ADVERTISEMENT

3 Games that caught my eye...Sept. 15-16

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
Last week: 3-0
Overall: 4-2

Archbishop Wood (2-1) @ St. Joe’s Prep (2-0) (-6) at Widener University
This is the matchup of the season in SEPA so far as PCL Heavyweights go at it a week after proving PA’s strength with wins over North Jersey privates Bergen Catholic and St. Peter’s Prep. Prep comes in with #13 ranking in USA Today and look like an early favorite to repeat as 6A champs. Wood is the defending 5A champions and surely won’t be intimidated by the Prep. QB Marquez McCray has been a steady underrated leader for this team and is getting help from soph RB Kobe Burrell & a tenacious D that rarely gives ground. Wood is looking to grind and run right through you but has improved in the passing game with the development of QB Jake Colyar. I think this matchup of strength on strength will be fun to watch. I think this has the makings of a slugfest with the last team to have the ball getting the victory…..SJP 21-17

Coatesville (2-1) (-9) @ Downingtown West (2-1)
These two longtime rivals out of the Ches-Mont will begin league play in what will be a huge factor in determining the favorite right out of the gate. D-West surprised many last week by winning at Heartbreak Ridge and becoming the most difficult team to read in SEPA. Are they the team that got hammered by a good (but not great) Perk Valley team or should they be a sleeper given their road win at Neshaminy? Coatesville starts league play after showing some of their youth in a Wk 2 loss at Cumberland Valley. No shame in losing to the D3 power but they have to feel like they let one slip away after being up 14-0 at the half. RB Aaron Young got going last week with 187 yards and 5 TD’s. The Coatesville O is one of the toughest matchups in D1 with skill all over. West gave up some huge plays against Neshaminy & they seem to struggle on that side of the ball. My best guess is Coatesville is a little more explosive than D-West and they will have their way scoring on the Whippets….Coatesville 38-24

Marple Newtown (2-1) @ Ridley (1-2) (-2.5)
This is a big game for the Green Raiders as a loss this week could make it a tough task to get into the postseason with road games against Springfield (Delco) and Upper Darby still on the schedule. Marple Newtown is led by QB Anthony Paoletti,who is headed to the University of Delaware, but also has some great weapons in RB Marlon Weathers and WR Dash Dulgerian. HC Chris Gicking has come home and turned Marple into a legit 5A and Central League contender year in and year out. Ridley’s tradition of hard nosed D will be tested this week but I like Ridley to keep their postseason hopes alive….Ridley 27-24

Nice work not_a_fan.

Three other games I was looking at in the SOL:

Bensalem 3-0 at Abington 2-1, huge game for Bensalem. Abington has beat 2 awful teams. If the Owls can start 4-0 they will be in good shape for their first playoff appearance ever.

North Penn 1-2 at CB-West 3-0. The only question here is can someone in the Continental challenge the Knights? This isn't Pettine vs Pettine, but hoping for a close game.

CR-South 1-2 at Truman 3-0. I expect the Tigers to reach 4-0. Just split the last 6 and 7-3 will get you in the field of 16. Like Bensalem it would be their first playoff appearance too.

Nice work not_a_fan.

Three other games I was looking at in the SOL:

Bensalem 3-0 at Abington 2-1, huge game for Bensalem. Abington has beat 2 awful teams. If the Owls can start 4-0 they will be in good shape for their first playoff appearance ever.

North Penn 1-2 at CB-West 3-0. The only question here is can someone in the Continental challenge the Knights? This isn't Pettine vs Pettine, but hoping for a close game.

CR-South 1-2 at Truman 3-0. I expect the Tigers to reach 4-0. Just split the last 6 and 7-3 will get you in the field of 16. Like Bensalem it would be their first playoff appearance too.

Thanks Relayer. Could be interesting seeing some non-traditional SOL teams in the playoff mix this year. Truman has got people's attention with the coaching staff they've put together and will be a nightmare to play against with their speed and toughness.

Thanks Relayer. Could be interesting seeing some non-traditional SOL teams in the playoff mix this year. Truman has got people's attention with the coaching staff they've put together and will be a nightmare to play against with their speed and toughness.

Good stuff not_a_fan! Enjoyed it....
St. Joseph’s Prep-Archbishop Wood:
Hard getting a fix on Wood-SJP (how they stack up nationally) with Wood’s win against Bergen Catholic, who then crushed DePaul who crushed Paramus who crushed Wood? Linkage games are fun but far from reliable! But you’ll know more after BC plays Mater Dei at Mission Viejo this weekend. I see Hawk’s D and Qb as the edge. But unlike last few, I think this one is real close.

Coatesville-Downingtown West:
Physically it’s all Coatesville but you have to like West’s emotion coming off competitive wins for good momentum plus the emotional surge of a home opener, often a dicey situation for the visitor. Still, the 38-0 wipeout to Perk Val is a mystery (major rebuild!) unless you switch last year’s PV team with this year’s. And, what do we really know about Neshaminy in a serious rebuild at critical positions? Coatesville should come out on top but may have to go through hell to get there, rolling it out in the 4th quarter to cover.

Marple Newtown-Ridley:
Marple has an exciting Qb but haven’t played anyone, losing to Florida HS (FSU-Tallahassee) who is a so-so AAA program. No diss to Tigers. Judge, Haverford and G-Val give Ridley a major schedule advantage against quality and the small line suits their style. Can’t get behind!

Good stuff not_a_fan! Enjoyed it....
St. Joseph’s Prep-Archbishop Wood:
Hard getting a fix on Wood-SJP (how they stack up nationally) with Wood’s win against Bergen Catholic, who then crushed DePaul who crushed Paramus who crushed Wood? Linkage games are fun but far from reliable! But you’ll know more after BC plays Mater Dei at Mission Viejo this weekend. I see Hawk’s D and Qb as the edge. But unlike last few, I think this one is real close.

Coatesville-Downingtown West:
Physically it’s all Coatesville but you have to like West’s emotion coming off competitive wins for good momentum plus the emotional surge of a home opener, often a dicey situation for the visitor. Still, the 38-0 wipeout to Perk Val is a mystery (major rebuild!) unless you switch last year’s PV team with this year’s. And, what do we really know about Neshaminy in a serious rebuild at critical positions? Coatesville should come out on top but may have to go through hell to get there, rolling it out in the 4th quarter to cover.

Marple Newtown-Ridley:
Marple has an exciting Qb but haven’t played anyone, losing to Florida HS (FSU-Tallahassee) who is a so-so AAA program. No diss to Tigers. Judge, Haverford and G-Val give Ridley a major schedule advantage against quality and the small line suits their style. Can’t get behind!

That means a lot coming from you Stalker! A true board legend.

That means a lot coming from you Stalker! A true board legend.

Way too generous not_a_fan but thank you. It’s nice seeing so many guys posting to give us a clearer view/opinion of the entire state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT