recruits. On top of that check out PA Football News of academic honorees for the last 5-10 years. Yeah... Shanahan regulary places many of its top students on list who happen to play football for the Eagles. I'm not seeing the same for my public school. Just a fact. Stop your stupidity on hating for religious purposes and zero knowledge on Shanahan's fine academic atmosphere.

Of course.. only Catholic schools recruit. We've been through this before and debated. I know where you stand. You know where I stand.

You've accused Shanahan of recruiting and I'm saying that if they are recruiting so is Dtown West. I've provided examples. You've made it known your feelings on Catholic school and how you categorize recruiting.

You have provided zero examples of DWest recruiting. You said that twin brothers, 5 years ago and who were apparently marginal players, lived in Cville and played basketball for DWest. That is not an example of recruiting to 99.9% of the people on here, you're the other 0.01% that believes it is. Does Cville recruit then? How about DEast?
And lets be clear, I didn't accuse Shanahan of anything against the rules. Your original statement was that they don't recruit, and I said that their HC spoke to an 8th grade football team. You can categorize it anyway you want, but he wasn't there to sell girl scout cookies to them. Since his school has open boundaries, it's within the rules. So why would you be upset? Because he hasn't recruited the best team in Chester County?

There isnt a public school in Chester County that doesn't place kids in the Ivy league.

Correct. #1 factor in children's educational success is the parent's education and income status.

Educated, financially successful parents build in college expectation and educational success since day 1 and are willing to work overnight and sacrifice their own time to work with their sons ad daughters to help them to achieve those goals.

#1 reason inner city school are "failing" is because unfortunately most of those kids have no one at home with college expectations and willing to push and work with their children at home.

This post was edited on 2/7 8:13 PM by AP1999

Baloney. It's an indicator of how well that school district is preparing their students for the rigors of college. If I'm a parent of a student athlete comparing a school w medium sat scores vs a school where student athletes are exceeding the norm I want my kid pushed. I do agree one main ingredient is it starts at home. I love that the public teachers are chiming in. We do have some good schools in the county.

You know more about education and academic results than most of the leaders in our country.

No doubt. I think we have some very good public school districts in Chester County. My personal opinion is only 2 are probably less desirable. To be honest I'm not sure if any of the other Phila area counties even have this good of a ratio. The point of this post started w recruiting then academics. My point was a response to another who indicated Shanahan was a waste of money. I pointed to the number of honors athletes Shanahan has on its football team every year. As a whole I think they provide a stronger less distracting learning environment than our public schools. Again... The public schools are good but they can't replicate what Shanahan offers. Shanahan is one of the strongest academic Catholic schools in Phila.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT