ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL AAAA Rankings - Week 9

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Some changes in the rankings this week based on the big games between PR-PCC and Woody-Lebo.

1. Woodland Hills: Still #1 after a good win against a better-than-I-thought Mt. Lebanon team. Still not much of a passing attach, but Sanders and Shaw seem to deliver whenever needed. Need to become more consistent up front and defensively need to get better against the pass, particularly with an improved PCC passing attack or PR offense in the way.

2. Pittsburgh Central Catholic: Saw them first hand this week. Wow. I really wanted to put them #1, but couldn't pull the trigger. They have gotten things together. Their defense is big and plays very, very hard, and their offense is improved. They still like to run the ball more than pass, but at least last week, had a very opportunistic passing game with a solid Sophomore QB. Loaded with athletes everywhere on defense.

3. Penn-Trafford: No reason to move them down. Were stopped a few times versus Plum, but eventually got rolling. Solid on both sides of the ball, led by all-purpose football player Tim Vecchio. Have the size to challenge the big boys, but must be able to spread the ball out to win the WPIAL.

4. Pine-Richland: They also played their best game of the year versus PCC. Defense played lights out for 95% of the snaps - but 4 or 5 big plays killed them. All conference safety battaglia went out early and PCC picked on his replacement all night - to the tune of 2 TD's and 1 other big play. Rolled up over 400 yards offense against best defense I've seen in WPIAL. They will go as far as Jurkovec can carry them. He is a stud.

5. Mt. Lebanon: Jumping them ahead of NA because they showed an impressive run game versus Woody, and a very solid defense. Similar to the PCC-PR game, Woody scored or set up scores on big plays. If Lebo eliminates that, or finds just a little more offense, then they win that game. Can they find it soon enough? I think so and would pencil them in as a sleeper into the Semi-Finals.

6. NA: I'm sure they are improving, but they haven't played anyone to challenge them since Week 3 versus PCC. After thumping a winless Latrobe, they have arch-rival North Hills this week. Look for a bloodbath as Coach Walker won't take his foot off the accelerator till late.

7. McKeesport: Have played only one game that has been less than a 35pt win this year - Week 3 21-7 loss to #3 Penn Trafford. Haven't really followed them since then, so they could be a sleeper. Defense has been solid all year, even versus PT, where TD's were on very short field. But we won't know what this team is really about until the 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs. Another sleeper pick to the semi's.

8. Bethel Park: Very well coached team that has gone 6-1 after touch first two week (PCC and Woody). COuld have beat both teams at that point, but not enough firepower. I don't seem that changing, but will be a tough out, as passing game has improved tremendously over the season, and they have a very solid back in Terron Murphy.

9. USC: Have leading rusher in AAAA and will be coached up. But, do they have enough athletes to compete against the elite teams in AAAA. This week versus Lebo will be interesting. Biggest game of the year for USC, and can Lebo get up again after tough loss to Woody.

10. Seneca Valley: Haven't beat anybody with a winning record, or on the road, but have offensive talent at QB and WR to score points. Coach Vestal has them playing hard on defense.Cook (QB/DB) and Kressler (WR/DB) are top tier talent that can make plays

Reactions: lilromeo
Nice write up. We’re close new2pa but I always lean to the balanced teams over the one dimensional ones.

1.Pitt CC: I pulled the trigger for you new2pa….Ha.
2.Pine Richland: Wait til next year!
3.Penn Trafford: Will be fine so long as Laffoon throws a few; did a job on McKeesport
4.Woodland Hills: Still waiting for the semblance of a passing attack. otherwise wow.
5.Mount Lebanon: I think if Woodland Hills played at Lebo! They’re close.
6.North Allegheny: 28-14 home loss to Pine Rich a real concern as postseason approaches.
7.McKeesport: Blowing people away but I think the game is evolving past the Flex
8.Bethel Park; Not a bad team at all with big, physical “Leftie” Methany under center behind a decent experienced line but no bruisers (Smurfs Murphy, Doleno) in backfield that is now nicked.
9.USC: Decent QB, nice back but don’t pass enough. Should be tough at home with Lebo hung over.
10.Seneca Valley; Like you said and a brutal road schedule of NA, CC, PR and Norwin.

Reactions: new2pa and lilromeo
Haha - more guts than I had at the top! After seeing that game, it would be hard to argue those two aren't the best two... Pairing meeting on Monday will be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT