ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Title games

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
Clairton as impressive as always. Should be favorites to win the states in A. Not sure they will. Guilfoyle is solid again.

Pittsburgh Central is a team WPIAL People brag about, but for as talented as they are. I'm not really impressed with them. They probably will get to Hershey, but won't win it. Think LaSalle is the favorite now after taking down St Joe's.

Probably the WPIAL best chances to win gold.

Got to think Imhotep/Wood winner will win it in AAA.

I think South Fayette or Aliquippa can win AA. Other than AAA I think the WPIAL CAN win A, AA and AAAA. The WPIAL from what I understand was very deep this year but anyway the games in Hershey should be good

Last edited:
Sammy is right. 4 teams in WPIAL AAAA beat anyone out of the East this year.

Yeah I know. I find it odd no one is giving them a chance. I would favor them to make the Eastern Final

I never said that I said that the WPIAL talent was deep and COULD WIN. And I put in caps so there would be no misunderstanding but I never said anything like What you said. And no need to be a dick or in Western PA Terms a jag off

Last edited:
South Fayette - Aliquippa...one for the ages today. Quips jump out to 14 pt. lead, SF scores 3 TDs unanswered and leads 24-22 at half. Quips jump back out by 14 in 3rd. SF ties it at 38. Quips win on trick play with 1 min left.

As a South Fayette fan...hard to swallow, but amazing game. The state's longest winning streak ends at 44 games...what a run. This senior class and what they accomplished will be remembered for a long time. 55-2 career record for the seniors on SF this year.

WPIAL Got to do something. 16-17 year olds shouldn't be driving from Pittsburgh after midnight.

The AAA game is still going at 11:30PM.

Watched the PCC-PT game. Biggest news going forward is Hamlin took a nasty shot to the knee and didn't return - Root Sports declined to show the replay - said it was too gruesome. Was on the sideline, but didn't play.

PCC took a 14-0 lead, but PT came back and tied the score. Turning point of the game was a tip and interception for TD by Wheele to take a 21-14 lead. PCC's offense was light's out the first drive of the game, but then really not much afterward - only other offensive TD was when Jones bounced an off tackle play to the sideline, broke an easy PT tackle, and sprinted 75 yards for TD.

I've said this before, but I think recipe for success is to stack the line to stop jones (by far the best offensive player on the team) and make them throw the ball. Reasonably effective throwing short, but medium and downfield passes (when people are actually covered) is not so great. Must get penetration against interior 3 olinemen as tackles are studs. (Although Thorpe needs to tone down his antics a little - going to cost his team big time one of these games.)

Defensively, they are flat out good - big and physical - although as game went on, PT did better moving the ball. It looked like PT came out scared at first, then found their grove a little.

Final thought - don't kick the ball to Jones either - dangerous, dangerous returner.

Reactions: ed o'brien
FYI PCC had 2 big Ronnie Jones TD's called back and Penn Trafford had the benefit of a number of Questionable calls that helped sustain their two TD drives. Central Catholic was clearly the better team and without help from the officiating they would have been blown out !

We're talking this year. I'll be getting back with you after December. Wpial best legue in pa high school football

House when you come back bring Murphman1975 with you. We are concerned about him, that ledge thing. He said he would be back too.

South Fayette - Aliquippa...one for the ages today. Quips jump out to 14 pt. lead, SF scores 3 TDs unanswered and leads 24-22 at half. Quips jump back out by 14 in 3rd. SF ties it at 38. Quips win on trick play with 1 min left.

As a South Fayette fan...hard to swallow, but amazing game. The state's longest winning streak ends at 44 games...what a run. This senior class and what they accomplished will be remembered for a long time. 55-2 career record for the seniors on SF this year.
That was a great run for S Fayette.I was particularly impressed with this years team following th 2 QB brothers graduating . I would like to see a West Catholic/Aliquippa final.

I love the WPIAL vs everyone else because it is the WPIAL vs everyone else. But most of the time the WPIAL has 1/2 of the teams in the title game and sometimes three teams in the games at Hershey and this is after they shifted D-3 west. Like I said the WPIAL COULD win three this year, will they who know maybe maybe not( that was for you fan just in case you did not read my first post) . But anyway good luck to all the teams over the next few weeks . But I guess if my sports teams were the Phillies, Flyers , Eagles and Sixers I would be a little uptight as well.

In order of likelihood of winning - most likely to least likely.

1. Clairton
2. Quips
3. PCC
4. TJ

Granted - I don't follow A, AA, and AAA that much.....

Looks good but Clairton, Aliquippa and Pitt CC all have a 50/50 shot of winning with Clairton being the favorite. Would like to see what TJs chances would be if they and Clairton would ever consolidate like many have talked about

The problem with Aliquippa when they get to to the final is they have no kicking game and that has cost them in the past.

New2pa you just can't give Central any credit can you. It's not in your DNA Is it. You had Penn Trafford beating Central by 2 TD 's , it didn't happen and now you have a grudge like so many others.

Last edited:
The problem with Aliquippa when they get to to the final is they have no kicking game and that has cost them in the past.

New2pa you just can't give Central any credit can you. It's not in your DNA Is it. You had Penn Trafford beating Central by 2 TD 's , it didn't happen and now you have a grudge like so many others.

The kicking is definitely a problem. I also think Aliquippa carries a special "mystique" in the WPIAL too. I think teams are intimidated by them and basically come in expecting to lose (except for SF in recent years) and the quips have certainly used that to their advantage. Over the years, once they get past Heinz Field they've often lost games that they probably should have won but those teams aren't afraid of them. It's a shame - they should have at least a few more state titles.

Regarding PCC - They beat PT (who beat 2 excellent teams in McKeesport and Pine Richland) and they they beat Woodland Hills. IMO any of those 5 teams would stand an excellent shot to represent the west in Hershey. To me PCC is the real deal, for once they actually seem to have the ability to run and throw. They are not overly dependent on their defense, they didn't seem to outcoach themselves, none of the players are acting as if they are more important than the team. Basically...all the various criticisms that I have had of them over the past decade or so seem to be cured this year. I definitely hope they pull it off this year!

That was a great run for S Fayette.I was particularly impressed with this years team following th 2 QB brothers graduating . I would like to see a West Catholic/Aliquippa final.

Saxton, the new QB looked amazing in the final the other night. Only a sophomore so he's got time to grow too. It's really too bad SF lost their star RB and best defensive player in Hunter Hayes in the 1st quarter. Might have been different, but still a great run (and phenomenal effort that night) nonetheless.

HaHa. So, when people pick against PCC then they have a grudge. Then yep, I do. I guess time will tell. Regarding their chances to win, I just don't see them as dominant as the other two I listed above them. They are less one dimensional than last year, but their offense still isn't great except for Ronnie Jones, who is a stud. I would say chances are 50-50.

Is Hamling playing?

Did you seen the SJP LaSalle game? That's a good team that they are going to have to beat to win it all. Not to mentioned the D3 winner. Maybe I am biased against PCC because we play in the same section, etc., but I also think I may be a little more objective when my team is out than an alum. But that's ok - you should be for them - that's your job as a fan.

LaSalle will have their hands full this week with Parkland. I'd say Pitt CC is the favorite this year for PIAA gold, but I'll hold final judgement after the results of the Parkland/LaSalle game.

This year's Pitt CC team is better than last year's PR team IMO, and PR played a very good game against SJP that has more talent the this year's LaSalle. But..., that is why you play the games and settle it on the field.

How many times have you seen Central live ? Just curious . LaSalle is good, but if they get to the final and if we get there too, I like our chances. central has more than Ronnie Jones. If it wasn't for 3 dropped passes and a borderline illegal man down field call, Fisher has close to 200 yards passing. The problem with Totten is if he can go conservative he will. Ronnie George might be a better RB than Jones. George was their RB last year but he broke his leg. So they stayed with Jones. Wait till you see next year's starting running back . Look out !​

I've seen them play twice so far this year. Wpial finals, and watched them beat Woody. I was very impressed with the defense. Losing Hamlin is a tough loss though. He was a beast against Woody.

Being able to pass the ball will be huge for PCC down the stretch. Their last PIAA finals showed zero balance on offense - even with a D1 player at QB. SJP just stacked the box and dared them to run.... and they did.

When I saw George last year the few carry's he had in the McK scrimmage, he looked very, very good - a specimen physically and a difference maker for sure. Jones just give them a different dimension in terms of speed and quickness tho.

Are you talking about the transfer from Kiski as the starting at RB next year, or some other kid?

Word from friends in D3 is Central Dauphin and Cumberland Valley are running scared but decided to show up anyway and give it a shot. What the heck, get another game in for next year since this one is already in the D7 bank.

Backing up a few years I remember a 2012 Aliquippa team some were calling their greatest in a long line of great teams....remember them?....that ran into Wyomissing who played lights out D and special teams to beat the Quips 17-14. 4-5 red zone stops, 52-yd FG, playing old school football the district is known for at all classifications. Can tell you no one in that district is cowed by other teams reps....eg Quips, Pitt CC, et al especially CD and CV types.

Speaking of AA, Berks Catholic has a team not as strong as 12-Wyo but good stuff. Same for Southern Columbia who may have won AA last year (at least East) til ravaged by injuries. Southern has an awesome team again with everyone back so I think AA is W I D E open.

We're not counting our chickens before the're hatched. I said if we get to Hershey. Which was taking into account our next game against St College and then the winner of the CD / Cv game. I've been around long enough to know any thing can happen. BTW speaking of old school New2pa is saying that Centrals weakness is that they play one dimensional which I suppose is old school power football . Interesting to say the least.

cD and CV don't have time to be running scared they're preparing for this weeks game . But I would like to hear a little bit about those two teams I know you like their front 7.

Last edited:
The problem with The Quips then and I assume now is no kicking game, no extra points or field goals. Big reason why they lost to a good team like wyamissing .

New2pa is saying that Centrals weakness is that they play one dimensional which I suppose is old school power football . Interesting to say the least.

I'm not alone in saying one dimension teams often lose.

Above, Wpial_HSFB said: "Their (PCC's) last PIAA finals showed zero balance on offense - even with a D1 player at QB. SJP just stacked the box and dared them to run.... and they did." Maybe that's not saying its why they lost, but its close.

Come one now - I think you need to own up to it. Coach Totten was smart enough after getting beat by SJP and twice by PR last year - both teams that used wide open offenses - that he needed to adapt on offense. Those sorts of offense can overcome talent shortcomings (and at least make a team spread out a little if you want to run.) To his credit, that is what he did this year to a certain extent. A ton of inside zone and 1 back power, throwing the ball out to WR's on run plays, etc. Particularly early this year. As the year wore down, PCC became more balanced but still spread it out a lot more than last year.

But hey, if Coach Totten wants to run power and counter up and down the field, more power to him. He's won alot and certainly knows what he is doing.

He's back to power because he has had the lead in bad weather. He has resorted to power football in that circumstance. This Qb can throw the ball and will if the circumstance dictates it. 2 years ago in the state championship game Consentino was knocked out in the second half. When that happened they were screwed. they were winning 10-9 at the Half. The difference now is they run a spread instead of a power l. Don't forget if they didn't have the inadvertent whistle and a couple of iffy interference and face mask penalty that should have gone the other way . Central could have had 3 in a row and Pine would have none all with a one dimension offense but I digress. And I don't xpect you to see it my way. And that is ancient history but aim making a point.

I went back and read what I wrote about the game. I think I said nice stuff about them. Not all rosy, but accurate! Darn tough crowd here! :)

Yeah pcc64 I've posted here a few times yapping with new2pa mentioning in some detail the issues CD has this year mostly with the passing game. Coach McNamee favors a passing attack as a viable weapon. It just hasn't developed this year the way it did 4 years ago, but they have great lines solid backs and a QB that can run. Plays best in pressure games. Best D-front I've ever seen at CD, here in D1 or on vids of others.

Don't forget if they didn't have the inadvertent whistle and a couple of iffy interference and face mask penalty that should have gone the other way . Central could have had 3 in a row and Pine would have none all with a one dimension offense but I digress. .

Facemask penalty was definitely bogus. Inadvertant whistle was unfortunate. But JP's fumble on first drive and the fake punt on their own 30 trailing by 7 in the 4th quarter certainly didn't help the cause either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT