ADVERTISEMENT

Aliquippa forced up again? PIAA wrong or right?

This isn’t subjective; it’s not a “shot” at Aliquippa. There is a clear criteria in place and they’ve met it. If you want to disagree with the rule, go for it. But, I see so many assuming the PIAA is “targeting” Aliquippa. That’s not the case.

I will say I find it somewhat ironic that the coach complained about player safety last cycle when being forced up to 4A. Well, they went to two straight state championships and won one of them.

Reactions: bucksftball
I hate the lack of transparency from the PIAA. Obviously they have a report in their hands listing all the transfer numbers from around the state. Just post it. You don't need names, just how many to each PIAA school. Obviously they feel that Aliquippa again has 3+ transfers. I would be okay with a "cap" on being forced up - no more than 2 classifications? 3?

So I believe the PIAA considers all new names to a JV/Varsity roster as a transfer until the school proves otherwise via transcripts. For example, when North Penn has 30 new sophs on their JV/Varsity roster, PIAA will say they have 30 transfers until the school provides transcripts proving they were in one of the NP middle schools.

Supposedly the PIAA has told the Quips that they have 23 transfers.

So I believe the PIAA considers all new names to a JV/Varsity roster as a transfer until the school proves otherwise via transcripts. For example, when North Penn has 30 new sophs on their JV/Varsity roster, PIAA will say they have 30 transfers until the school provides transcripts proving they were in one of the NP middle schools.
Which is probably the easiest way for them to do it, but when they get the transcripts and know the final numbers, just publish them. It just opens up the PIAA for more criticism and schools can claim that they are being targeted. It should be pretty clear if Aliquippa is getting in new players. Certainly the HC knows exactly who on his team is a transfer. I did a quick look at their "official" roster. 56 players rostered, 10 of them are freshmen.

This is the baffling line:
"...but Warfield said the PIAA also informed the school that it was over the threshold for transfers. However, Warfield said he thought some transfers listed by the PIAA shouldn’t be counted in terms of competitive balance."

Reactions: HSFB99
This isn’t subjective; it’s not a “shot” at Aliquippa. There is a clear criteria in place and they’ve met it. If you want to disagree with the rule, go for it. But, I see so many assuming the PIAA is “targeting” Aliquippa. That’s not the case.

I will say I find it somewhat ironic that the coach complained about player safety last cycle when being forced up to 4A. Well, they went to two straight state championships and won one of them.
They are a single A school forced to play 5A. Every kid plays both ways all season. They will have 30 kids on their sidelines playing against 80+ kids. So f$#k these kids safety right?

I hate the lack of transparency from the PIAA. Obviously they have a report in their hands listing all the transfer numbers from around the state. Just post it. You don't need names, just how many to each PIAA school. Obviously they feel that Aliquippa again has 3+ transfers. I would be okay with a "cap" on being forced up - no more than 2 classifications? 3?
expand...They are a single A school forced to play 5A. Every kid plays both ways all season. They will have 30 kids on their sidelines playing against 80+ kids. So f$#k these kids safety right?

expand...They are a single A school forced to play 5A. Every kid plays both ways all season. They will have 30 kids on their sidelines playing against 80+ kids. So f$#k these kids safety right?
Well in the next cycle they are a 2A school, with a jump in enrollment of 32% in the past two years. But again, what I don't get is how this isn't more transparent. How can the PIAA be at 23 transfers and Aliquippa say it's 2? I do think a "cap" from the original classification so you never move up more than say 2 jumps from what your student population dictates would be fair. In this case that would leave them at 4A, 2A plus 2.

boo hoo cheaters are being punished

player safety LOL they have more college level players and that humongous line, and you guys are worried about player safety for other teams just because they have higher enrollment

quips don't like being moved up? here's an idea STOP CHEATING

now you know why they have been in the title game every year since 2008, they cheat it wasn't "something in the water" or any other silly made up reason the fanboys or idiots thought

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Aliquippa had a published roster this year with 55 players on it. They dressed 40+ players in every playoff game this year. In the state title game they started 6 players on both sides of the ball, this is actually not unusual even in 5A.

Aliquippa would do just fine in 5A, a title contender every year for sure. The difference between 4A and 5A is highly exaggerated. Here is a list of wins by 4A teams this year over 5A:

McKeesport beat Penn-Trafford (5A) and Gateway (5A), both were 5A playoff teams.
Thomas Jefferson beat Baldwin (5A) and Franklin Regional (5A). Franklin was a 5A playoff team.
Latrobe beat Hempfield (5A) and Butler (6A).
Montour beat Moon (5A), a 5A semifinalist.

Aliquippa beat McKeesport, Latrobe and Montour this year. They will be fine if they have to play in 5A.

Reactions: bucksftball
Aliquippa had a published roster this year with 55 players on it. They dressed 40+ players in every playoff game this year. In the state title game they started 6 players on both sides of the ball, this is actually not unusual even in 5A.

Aliquippa would do just fine in 5A, a title contender every year for sure. The difference between 4A and 5A is highly exaggerated. Here is a list of wins by 4A teams this year over 5A:

McKeesport beat Penn-Trafford (5A) and Gateway (5A), both were 5A playoff teams.
Thomas Jefferson beat Baldwin (5A) and Franklin Regional (5A). Franklin was a 5A playoff team.

Aliquippa beat McKeesport, Latrobe and Montour this year. They will be fine if they have to play in 5A.
Harrisburg played in the state 6A final last year with what I believe was the smallest roster of any of the 12 finalists.

yes, Quips will "be fine." But the whole scenario... i really do not know if it's wrong or right- but it's bizarre imo

This is just another thing for Quip fans to complain about. Great program and kids but their fans are sometimes unbearable on social media.

Reactions: JACKY6996
yes, Quips will "be fine." But the whole scenario... i really do not know if it's wrong or right- but it's bizarre imo
I find it very hard to believe they had 23 transfers as it appears the PIAA claims. Keep in mind that transfers before high school are OK, this is directly from the rule:

A school’s Team may receive transfer students without affecting their classification if the student enters their new school during the traditional natural break (8th grade to 9th grade)

I don't recall hearing about a single transfer to Aliquippa, certainly none of their top talent.

Ha, spoke too soon. Just saw that Central Valley's Joseph Work announced a transfer to Aliquippa today. One of the top 2026 LB's in the state. Interesting.

There’s a ton a movement between beaver county schools, you’ll see kids go back and forth a lot. This was just announced today. There was a kid at PR last year who was from quip and ended up leaving back to beaver county and going to Central Valley. I don’t think alqiuppa is actively recruiting anyone, the school and area isn’t very great. I think 99% of the time is kids that originally grew up there or are legacy kids coming back. They’ve definitely had kids come back in high school though, which is counted as a transfer. I think more details need to be released on this and maybe let it play out a little bit, because it is bizarre they are counted as having 23 transfers. The Hayes kid was counted as one, and he has clearly lived in aliquippa his whole life. The Wpial board of directors meeting in September counted 3 transfers to the quips that month alone, one from ambridge, moon, and a school from Georgia. All on the football roster.

The rule needs to change, crazy to think a single A public school that dresses 30 kids who plays both ways all season can be moved up 4 classification. Then you have a school like St joes prep who recruits from multiple states with no consequences.

Somone needs to take out at joes prep. My money is now on Aliquippa. Let’s go quips

The rule needs to change, crazy to think a single A public school that dresses 30 kids who plays both ways all season can be moved up 4 classification. Then you have a school like St joes prep who recruits from multiple states with no consequences.
1. Aliquippa's enrollment would place them in 2A in the next cycle. Here is the link.
2. Aliquippa listed 55 players on their roster last year. Here is the link.
3. They dressed over 40 for each of their playoff games this year.
4. They started 6 on both sides of the ball in the state title game. This would not be unusual even in 5A. Many 5A teams start 5, 6 or even 7 both ways.
5. Aliquippa's roster lists 10 linemen over 230lbs. And have elite D1 talent at the skill positions. They aren't going to get killed in 5A. To the contrary, I expect them to easily make the playoffs and be a title contender.

And with the transfer of Joseph Work, it looks like they know they are heading to 6A in a few years and are going to make sure they have what it takes to be competitive.

Waynesburg Central doesn't seem to have a problem wrestling Canon Mac, NA, Franklin Regional, etc.. They wouldn't dare go down to AA and wrestle. Then again wrestlers are built a little different.

As a matter of fact I've never heard any AA schools worrying about "safety" when entering Powerade, Ironman, Beast of the East, etc...

Quips have it just the way they want it.

If they win, which they do, they are playing up and it’s obviously a “win” for everyone.

When they rarely lose, it’s because they are playing up, the refs or something else. So they never really lose, so it’s really a win.

If they move up too far, the excuses on losses will start to wear even thinner than they do now. The win is they can move down!

Waynesburg Central doesn't seem to have a problem wrestling Canon Mac, NA, Franklin Regional, etc.. They wouldn't dare go down to AA and wrestle. Then again wrestlers are built a little different.

As a matter of fact I've never heard any AA schools worrying about "safety" when entering Powerade, Ironman, Beast of the East, etc...
Wrong in 1987 Waynesburg went down to AA and beat the hell out of everyone.

Wrong in 1987 Waynesburg went down to AA and beat the hell out of everyone.
By beat the hell out of everyone, do you mean finished 34th at states (in 1988)?

Waynesburg and Bald Eagle Area are two programs that have elected up forever (BEA just recently started staying at 2A). Both proud programs with huge feeders that probably have way more wrestlers than most 3A schools.

But Waynesburg also has recently been one of the most transfer heavy programs in the state, certainly in the western part of the state. Rocco Welsh, Wyatt Henson, Joey Zimon, Zander Phaturos, I think one other of their studs (Church or Augustine?). I’d imagine they may get bumped up by the same rule anyway.

Ha, spoke too soon. Just saw that Central Valley's Joseph Work announced a transfer to Aliquippa today. One of the top 2026 LB's in the state. Interesting.
will that be their first white kid since Jon Ledonne in 2000?

hey i am all for consequences for SJP, but what can you do? move them to division 3 football?

i am sure plenty will disagree with me, but i think all transfers in middle school should count too

it can not be a coincidence Hopewell and Ambridge, who are both within walking distance from Aliquippa, always stink yet somehow tiny Aliquippa with a little more than 100 boys in the entire school are always some powerhouse dominating schools literally 10 times larger

if something seems to good to be true, it is

will that be their first white kid since Jon Ledonne in 2000?
QB Eli Kosanovich who walked on at Pitt in 2019. Was on the Pitt roster for 4 years, appeared in 1 game. Had a pretty good senior year at Aliquippa: 3,189 yards and 39 TD's. Won the WPIAL and PIAA in 2018.

But Waynesburg also has recently been one of the most transfer heavy programs in the state, certainly in the western part of the state. Rocco Welsh, Wyatt Henson, Joey Zimon, Zander Phaturos, I think one other of their studs (Church or Augustine?). I’d imagine they may get bumped up by the same rule anyway.
Rocco was a Beth Center kid but he was wrestling for Waynesburg in Junior High.

Luca is from Waynesburg.

Mac is from Waynesburg.

Henson and Phaturos were absolutely transfers. Simon transferred in 8th grade from LA.

The meat and potatoes of Waynesburg's program have been homegrown kids. Now they do have coop with Mapletown. I know that helps fill out a lineup but there haven't been many kids as of late minus Evans who have really done much from Mapletown.

Rocco was a Beth Center kid but he was wrestling for Waynesburg in Junior High.

Luca is from Waynesburg.

Mac is from Waynesburg.

Henson and Phaturos were absolutely transfers. Simon transferred in 8th grade from LA.

The meat and potatoes of Waynesburg's program have been homegrown kids. Now they do have coop with Mapletown. I know that helps fill out a lineup but there haven't been many kids as of late minus Evans who have really done much from Mapletown.
Thanks, for some reason I thought they had another high profile transfer. Simon and Phaturos both had some sort of connection to Sammy Henson, an I remembering that correctly? Similar to how those kids moved to Johnstown from random parts of the country (Florida, NC, Tennessee being the big ones) to train with the Bassetts and go to McCourt.

And no doubt Waynesburg has had incredible homegrown kids through most of its history - Coleman Scott, Drew Headlee, Josh Koscheck, all of those titles from the 40s and 50s. And it’s a shame that their peak team was during the COVID season, that group was an all-timer, even with a couple transfers thrown in.

Thanks, for some reason I thought they had another high profile transfer. Simon and Phaturos both had some sort of connection to Sammy Henson, an I remembering that correctly? Similar to how those kids moved to Johnstown from random parts of the country (Florida, NC, Tennessee being the big ones) to train with the Bassetts and go to McCourt.

And no doubt Waynesburg has had incredible homegrown kids through most of its history - Coleman Scott, Drew Headlee, Josh Koscheck, all of those titles from the 40s and 50s. And it’s a shame that their peak team was during the COVID season, that group was an all-timer, even with a couple transfers thrown in.
I coached Josh

By beat the hell out of everyone, do you mean finished 34th at states (in 1988)?

Waynesburg and Bald Eagle Area are two programs that have elected up forever (BEA just recently started staying at 2A). Both proud programs with huge feeders that probably have way more wrestlers than most 3A schools.

I do believe they won the WPIAL that year and it wasn’t close. The next best teams were West Allegheny and Jeff Morgan and I know they beat JM handily

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT